Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fonducci
Feb 5, 2007
"The other white meat"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Whenever I hear music like this, I just see two giant tufts of pubey hair bumping against each other. Thanks for that.

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

I Might Be Adam posted:

Whenever I hear music like this, I just see two giant tufts of pubey hair bumping against each other. Thanks for that.

Me too, that's why I shave my palms.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

longer lasting sound putity.

SOUND PUTITY

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
To contribute:
http://proguitarshop.com/reverend-club-king-290-deep-sea-blue-bigsby.html

Serious question: Why is this new throw-back Bigsby showing up on so many guitars? I hate it's look and feel, so it always stands out to me.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Cobalt60 posted:

To contribute:

Serious question: Why is this new throw-back Bigsby showing up on so many guitars? I hate it's look and feel, so it always stands out to me.

Because they look kinda cool to some people, but they are completely useless and only serve to make tuning a nightmare.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Cobalt60 posted:

To contribute:

people still wanna make trem sounds but don't want to be associated with whammy bars

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Probably for the same reason jazz masters are really fuckin popular now and people/goons are throwing shitloads down on vintage ones. I don't know that reason btw

W424
Oct 21, 2010

HollisBrown posted:

Because they look kinda cool to some people, but they are completely useless and only serve to make tuning a nightmare.

So, much like a Floyd Rose and it's hellspawn?

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
drums are more fun than guitars because the only way to gently caress up the look of a kit is to have 30 toms, 3 snares, and 15 chinas. even horribly gaudy finishes own

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

Cobalt60 posted:

To contribute:

I had a DeArmond Starfire that had one, and I hated it so much I sold the guitar. I guess they're retro-hip but in reality they suck.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

whatis posted:

drums are more fun than guitars because the only way to gently caress up the look of a kit is to have 30 toms, 3 snares, and 15 chinas. even horribly gaudy finishes own

Brb gonna drop 7k on a bubinga 5 piece

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Spanish Manlove posted:

Probably for the same reason jazz masters are really fuckin popular now and people/goons are throwing shitloads down on vintage ones. I don't know that reason btw

jm is only thing sounds like jm

(that bridge is poo poo though)

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

Brb gonna drop 7k on a bubinga 5 piece

only the finest african mahogany for the kit in my ramones cover band

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

White Dog Eggs posted:

Best part was that the rotten wire made the guitar sound like poo poo (which is exactly what I told him would happen) and the fucker tried to get a refund, so I soldered in some new wire in-front of him and the sound was ten times better. I offered to mount the TONE WIRE in a picture frame for him but he didn't think that was funny. He probably re-sold it on ebay to another idiot.

Probably shouldn't have posted that, but gently caress that guy, he went around telling everyone I didn't know anything about building guitars because I pointed out that 'vintage PAF pickups' are a waste of money when you can buy something pretty much exactly the same for a lot, lot less than £200 a pickup (he was the guy who told me that new magnets aren't as good because radiation something something electron transfer).

I see your tone wire man and raise you number of thread winds on a trem bar man. I used to hang out at a mate's shop once in a while and he had a bluesdad customer with unbelievable requirements. We processed a Fender Custom Shop order for him a few years back. When it finally arrived he spent two hours checking everything over (Not a single note played by this point) and it all went to hell after he screwed in the trem bar. "Oh... this needs five winds before its locked in. All my others only take three winds". Prick wanted the shop to send the guitar back to the Custom Shop and have a new bar fitted so the thread would only need three winds before locking in because MAH TONEZ! Not a comfort thing, being used to having the bar sit a little higher/lower than his CS model. It was genuinely (In his world) for tone.

Ted Nugent has a signature cable?

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Oh poo poo.

My electric guitar, which I love, just got reissued. I play classical 99% of the time, but it's still fun to have this guy around:

Not mine, taken from this site, but the natural mahagony models all look the same:
http://www.gould68.freeserve.co.uk/lprusers/lprusers.html

But this is the re-boot:
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Recording.aspx

Q1: Is my guitar ugly? Answer is gently caress no it's the best Les Paul ever made, thanks.

Q2: Why is the reboot ugly?

Q3: Does this retroactively make my guitar ugly?

gently caress me

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

whatis posted:

there's always the greg voelker rack system

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Cobalt60 posted:

Oh poo poo.

My electric guitar, which I love, just got reissued. I play classical 99% of the time, but it's still fun to have this guy around:

Not mine, taken from this site, but the natural mahagony models all look the same:
http://www.gould68.freeserve.co.uk/lprusers/lprusers.html

But this is the re-boot:
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Recording.aspx

Q1: Is my guitar ugly? Answer is gently caress no it's the best Les Paul ever made, thanks.

Q2: Why is the reboot ugly?

Q3: Does this retroactively make my guitar ugly?

gently caress me

the bigsby makes the ri look ridiculous and i actually like how the recording model looks but it probably looks like ugly art deco furniture to lots of people

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Bigsbys don't automatically look ridiculous, they look fine on the right guitar. The problem is that there are very few guitars that look alright with Bigsbys on them.

Here's one:

If your guitar isn't a Gretsch 6120 or some other kind of hollowbody that resembles a Gretsch 6120, don't get a Bigsby or you'll just look stupid. But maybe I'm biased because I just traded my old guitar in for one of these:

The Bigsby on mine's a little different but basically yeah, that's it.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 4, 2014

AchtungBaby
Dec 5, 2007

https://reverb.com/item/40221-guitar-acrylic-with-stunning-fret

This tones... ARE MAKING ME THIRSTY.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

I see your tone wire man and raise you number of thread winds on a trem bar man. I used to hang out at a mate's shop once in a while and he had a bluesdad customer with unbelievable requirements. We processed a Fender Custom Shop order for him a few years back. When it finally arrived he spent two hours checking everything over (Not a single note played by this point) and it all went to hell after he screwed in the trem bar. "Oh... this needs five winds before its locked in. All my others only take three winds". Prick wanted the shop to send the guitar back to the Custom Shop and have a new bar fitted so the thread would only need three winds before locking in because MAH TONEZ! Not a comfort thing, being used to having the bar sit a little higher/lower than his CS model. It was genuinely (In his world) for tone.

Holy gently caress. I think you win

I'm probably pushing the definition of 'ugly guitars' now, but gently caress it. No warning, you'll know it when you see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPd9cxqKCVg

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

The best part is that photo is from eBay, so someone wanted money for that thing.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

i don't care what anyone says, windex guitar is p cool

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Did someone say guitar nerds?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76nU5Ghq5Wo

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
lmao "color effects tone"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpcLhYMH2rs&t=28s

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

White Dog Eggs posted:

Nobody wins after sitting through a lecture on how the number of threads for a trem bar can affect tone.

The same guy picks out a pack of strings from the shelf like you would a pint of milk in the supermarket. "No! The ones at the back are fresh! I know your sneaky games!"

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Nobody wins after sitting through a lecture on how the number of threads for a trem bar can affect tone.

The same guy picks out a pack of strings from the shelf like you would a pint of milk in the supermarket. "No! The ones at the back are fresh! I know your sneaky games!"

:psyduck: But the reason the fresher milk is at the back is because it's loaded into the fridge from the back and the strings are put on the peg from the fr-asjldfgl;dk

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

White Dog Eggs posted:

I'm probably pushing the definition of 'ugly guitars' now, but gently caress it. No warning, you'll know it when you see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPd9cxqKCVg

That canny valley

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I had one of those on my White Falcon for a while, I think they come stock. That's a pretty great guitar, but a good indicator if someone is a douchebag or plays in a band wannabe Gaslight Anthem, Rockabilly or Psychobilly band (all synonymous with being a douchebag).

On the subject of knock-off Japanese Guitars I also want to throw in a reccomendation for the Yamaha Pacifica, which is like one of the best guitars you can get for under 300. It's a fat strat copy that's far better than any Squire and most importantly has a super flat neck for shredding the metals.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 4, 2014

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

El Estrago Bonito posted:

On the subject of knock-off Japanese Guitars I also want to throw in a reccomendation for the Yamaha Pacifica, which is like one of the best guitars you can get for under 300. It's a fat strat copy that's far better than any Squire and most importantly has a super flat neck for shredding the metals.

I can vouch for this, one of my pals had one and they're really nice. My only complaint was that his had goofy gold hardware.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

King Vidiot posted:

If your guitar isn't a Gretsch 6120 or some other kind of hollowbody that resembles a Gretsch 6120, don't get a Bigsby or you'll just look stupid.

My Squier Tele came with a stock Bigsby. It looks alright.

I once had a dream where Jerry Garcia was sitting in the control room of a recording studio, noodling on an electric guitar he bought from Aphex Twin that had a water-filled chamber inside the body for the special liquid resonance.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

White Dog Eggs posted:

That reminds me of a guy I built a guitar for a few years back, he wanted vintage wire for the electrics so he spent £150 on "genuine 60's Gibson vintage wire TONE" from ebay. £150 for less than a meter of semi-rotten cabling :psyduck:.

I bought a set of 1961 Jazzmaster pickups + wiring + pots/caps from ebay and of course I can't verify that poo poo with my limited knowledge. Luckily it wasn't too much and my Jazzmaster project actually sounds awesome so I probably lucked out. HURF DURF LET'S SPEND TOO MUCH FOR poo poo THAT'S PROBABLY MICROPHONIC AT THIS POINT!

I am older and wiser now.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

fyodor posted:

I bought a set of 1961 Jazzmaster pickups + wiring + pots/caps from ebay and of course I can't verify that poo poo with my limited knowledge. Luckily it wasn't too much and my Jazzmaster project actually sounds awesome so I probably lucked out. HURF DURF LET'S SPEND TOO MUCH FOR poo poo THAT'S PROBABLY MICROPHONIC AT THIS POINT!

I am older and wiser now.

In fairness those Jazzmaster pickups are made differently now than they were then and actually don't sound as good, I think you've only been able to get decent reproductions in the last few years.

Also, I am going to start work on THE MOST AWESOME GUITAR EVER tomorrow, I've carefully chosen various offcuts and bits of wood from my old sofa some high quality tone-woods and I'll glue them all up tomorrow. God help me.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat
Just found this on ebay;

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

White Dog Eggs posted:

Just found this on ebay;

you were searching ebay for 'guitar fuzz' :roflolmao:

edit: reposting for our 100th page

White Dog Eggs posted:

This is the last time I'm going to post this, I swear.

mclast fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 5, 2014

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

White Dog Eggs posted:

Also, I am going to start work on THE MOST AWESOME GUITAR EVER tomorrow, I've carefully chosen various offcuts and bits of wood from my old sofa some high quality tone-woods and I'll glue them all up tomorrow. God help me.

can't wait \m/

hey again thread

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

which goldfish give the best tone

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
you wanna go with koi, in your tank there. it's an exotic tone fish

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
You can put bettas in there, but they're only good for playing metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
i own a schecter guitar with a bigsby come at me

(it's their gretsch clone, and it owns)

• Locked thread