Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Genpei Turtle posted:

A lot of classic PC RPGs did it pretty well. Some of the later Wizardries had level scaling that worked pretty well for example, though there were usually limits on how it worked. (ie different areas topped off on what they could throw you) I remember playing one game--I forget which one, I think maybe Knights of Legend?--where you leveled by cashing in your EXP for weapon and armor skills or something and they would scale enemies so that they'd have combat skills roughly on par with yours too.

Might & Magic 2 had an interesting and subtle kind of level scaling. Each area would tend to contain certain kinds of monsters independent of your level, but the number of them you encountered per battle would depend on your level: if you were at or below the area's expected minimum level then an average random encounter would usually contain a number of monsters equal to your party size, while if you were significantly above it you might see two or three times that number of enemies per fight. There was also a "party disposition" option in the settings which essentially let you force the game to scale to the minimum or maximum possible level at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
So theres like no first person or third person RPG's that are co-op through the story are there? I was playing Kingdoms of Amular and thinking it would be fun if it had Co-op. Same with Oblivion and Skyrim and such. Two Worlds II has co-op but it's only in set missions :(

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Danith posted:

So theres like no first person or third person RPG's that are co-op through the story are there? I was playing Kingdoms of Amular and thinking it would be fun if it had Co-op. Same with Oblivion and Skyrim and such. Two Worlds II has co-op but it's only in set missions :(

Secret of Mana, the newly released Divinity: Original Sin, Baldur's Gate 1&2 and I believe both Icewind Dale games as well. There's also a ton of Action RPG's that have co-op.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I think he means more like OTS RPGs. Less Diablo, more Fable.

On that note, I'm fairly certain Fable 3 has co-op multiplayer, though the game itself coasts on John Cleese and dressing up in a pink dog costume and pretending to be a fursuiter.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The White Dragon posted:

I think he means more like OTS RPGs. Less Diablo, more Fable.

On that note, I'm fairly certain Fable 3 has co-op multiplayer, though the game itself coasts on John Cleese and dressing up in a pink dog costume and pretending to be a fursuiter.

System Shock has a multiplayer mode. You probably need to game it a bit to make sure either of you have enough skill points in the right areas though.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
The battles were kind of fun, and I had with the Tetris-style skill set thing, but come on guys. Arc Rise Fantasia was goddamn insufferable.

Dec 26, 2012

Levantine posted:

Radiant Dawn also has Snipers that are well worth using and Crossbows!! I miss crossbows.

EDIT: and I also love the third tier promotions.

They really, really didn't consider how crossbows would interact with the effective damage formula, especially after bumping the multiplier up from 2 to 3. Not that it was much of a problem because it rarely came up, but it made slapping beastfoe on a crossbow-wielding Nolan for that one Part 3 map absolutely hilarious.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

01011001 posted:

They really, really didn't consider how crossbows would interact with the effective damage formula, especially after bumping the multiplier up from 2 to 3. Not that it was much of a problem because it rarely came up, but it made slapping beastfoe on a crossbow-wielding Nolan for that one Part 3 map absolutely hilarious.

Nolan is always in my top 5 in any RD playthrough. It helps he's one of the best the Dawn Brigade has to offer. I think the next fire emblem needs to rethink snipers - Awakening they were pretty awful and in RD they were pretty overpowered. I'm certain there's a middle ground somewhere.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Radiant Dawn snipers were far from overpowered. If anything, they were still pretty bad. Crossbows might wreck fliers but the way they worked meant they did squat to most enemies.

The only real benefit to snipers in RD is that by the time you get one worth a poo poo (sorry leo) you're killing units so fast that everyone being able to get a kill in is nice, since a lot of FE10 chapters are kind of chokepointy.

Likewise, part of the problem with snipers in Awakening is the 'wide open field' design of half the maps.

EDIT: Besides, Nolan is a Warrior, so that's kind of a non-sequitur.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Endorph posted:

Radiant Dawn snipers were far from overpowered. If anything, they were still pretty bad. Crossbows might wreck fliers but the way they worked meant they did squat to most enemies.

The only real benefit to snipers in RD is that by the time you get one worth a poo poo (sorry leo) you're killing units so fast that everyone being able to get a kill in is nice, since a lot of FE10 chapters are kind of chokepointy.

Likewise, part of the problem with snipers in Awakening is the 'wide open field' design of half the maps.

Yeah, sorry that was two different thoughts. Snipers were better in RD though overall because, like you said, you could you use them strategically. They rarely miss, they crit like, all the time and they also had a hit radius of 3 which made them more versatile. The sniper final promotion attack sleeps anything that it doesn't kill. Them being lethal to fliers was just a bonus at that point.

Leo is very difficult to make a decent sniper, even on the easiest difficulty because of where he starts versus how difficult the maps are. He requires more babying than Rolf does later. Shinon is hot poo poo when you get him though. He's almost tough enough to be a front line fighter too.

Compared to Ike or Nolan or Haar, sure they aren't god tier but I think it would be silly for at least one sniper not to have a starting place on any given map in the game.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I think that FO3 and FO:NV did the level scaling pretty well. Like a lot of people in the thread says level scaling need a min-max number so thing doesn't get out of hand in both scenario. I.E. I killed the arena champion before level 5 in oblivion.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Bleusilences posted:

I think that FO3 and FO:NV did the level scaling pretty well. Like a lot of people in the thread says level scaling need a min-max number so thing doesn't get out of hand in both scenario. I.E. I killed the arena champion before level 5 in oblivion.

Enemy HP levels get out of hand at higher levels in those games though.

See: Broken Steel, Point Lookout, Old World Blues.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Enemy HP levels get out of hand at higher levels in those games though.

See: Broken Steel, Point Lookout, Old World Blues.

Albino Radscorpions :argh:

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Levantine posted:

Albino Radscorpions :argh:

Funny thing. Albino Radscorpions, Ghoul Reavers, and Super Mutant Overlords aren't bullet sponges because of level scaling, they're sponges because Bethesda is a dick.

I mean, Ghoul Roamers have 80 HP but Reavers have 1100? Giant Scorps have like 300 and Albinos have 1500. JEESUS.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I thought FO3 and NV had tethered level-scaling and each area only had a certain level range?

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Can anyone suggest some big colorful epic console rpgs that are less known and from the 8-bit/16-bit era? Maybe some translated Japan-only releases that can be found as roms? I'd like to check out some different old-school titles similar to FF, DQ and Phantasy Star that are out there for the NES/SNES or Sega Master System/Genesis.

Any websites that may discuss these games as well, something like Hardcore Gaming 101?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Jive One posted:

Can anyone suggest some big colorful epic console rpgs that are less known and from the 8-bit/16-bit era? Maybe some translated Japan-only releases that can be found as roms? I'd like to check out some different old-school titles similar to FF, DQ and Phantasy Star that are out there for the NES/SNES or Sega Master System/Genesis.

Any websites that may discuss these games as well, something like Hardcore Gaming 101?

Well, there's the Shin Megami Tensei series, though that's heavy on dungeon crawling so may not be everyone's cup of tea. There's also the Romancing SaGa series, which was big in Japan but never came over here.

Also I don't know if it's ever been translated since practically nobody's ever heard of it, but there's a series of fishing RPGs for the SNES called "Fishing the River Lord" 川のぬし釣り which has bizarre fights against squirrels and stuff but is still fun.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jive One posted:

Eternal Filena is a neat little JRPG for the SNES. Nothing special, but the battle system has a few interesting ideas, and the plot manages to be pretty unique - mostly due to the characters rather than the plot itself. Don't know if I'd call it 'epic, though.'

Pier Solar is a homebrew Mega Drive game that was made relatively recently. I haven't played it, but the only negative review I could find is from RPGfan, and come on, that's RPGfan.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 4, 2014

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Bahamut Lagoon is a pretty good fan trans only SNES rom.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah I had a fun time with Bahamut Lagoon. As far as I remember its a pretty deep SRPG with a lot of focus on raising AI controlled dragons that help you in combat. Feeding them stuff and encouraging them to evolve in a certain direction was really satisfying.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Skwirl posted:

Secret of Mana, the newly released Divinity: Original Sin, Baldur's Gate 1&2 and I believe both Icewind Dale games as well. There's also a ton of Action RPG's that have co-op.

Divinity: Original Sin is still in Alpha, though. It's going to be great, but right now, it's not finished, lots of bugs and balancing needs to be done, that sort of thing. Only get it now if you want to help bug-test and give feedback.

It does have two main characters, and you can play co-op through the entire game.

Endorph posted:

Eternal Filena is a neat little JRPG for the SNES. Nothing special, but the battle system has a few interesting ideas, and the plot manages to be pretty unique - mostly due to the characters rather than the plot itself. Don't know if I'd call it 'epic, though.'

Isn't that one only in Japanese though? There was an LP of it and the author mentioned having to write the translation patch himself.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Good deal, checking all of these out now. Thanks for all of the suggestions so far.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Jive One posted:

http://transcorp.romhacking.net/projects/

I've only played Emerald Dragon, and it's kind of funny. has a lot of personality. Story's in the vein of what you're looking for.

Energy Breaker is a SNES SRPG that was translated fairly recently. I didn't get very far into it but it is very...anime.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Brasseye posted:

Yeah I had a fun time with Bahamut Lagoon. As far as I remember its a pretty deep SRPG with a lot of focus on raising AI controlled dragons that help you in combat. Feeding them stuff and encouraging them to evolve in a certain direction was really satisfying.
I don't know if I would call it deep or engaging. If you max out Salamando's stats, he becomes literally invincible. It's not even hard to do.

Also it's a very depressing game.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Endorph posted:

Pier Solar is a homebrew Mega Drive game that was made relatively recently. I haven't played it, but the only negative review I could find is from RPGfan, and come on, that's RPGfan.

RPGFan gives everything overwhelmingly positive reviews though, so that says something. And Pier Solar was shat upon heavily here when it came out for terrible map design.

Eternal Filena is a good suggestion though!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Not to mention the fiasco of taking preorders for an 2008 release and barely squeaking it out in 2010.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Eternal Filena has a cool story because it was based on a bunch of novels (video game writers can't write) but the actual game is...kind of incredibly boring. There are some cool parts, though.

The White Dragon posted:

I don't know if I would call it deep or engaging. If you max out Salamando's stats, he becomes literally invincible. It's not even hard to do.

Also it's a very depressing game.

Yeah I dunno if I could even call Bahamut Lagoon a SRPG. it has less strategy than fire emblem's weapon triangle foregone conclusion gameplay. It is really pretty, though.

The Gentlemieu
Jan 1, 2013
Soiled Meat

Cake Attack posted:

He's thinking of Arc Rise Fantasia.

It's got a pretty fun battle system actually, but the voice acting is terrible and the plot underneath it isn't much better. The designs are by the Eureka Seven character designer though, which is fun. One character is basically Anenome.

Yeah. Arc Rise Fantasia. Made by the same developer. Have the same dumb mascots. My bad

Dec 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

The thing is that with certain skills - beastfoe, dragonfoe - they did effective, 3x that huge base damage against non-flyers. This is where the magic happens.

Also I never got why in RD warriors could equip crossbows but didn't get bow proficiency.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Divinity: Original Sin is still in Alpha, though. It's going to be great, but right now, it's not finished, lots of bugs and balancing needs to be done, that sort of thing. Only get it now if you want to help bug-test and give feedback.

It does have two main characters, and you can play co-op through the entire game.

I somehow knew that, and forgot, probably because it keeps showing up on Steams front page. I think they should shunt off "Early Access" to other parts of the site. Though that would likely defeat the purpose.

Jive One posted:

It's probably better known than I think, but I don't see Terranigma mentioned that often around here.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Skwirl posted:

It's probably better known than I think, but I don't see Terranigma mentioned that often around here.
Only if you're European or an emulation enthusiast.

Maybe pick up the old school Shining Force games. Landstalker and its sequel, Ladystalker, are your go-to Genesis titles. The Quintet Earth trilogy--Soulblazer, Illusion of Gaia, and the aforementioned Terranigma--are great classics. IoG is kind of hosed up though. Quintet also made the batshit insane Robotrek if you're into poorly-balanced and unfair Pokemon games where your Pokemon are robots. You could try Tales of Phantasia, but that game has a terrible encounter rate and one of the shittiest and most heavy-handed "you, the player, are a monstrous rear end in a top hat" moments ever. Fun combat, though. Star Ocean 1 is also okay, but nothing to write home about if you played SO2 or SO3 since its story is basically the prototype for the first halves of those games.

And E.V.O: Search for Eden :v:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 4, 2014

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Ladystalker is a SNES game, and has been in fan-translation limbo for years. And Robotrek is unbalanced, yes, but it's unbalanced in your favour! C'mon!

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Tales of Phantasia had a pretty good environmentalism metaphor going on for the first three quarters of the game, but by the time you reach the endgame in the future things just stop making sense. I still don't even understand the ending.

Also I agree, Robotrek is utterly insane.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Wendell posted:

Ladystalker is a SNES game, and has been in fan-translation limbo for years. And Robotrek is unbalanced, yes, but it's unbalanced in your favour! C'mon!
Maybe I just built my endgame party poorly. I remember the final battle being, while easy, an incredibly boring battle of attrition where my attackers would die in one hit and I would spend three turns reviving them and healing my mega tank 'bot before switching them back in to attack once and die.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Always been a real big fan of Treasure of Rudras

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoSSG3Koqeo

- Made by Squaresoft in their golden era, so it has all that good FF6 style spritework and effects. One of their final games for the system, if I am not mistaken
- Great music, done by Ryuji Sasai. Not familiar with the name? You are probably familiar with his music, he did Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
- Make your own spells with letters (abusable), definitely the game's main "gimmick"
- Split party revolving around 7 days to the end of the world or some poo poo, I forget, haha. You basically pick which of the three parties on a day by day basis (that is, it's basically 21+ 'chapters'), and play through their storylines that intermingle as you play through.

I thought it was pretty epic and it was a lot of fun. The magic system takes a bit to wrap your head around I think.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 4, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It doesn't help that the magic system doesn't scale worth a drat so you're just gonna mash physical attacks even if you look up how to break it.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah attack spells are duds, stay away from those! But yeah the gameplay is a little on the weak side I suppose

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Mill Village posted:

I thought FO3 and NV had tethered level-scaling and each area only had a certain level range?

It does and that pretty good system in my opinion. On the bullet sponge I think they gave those enemies to much hp, but the point was for players to disable the enemies and not just aiming for the head. I really hope that next time they include some kind of passive cover system or something to make the gameplay a little bit more fun and tactical.

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 4, 2014

Wendell
May 11, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

Maybe I just built my endgame party poorly. I remember the final battle being, while easy, an incredibly boring battle of attrition where my attackers would die in one hit and I would spend three turns reviving them and healing my mega tank 'bot before switching them back in to attack once and die.

Well that does sound really tedious and cruddy. But even with that it's at least a very colourful and imaginative game, though the translation is not very good at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wendell posted:

RPGFan gives everything overwhelmingly positive reviews though, so that says something. And Pier Solar was shat upon heavily here when it came out for terrible map design.
To be honest I might just be mad at RPGFan because they reviewed a visual novel and criticized for not having enough gameplay to the point of giving it a ridiculously low score, which is a bit like reviewing an RPG and criticizing it for having too much gameplay.

EDIT: Also calling fire emblem 'weapon triangle foregone conclusion' is weird since the weapon triangle basically stops mattering by the 1/3rd point of every game.