Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The company releasing the Bluetooth ZX Spectrum keyboard via Kickstarter turns out to be run by a scumbag who doesn't credit developers or pay them royalties as well as going so far as to deface a Wikipedia page on the Speccy to pimp his product: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/952953995/bluetooth-zx-spectrum-recreating-the-sinclair-zx-s/comments?cursor=5779913#comment-5779912

Someone else dug up info on the company and found out they don't even seem to have details on where they got the Spectrum license from among other things. http://www.merseyremakes.co.uk/gibber/2014/01/the-elite-bluetooth-keyboard-breaking-down-the-problems/

The comments section of the Kickstarter has several people withdrawing their pledges and Elite has come out saying they'll make an appeal. Yeah, sure, with the license you supposedly have for the Speccy? Go ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/320857786/international-tom-hanks-day?ref=home_location
International Tom Hanks Day
"With your help, April 1st will no longer be known for Tom Foolery, but rather...TOM HANKS!!"
What is it really?
"The Lifeplayer MP3, financed mainly by Tom Hanks, offers on-demand education access to vulnerable populations."
I'm all for that. But having the approach be lets make a new hip holiday! seems to overshadow what is in fact lets help educate. Also who the heck wants to do a "Tom Hanks Day Party?".

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Junkie Disease posted:

Also who the heck wants to do a "Tom Hanks Day Party?".

Uh... does anyone have April Fool's Day parties either?

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0
Map designer and sketch artist for different Designs of the Terrain of the game. This is how the map is lay ed out before any textures or models i design and develop are added if there are rivers in the map he designs the unique look how wide how deep, The twist and curves in the river, how fast the water should move ex. As well as he works with Michael as a partner team in Designing the Shades.
/

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Pomp posted:

English is their native language.

That's some of Charlie Adlard's artwork for The Walking Dead, I'm pretty sure.

Because nothing says "I can deliver a project" like stealing artwork and passing it off as your own concept art.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Waffleman_ posted:

What is there in Ohio besides a high school prom that would justify a limo ride?

You can take a scenic tour of all the places where industry used to be! Or one of our many haunted prisons!

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Lemo Hotle sounds like a pretty good name for a soul singer.

Since I still don't know what a 'lemo' is, aside from one letter away from 'lemon', I choose to believe it is a 'budget' 'limo', aka some cheap piece of crap with horrible seats and suspension, and breaks down as soon as you're five miles away from anything remotely worthwhile.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

taiyoko posted:

Since I still don't know what a 'lemo' is, aside from one letter away from 'lemon', I choose to believe it is a 'budget' 'limo', aka some cheap piece of crap with horrible seats and suspension, and breaks down as soon as you're five miles away from anything remotely worthwhile.

Urban Dictionary suggests that it's a slang term for cocaine.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Great Rumbler posted:

Urban Dictionary suggests that it's a slang term for cocaine.

That explains so much.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Bwahahah its an iphone for your dog.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Lol it's not even that, it's a treat dispenser that costs 100 bucks and you plug your iPhone (not included) into it so you can teleconference with your dog (meaning you literally have a smart phone just for your dog and one with you, I guess), and then you can dispense treats.

the thing looks flimsy as gently caress. I can imagine zero dogs that just aren't going to go loving crazy and knock that poo poo over and hump it until it falls apart and then scarf up all the treats, then eat the phone.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Otisburg posted:

Lol it's not even that, it's a treat dispenser that costs 100 bucks and you plug your iPhone (not included) into it so you can teleconference with your dog (meaning you literally have a smart phone just for your dog and one with you, I guess), and then you can dispense treats.

the thing looks flimsy as gently caress. I can imagine zero dogs that just aren't going to go loving crazy and knock that poo poo over and hump it until it falls apart and then scarf up all the treats, then eat the phone.

backers
$11,723
pledged of $20,000 goal
days to go

27 days to go and they have well over half what they are asking for. Are Apple uses really this stupid?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
This just confirms my theory that dog lovers are just as loving unstable as cat people.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Was dogecoin not enough of an indication?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

It's their second go at this project, it got posted in here the first time too.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Kickstarter is what science fiction was trying to warn us about. We've gone too far, we must be stopped. No merciful god would allow this.

Bandit Queen
May 10, 2008
People have pledged almost $12,000 for a movie. Based off of Sherlock fanfic.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1879289266/a-finger-slip-web-series

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bandit Queen posted:

The first time I look at this thread in like a month and god drat it

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
loving. Hell. If only there was a way to alarm beebs executives so they'd take some legal actions against it...

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Bandit Queen posted:

Is it a homoerotic Sherlock fanfic at least? I'm not gonna pledge if not.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Is it a homoerotic Sherlock fanfic at least? I'm not gonna pledge if not.

It's a Sherlock fanfic what do you loving think

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Paladinus posted:

loving. Hell. If only there was a way to alarm beebs executives so they'd take some legal actions against it...

Obviously the original stories and characters are out of copyright, but could they get in trouble for using Cumberbatch's likeness in their promotional materials?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Talorat posted:

This just confirms my theory that dog lovers are just as loving unstable as cat people.

Unstable dog lover here, I can confirm this.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Crashbee posted:

Obviously the original stories and characters are out of copyright, but could they get in trouble for using Cumberbatch's likeness in their promotional materials?

I guess it's the same as with LotR films and books rights. Even when Tolkien works become public domain, you'll still be in trouble for portraying Legolas as Orlando Bloom look-alike or lifting other distinctive things from the films. And even if your work is not commercial, the company that holds rights to the franchise can send you a sweet cease and desist if they don't want you to screw up their image, as it happened with several non-commercial LotR-based video game mods. Also see 'Candy Crush Saga controversy'.
But then my knowledge of intellectual property rights is pretty much anecdotal, so I may be completely wrong.

FoiledShenanigans
Apr 6, 2012

Bandit Queen posted:

Good god, there's tumblr nose. and then there's skinned noses?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Paladinus posted:

I guess it's the same as with LotR films and books rights. Even when Tolkien works become public domain, you'll still be in trouble for portraying Legolas as Orlando Bloom look-alike or lifting other distinctive things from the films. And even if your work is not commercial, the company that holds rights to the franchise can send you a sweet cease and desist if they don't want you to screw up their image, as it happened with several non-commercial LotR-based video game mods. Also see 'Candy Crush Saga controversy'.
But then my knowledge of intellectual property rights is pretty much anecdotal, so I may be completely wrong.
To my knowledge, even if the work itself is out of copyright, individual performances/interpretations thereof are still protected. Like Beethoven's 9th is public domain, but the most recent performance of it by the London Symphony Orchestra isn't. So presumably even when LOTR is in the public domain, those movies will still be protected for several decades, which I assume would include character likenesses.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

FoiledShenanigans posted:

Watson just looks like there's a hole in his face...

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

FoiledShenanigans posted:

Why would anyone think this looked good unless you had some kind of clown fetish?

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Elfface posted:

Watson just looks like there's a hole in his face...

Faceholes are an important part of the dog dick universe.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

moerketid posted:

Why would anyone think this looked good unless you had some kind of clown fetish?

Honk honk

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
Well you see the hi-larious Penny Arcade does that nose thing so...

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

IDK about LotR since it was penned by a Englishman, but LOL if you think anything that came out in the US after 1928 will ever be "out of copyright."

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
There are an awful lot of things made after 1928 that are in the public domain. LOTR most likely will never be, since it's too profitable, and the company that owns it will simply keep extending the copyright notice. They work differently in other countries, for example, the character of Poyeye (but not all works featuring the character) is in the public domain in Europe.

But I'm no lawyer, so I'm probably wrong on the details.

TetsuoTW posted:

To my knowledge, even if the work itself is out of copyright, individual performances/interpretations thereof are still protected. Like Beethoven's 9th is public domain, but the most recent performance of it by the London Symphony Orchestra isn't. So presumably even when LOTR is in the public domain, those movies will still be protected for several decades, which I assume would include character likenesses.

The characters of the original stories are public domain, so anyone can make something using Sherlock Holmes. The thing is, the BBC version IS obviously copyrighted, along with the character likenesses.

So if they wanted to make a short film about Sherlock Holmes doing something, that's ok, since the character is public domain. They're doing something very specifically based on the Beneditch Cumberbatch version of the character, and that version of the character is in copyright.

The original source material isn't in copyright, but any derivative works based on them are copyrighted to the creators. So yeah, them trying to make money off this is copyright infringement. If it was about another Sherlock Holmes, they'd be in the clear, and could make money off it.

OldMemes has a new favorite as of 02:13 on Feb 6, 2014

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

OldMemes posted:

So if they wanted to make a short film about Sherlock Holmes doing something, that's ok, since the character is public domain. They're doing something very specifically based on the Beneditch Cumberbatch version of the character, and that version of the character is in copyright.

The original source material isn't in copyright, but any derivative works based on them are copyrighted to the creators. So yeah, them trying to make money off this is copyright infringement. If it was about another Sherlock Holmes, they'd be in the clear, and could make money off it.

Crap, I was going to make a Basil Rathbone joke, but apparently even those films are still under copyright to 20th Century Fox and Universal. The only Sherlock Holmes adaptations I could find in the public domain is the Arthur Wontner version from early 1930s and that's apparently because the original studio's out of business, the prints have gone missing and now it's only made off a second generation master.

I don't see the modern Sherlock fans clamoring over him so easily.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Young Freud posted:

Alas, not every Sherlock can have Cucumberbatch's beautiful, horse-like features.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Young Freud posted:

I dunno, he looks pretty modern and relaxed, he isn't even wearing a bowtie. I think he would screen well with contemporary audiences.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Out of a combination of sheer morbid curiosity and boredom I read the Sherlock fanfic they're talking about. And it pretty much has nothing to do with Sherlock at all. He's there but the fact that he's Sherlock has nothing to do with anything.

Honestly, if they remove all of the Sherlock stuff and edit it a bit they might be able to go all 50 Shades of Grey and sell it as an original piece.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
50 Studies in Scarlet...

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

steinrokkan posted:

I dunno, he looks pretty modern and relaxed, he isn't even wearing a bowtie. I think he would screen well with contemporary audiences.

he is a bit vampirey tbvf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Young Freud posted:

more for me :q: