Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Sefer posted:

Since the tiers aren't limited, it could have been good if hitting the point where the next level of stretch goals started moved a bunch of people to the next level, but it could likewise have been bad if people start dropping out of the high tiers near the end so that stretch goals become relocked and more people drop down. I'm pretty sure something like that happened to Damage Report, which also had higher levels that originally weren't any different than lower levels until stretch goals were unlocked. They eventually ended up changing that- something along the lines of "if this reward isn't unlocked, you get this instead, and if this one isn't unlocked you still get it, just later than you get it if the goal is met."

For me, having multiple tiers of stretch reward at all is hugely offputting, especially if I can't justify backing at the levels that get all the stuff (which I certainly can't here. Putting down over $300 on an untested boardgame from a brand new company? Even if I had the cash to spare, that'd be nuts.). A big part of the reason to back boardgame kickstarters is to get the Kickstarter bonuses - you're not generally saving money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

GrandpaPants posted:

As neat as this game looks, I have no idea why your friend (or whoever set up the KS) set up the shipping the way they have. People in the US aren't really used to "adding $5 for shipping," since a lot of people assume that it would be included in the cost of their tier, whereas I assume the rest of the world cares because it tends to be an issue. That is to say, by not putting the early bird tier as $25 instead of $20, Americans may not realize that they need to pony up more for shipping, or else your friend is going to get a lot of people NOT paying for shipping and be in the hole.

If I wanted to be cynical about it, I would have assumed they chose $20 as the (early bird) tier for the psychological effect, since the difference between $20 and $25 in our dumb brains is a substantial gap, even if a $5 difference ultimately is not.

I actually said the same thing to him. Apparently pretty much everybody but the guy who actually set up the kickstarter (not him) were against setting it up that way, but that one guy is convinced that this is way better. I'm actually pretty curious to see if Americans are actually going to be good about putting down the extra money or not, and how dealing with the people who didn't is going to work for them.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
So after grousing about Fireteam Zero, I encountered Whiskey Foxtrot Tango

$130 for the game. Have a look at that video.

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1637945166/scarlet-heroes-rpg looks like a cool little project. Yet another throw-back old-school style game, but the big sell for me here so far is that it's supposed to let you use existing modules to play with one or two characters rather than a full party. I haven't had a look at the rules yet, but once you pledge you get access to the quickstart rules.

Same guy who did Spears of the Dawn and Stars Without Number. Looks like the book is text-complete and just needs funding for finishing the art.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Spears of the Dawn is fantastic and was a really well run KS.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

outlier posted:

That was the best video ever.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I stumbled on Lagoon: Land of Druids. Looks like an interesting game with some colorful artwork, and the Kickstarter itself doesn't seem to have anything overtly wrong with it aside from the endorsements from the standard stable of reviewers who get paid for their praise. The game even has a (draft) rulebook and print and play options to try out yourself. The other rules quirk is that the game comes with 4 players worth of tokens, but the Kickstarter itself explicitly says that 4 players doesn't really work, which is strange to me. Doubly so since they're adding a fifth player as a stretch goal?

Anyone heard anything about this?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

outlier posted:

It's actually $150 for the game. But what if that's too rich for your blood? Well check out some of the less expensive reward tiers.

quote:

Pledge $25 or more

Above mentioned reward [credited and thanked] and artwork from the game cards (artwork will be emailed as .jpg files)

That's right, just $25 gets you your very own collection of .jpgs. Order now!

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Accursed posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1637945166/scarlet-heroes-rpg looks like a cool little project. Yet another throw-back old-school style game, but the big sell for me here so far is that it's supposed to let you use existing modules to play with one or two characters rather than a full party. I haven't had a look at the rules yet, but once you pledge you get access to the quickstart rules.

Same guy who did Spears of the Dawn and Stars Without Number. Looks like the book is text-complete and just needs funding for finishing the art.

They are pretty awesome. The system is an expanded, stand-alone version of this supplement, if you want an idea of what your money gets.

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

NuclearPotato posted:

They are pretty awesome. The system is an expanded, stand-alone version of this supplement, if you want an idea of what your money gets.

Looks/sounds like a back for me, then. Thanks!

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

For $22 (well $27) I may just jump aboard for Nika. I usually prefer my boardgames to be cluttered and obnoxiously overcomplicated ameritrash but hey I dig the hoplite theme.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Accursed posted:

The quickstart was a stretch goal and isn't done yet. What you get for pledging is the full game with about half the final art, and it's really good stuff. Link's in the first update.

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

chrisoya posted:

The quickstart was a stretch goal and isn't done yet. What you get for pledging is the full game with about half the final art, and it's really good stuff. Link's in the first update.

Sorry, I meant to say the beta, not the quickstart.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

OtspIII posted:

I actually said the same thing to him. Apparently pretty much everybody but the guy who actually set up the kickstarter (not him) were against setting it up that way, but that one guy is convinced that this is way better. I'm actually pretty curious to see if Americans are actually going to be good about putting down the extra money or not, and how dealing with the people who didn't is going to work for them.

You might want to somehow convince him because I don't imagine this ending up well for him. It's basically the same principle as a mail in rebate, in that people are supposed to do additional work to get the benefit, except in reverse, in that he'll be the one getting screwed instead of the customers. I mean, there's really no good scenario here. Either he's short $5 per order, which is about 20% of the total, or he's going to stiff a bunch of people who didn't pony up the $5 for shipping, which is going to result in a sizeable backlash. Maybe this is just my pessimism speaking, but not everyone is going to see this, no matter how many times he indicates that shipping costs extra. Hell, I almost missed it myself and the reason I pulled out of a pledge is because this simple thing gives me the impression he has no idea what he's doing on the business side of things.

When shipping is like the #1 reason most Kickstarters see a surprising loss of money (in that they fail to properly account for it), making shipping even more complicated sounds like a stupid, stupid idea.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

I stumbled on Lagoon: Land of Druids. Looks like an interesting game with some colorful artwork, and the Kickstarter itself doesn't seem to have anything overtly wrong with it aside from the endorsements from the standard stable of reviewers who get paid for their praise. The game even has a (draft) rulebook and print and play options to try out yourself. The other rules quirk is that the game comes with 4 players worth of tokens, but the Kickstarter itself explicitly says that 4 players doesn't really work, which is strange to me. Doubly so since they're adding a fifth player as a stretch goal?

Anyone heard anything about this?

Fifth player is already unlocked, but where does it say 4 players doesn't work well? I see near the beginning that it says a 4-player game is played in two teams, but that's it.

quote:

Lagoon: Land of Druids supports 2-4 players. Most games are completed in 60 minutes or less. A game with 4 is a team game. "The team actually works really well," says UndeadViking in his video review below ("What People Are Saying" section).

Emphasis mine. Did you mis-read this sentence?

I'm pretty tempted, this looks like a nice game and $35 is a reasonable price point.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Fifth player is already unlocked, but where does it say 4 players doesn't work well? I see near the beginning that it says a 4-player game is played in two teams, but that's it.

Emphasis mine. Did you mis-read this sentence?

I'm pretty tempted, this looks like a nice game and $35 is a reasonable price point.

I think he misread the bit later about how a four player free-for-all game doesn't work well.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Maybe "not works well" is a misphrasing, but it was based on the note on the fifth player tokens:

quote:

Please note, however, that the addition of these tokens does not allow Lagoon to support 5 players. The balance of Lagoon's game dynamics is excellent with 2 and 3 players, but it does not scale well to 4 or 5 individual players. This is why the 4 player game is played with teams, which feels different but truly makes for a very fun, balanced experience.

I missed the "individual" after 4 or 5, so I guess what I meant is that past 3 it just becomes a team game, which is sort of eh to me. I mean, it's not like there's a dearth of games that work well at 4 or 5 players, so I'm content to keeping it to a 3 player affair, which is actually surprisingly hard to find good games for, but it still makes for a weird stretch goal, especially since I assume one dude is just by himself.

Still, the game looks nice and sounds interesting, so I'm keeping an eye on the Kickstarter. I just wanted to share an interesting find, with perhaps the ulterior motive of someone else trying to assess risk factors in case I missed anything.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh, yeah I missed that part. It is weird to have a fifth player as a stretch for a game that's optimally 2-3.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Maybe "not works well" is a misphrasing, but it was based on the note on the fifth player tokens:

I missed the "individual" after 4 or 5, so I guess what I meant is that past 3 it just becomes a team game, which is sort of eh to me. I mean, it's not like there's a dearth of games that work well at 4 or 5 players, so I'm content to keeping it to a 3 player affair, which is actually surprisingly hard to find good games for, but it still makes for a weird stretch goal, especially since I assume one dude is just by himself.

Still, the game looks nice and sounds interesting, so I'm keeping an eye on the Kickstarter. I just wanted to share an interesting find, with perhaps the ulterior motive of someone else trying to assess risk factors in case I missed anything.

Leperflesh posted:

Oh, yeah I missed that part. It is weird to have a fifth player as a stretch for a game that's optimally 2-3.

That stretch goal does note that it's to give a fifth option for token choice rather than enable a fifth player, though.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Thanks guys for bringing up Lagoon: Land of Druids multiple times guys. I actually decided to take a look after the last link and fell in love with the theme (and the gameplay itself sounds cool as well, always a plus in a game I suppose). Now pledging of course.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

This may have been mentioned previously, and I really need to stop browsing board game Kickstarters, but Fief - France 1429 is on its last week and it's doing FANTASTICALLY. They have a bunch of stretch goals unlocked, which are mostly pretty substantive, so things like expansions and extra options and whatnot. So much so that a "stretch goal bundle" to be released after the KS will cost $65, which is the cost of the game itself.

I obviously haven't played it, but it seems like the game is probably the closest thing you'll get Paradox's Crusader Kings in board game form, which is an interesting concept at the very least. Throw in the fact that this company has had numerous other successful Kickstarters, and I had no hesitation throwing money at this.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

This may have been mentioned previously, and I really need to stop browsing board game Kickstarters, but Fief - France 1429 is on its last week and it's doing FANTASTICALLY. They have a bunch of stretch goals unlocked, which are mostly pretty substantive, so things like expansions and extra options and whatnot. So much so that a "stretch goal bundle" to be released after the KS will cost $65, which is the cost of the game itself.

I obviously haven't played it, but it seems like the game is probably the closest thing you'll get Paradox's Crusader Kings in board game form, which is an interesting concept at the very least. Throw in the fact that this company has had numerous other successful Kickstarters, and I had no hesitation throwing money at this.

Yeah, Fief looks great. I'm trying so hard to cut back on these, but this is too good to pass up.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

This just in: a kickstarter for Matching Manatees. Given how much we play Matching Lions (lots and lots), I'm definitely getting this one.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I don't know if you guys have seen it yet, but Scoville looks really awesome. Due to lack of momentum and some grousing, TMG chose to eliminate the stretch goals and simply integrate materials for 6 players into the game, despite the cost to them.

The game still has some time to hit its goal, but I'd recommend checking it out.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

atholbrose posted:

This just in: a kickstarter for Matching Manatees. Given how much we play Matching Lions (lots and lots), I'm definitely getting this one.

Oh god it's about manatees being run over by boats :gonk:

It's still adorable :3:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Yeah I backed the hell out of that, this is what Kickstarter is all about.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

If it could play two payer I would be all over it. It is a fantastic looking game and I hope it plays as well as it looks.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Ropes4u posted:

If it could play two payer I would be all over it. It is a fantastic looking game and I hope it plays as well as it looks.

That's what's holding me back as well. I was wondering if you could somehow rig it to play with just two players (like, each person takes two families, but you can't make alliances between your two families, or something), but maybe that just defeats the purpose of the game entirely.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Ropes4u posted:

The comments suggest that the guy is working on 2p rules, but even so, I very much doubt it would be optimized for that considering how much of the game seems to involve making deals and being diplomatic.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Fat Dragon Games is doing a new fantasy village. It looks pretty neat but I honestly can't tell if it's a good deal for what it is. It seems like a lot for PDFs, but then you can print out fantasy Manhattan. Plus this guy obviously puts a lot of work into his stuff and it's nice to see him finally get paid up front instead of whatever he makes off Drivethru. Is this is an improvement over his existing Dragonshire stuff?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Tiny Epic Kingdoms is in its final 48 hours. It has blown past the $200k stretch goal, and the next stretch goal at $250k just makes some background stories on the different factions available for download, so what you see at this point is probably what you'll get. On the other hand, if it can hit $275k, you get the tokens and stuff for a fifth player, so that's a very significant target folks will be shooting for (although the rules for 5th player are already part of the Print and Play tier).

I'm in for the $24 level, which really seems to be a very good value, and so far this has been a very well-run campaign. The game looks to be pretty fun, too, and as a guy with a really full game shelf, I like the idea of a decent game that comes in a very small box.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Tiny Epic Kingdoms is in its final 48 hours. It has blown past the $200k stretch goal, and the next stretch goal at $250k just makes some background stories on the different factions available for download, so what you see at this point is probably what you'll get. On the other hand, if it can hit $275k, you get the tokens and stuff for a fifth player, so that's a very significant target folks will be shooting for (although the rules for 5th player are already part of the Print and Play tier).

I'm in for the $24 level, which really seems to be a very good value, and so far this has been a very well-run campaign. The game looks to be pretty fun, too, and as a guy with a really full game shelf, I like the idea of a decent game that comes in a very small box.

This game is setting the bar for me and kickstarter, it's the first game I have backed.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Is the $8 tier the only one with PnP? I'm reading some contradictory stuff on the page.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Fief just updated with a new add-on that sounds cool as poo poo: Metal coins based on actual medieval coins. I am tempted to use for everything because goddamn, metal coins.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

Fief just updated with a new add-on that sounds cool as poo poo: Metal coins based on actual medieval coins. I am tempted to use for everything because goddamn, metal coins.

So would it be a dick move to back for 2 bucks and throw in 20 extra for the coins? Because I have waaaay more interest in that item than the game itself.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Some Numbers posted:

Is the $8 tier the only one with PnP? I'm reading some contradictory stuff on the page.

It looks like any Deluxe pledge also includes the PnP, but the images seem to indicate that all non-Deluxe pledges do not.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

I'm not seeing contradictory. The PnP comes in the PnP only tier as well as any of the Deluxe tiers.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
My Futuristic Metal Coins just arrived (I'm in the UK):

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Carteret posted:

So would it be a dick move to back for 2 bucks and throw in 20 extra for the coins? Because I have waaaay more interest in that item than the game itself.

"You rear end in a top hat, stop giving me money!" - Something said by no one, ever.

But you might want to shoot an email or something to see if that's a viable route. They may have fulfillment issues that prevents them from just having metal coins or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Carteret posted:

The problem may be that the $2 pledge doesn't have any shipping associated with it so you may not be able to do that.

• Locked thread