Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
I got a small macbook air 11 inch recently to work while traveling, etc, and I'm looking for some kinda game to run in the background and tab in out of whenever I have a moment. Something strategy-ish, preferably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Finding out that the main character of Nier is a guy in his middle ages was a nice surprise. I didn't even know that was possible in a JRPG.
It's ironic that you say that, because the player character in the Japanese version (Nier Replicant) is actually Yonah's young adult brother, not her middle-aged father.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there any game that came out recently that captures the feeling of being a pirate as well as Assassin's Creed IV? If so, can someone recommend me a game like that?

E: For the PC, or emulatable, recently being the last 10 years.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jan 27, 2014

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

Is there any game that came out recently that captures the feeling of being a pirate as well as Assassin's Creed IV? If so, can someone recommend me a game like that?

Sid Mier's Pirates remake came out in 2003 for xbox and PC. It's on steam and it's pretty fun. The original is also pretty sweet.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Nuclear War posted:

I got a small macbook air 11 inch recently to work while traveling, etc, and I'm looking for some kinda game to run in the background and tab in out of whenever I have a moment. Something strategy-ish, preferably.

When you want to become a real spergload, I would suggest you the Lazy Newb Pack for DF (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=128960).

Other than that, you could get yourself Widelands (Open Source The Settlers clone with a nice appeal) or probably Battle for Wesnoth, which is a turn base strategy game based on medival warfare and bla bla bla.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Turtlicious posted:

Sid Meier's Pirates or Sea Dogs/Age of Pirates series(latest in line is this one http://store.steampowered.com/app/223330/, but it's only in russian apparently)

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Nuclear War posted:

Panzer general style games are everywhere and pretty good for this kind of thing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nuclear War posted:

lenoon posted:

Panzer general style games are everywhere and pretty good for this kind of thing.

You can even play one right from your browser:
http://openpanzer.net/

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Nuclear War posted:

Also, just thought about OpenTTD again. It is what it says on the tin: Transport Tycoon Deluxe with a bit of an overhaul. It can be played nicely on any machine and is a game for inbetween as well.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

lenoon posted:

any special ones you would recommend?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Oh sorry should have done that! The original panzer general series are a little impenetrable but can now be found in what I'm pretty sure is freeware form as Panzer General forever. There's also a remake which I'm told is very good.

Turn based hex style wargaming which can be adjusted to be more/less spergy to taste. Perfect for tabbing in and out, runs on any old thing and takes up less space than an episode of tv, if that. It's not new or clever or anything but if you like turn based games, there's enough there to keep you tabbing in and out for a really long time. For free!

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.
So my friends and I have been rotating between worms and castle crashers and I've gotten bored with these two. It's usually three of us, are there any other games like this on steam? 4 player casual games? Another beat em up like castle crashes would be great.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

WayneCampbell posted:

So my friends and I have been rotating between worms and castle crashers and I've gotten bored with these two. It's usually three of us, are there any other games like this on steam? 4 player casual games? Another beat em up like castle crashes would be great.

Not a beat em up but Magicka is great fun for multiplayer.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
If I was going to buy one of the Total War games, which one should it be? Never played any of them at all. Don't really have a preference for any time period so it's mostly going to be decided on the specifics of each one. Heard the later ones have been pretty buggy on release but generally get smoothed out?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I'm thinking of trying my luck with a JRPG again, but I'm very picky.

JRPGs I have liked:
Chrono Trigger
Earthbound/Mother 3
Super Mario RPG/Paper Mario series
Grandia Series

The things I liked about these games was a lack of random battles, strong characters with well defined roles and powers, and some sort of twist to keep me from falling asleep during combat. Chrono Trigger had the dual techs, Mario RPG had active timed attacks and blocks, Grandia had the whole attack cancel mechanic and cool ways to manipulate timing. All of them had methods to either avoid or gain an advantage in battles.

I really can't deal with random battles. Something about them just builds up inside me every time they happen and makes me lose my will to live after a couple hours.

Gangringo fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 1, 2014

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

thebardyspoon posted:

If I was going to buy one of the Total War games, which one should it be? Never played any of them at all. Don't really have a preference for any time period so it's mostly going to be decided on the specifics of each one. Heard the later ones have been pretty buggy on release but generally get smoothed out?

Shogun 2 (and the Fall of the Samurai expansion) is the consensus best. It was actually pretty well polished and balanced on release. The newest one, Rome 2, still has serious problems AFAIK.

Gangringo posted:

Have you played Mother 3? Play Mother 3.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

Ceyton posted:

Have you played Mother 3? Play Mother 3.

Yes I have, sorry I didn't add it to my list.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Gangringo posted:

JRPGs I have liked:
Chrono Trigger
Earthbound/Mother 3
Grandia Series

The things I liked about these games was a lack of random battles, strong characters with well defined roles and powers, and some sort of twist to keep me from falling asleep during combat. Chrono Trigger had the dual techs, Mario RPG had active timed attacks and blocks, Grandia had the whole attack cancel mechanic and cool ways to manipulate timing. All of them had methods to either avoid or gain an advantage in battles.

I really can't deal with random battles. Something about them just builds up inside me every time they happen and makes me lose my will to live after a couple hours.

If you hate yourself, there's Eternal Sonata.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Gangringo posted:

JRPGs I have liked:
Chrono Trigger
Earthbound/Mother 3
Grandia Series

Get Persona 4.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Gangringo posted:

Yes I have, sorry I didn't add it to my list.

Yeah, I figured that would be too easy.

Are JARPGs ok? Secret of Mana / Secret of Evermore / Seiken Densetsu 3 are pretty good. FF12 fits your requirements as well.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

What's the difference between La Mulana and Spelunky and what should I play first?

They are both metroidvanias where you are an Indiana Jones exploring caves, right?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

fatherboxx posted:

What's the difference between La Mulana and Spelunky and what should I play first?

They are both metroidvanias where you are an Indiana Jones exploring caves, right?

No. La Mulana could be described that way, but Spelunky is a randomly generated platformer. It's essentially a Roguelike.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gangringo posted:

JRPGs I have liked:
Chrono Trigger
Earthbound/Mother 3
Grandia Series

Give the "Tales of" series a look, they sound like they'd be just what you're after. Tales of Xillia's a great game if you own a PS3, Tales of Vesperia if you own a 360, or Tales of the Abyss if you have a 3DS.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Gangringo posted:

JRPGs I have liked:
Chrono Trigger
Earthbound/Mother 3
Grandia Series

As one of the five and a quarter living beings on this planet who liked Chrono Cross, I'll recommend Chrono Cross.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

Gangringo posted:

I'd recommend Radiant Historia for the Nintendo DS to anyone who likes Chrono Trigger. It was the only original RPG I liked on the system (due to my hatred of first person dungeon crawlers). It was super rare a long time ago but I think Amazon has it for $30 right now.

It has random battles but a few people I know who typically don't like jRPGs enjoyed Shadow Hearts Covenant for the PS2.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

fatherboxx posted:

Spelunky: Have fun and cool adventures where you learn something new or have a laugh every time you die! (You will die often)

La Mulana: Have fun and cool adventures 25% of the time and spend the rest backtracking for clues what to do next, and get endlessly frustrated every time you die because you probably don't even know how it happened! (You will die often)

Spelunky isn't really a metroidvania, you don't keep your equipment on death and the maps are both in a linear order and randomly generated. But it is still one of the most fun and rewarding games of the past few years.

La Mulana is strictly a metroidvania, but one where most of the time is spent figuring out how to proceed. Maybe it could be an improvement for the genre that Metroid bomb blocks are replaced with riddles, but the puzzles are obtuse in ways that our frail gaijin minds might never figure out on our own. Playing with a walkthrough was a necessity for the patch-translated original, I'm not sure about the remake though. It does actually come highly recommended if you can stick with the game and aren't afraid of keeping a map open to look at when you're stuck.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
If you have a 3DS then Fire Emblem is a strategy JRPG that's drat good and fits all your criteria. You pick battles from a map and always have lots of choices. They're grid-based with some awesome mechanics but they don't take too long. Each character ends up being very specialized too. Just when you think your flying unit isn't pulling its weight and is way too squishy you hop over some terrain and trivialize a scenario.

I should play it again now that I finished the Bravely Default demo. (Which is great but has random battles.)

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012

Gangringo posted:

JRPGs I have liked:
Chrono Trigger
Earthbound/Mother 3
Grandia Series

I'd recommend Tales of Xillia as well. There are no random battles since the monsters roam right on the field and the battle system is real-time sort of like the old Star Ocean RPG's. It's the first JRPG I've beaten in years if that tells you anything about how good it is.

Kelow
Jan 29, 2013
If someone already recomended this ignore the post.

One game series that always stayed in my mind since i played is the Ultima series. Tho the first 5 games can be pretty hard to play (cause of the no conversation trees).

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Give the "Tales of" series a look, they sound like they'd be just what you're after. Tales of Xillia's a great game if you own a PS3, Tales of Vesperia if you own a 360, or Tales of the Abyss if you have a 3DS.

Any good games in the series for PS2 or Gamecube? I plan on picking up the last-gen systems to play the exclusives I missed but haven't yet.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Gangringo posted:

Any good games in the series for PS2 or Gamecube? I plan on picking up the last-gen systems to play the exclusives I missed but haven't yet.
Tales of Symphonia for the GameCube is arguably the best in the series.

Edit: Yeah, never mind, wait for the PS3 edition.

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 2, 2014

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Urdnot Fire posted:

Tales of Symphonia for the GameCube is arguably the best in the series

It should be noted that ToS and its sequal are getting a HD port pretty shortly.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Are there any decent Gran Turismo/Forza style racers for PC? I just picked up Dirt 3 in the latest humble bundle but I'd like something a little closer to the console options. Tuning is not important, although I want upgrades and a sense of progression. I like racing cars in circles and winning money to upgrade/buy new cars to race in newer harder races :allears:

I picked up Test Drive Unlimited 2 in the winter sale and it was almost good, but it takes the drat thing like 3 minutes to gently caress around with their server checking for updates before it bothers to let me play, and it annoyed me that there were no subtitles (although if they'd leave the "story" out of the game it would be better for it). There's some Early Access stuff on Steam like Assetto Corsa that I'm curious about, but it's Early Access and 40 bucks...

[edit]hoooooly poo poo Dirt 3 has no subtitles AND won't let you skip dialogue so you sit there staring at the little speech symbol waiting for it to let you actually play the loving game. I want to strangle the whole design team...

Tagra fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 2, 2014

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Gangringo posted:

Tales of the Abyss is the only good one on PS2. Don't buy Legendia.

Also, if you're buying a PS2 try and track down Persona 3: FES and Persona 4 (especially the latter.) They should scratch that JRPG itch for you.

The plots of 3 and 4 are not connected in any way (except for a short cameo section of some of 3's side characters in 4) so feel free to jump into the later game. It's the better one anyways.

EDIT: \/ that's the one, though IIRC it was more that they thought the "character stories" section of the script meant sidequests when budgeting. We would've probably had the second half voiced, but silent skits had they realized this.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 2, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Isn't Legendia the one where they didn't even voice half the game because the localization team got fooled by the second set of fake out credits?

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
For the PC: I'm looking for a casual, singeplayer, campaign/career focused racing game. Something that's playable with arrow keys.
The only game I've played in this type is Need For Speed: Most Wanted (2005) but I was wondering if any more recent/better games in the same line have appeared.
I know lots of NFS games have appeared, but they seem to have gone more multiplayer oriented, that is why I'm asking.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Kalenden posted:

For the PC: I'm looking for a casual, singeplayer, campaign/career focused racing game. Something that's playable with arrow keys.
The only game I've played in this type is Need For Speed: Most Wanted (2005) but I was wondering if any more recent/better games in the same line have appeared.
I know lots of NFS games have appeared, but they seem to have gone more multiplayer oriented, that is why I'm asking.

Burnout Paradise, full stop.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit is fantastic in single player.

Tagra posted:

Are there any decent Gran Turismo/Forza style racers for PC? I just picked up Dirt 3 in the latest humble bundle but I'd like something a little closer to the console options. Tuning is not important, although I want upgrades and a sense of progression. I like racing cars in circles and winning money to upgrade/buy new cars to race in newer harder races :allears:

I picked up Test Drive Unlimited 2 in the winter sale and it was almost good, but it takes the drat thing like 3 minutes to gently caress around with their server checking for updates before it bothers to let me play, and it annoyed me that there were no subtitles (although if they'd leave the "story" out of the game it would be better for it). There's some Early Access stuff on Steam like Assetto Corsa that I'm curious about, but it's Early Access and 40 bucks...

[edit]hoooooly poo poo Dirt 3 has no subtitles AND won't let you skip dialogue so you sit there staring at the little speech symbol waiting for it to let you actually play the loving game. I want to strangle the whole design team...

Shift 2 is great.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kalenden posted:

How Casual? Because Sonic Racing Transformed is surprisingly a really good kart racer with a great single player campaign but it might not be what you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

How Casual? Because Sonic Racing Transformed is surprisingly a really good kart racer with a great single player campaign but it might not be what you're looking for.

Good question! Casual is probably the wrong word. What I meant is "realistic but not overly so", NFS:Most Wanted being the prime example.

The Burnout Paradise suggestion looks like it doesn't really have a campaign? But more sand boxy?
What I want is really something that provides incremental upgrades (both in upgrading cars and acquiring new ones), a semi decent storyline/campaign and some racing fun. Most Wanted, again, being the example.

Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit looks more like what I meant, but seems to also not be that big on a story/campaign. I'll check it out further though!

In the mean time, other suggestions are also welcome.