Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

For me at least the KSOs got really really hot, to the point where sometimes I would wet them in sprinklers as I went past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

bunnielab posted:

This is my living room/kitchen floor. It is a huge huge pain to vacume, right now we use a shop vac but it is super slow and annoying. There is a wood stove in there so there is occasional small woodchips and the like I would like a vacume to handle. Most of the mess is dog hair and random kitchen crumbs and the like.

Money is more or less no object but I distrust anything without someone to vouch for using it on a floor this rough.
ProTeam Super QuarterVac

I have owned and used this vacuum for 7(?) years now and it has shown no sign of slowing down. Haven't used it on your exact floor type but it has some hefty suck power behind it. As a bonus you can pretend to be a Ghostbuster while using it.

edit:
With having big dogs that shed a lot I will also re-use the disposable bags a few times since the majority of what fills them up for me is dog hair.

tangy yet delightful has a new favorite as of 05:27 on Feb 3, 2014

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Just get a shop vac. It'll handle that floor and dog hair, no problem.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Arrath posted:

Just get a shop vac. It'll handle that floor and dog hair, no problem.
Do you mean a shop vac like the one he is currently dissatisfied with and looking to replace? :q:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Totally TWISTED posted:

ProTeam Super QuarterVac

I have owned and used this vacuum for 7(?) years now and it has shown no sign of slowing down. Haven't used it on your exact floor type but it has some hefty suck power behind it. As a bonus you can pretend to be a Ghostbuster while using it.

edit:
With having big dogs that shed a lot I will also re-use the disposable bags a few times since the majority of what fills them up for me is dog hair.

If I am going to drop $500 on a vacuum then it better have some chrome and flashing lights or some poo poo. That brand does seem to have a great rep, so I will look into it. However, it, like the shop vac, seems to be a huge pain to store unless you have a closet big enough to hold it.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
If you're looking for a Vacuum and cost is not a huge issue it's Miele or nothing.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

mmm11105 posted:

If you're looking for a Vacuum and cost is not a huge issue it's Miele or nothing.

Never used a Miele, but we bought a Dyson a while back and it's by far the best we've ever owned.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
My main issue is how uneven the brick is. There is no way the suck head (the technical term for it I believe) can get a good seal so most of the ones we have tried only really pick up like 2-3" per pass and that takes for loving ever. Most vacs for non-carpeted floors seem to emphasize how non-scratch and gentle they are. I just want maximum sucking and non-tipping ability. I also don't really need or want some insane HEPA filter thing and they tend to clog way too often.

The more I rant about this the more I think a high end shop vac is the answer unless someone else here has an uneven rear end brick floor, a huge dog, and a woodstove.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bunnielab posted:

My main issue is how uneven the brick is. There is no way the suck head (the technical term for it I believe) can get a good seal so most of the ones we have tried only really pick up like 2-3" per pass and that takes for loving ever. Most vacs for non-carpeted floors seem to emphasize how non-scratch and gentle they are. I just want maximum sucking and non-tipping ability. I also don't really need or want some insane HEPA filter thing and they tend to clog way too often.

The more I rant about this the more I think a high end shop vac is the answer unless someone else here has an uneven rear end brick floor, a huge dog, and a woodstove.

We have an uneven wooden floor with lots of gaps in it, a wood fireplace, and several cats, and got a Dyson years ago (one of the first ones) and it's still going strong (okay, one of the hoses cracked at one point but that was cheap to replace) and has no problems sucking poo poo up from cracks since it's really powerful. It's got a HEPA filter or something like that but it's never, ever outright clogged for us despite forgetting to clean it out fairly often, and it doesn't seem to cut its power much at all.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

bunnielab posted:

If I am going to drop $500 on a vacuum then it better have some chrome and flashing lights or some poo poo. That brand does seem to have a great rep, so I will look into it. However, it, like the shop vac, seems to be a huge pain to store unless you have a closet big enough to hold it.

It was recommended to me by my cleaning company friend (which you can kinda glean from the reviews), my guess is you could possibly find a consumer level vac with the same suck power and it just won't last for a literal forever amount of time. Which I can of course totally understand doing.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Man I feel so loving old chatting about loving vacuums on the internet. But I can now top this feeling by going to the loving old lady sewing and vacuum store near my house and check out one of those Miele ones.

brb, off to knit a slip cover for my toaster.

But really, thanks everyone. My gf has been out of town for like 4 months and is returning soon, thus my obsessive interest in cleaning without working too hard

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Krakkles posted:

Do you mean a shop vac like the one he is currently dissatisfied with and looking to replace? :q:

:eng99: Well how did I miss that.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
I'm looking for a good quality face cream/moisturizer. Sometimes I get allergies/histamine reaction that makes me scratch/rub my face a lot and it ends up making my skin red and raw especially around my nose. Usually after a couple days the skin even peels, like a sunburn. I'm looking for a very good quality face cream to reduce this visible redness and dryness. In my experience vitamin E/aloe chap stick seems to help a bit, or an aloe gel. However it's not ideal so I'd love to hear recommendations. Dove's Men Care facial cream works well also but I'm looking to see if people suggest something better.

To contribute, I'll reccomend a product I first heard of here on SA. If anyone is looking for eye drops for redness relief or mositurizion, check out the japanese brand Rohto. They will burn anywhere from slightly to a poo poo load when you first put them in. However, within seconds your eyes will be so pearly white that that nobody will suspect you as the stoner that you truly are. http://myrohto.com/. I would greatly appreciate it if someone informs me where I can find them in Canada (Ontario) so that I don't have to get them shipped to me every time. Also if anyone has used different kinds, any idea which is best for irritation/dryness? I've only used Rhoto Ice which was excellent for redness relief but my current concern is dry eyes.

Also while we're on the topic, anyone know where I might find eye drops that would dialate my pupils? i.e. to counteract the telltale junkie pinned pupils

denzelcurrypower has a new favorite as of 00:00 on Feb 5, 2014

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

MoosetheMooche posted:

To contribute, I'll reccomend a product I first heard of here on SA. If anyone is looking for eye drops for redness relief or mositurizion, check out the japanese brand Rohto. They will burn anywhere from slightly to a poo poo load when you first put them in. However, within seconds your eyes will be so pearly white that that nobody will suspect you as the stoner that you truly are. http://myrohto.com/

I love Rhoto, its like Altoids for your eyes.

:420:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Rhoto is actually one of my clients! Pretty sweet to see them get a mention here.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

bunnielab posted:

Man I feel so loving old chatting about loving vacuums on the internet. But I can now top this feeling by going to the loving old lady sewing and vacuum store near my house and check out one of those Miele ones.

brb, off to knit a slip cover for my toaster.

Excuse me, I think you mean a toaster COZY. Get your terminology right or they'll laugh you right out of the knitting circle.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

MoosetheMooche posted:

I'm looking for a good quality face cream/moisturizer. Sometimes I get allergies/histamine reaction that makes me scratch/rub my face a lot and it ends up making my skin red and raw especially around my nose. Usually after a couple days the skin even peels, like a sunburn. I'm looking for a very good quality face cream to reduce this visible redness and dryness. In my experience vitamin E/aloe chap stick seems to help a bit, or an aloe gel. However it's not ideal so I'd love to hear recommendations. Dove's Men Care facial cream works well also but I'm looking to see if people suggest something better.

To contribute, I'll reccomend a product I first heard of here on SA. If anyone is looking for eye drops for redness relief or mositurizion, check out the japanese brand Rohto. They will burn anywhere from slightly to a poo poo load when you first put them in. However, within seconds your eyes will be so pearly white that that nobody will suspect you as the stoner that you truly are. http://myrohto.com/. I would greatly appreciate it if someone informs me where I can find them in Canada (Ontario) so that I don't have to get them shipped to me every time. Also if anyone has used different kinds, any idea which is best for irritation/dryness? I've only used Rhoto Ice which was excellent for redness relief but my current concern is dry eyes.

Also while we're on the topic, anyone know where I might find eye drops that would dialate my pupils? i.e. to counteract the telltale junkie pinned pupils

I use
http://www.olehenriksen.com/p-53-nurture-me-creme.aspx to moisturize, and it's pretty great. It took about 2 weeks, but the redness in my face is well diminished. If you have a Sephora nearby, you may want to check with them as to what product is best--I've never been steered wrong there. As well, many JC Penney's stores have installed Sephora shop-within-a-shops, if you don't have a traditional one near.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house

MoosetheMooche posted:

Ask here. They know their stuff!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I'm looking for a men's breast pocket wallet that can hold both ID and passport. Preferrably with a focus on cash/cards/notes, no need for a change pocket or checkbook flap. Vy & Elle used to make a fantastic one that I was going to buy one day, and that day would be today, but they stopped producing products 2 years ago it seems. Anything upcycled would be fantastic, and I'm looking to spend up to $60.

Pilot Jim
Aug 23, 2007
This might seem an odd request for this thread, but I'm looking for a decent brand of boot/shoe to wear in the winter. I moved to Denver, Colorado 8 years ago, and so far have been managing with an old pair of mostly weather-proof Sketchers I used to wear to work. They are quite old and worn, and honestly not so fashionable any more. The recent weather here in Denver has convinced me that I need a new pair of winter shoes. I'm not looking to go climbing a 14er in February, just something for walking back and forth to the bars/grocery stores/downtown etc.

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Another youthful indiscretion
Get some LL Bean Katahdins and treat them with a little mink oil or Obenauf's. They're pretty much waterproof already, but they'll be golden with the oil. Plus they're amazingly comfy once they're broken in, look great, and are warm as poo poo. Just make sure to size down a little bit, as with all boots.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Pilot Jim posted:

This might seem an odd request for this thread, but I'm looking for a decent brand of boot/shoe to wear in the winter. I moved to Denver, Colorado 8 years ago, and so far have been managing with an old pair of mostly weather-proof Sketchers I used to wear to work. They are quite old and worn, and honestly not so fashionable any more. The recent weather here in Denver has convinced me that I need a new pair of winter shoes. I'm not looking to go climbing a 14er in February, just something for walking back and forth to the bars/grocery stores/downtown etc.

Alternatively, I use these, and they're fantastic for the weather. They aren't fashionable, but they're of the utility that I feel they're not "unfashionable." In normal weather, you look like a fool, but in the snow/rain, you just look prepared.

Pilot Jim
Aug 23, 2007

benwards posted:

Get some LL Bean Katahdins and treat them with a little mink oil or Obenauf's. They're pretty much waterproof already, but they'll be golden with the oil. Plus they're amazingly comfy once they're broken in, look great, and are warm as poo poo. Just make sure to size down a little bit, as with all boots.

Those are really nice looking, thanks for the recommendation.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

benwards posted:

Clicked expecting the worst, but these actually look pretty good. Thanks!

Lenny Nero
Apr 14, 2007

I'm the magic man...The Santa Claus of the subconscious

Kaizoku posted:

I'm looking for a men's breast pocket wallet that can hold both ID and passport. Preferrably with a focus on cash/cards/notes, no need for a change pocket or checkbook flap. Vy & Elle used to make a fantastic one that I was going to buy one day, and that day would be today, but they stopped producing products 2 years ago it seems. Anything upcycled would be fantastic, and I'm looking to spend up to $60.

Although this wallet is double what you're looking to spend, you should check out it or the other products that they make:
http://bellroy.com/wallets/travel-wallet

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Lenny Nero posted:

Although this wallet is double what you're looking to spend, you should check out it or the other products that they make:
http://bellroy.com/wallets/travel-wallet

Yeah, I carry a fair number of bills often, so the least negotiable aspect of all of those features is "breast pocket wallet." If I wanted a wallet that folded the bills, that would look nice. I ended up finding a few cheap chinese wallets on eBay that I'm going to try out. The Vy and Elle that I wanted is this

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm getting married in December, and as such, I'm trying to get into a bit more shape. My Nike's are starting to get a bit uncomfortable (and my cat got to them), so does anyone have any recommendation for good workout shoes? This will mainly be treadmill, jogging, weightlifting, and other basic stuff, but I definitely want something comfortable. I don't really have a budget and if higher price means higher quality then that's good for me.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
Anyone recommend a good, affordable laptop for college?

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

Droid Washington posted:

I'm getting married in December, and as such, I'm trying to get into a bit more shape. My Nike's are starting to get a bit uncomfortable (and my cat got to them), so does anyone have any recommendation for good workout shoes? This will mainly be treadmill, jogging, weightlifting, and other basic stuff, but I definitely want something comfortable. I don't really have a budget and if higher price means higher quality then that's good for me.

Gender?

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Droid Washington posted:

Chuck Taylors for weightlifting, and Nike Free Runs for jogging

These suggestions apply for either gender, but if you're a woman with money to spare buy Flyknits instead of Free Runs. Roshes are great too, for both genders and for both weightlifting and short-distance running

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Droid Washington posted:

I'd roll with a good pair of Asics, myself. I have a pair of Gel Kayanos that I purchased 4 years ago, I have run 10km a week in since, that are still going strong. I use them mainly for workouts now, but yeah the durability on these things is crazy awesome.

http://www.asics.com.au/footwear/running-shoes

^ I recently bought a pair of the new Gel Nimbus' 15s listed on that page for running/sprinting. Of all the models, they have the most cushioning (while the Kayanos have more support around the ankle/heel if that's your thing). You can obviously get specific shoes for lifting weights, but I find these do the trick anyways.

Brooks also make good sneakers too, as do Saucony (though I personally find them a bit firm feeling). I always gravitate towards Asics tho cuz they just fit me I guess!

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Okay here's an odd request. An electric shaver that does not give you a close shave. Either standard or because you can adjust it.
Certain spots on my neck get pretty bad ingrown hairs after shaving, which is caused when the cut hair curls under the skin. So I need to figure out how to shave somewhere between buzzers/clippers without a guard, and a standard electric shaver or razor.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sorry for the confusion. I am a male, and thanks for the shoe suggestions so far! I'm looking into the ones mentioned.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Baldbeard posted:

Okay here's an odd request. An electric shaver that does not give you a close shave. Either standard or because you can adjust it.
Certain spots on my neck get pretty bad ingrown hairs after shaving, which is caused when the cut hair curls under the skin. So I need to figure out how to shave somewhere between buzzers/clippers without a guard, and a standard electric shaver or razor.

I am absolutely in love with this shaver I bought. It allows you to customize the length of your stubble in terms of millimeters (many shavers actually do this), but the main reason I like this one over others is because it's battery isn't terrible and it vacuums your stubble as it works. No mess at the end!

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Droid Washington posted:

I am absolutely in love with this shaver I bought. It allows you to customize the length of your stubble in terms of millimeters (many shavers actually do this), but the main reason I like this one over others is because it's battery isn't terrible and it vacuums your stubble as it works. No mess at the end!

Awesome, it's pretty affordable too. Thanks.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Baldbeard posted:

Are you using a cartridge razor by any chance? Because they tend to have that effect. You can get a pretty close shave with a double edged safety razor, minus the ingrowns, and DE blades are way way cheaper than cartridges (like 100 blades for $20 cheap).

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Cornuto posted:

Anyone recommend a good, affordable laptop for college?

Wait. AMD just rolled out their new line of APU Chips less than a month ago. Most cost-to-power efficient laptops these days are running on APU's (either AMD or Intel HD Graphics) and in general if you don't want to pay for a dedicated video card the AMD ones are much better. The new ones are out benching i5's on graphics related stuff (games and video conversion) so they are going to be a pretty big jump from the previous generation power wise. If you don't care about games then just go for something cheap with 6 gigs of RAM and any Intel i3/5/7 processor.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I'm looking for recommendations on a few things. Looking for a good vacuum, especially for cat hair, hoping to pay ~100 at most but that can go up etc. I'm in a like 600sqft apartment, so it doesn't need stairs or whatever things. Also a slow cooker and rice cooker. The GWS product thread didn't have any suggestions for me on those I guess. Hoping you guys do!

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Ramadu posted:

I'm looking for recommendations on a few things. Looking for a good vacuum, especially for cat hair, hoping to pay ~100 at most but that can go up etc. I'm in a like 600sqft apartment, so it doesn't need stairs or whatever things. Also a slow cooker and rice cooker. The GWS product thread didn't have any suggestions for me on those I guess. Hoping you guys do!

Only rice cooker you will ever need: http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00007J5U7/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=EI5SSLNIL8LQ&coliid=I2TAGXPHAMINHS

And vacuum: http://smile.amazon.com/Hoover-Wind...=vacuum+cleaner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Thanks for the fast responses on those. Does the "Pet" version of that vacuum add anything for that extra 30 dollars or is that just branding? Also, uh, got anything cheaper for a rice cooker? I wasn't expecting to see a rice cooker for 170 dollars :stare:

• Locked thread