Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Hey, anybody seen this new minicon combiner team? It actually looks kinda neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8WVQCFNtvI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Timby posted:

Hahaha, holy poo poo, is Bay seriously going to kill Optimus in the second and fourth movies?

Maybe just enough damage/repair to justify the new alt form?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

revtoiletduck posted:

Maybe just enough damage/repair to justify the new alt form?

He gets paralyzed, that's why he has to ride Grimlock.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

He gets paralyzed, that's why he has to ride Grimlock.

Did the movie really need an excuse for that?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Me Grimlock no wheelchair, Me King!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

catch22 posted:

Did the movie really need an excuse for that?

Me Grimlock no horse, but me Grimlock cannot say no to a disabled robot.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Zaa Boogie posted:

Hey, anybody seen this new minicon combiner team? It actually looks kinda neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8WVQCFNtvI

I like them, I surely hope they get a nice redeco. Drab green with black isn't that appealing.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Iced Cocoa posted:

Someone's day is going to get ruined.

A truck riding a dinosaur.

never thought I'd see the day.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
The weirdest thing is how resistant Michael Bay was to the Dinobots for so long. It's like he was refusing his destiny, but now he has become who he was born to be.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Keldroc posted:

The weirdest thing is how resistant Michael Bay was to the Dinobots for so long. It's like he was refusing his destiny, but now he has become who he was born to be.

He was just waiting for the IMAX 3D camera to be invented, whether he knows it or not. AoE will be the first movie to be shot in the format.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Keldroc posted:

but now he has become who he was born to be.

Woah woah woah, he's been a lovely director for quite a few movies now. We're pretty sure he was already what he was born to be by the time Armageddon came around.

The Rock was a fluke.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

Woah woah woah, he's been a lovely director for quite a few movies now. We're pretty sure he was already what he was born to be by the time Armageddon came around.

The Rock was a fluke.

I would argue that the Transformers movies have allowed Bay to reach the lovely director equivalent of Super Saiyan.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

I liked the first movie and hated the other two. This one...uh, that trailer looked pretty neato.

EDIT: I know multiple people have posted the "IDW timeline" for the comics, but do those include when the various "Spotlight" comics fit in? I was thinking I'd go back through the whole mess in order before "season two" starts up, but Spotlight bounces alllll over the place if I recall.

GrimGypsy fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Feb 3, 2014

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

GrimGypsy posted:

EDIT: I know multiple people have posted the "IDW timeline" for the comics, but do those include when the various "Spotlight" comics fit in? I was thinking I'd go back through the whole mess in order before "season two" starts up, but Spotlight bounces alllll over the place if I recall.
You can look up the read order on TFwiki maybe without being spoiled, but to sum it up basically the first set of spotlights you can largely read whenever early on (shockwave to Wheelie) as most of them happen in or deal with the past. Many are side or dream stories, or annoying. Cylconus, Doubledealer, Hardhead and Sideswipe finish off Furman's original Dead Universe thing, so those go after the last 'tion run. I believe Maximum Dinobots comes after the Dead Universe thing.

The Blurr one you don't really need to read since they explained what happened in RiD since it got partially retconned, but it deals with the past. Cliffjumper and Jazz are side stories though the Jazz one is fantastic. Drift directly leads into AHM, Metroplex is awesome but makes no sense, Prowl happens before the ongoing but is sort of a weird bandaid to why Prowl stopped being a dick for a little bit then was a dick again.

Of the new ones Orion Pax/Thundercracker are pre-Earth, so before AHM/ongoing early war. The Megatron one is right after Heart Like a Wheel (about 15 in the ongoing I believe) and then Bumblebee is right before the end of Chaos I believe.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Iced Cocoa posted:

Someone's day is going to get ruined.

Holy cow, Grimlock is enormous. He totally dwarfs Prime.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

He's gonna need to be giant to fight gun head dude.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I wonder if the guy who is walking slowly in front of the big ship at the beginning is Galvatron.

Marky Mark is infinitely more likable than Shia LeBeef and Megan Fox and Grimlock looks pretty rad. I... might consider seeing this in the theater.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Some people are saying that giant ship is Scorponok ... oh the toy opportunities!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

I wonder if the guy who is walking slowly in front of the big ship at the beginning is Galvatron.
Oh I thought it was Lockdown. It looked like Optimus intercepts the one 'con (you can see the silvery guy's body underneath him in the one shot), then gets gunned down by Lockdown and captured.

The one set of stills is Optimus hanging up and being tortured or something, isn't it?

Granted trying to discern order from a Bay trailer is madness, but you know.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Scorponok was Blackout's little henchman in the first movie, but the tank dude was called Devastator and they went ahead and put the actual Devastator made of Constructicons in the second movie. (Although said tank guy was referred to as "Brawl" on all the toys.) Michael Bay doesn't bother with nerd poo poo like consistency or trying to prevent continuity errors between shots.

Spiderdrake posted:

Oh I thought it was Lockdown. It looked like Optimus intercepts the one 'con (you can see the silvery guy's body underneath him in the one shot), then gets gunned down by Lockdown and captured.

The one set of stills is Optimus hanging up and being tortured or something, isn't it?

Granted trying to discern order from a Bay trailer is madness, but you know.

I dunno, it's really hard to tell whats going on or who characters are in Bay movies. Are the guy at the beginning, the grey robot who slices that car in half, and the guy with the gun head all the same dude? I dunno. Doesn't look like he has an earth alt mode and seems kinda plain looking. Could be Lockdown, could be Galvatron, could be Wheelie for all I know.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 3, 2014

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

therealjon_ posted:

Some people are saying that giant ship is Scorponok ... oh the toy opportunities!

Next Generations Titan class toy, G1 Scorponok.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

I dunno, it's really hard to tell whats going on or who characters are in Bay movies. Are the guy at the beginning, the grey robot who slices that car in half, and the guy with the gun head all the same dude? I dunno. Doesn't look like he has an earth alt mode and seems kinda plain looking. Could be Lockdown, could be Galvatron, could be Wheelie for all I know.
I meant there's a guy at the beginning walking, who is gunface. Gunface before his face guns resembled Lockdown to me for some reason. Then there's a silvery dude slicing a car, and I think his carcass is under Optimus in the shots where Optimus gets shot.

And I agree, but it's fun to sort of make guesses. Primarily because we know we're wrong and yeah it's probably Wheelie and Skullcruncher or something.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
"Gunface" is Lockdown, and the guy slowly walking at the beginning is him too. In the face transformation sequence, you can see a Lamborghini logo at the bottom of the frame.

The scene with the red car could be the same car as in this official photo:

which looks like a test track. I know they were filming at the General Motors Proving Grounds in Milford, MI (I'm from the Detroit area where that is near) which has a test track, and satellite images show similar forested areas around it. Somebody on TFW was speculating that this robot was human-made because the glowing chest is a power source instead of a spark chamber. The humans must be testing the robots there. If that robot/whatever below Optimus when he gets shot is the same, I'm not sure.

Edit: Ok another post on TFW shows that the car slicer and the robot underneath Optimus are the same, but that's not the same location between the scenes.

Edit: And that the robot is Galvatron and transforms into the Freightliner Argosy. Perhaps the humans took Megatron's parts and rebuilt him?

HiriseSoftware fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 3, 2014

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

When Optimus is being hung upside down, the robot standing beside it is retracting what appears to be some sort of chainsaw into its arm. I think Animated Lockdown had that weapon as well.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Does green parachute Transformer have a cyber trenchcoat on? Because that is amazing.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rei_ posted:

Optimus Prime, killed by a face. rip.

I'm so loving hyped.

Yeah you can't tell me now that these movies are iaccidentally terrible. He's doing this poo poo on purpose.

fe: Movie Prime being shot up by a face is like a perfect example of Morrisetian irony.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Phy posted:

Yeah you can't tell me now that these movies are iaccidentally terrible. He's doing this poo poo on purpose.

Bay strikes me as the kind of guy that would get off on knowingly making GBS threads all over a franchise while making money hand over fist.

He is the living embodiment of "laughing all the way to the bank"

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

therealjon_ posted:

Does green parachute Transformer have a cyber trenchcoat on? Because that is amazing.

His Decepticon nemesis is slated to sport a robo-fedora.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Heh, I believe you mean trilbot. :smug:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Cobalt60 posted:

His Decepticon nemesis is slated to sport a robo-fedora.

His face looks like Beast machines Rattrap.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Phy posted:

fe: Movie Prime being shot up by a face is like a perfect example of Morrisetian irony.

I think it's a combination of both. Obviously the toilet humor and racist moron robots are intentional. But I don't think the inept writing and complete lack of thought toward character behavior is intentional, I think Bay's just bad at that part of filmmaking. He always has been. If you take all the bodily function jokes out of the TF movies, you're left with something that's about half "carelessly stupid covered with loud explosions" like Pearl Harbor and half "callous meanness disguised as cool/funny behavior" like Pain & Gain. It's his style, and in that sense is "on purpose," but I don't think Bay thinks it's terrible by any means.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I think at some point they just straight up threw the idea of writing Prime as any real heroic character out the window and now he's just this lovely warlord who happens to get by on virtue of being a giant robot.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

Spotlight Stuff

Thank you! I've read pretty much everything already, but all out of order and disjointed.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571842

I agree with Terry, there's more to Bay than meets the eye.

It's what you get when "artists" who are also crazy get to make movies. Professor Clumsy wants the same treatment for the Marvel Cinematic Universe, or something very much like it. :v:

At this point I'm not as emotionally invested in Transformers 4 being the best thing ever. Expectations: managed.

The Minicon combiner team is neat, but worse than the butt-face is the almost completely hollow chest cavity. The plane guy doesn't have elbows, so the arms sort of touch the plane's cockpit or wings in the combined mode. There's no room to tuck the arms under the helicopter unless you want the front part to fall off.

It's become obvious to me that the pack-in comics for this wave are the reason for Dark Cybertron's existence. Taken on their own, they seem kind of cool and might cause you to start reading the books, but when you're already reading the comics the crossover is really dragging it's rear end.

I would have preferred Spotlights, even as mediocre as the last wave's were. Though I thought Hoist's was a little above the level one would expect for a child's toy.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Rei_ posted:

I think at some point they just straight up threw the idea of writing Prime as any real heroic character out the window and now he's just this lovely warlord who happens to get by on virtue of being a giant robot.

I still think the psychotic Prime actually is Bay's idea of what a hero is. Like if he read this conversation he'd say, "What are they talking about, Optimus kills the bad guys, that's what heroes do!"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Keldroc posted:

I still think the psychotic Prime actually is Bay's idea of what a hero is. Like if he read this conversation he'd say, "What are they talking about, Optimus kills the bad guys, that's what heroes do!"

So what you're saying is that Bay is the ideal director for a Stardust The Super-Wizard vehicle

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Phy posted:

So what you're saying is that Bay is the ideal director for a Stardust The Super-Wizard vehicle

!!!

gently caress.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Phy posted:

Not gonna lie, I'd watch that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Actually, on second thought, I dunno. Stardust was generally more creative than just killing bad guys. Like, they will often end up dead, but not before being turned into a tiny person with a giant head then being dropped into a pit of 100 slow poison snakes (only 3 actually drawn).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Someone edited together the best bits of the Bay films:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtu62Gklgso