Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

The new Behemoth is aggressively ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
For those of you hitting up the Chicago Manowar concert this week(omg omg omg it's THIS loving WEEKEND), send me a PM or something. We're planning on hitting some bars, so if ya'll want to hang out, I'd be happy to see a friendly face(and maybe buy a beer or two).

I don't know about the rest of you, but I plan on pushing my fat rear end straight up to the stage. No way I am missing out on that.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Amon Amarth kicked serious rear end last night.

My neck hurts, but not from headbanging; some crowdsurfer fell on me.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
New Edguy album coming out April 18th! :toot: :woop:

It's titled SPACE POLICE - Defenders of The Crown, and here's a (way too small) picture of the cover art:

The title and the cover are just so absurd and terribly ridiculous, and I love them.

Tobias Sammet on the Avantasia FB page posted:

Hey folks, this is Tobi incarnate speaking, right to your Facebook account. Check this out, we recorded a pure epic heavy Edguy album, our record label demanded a Heavy Metal cover artwork, so who are we to not obey?! It's got 1. MONSTER 2. DAREDEVIL ACTION HERO 3. FANTASY SPACE SCAPE 4. IS HAND PAINTED 5. FIRE (coming out of the…) 6. …WEAPON

Now, not giving a poo poo and getting away with it: THAT is Metal!!! - Tobi

I do so love that man. :allears:

Just hoping the music itself will be good, their two last albums have been okay but not nearly as good as their better stuff (Mandrake, Hellfire Club, Rocket Ride).

Feb 8, 2008

Nordick posted:

So I decided to grab all three Keldian albums, and holy bleeding hell I can't get enough of these guys. I don't think I've ever heard such consistently awesome trio of subsequent albums before. I can't even begin to pick my favourite among these, they're just all so GOOD. The amount of good hooks and general melodic yumminess is off the loving scale.
Sure it's smooth and poppy as gently caress, but I can't bring myself to care.

These guys are amazing. They've pretty much captured all the good stuff of the last 20 years of Scandinavian power metal in their music. Outbound is, as far as I'm concerned, the best power metal album to come out last year. Also really impressed with the fact that it was completely crowd funded by them without a record companies help.

Well worth the $10 on their bandcamp
http://keldian.bandcamp.com/

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Colonial Air Force posted:

Amon Amarth kicked serious rear end last night.

My neck hurts, but not from headbanging; some crowdsurfer fell on me.

As soon as Johan Hegg walked out wearing a Bruins jersey you knew it was going to be a good show.

Seriously though, Amon Amarth kicked loving rear end. It was my first time seeing them and I was completely blown away. The crowd was crazy, I windmilled harder than I ever have, Hegg was amazing at audience interaction, the band was spot on in every way. The crowd was amazing too. The best metal performance of my life.

Enslaved were really good too, I wasn't too familiar with them but I thought they were amazing live. Skeletonwitch was fun as always, a good opener for the other too, and Chance Garnette was hilarious (BOSTON! GO EAT SOME loving PUSSY!")

Overall a blast of a show at a perfect venue. Great time.

Plus some kid in a wheelchair got lifted up and crowdsurfed to the front where he got to fistbump Hegg. That was loving awesome.

Also, Amon Amarth jersey. gently caress yes.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
So Týr released a music video for Lay of Our Love.

I don't know what the gently caress they were thinking.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Dead Man Posting posted:

Keep an eye out for Dark Space IV releasing in the next few months by the way.

For real? Best news. 2014 is looking ridiculous for new releases already!

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

edrith posted:

It's symbolism man

Songs not bad. Proud of my wife for recognizing both vocalists from the other room.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
That song is in fact incredibly bad dude

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

edrith posted:

How did the band that wrote Raganarok descend to this utter poo poo?

Also, the new Cynic album has given me some serious blue balls. Maybe I need to give it a few more chances, but man is it boring.

velvet milkman fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 3, 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Remember how people had arguments over whether Alcest and similar bands are or are not metal? Well the new Alcest is out and you can put those arguments to rest, it's absolutely a different genre at this point :v: he's gone full shoegaze.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Remember how people had arguments over whether Alcest and similar bands are or are not metal? Well the new Alcest is out and you can put those arguments to rest, it's absolutely a different genre at this point :v: he's gone full shoegaze.

Yeah. I absolutely love Alcest, but I couldn't make it past the first song on Shelter.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

QPZIL posted:

Yeah. I absolutely love Alcest, but I couldn't make it past the first song on Shelter.

The first song is utter garbage but the rest of the album is listenable. It's not metal in the slightest bit though and it's nowhere even close to as good as anything they released previously. Rip Alcest.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
gently caress alcest with a jackhammer. I'm just glad they finally dropped the black metal pretences, not like they did a lot of heavy lifting of it anyway.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of Alcest either.

Anyone got some more reccomendations for depressive black suicide funeral metal? Think like Nortt.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

Anyone got some more reccomendations for depressive black suicide funeral metal? Think like Nortt.

Xasthur and Weakling both fill the "depressive black suicide funeral metal" void for me. Ohhh, and Gris. Mgła's latest album, With Hearts Toward None is pretty depressive too.

Enjoy!

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

Elysian Blaze is great. Well, you'll enjoy it most if you like Esoteric's double albums and 36-minute funeral doom tracks. But it's pretty good.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Kvlt! posted:

Well, not DSBM, but for the best funeral doom, look no further than Skepticism. Also check out Thergothon.

QPZIL posted:

Weakling
"depressive black suicide funeral metal"
:confused:

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
The new Alcest is a pretty good shoegaze/post-rock record, if you're surprised by the change in direction I don't think you've really been paying attention.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Bruce Boxliker posted:

The new Alcest is a pretty good shoegaze/post-rock record, if you're surprised by the change in direction I don't think you've really been paying attention.

You could just listen to Slowdive though.

Also gonna chime in with my praise for The Satanist. Pretty much everything I want from a big name metal release. Really enjoying it.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Misogynist posted:

Oh hey it's just like OSI except their name is Headspace instead
The more immediate influence seemed like Tool but I didn't listen to the whole thing.

Dead Man Posting posted:

Keep an eye out for Dark Space IV releasing in the next few months by the way.
Definitely looking forward to this, only found out about it like last week when I put on Darkspace for the first time in ages.

nomapple posted:

You could just listen to Slowdive though.
eh, preferring Slowdive or whoever is totally understandable but I think Alcest's sound has been pretty distinct, I don't think it's one of those cases where it's just a watered down version, the aesthetic is not quite the same. I actually really enjoy the new album more than I expected, not really sure why because at the same time it seems kind of corny too (which isn't to say I'm a stranger to liking corny things)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thank you for the reccomendations everyone!

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
Just gave the new Grand Magus a full listen and it is excellent. Much better than The Hunt and more on par with Hammer of the North. Definitely worth a spin if you can. New Truckfighters and Hail Spirit Noir are good too. Lots of new goodies this year so far.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

Try Krohm and Mournful Congregation.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Really digging the new Innsmouth release. Killer early Samael vibes.

http://abysmalsounds.bandcamp.com/album/consumed-by-elder-sign

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

Houseplant posted:

Just gave the new Grand Magus a full listen and it is excellent. Much better than The Hunt and more on par with Hammer of the North. Definitely worth a spin if you can. New Truckfighters and Hail Spirit Noir are good too. Lots of new goodies this year so far.

This is good to hear, The Hunt was definitely meh compared to Hammer of the North and Iron Will. I'll be looking into it soon.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Save Target As posted:

This is good to hear, The Hunt was definitely meh compared to Hammer of the North and Iron Will. I'll be looking into it soon.

Yeah, I've heard mixed things about this one, but I'll give it a look. I love Hammer of the North, but The Hunt was lacking the "epicness" *shudder*.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
For some reason Keldian is doing an AMA on Reddit, like, now:
http://www.reddit.com/r/PowerMetal/comments/1wzzi6/keldian_is_here_ama/

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Got around to listening to the Voices album, pretty drat good. They have some ex Akercocke members which sparked my interest, that band ruled.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
Oh balls, Benighted's new album dropped. I didn't even know they had one coming out.

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay

Von Sloneker posted:

For some reason Keldian is doing an AMA on Reddit, like, now:
http://www.reddit.com/r/PowerMetal/comments/1wzzi6/keldian_is_here_ama/

I've never listened Keldian but what's a good starting point? I do love me some bombastic power metal a la Sonata Arctica, Luca Turilli/Rhapsody, Hammerfall, etc

JustTheWorst
Sep 14, 2008

Filled with delicious shrimp!

Iceberg-Slim posted:

I've never listened Keldian but what's a good starting point? I do love me some bombastic power metal a la Sonata Arctica, Luca Turilli/Rhapsody, Hammerfall, etc

Their third, Outbound, is a fantastic album. Haven't listened to nearly as much of the first two, but I've yet to find a song I don't like off of that one.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Neige has a good "black metal" voice tho but yeah, Alcest is not the same (shoegaze owns tho and im gonna check that new album soon).

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

QPZIL posted:

Xasthur and Weakling both fill the "depressive black suicide funeral metal" void for me. Ohhh, and Gris. Mgła's latest album, With Hearts Toward None is pretty depressive too.

Enjoy!

The first three albums from Shining (Sweden!). Especially The Eerie Cold. Holy poo poo.
And this EP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y37LP_5FrZw

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Vintersorg posted:

Neige has a good "black metal" voice tho but yeah, Alcest is not the same (shoegaze owns tho and im gonna check that new album soon).

It's no Voyages and as said here the first track is pretty weak, but it's otherwise pretty good.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!

Houseplant posted:

Oh balls, Benighted's new album dropped. I didn't even know they had one coming out.

Oh gently caress yes.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Houseplant posted:

Just gave the new Grand Magus a full listen and it is excellent. Much better than The Hunt and more on par with Hammer of the North.

Save Target As posted:

This is good to hear, The Hunt was definitely meh compared to Hammer of the North and Iron Will.
I've been hearing this a lot, and find it a bit weird. I personally love The Hunt to bits, even moreso than the previous ones. Granted the sounds are a little weak, but the songs themselves are loving killer. Weird thing, taste.
That said, I'm loving the new one as well. Sure it's simple and not very imaginative, but I just can't loving argue with those riffs and choruses and JB's vocals.

Iceberg-Slim posted:

Well, I wouldn't really compare Keldian to those bands or call them bombastic. I mean sure, their stuff is shamelessly poppy and catchy and melodic, but not nearly as intense or grandiose. Someone called them a mix between power metal and AOR, and that's not entirely inaccurate. Don't worry though, that description made me a bit leery at first too, but gently caress if I didn't get hooked instantly.
As for your question, I've read several mentions of Outbound being their best album yet, so I guess you could go with that. Personally I'll say you can't go wrong with any of them though, I'm loving all three albums equally and just keep listening to them back to back.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 14, 2014

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Nobody told me that Necrophobic released a new album last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeFDDtKLC5A

What the gently caress am I listening to...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Houseplant posted:

Listening to the stream on Terrorizer right now. Much like Asylum Cave, it's solid but brought down by the stupid pig squeals. Has that always been a part of their sound? These are the only two albums I've heard by them but I've been told that Identisick and Icon are really good.