Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Slo-Tek posted:

Thing is, that a trip to the boneyard is not anything like one-way. Something past 40% of the aircraft that arrive at the AMARG leave again under their own power. Some as QF target drones, a lot to foreign militaries, and a goodly number, like the C-27's, back into service in the US.

But yeah, looks pretty dumb to have them built new in Italy and flown directly to the boneyard.

Thankfully, as noted, many if not all of these will see second lives with the USCG. The entire story of the Spartan program (heyoo) is a litany of interservice cock-measuring contests.

e:
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-Koryo/Tupolev-Tu-154B-2/2388766/L/

Is this a common practice or just something Koryo is forced to do because North Korea?

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Thankfully, as noted, many if not all of these will see second lives with the USCG. The entire story of the Spartan program (heyoo) is a litany of interservice cock-measuring contests.

e:
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-Koryo/Tupolev-Tu-154B-2/2388766/L/

Is this a common practice or just something Koryo is forced to do because North Korea?

There's a photo on A.net of a similar JS flight crew using their coats to put out a brake fire at PEK. It's hilarious. This is just how JS works. I did a lot of effort posts on my flights with Air Koryo somewhere in the thread.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Powercube posted:

There's a photo on A.net of a similar JS flight crew using their coats to put out a brake fire at PEK. It's hilarious. This is just how JS works. I did a lot of effort posts on my flights with Air Koryo somewhere in the thread.

What are the brakes made out of?

Here are your posts.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3276654&userid=106012#post408966245

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

My local airport doesn't do social media too well:
http://www.timesreporter.com/article/20140202/NEWS/140209907

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

I hope Southwest stays with us, but yeah, that's terrible.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Hey, it's worked for SUX :v:

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!
It's "ID that line of planes I found at random on Google Maps" time again! This one is at Burlington International Airport in VT

So far I see, NW to SE:

Any corrections to my guesses? This is where I grew up, and I remember looking across the runway at the Vermont Air National Guard hangars on the far side every time we flew out of there.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Hey Ferretking were you the guy that kicked me out of the pattern today? Things were going great with one controller and I guess there was a shift change and we got the boot right there after. THANKS

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'd call that an F-16 just NW of the Phantom, personally. The v-stabs and the exhaust point that way to me, at least.

E: Yup, the nose, cockpit, and wing shape gives that too.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

ctishman posted:

It's "ID that line of planes I found at random on Google Maps" time again! This one is at Burlington International Airport in VT

So far I see, NW to SE:

Any corrections to my guesses? This is where I grew up, and I remember looking across the runway at the Vermont Air National Guard hangars on the far side every time we flew out of there.

That's an F-94A

Edit Your first shooting star, that is.

Pepperoneedy fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 5, 2014

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

ctishman posted:

So far I see, NW to SE:

I don't see any F-5's. Bunch of F-16's, and an F-18. Your bigger T-33 is a Northrop Scorpion, F-89.

Oh weird, if you rotate the view away from north, a bunch of aggressor-paint F-18's show up. two tails is F-18....(or Iranian Sageh)

Also, a Beech 18 north of the warbirds.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 5, 2014

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

ctishman posted:

So far I see, NW to SE:

F-16
T-33
T-33
F-89 (compare the empennage to the F-94)
Canberra
F-16
F-4

Mr. Samuel Shitley
Jun 15, 2007

by XyloJW

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Hey, it's worked for SUX :v:

Pff, FUK that SHT.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Crossposting this from the Boston thread in LAN

Deadite posted:

FYI on the 16th 50 milk street is having a new cooling tower delivered by helicopter if anyone wants to see that. My office is in the "sterile area" so I got an email about how I won't be able to work on a Sunday. Boo hoo

I wish my camera worked :(

KingPave
Jul 18, 2007
eeee!~

joat mon posted:

F-16
T-33
T-33
F-89 (compare the empennage to the F-94)
Canberra
F-16
F-4

Are we sure they're both F-16s? They don't appear to have identical stabilizers, or is it a generational/block thing?

Plus it looks like the white one is slightly larger?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Yeah, they're both -16s. BTV is the home of the VT ANG and they fly -16C/D and used to fly the A/B. Also, there's a Beech 18 variant NW of the main group.

EDIT: and an OV-10 on the SW ramp http://goo.gl/maps/mi1Z3

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 5, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
If it's not obvious, those are all planes flown by the 134th Fighter Squadron of the Vermont Air National Guard, which operates right next to the airport.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

They're most likely steel brake pads.

Carbon brakes have become increasingly common on aircraft in last 10-15 years, but I'd be surprised if a retrofit was ever designed for the Tu-154, let alone if they were produced anywhere that would have been allowed to export them to North Korea.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
So Aérospatiale became Eurocopter, and now they are changing to to Airbus Helicopters. Thats lovely.

An operator was telling me that its going to create a mess with part numbers because there will be AS, EC and AB versions of the same parts now.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!
drat it, more F-35 delays. :psylon:

The Article posted:

According to a Lockheed spokesman, the military hopes to take delivery of the first F-35s “sometime in mid-2015, or, you know, whenever. You just never know, with these things.”

ctishman fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 5, 2014

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

azflyboy posted:

They're most likely steel brake pads.

Carbon brakes have become increasingly common on aircraft in last 10-15 years, but I'd be surprised if a retrofit was ever designed for the Tu-154, let alone if they were produced anywhere that would have been allowed to export them to North Korea.
One thing that has me scratching my head is whether cooling the brakes and wheels this way causes them to embrittle through quenching (and make them more likely to shatter under heavy load). I have heard that on some aircraft types it is strictly forbidden specifically for this reason and that some/most/all Airbuses have the option of having brake fans fitted, but perhaps somebody can fill us in on the details.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah, that's what I'm curious about too.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

azflyboy posted:

I guess there'd be a substantial chance of them cargo-culting piles of coal to finally achieve that next level of airplane brakes. Can't have that of course.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The only way I've ever seen aircraft brakes cooled is with air from a huffer, or fans. Spraying water on them is frowned upon.

That said, if the brakes are hot enough that they need to get cooled down faster than the ambient air can manage, I'm not going anywhere loving NEAR the gear for at least a half hour. I don't trust fusible plugs that much.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Kilonum posted:

Yeah, they're both -16s. BTV is the home of the VT ANG and they fly -16C/D and used to fly the A/B. Also, there's a Beech 18 variant NW of the main group.

EDIT: and an OV-10 on the SW ramp http://goo.gl/maps/mi1Z3

Why are they "displayed" inside the secure area where no civvies can see them? Because gently caress you, that's why.

e:and 2 F-102's at http://goo.gl/maps/yfNzh

e2:and this old T-29/C-131 http://goo.gl/maps/CVN1V

D C posted:

So Aérospatiale became Eurocopter, and now they are changing to to Airbus Helicopters. Thats lovely.

An operator was telling me that its going to create a mess with part numbers because there will be AS, EC and AB versions of the same parts now.

And I'm sure all the new "Airbus Helicopters" aircraft will totally be entered into the FAA registry accurately as such. (One company near me has their Astra SPX listed as an "1125 Westwind Astra." I get that this is mostly my spergy nitpicking, but is reading a dataplate that hard?)

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 5, 2014

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Bob A Feet posted:

Hey Ferretking were you the guy that kicked me out of the pattern today? Things were going great with one controller and I guess there was a shift change and we got the boot right there after. THANKS

I can't claim that one, I was off. When the weather is marginal as it has been for the past few days, some controllers are more willing to allow someone in the pattern than others. At some point if it's too hazy to see, or guys on the instrument approaches are going to be popping out of the clouds to find you turning final right in front of them, it just ends up being safer to shut the pattern down.

What are you flying again?

The other day I had a Navy King Air come to Corpus and want to hop over to Cabaniss field and do touch n goes. He probably went around the pattern once over there and said "gently caress this" then came back to Corpus and asked for an IFR clearance to go back to Truax. The weather has been kinda crappy for VFR work lately. We call the exchange between Corpus and Cabaniss a "Tower to Tower request" and it sorta went like this:

quote:

"Cabaniss tower, this is Corpus tower, tower to tower request"
"Approved"

(2 minutes pass)

"Corpus tower, this is Cabaniss tower, tower to tower request"
"Approved, he doesn't like it over there eh?"

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 5, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Anyone know if Boeing is flying their Seahawks 747 for the parade today? And if so, when?

E: yes, over the stadium in the afternoon, south to north at about 2000 ft. Thanks local news site I otherwise never visit!

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 5, 2014

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

United Airlines is dropping their hub at Cleveland. :confuoot:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Psion posted:

Anyone know if Boeing is flying their Seahawks 747 for the parade today? And if so, when?

E: yes, over the stadium in the afternoon, south to north at about 2000 ft. Thanks local news site I otherwise never visit!

Hmm I should go to the roof of my building. Any way to see the flight tracker?

edit:
will it be this?
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/BOE12

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 5, 2014

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

If you're not familiar with them, you may want to check out TFR's Airpower/Cold War thread and GiP's Current Events thread which both regularly get into this topic.

The short answer is everything that wasn't explicitly bought for Iraq/Afghanistan is decades-old and needs to be replaced, and there's no money for any of it. That goes a lot further than just aircraft. As dumb and broken as it sounds (because it is), the hope with multirole is that it gets a solution through Congress that's a mediocre answer to a variety of problems, where the alternative might be a good answer to one problem and nothing for the others.

Pretty much starting with the F-111, every platform that's suffered mission creep and the subsequent bloat it brings was set on that path in order to save money.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Worthleast posted:

It's 200mi from the United hub at ORD, 300mi from the Continental hub at EWR, and 400mi from the United hub at IAD. It's a densely-populated part of the country, but not dense enough to support four hubs for a single airline that close to each other.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Cocoa Crispies posted:

It's 200mi from the United hub at ORD, 300mi from the Continental hub at EWR, and 400mi from the United hub at IAD. It's a densely-populated part of the country, but not dense enough to support four hubs for a single airline that close to each other.

They are retaining a few useful directs and connecting through ORD isn't bad.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Worthleast posted:

Also known as "the Cincinnati treatment"

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
So Justin Briber allegedly hotboxes his chartered Gulfstream IV on the way to/from the Superbowl to the point the pilots had to use supplemental oxygen. I'm assuming they would have at some point asked him to knock it the gently caress off if it's endangering the safety of the aircrew/passengers.

I know we have some charter/contract pilots, anyone want to chime in here?

Does he not have to pass through customs security/bag inspection?

What kind of repercussions could these pilots have faced for diverting instead of slogging on with O2 masks, or not diverting and choosing to continue. Does the FAA care about smoking (cigarettes/cigars) on charter or private aircraft?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

SeaborneClink posted:

So Justin Briber allegedly hotboxes his chartered Gulfstream IV on the way to/from the Superbowl to the point the pilots had to use supplemental oxygen. I'm assuming they would have at some point asked him to knock it the gently caress off if it's endangering the safety of the aircrew/passengers.

What kind of repercussions could these pilots have faced for diverting instead of slogging on with O2 masks, or not diverting and choosing to continue. Does the FAA care about smoking (cigarettes/cigars) on charter or private aircraft?

That sounds like some tiger-beat level reporting of STDH. However, the security/baggage handling at a private FBO is the counter guy waving at you while you walk through the lobby with your duffle bag full of drugs, or if you are concerned about local enforcement, while one of your entourage walks through with a duffle bag full of drugs.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Slo-Tek posted:

That sounds like some tiger-beat level reporting of STDH.

It's pretty trashy, I was just watching the CNN ticker while not working. I assumed FBO security was like that

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Cocoa Crispies posted:

That's O'Hare, Newark, and Dulles for those keeping track at home.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

SeaborneClink posted:

Oxygen masks on and then cabin pressure to dump. Of course that would kill him at really high flight levels. Not that anyone would complain.

There is probably some FBO level security that he can just walk around. It is ultimately up to the charter pilot what he lets on and allows on his plane. Smoking can probably be gotten away with, even marijuana, but its ultimately what the pilot allows and what hes comfortable with, because its going to be his rear end that gets fired and loses his license.

And if he diverted that pilot would have done the right thing legally but probably would've gotten fired for pissing off such a big name client as Bieber.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SeaborneClink posted:

Thats quite a game of telephone.

tmz - ugh why am I quoting tmz posted:

Sources high up in the sky tell TMZ ... Justin and a group of his boyz got ridiculously high in their SUV on the way to the airport for a coast-to-coast flight on a private jet. When the doors opened on the tarmac, the pilot tells us smoke billowed out, adding, "I almost had to put on an oxygen mask."

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2013/09/12/justin-bieber-weed-plane-jet-smoke-marijuana/#ixzz2sUKx1Boq

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I thought the FARs prohibited carrying passengers obviously under the influence of drugs unless it is an emergency or otherwise authorized (like Medivac, Life Flight, etc).