Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a bunch of tickets came in.

A bunch of servers are down, 7 in total. Look into the issue, the Sr uninstalled the old AV ( Trend ) and installed a new AV (Symantec). He rebooted the servers and never checked if they came back up. There was an email thread discussing using a script to uninstall Trend. The admins for the management software we use advised that the script worked, but had a high possibility ( 2/3 of the time ) of locking up the server on reboot. Guess who decided to go with it anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

It is your fault, you know.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

blackswordca posted:

So a bunch of tickets came in.

You have to be part of the world's worst reality TV show, and they're placing bets on how long it takes you to break.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

blackswordca posted:

There was an email thread discussing using a script to uninstall Trend.

Sounds like entrapment to me, why are you always saving incriminating emails!

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
12 Laptops came in...

Last friday. They're going to be running windows w/ office and some specialized video software that requires installation via logmein from a remote company. This usually takes approximately forever, and I'll have 12 very grumpy very powerful people angry at me if these aren't ready by tomorrowish. I prepared a disk image on friday and got one fully imaged. Inspiration struck over the weekend when I realized I would only have all of today to get the rest of them imaged, and our FTP server that I use to store images doesn't have enough space left for an lzop/gzip-compressed version of this particular image, bzip will take too long, and it's not on the same subnet as all the meeting rooms which are the only place with enough free network/power outlets in the office to image 11 PCs at once, and is actually a hacked-to-bits google search appliance that I shouldn't be trusting with anything critical/time sensitive anyway. So right now I'm in the process of installing Ubuntu Server 12.04 on one of the new Dell Latitude e6530 laptops so it can be the FTP server for imaging the rest of the laptops with g4l. Then when I'm done I can just pop in the HD I initially used to take the compressed image. I feel cool, but dirty.

(Yes, I know there's FTP servers that work on windows, but I've never tested storing an image on an NTFS partition with G4L, and never used an FTP server on win7 for anything, and I need something that I know for absolute certain I can just start and walk away from worry-free. I'm on vacation for 4 days starting tomorrow. Yes ubuntu is a much sillier choice than something like arch or debian or freebsd, but it's the only server linux OS I've personally successfully run on newish laptop hardware, and I don't have a lot of time to learn new OSes today)

budget? what's a budget?

arnbiguous fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 3, 2014

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Man, the guy who's overseeing me for this merger just wondered out loud if the reason the Java and eTime aren't working is because they haven't linked our phone circuits yet.

This hurts me.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Theresa Frontpage posted:

12 Laptops came in...

Last friday. They're going to be running windows w/ office and some specialized video software that requires installation via logmein from a remote company. This usually takes approximately forever, and I'll have 12 very grumpy very powerful people angry at me if these aren't ready by tomorrowish. I prepared a disk image on friday and got one fully imaged. Inspiration struck over the weekend when I realized I would only have all of today to get the rest of them imaged, and our FTP server that I use to store images doesn't have enough space left for an lzop/gzip-compressed version of this particular image, bzip will take too long, and it's not on the same subnet as all the meeting rooms which are the only place with enough free network/power outlets in the office to image 11 PCs at once, and is actually a hacked-to-bits google search appliance that I shouldn't be trusting with anything critical/time sensitive anyway. So right now I'm in the process of installing Ubuntu Server 12.04 on one of the new Dell Latitude e6530 laptops so it can be the FTP server for imaging the rest of the laptops with g4l. Then when I'm done I can just pop in the HD I initially used to take the compressed image. I feel cool, but dirty.

(Yes, I know there's FTP servers that work on windows, but I've never tested storing an image on an NTFS partition with G4L, and never used an FTP server on win7 for anything, and I need something that I know for absolute certain I can just start and walk away from worry-free. I'm on vacation for 4 days starting tomorrow. Yes ubuntu is a much sillier choice than something like arch or debian or freebsd, but it's the only server linux OS I've personally successfully run on newish laptop hardware, and I don't have a lot of time to learn new OSes today)

budget? what's a budget?
Look at this dude/lady, finding their way out of the cave pod. Don't feel dirty.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

MG42 posted:

An "internet stopped working".
Turned out the finance department forgot to pay for the fortigate license and as a result the webfilter blocks every single webpage.
:sigh:

We got tired of people asking if there were any problems with the internet, so...:
(It reads internet is broken)

What does it say on the window?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Probably something along the lines of "need help?"

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
Haha it's working. Feels so strange to look at a textmode interface on a business laptop. This solution worked really awesomely and I'll probably use it again next time I need to image a bunch of computers on short notice. The power...

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.
A ticket came in.

quote:

The EPO [emergency power off] had been tripped in the NOC and our command console is without power. The entire data center is without power.

I am so glad I am no where near this issue.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Belial42 posted:

A ticket came in.

I am so glad I am no where near this issue.

Somehow, it's blackswordca's fault.

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.
The rumor floating around is that someone asked for EPO testing procedures shortly before the power was lost. Wonder if the cameras will pick anything up.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

12 Laptops came in...

budget? what's a budget?

In case you're wondering, Arch is not a good choice for enterprise Linux. Ubuntu actually is. But the filesystem permissioning won't be affected by NTFS, since FTP doesn't bother with it. The compressed image itself would have been fine on Windows.

Still :toot: for getting it working.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
This image was sent to me by the guy I am working under during this project. Apparently an error is there that I need to look at. This has not been resized or altered by me.

What a complete buffoon.

theangryamoeba
Sep 26, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

This image was sent to me by the guy I am working under during this project. Apparently an error is there that I need to look at. This has not been resized or altered by me.

What a complete buffoon.

It took me a couple of clicks to realize that this wasn't a thumbnail..

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

theangryamoeba posted:

It took me a couple of clicks to realize that this wasn't a thumbnail..

I feel pretty drat dumb for clicking it more than once, actually for clicking it at all because the icon didn't change when moused over.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

[sub](Yes, I know there's FTP servers that work on windows, but I've never tested storing an image on an NTFS partition with G4L, and never used an FTP server on win7 for anything, and I need something that I know for absolute certain I can just start and walk away from worry-free.

Right now you need to go and get FileZilla Server and get to know it well. This FTP server is as worry-free as you can get.

It's a freeware FTP server that runs on any flavor/version of Windows (32-bit and 64-bit), has bandwidth throttling and an internal user-permissions system so there are no external dependencies on AD or NTFS. It takes about zero seconds to install and configuration takes maybe two minutes.

I use this program all the time to stand up temporary FTP servers when someone needs a big file somewhere in a hurry. Installation and uninstallation doesn't even require a reboot.

It will only do FTPS though. If it did SFTP, I'd goddamn marry the thing.

You needs to be careful to download it from the right place, though because there are hacked versions of FileZilla out there that will steal your passwords and stuff.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 3, 2014

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Yeah, if it were a normal user, I'd just laugh and explain how to do it right. The fact that this guy is semi-supervising me in this thing while have no ability to comprehend any aspect of my job is just driving me nuts.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah, if it were a normal user, I'd just laugh and explain how to do it right. The fact that this guy is semi-supervising me in this thing while have no ability to comprehend any aspect of my job is just driving me nuts.

Welcome to IT.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I was up in Seattle two weeks ago at a location where a manager was using a temporary laptop. They were complaining about getting dumped off of wifi so I went to connect them to the ethernet socket on their Shoretel phone.

The laptop had no RJ45 port.

I immediately started looking for a little door to pop open or some other drat way of hiding the port. Nope, no port. It was a Latitude purchased before I was hired and I guess at some point within the last six years or so ethernet was still optional.

So I came back to L.A. and sent the user a USB ethernet adapter. Today she called me to get it installed. The driver software was acting stupid and I thought "Godammit this laptop has to have a goddamn ethernet port! It has to!"

I downloaded the manual and saw that it was indeed supposed to have one, so I asked the user to send me a picture of the side of her laptop where the port should be.

:negative:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

MF_James posted:

I feel pretty drat dumb for clicking it more than once, actually for clicking it at all because the icon didn't change when moused over.
Yea but you wised up pretty quickly. The average user would have submitted a ticket or something about it, and never use context clues.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Dick Trauma posted:

I was up in Seattle two weeks ago at a location where a manager was using a temporary laptop. They were complaining about getting dumped off of wifi so I went to connect them to the ethernet socket on their Shoretel phone.

The laptop had no RJ45 port.

I immediately started looking for a little door to pop open or some other drat way of hiding the port. Nope, no port. It was a Latitude purchased before I was hired and I guess at some point within the last six years or so ethernet was still optional.

So I came back to L.A. and sent the user a USB ethernet adapter. Today she called me to get it installed. The driver software was acting stupid and I thought "Godammit this laptop has to have a goddamn ethernet port! It has to!"

I downloaded the manual and saw that it was indeed supposed to have one, so I asked the user to send me a picture of the side of her laptop where the port should be.

:negative:

What does that USB go to? I'm guessing it's USB B?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Cojawfee posted:

What does that USB go to? I'm guessing it's USB B?

That USB cable goes to a small dock that had her ethernet cable plugged into it. I thought she had it properly plugged into a USB port on her laptop so I figured the dock was no good. I did not actually check to see what she had plugged that USB cable into.

She told me she has been dutifully plugging that USB cable in every morning. God bless her. :patriot:

EDIT: I should write a children's book called "Things that fit into a USB port"

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Dick Trauma posted:

I'd buy it.

It could be a second in the Mommy, Where do Servers Come From? series.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Dick Trauma posted:

Not going to lie, I've blindly shoved USB cords into ethernet ports on laptops more than once (why do so many manufacturers insist on putting those right next to each other?)

I can always tell something's wrong pretty fast, though, because I don't have to rotate the USB cord one or more times for it to go in. :downs:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Dick Trauma posted:

Just start a Tumblr: http://thingsfittingperfectlyintothings.tumblr.com/

I once spent like half an hour troubleshooting a printer where I'd tried to plug in a USB cord around the back by feel and found the NIC instead. USB A just fits so well into RJ45, it feels right if you don't notice the gap above and below.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Welcome to IT.

Oh, I know. I've just been lucky in that I've spent the last 3 years in positions where I was capable of telling someone they were an incompetent fuckhead and to not bother me again. :[

I'm basically spoiled at this point, I don't know if I can go back to working for shitheads.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Knormal posted:

I once spent like half an hour troubleshooting a printer where I'd tried to plug in a USB cord around the back by feel and found the NIC instead. USB A just fits so well into RJ45, it feels right if you don't notice the gap above and below.

Did that exact thing as well. Bonus that when I finally noticed it and plugged it in correctly it still didn't work. gently caress printers.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

AlternateAccount posted:

Oh, I know. I've just been lucky in that I've spent the last 3 years in positions where I was capable of telling someone they were an incompetent fuckhead and to not bother me again. :[
Imagine this situation reversed. You're not spoiled, unless you mean in the "spare the rod" sense. Getting over this will greatly help your career.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer

She's lucky she didn't mangle the pins in her NIC. Hell, I've even had an ethernet cable with some shmutz stuck between the gaps over the copper ruin the pins on three ports on switches at a site during setup for an important event before noticing the problem and having to tediously bend the pins meticulously back into shape, in a hurry. I also had to do that to about 50 pins on a CPU I dropped on the floor once, but that's a different story.

Related to imaging laptops thing: While I was in the basement setting up a switch and connecting the laptops to it I found a user who had been unable to connect to the network for THREE WEEKS. He had just been going upstairs and using somebody else's computer to check his email and such. I guess that's a No Ticket Came In...

He had moved offices and nobody told me and the network outlets in the office he was in weren't patched in to anything.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ursine Asylum posted:

I can always tell something's wrong pretty fast, though, because I don't have to rotate the USB cord one or more times for it to go in. :downs:
I tell people my everyday superpower is being able to insert a USB plug correctly in only two tries.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

Collateral Damage posted:

I tell people my everyday superpower is being able to insert a USB plug correctly in only two tries.

It always takes me 3.

Usually only two if I've unplugged it and tried to plug it back in without rotating it at all. USB is evil.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

evol262 posted:

Imagine this situation reversed. You're not spoiled, unless you mean in the "spare the rod" sense. Getting over this will greatly help your career.

Wait, what? This doesn't parse right for me.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

AlternateAccount posted:

Wait, what? This doesn't parse right for me.

It means:

Imagine writing an email or submitting a ticket about an unfamiliar issue and being told to get hosed.
"Spare the rod, spoil the child" in the sense that spoiled -> bad/bratty/petulant, not spoiled -> pampered.

Learning how to calmly, cogently explain issues to people without being smug no matter how stupid you think they are or how stupid the problem may be is a good career development.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

evol262 posted:

Learning how to calmly, cogently explain issues to people without being smug no matter how stupid you think they are or how stupid the problem may be is a good career development.
This is the single most important sentiment that I've wanted to post for a while, but who the gently caress am I to tell internet people that they may be acting like dicks to their co-workers? And those said co-workers being rear end in a top hat-y back? Feeding back resulting in more angry posts here?

Be a nice person even to the bad ones. Do a solid for that dude that asked you to fix a pc for his son or whatever (if its <30 minutes).

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

A c E posted:

It always takes me 3.

Usually only two if I've unplugged it and tried to plug it back in without rotating it at all. USB is evil.

USB is a special thing. Always reminds me of this:

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2388#comic

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

KoRMaK posted:

This is the single most important sentiment that I've wanted to post for a while, but who the gently caress am I to tell internet people that they may be acting like dicks to their co-workers? And those said co-workers being rear end in a top hat-y back? Feeding back resulting in more angry posts here?

Be a nice person even to the bad ones. Do a solid for that dude that asked you to fix a pc for his son or whatever (if its <30 minutes).

The realistic response is that the people in this thread probably generally are sane and chill to even the most abrasive of their technology-impaired flock, because being a BOFH does not generally keep you employed. This is (one of) the IT venting thread(s), where you come in, sit down, take a shot, and scream into your monitor for as long as it takes to feel better.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

KoRMaK posted:

Do a solid for that dude that asked you to fix a pc for his son or whatever (if its <30 minutes).

No no no NO NO. Never do this without payment or people will never leave you alone and proceed to walk all over you. You wouldn't get free service from a plumber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

GreenNight posted:

No no no NO NO. Never do this without payment or people will never leave you alone and proceed to walk all over you. You wouldn't get free service from a plumber.
You are absolutely right. Charge them for the 30 minutes, but offer to it to them politely. A lot of people are just looking for a dependable resource, and they're willing to pay for it.

• Locked thread