Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

OK Octopus posted:

Ran into someone with a nearly level 100 Daredevil this morning. How the gently caress is that even possible?

For the low low price of hundreds of dollars you too can be a whale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Bruceski posted:

For the low low price of hundreds of dollars you too can be a whale.

It's like what, $50 to get a 3* star skill from lvl 1 to lvl 5?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Eddain posted:

It's like what, $50 to get a 3* star skill from lvl 1 to lvl 5?

It's 5000 HP so $25. A complete 3* dude needs 10 extra covers so 12500 HP or $62.5 to get'em. Of course, that dude will be at exp lvl1 sooooo.....

trucutru fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 5, 2014

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Also unless something changed all of the files are stored locally so it's possible to just cheat your levels and covers and stuff.

Moon Man
Mar 31, 2006

The Moon, for Christ's Sake
I really hate the low chance to get a GOOD reward for replaying an old mission. I'd really like to get some covers and hero points without spending money. I'm having flashbacks of PAD where, even during godfests, you have like a 5% chance to get something good.

Other than that, I really like this game.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Moon Man posted:

I really hate the low chance to get a GOOD reward for replaying an old mission. I'd really like to get some covers and hero points without spending money. I'm having flashbacks of PAD where, even during godfests, you have like a 5% chance to get something good.

1/3 chance assuming you want any of the Godfest gods. There have been multiple Godfests recently where that would be the case.

Even more important you only need one, not thirteen.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Moon Man posted:

Dude, at least with PaD, once you get a god, unless you're gonna be Moby Dick and roll for like 15 more copies of the god to try and skill it up or something, that's it. You're done. Your god is just as good as anyone else's if you just give it the time--the luck portion of getting it is over.

In MPQ's system you have to roll the god a minimum of 2 more times (if you're gonna spend money to skill it up), and a maximum of 12 more times times to maximize its potential, not just in terms of the getting all the skills but in order to be able to feed it exp and level it up at all.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

Dude, at least with PaD, once you get a god, unless you're gonna be Moby Dick and roll for like 15 more copies of the god to try and skill it up or something, that's it. You're done. Your god is just as good as anyone else's if you just give it the time--the luck portion of getting it is over.

In MPQ's system you have to roll the god a minimum of 2 more times (if you're gonna spend money to skill it up), and a maximum of 12 more times times to maximize its potential, not just in terms of the getting all the skills but in order to be able to feed it exp and level it up at all.

It's actually much more than 12 times since you're also looking for specific color covers. You could get Spiderman 50 times for all you want but if it's 50 Purple he's poo poo useless still.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Bleh... I like the switch-up to heroes for the LR's now but I'd wish they'd follow the same format as the diabolicals in that they give out specific covers instead of a random token. All I need at this point are black and red Hulk covers and the chances of getting that exact drop seem statistically unlikely.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
I'm kinda glad MPQ went through a period of complete skullduggery. It really made me scale back my time I spent on it. It looks like the best way to cure game compulsion is to make the game so difficult that the only way to progress is P2W. D3 really slammed the brakes on mid-tier players.

The PVE seems to have be more possible now, as long as you use the Hero Coin boosts for the tougher battles (before I couldn't even do it with the boosts - I'm talking about rainbow and 150%.)

I'll probably casually check into the game every once in a while, but I doubt it'll get many more hours as my most played Steam game.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So, what is the recommended build for two star Wolverine now? Seems like yellow is his weakest skill now but I am just guessing.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

OK Octopus posted:

Ran into someone with a nearly level 100 Daredevil this morning. How the gently caress is that even possible?

The game uses multiplayer bots named bacon magic, battle angel, kicks that kick and others, battle angel is currently equipped with a 115 daredevil, so you might have seen it.

The function of the bots is to make match making easier when events are new, I guess.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

trucutru posted:

So, what is the recommended build for two star Wolverine now? Seems like yellow is his weakest skill now but I am just guessing.

5/5/3 I think was the go-to now since his healing is trash.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I was top 5 with 8 minutes to go in No Holds Barred earlier today, and was beaten 4 or 5 times in a row to lose 80 points and drop to top 45 before the event ended. This shielding business is the worst.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

trucutru posted:

Well, I just tried to seriously compete in a lightning round and it was a shameful experience. Fight, win 23 points, lose 22 point from an attack, win 21, lose 24, etc, etc, etc. 45 minutes of non-stop fights to go from 232 points to 228 points, and get a top 250 finish. Last time I ever try to compete unless I have some seriously buffed team. (so it's probably going to be the last time)

Don't try to win, use it to get Iso

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Got an Invisible Woman from one of my tokens. Now she can sit unused with all my other level 1 characters.

At least it might get me access to some missions in the future (who am I kidding, I missed the boat on that already)

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
yeah I have a few covers that let me do extra missions but honestly what's a level 6-25 cover gonna help me when those enemies are 230 heroes?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

messagemode1 posted:

The game uses multiplayer bots named bacon magic, battle angel, kicks that kick and others, battle angel is currently equipped with a 115 daredevil, so you might have seen it.

The function of the bots is to make match making easier when events are new, I guess.
Where did you find this out? I'm intrigued. Was it just buried in that spamfield they call a forum over there?

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

CrashCat posted:

Where did you find this out? I'm intrigued. Was it just buried in that spamfield they call a forum over there?

Self discovery? When you start a tournament look at your very first opponents in each field. They probably have a level 15, 1, and 2 and they're named those names. Battle angel usually also has 1/2/15 scrub characters too but this time he had a 115 daredevil.

Another one is haiguyzdoom. There aren't that many more.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I think the latest patch may have fixed PvE a little. I just randomly checked, and all the PvE levels are actually reasonable now. Level 40s for the 2nd and 3rd battle, scaling up like you used to expect to 120 for the top battle. I wonder if they just undid the auto scaling, or made it to a level that actually made sense.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Orvin posted:

I think the latest patch may have fixed PvE a little. I just randomly checked, and all the PvE levels are actually reasonable now. Level 40s for the 2nd and 3rd battle, scaling up like you used to expect to 120 for the top battle. I wonder if they just undid the auto scaling, or made it to a level that actually made sense.

MMR may have been reset, I keep seeing players with level 1 and 2 characters that I don't think are seed accounts. Who knows if it was intentional or not. It was probably an accident and they have no way to recover it. But hey, everyone did want an MMR reset anyway!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

pixaal posted:

MMR may have been reset, I keep seeing players with level 1 and 2 characters that I don't think are seed accounts. Who knows if it was intentional or not. It was probably an accident and they have no way to recover it. But hey, everyone did want an MMR reset anyway!

This is definitely not the case. I just hopped on to check the mission I couldn't beat which is third from the last, and it has jumped from 159 to 179 in the time I haven't been playing since then. I'm in 147th place out of 200 with a way better roster than everyone around me :(

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

They might have realised their new PvE structure wasn't working - top guy in my bracket has 10,000 points instead of 50,000+ and the top ten starts at 4,000.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
State of the Bracket Address:

#2 is running L18 Daredevil, L30 Widow Modern, L30 IM35.
#3 is running L50 IM35, L45 Storm Classic, L15 Daredevil, L15 Spidey Classic.
#4 is running L50 IM35, L18 Grey Widow (no Green), L15 Daredevil, L9 Storm Classic.

After that I'm at least seeing some 85s and whatnot.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

This is definitely not the case. I just hopped on to check the mission I couldn't beat which is third from the last, and it has jumped from 159 to 179 in the time I haven't been playing since then. I'm in 147th place out of 200 with a way better roster than everyone around me :(

Did you update your client? Everything is like level 20 instead of 60 for me now. Maybe they nerfed the curve and your at the high end of it. Stuff is definitely lower for me, or maybe brackets are scaling. Top in my bracket is only 5k.

I don't see a reason to push too far above 50th place extra MMR for the same card.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 6, 2014

Puweyxil
Oct 19, 2001
I like to eat cheese.
Dinosaur Gum

rabidsquid posted:

Most of mine dropped about 100 levels, from 230 to 100-130ish. I am currently 20th in my bracket with a little over 2000 pts. I had just come to terms with the fact that I'd take a top 20 ranking while only doing a handful of missions a day, but now I'll probably have to grind out a full clear tonight to maintain my ranking. (The developers can't win; They fixed their botched PvE scaling, but now I'm upset that they changed the rules of a 7 day event with less than 12 hours until it ends).

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

delfin posted:

#4 is running L50 IM35, L18 Grey Widow (no Green), L15 Daredevil, L9 Storm Classic.

Wish I could reach high like that. but every opponent I find are just loving level 50+ pieces of garbage.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

delfin posted:

Isn't it a good thing that Even beginners stand a chance at placing well and getting progression rewards in pve events?

Although I'm part if the bottom 50% that has 85s but can't even beat most of the missions.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
It's doing what it's intended to do. New players get a false sense of "hey this game is really fun and I'm making progress", old players who spend gobs of money have the tools to keep up with the scaling. Anyone in the middle can gently caress right off cause they don't want you playing anyways.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I went back through and looked at their Funbalancing list. Hawkeye Modern is on that list. He's not overpowered... is he?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Of course it is, but I'd rather they bracketed based on what characters/levels people have so that you competed against peers at an even level rather than got my level 100s shat on by a guy who hasn't even maxed a one-star because of a progression-punishing metric.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

I went back through and looked at their Funbalancing list. Hawkeye Modern is on that list. He's not overpowered... is he?

Its both buffs and nerfs, they are doing nerfs before buffs, because that is the logical order.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

The rewards for this Wolverine tournament being Thors, that's just them being assholes, isn't it.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Haha, In your face Happy Noodle Boy! I have exactly one more point than you in Heroic Mode. (I'm "ospertruc")

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

The rewards for this Wolverine tournament being Thors, that's just them being assholes, isn't it.

That actually kinda makes sense, or else you would probably have yet another "need X dude to get more X dude" situation.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 6, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

trucutru posted:

Haha, In your face Happy Noodle Boy! I have exactly one more point than you in Heroic Mode. (I'm "ospertruc")

Man and here I was ready to forget about that. Now I have to play and catch up :argh:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Man and here I was ready to forget about that. Now I have to play and catch up :argh:

Haha, you wish, my MMR just went nuts and I am facing lvl2 oponents in PvP and the PvE enemies dropped 70 levels.

I wish it stays like this. I am scared.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

pixaal posted:

Its both buffs and nerfs, they are doing nerfs before buffs, because that is the logical order.
I'd argue you'd logically buff characters first because then people will try them out and work on them while you roll out the nerfs while monitoring the effect of the buffs. You may find the nerfs are not quite so necessary once other characters are better, whereas if you nerf first the buffs may turn out to be just as OP as the nerfed characters and your cycle begins again.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Having played against several 85 thors and wolverines in no holds barred I have to say they aren't that bad. Thors green picks up some of the slack and wolverine red still does plenty of damage. They both have a chance to fire off their skills too without boosts accelerating beginning of the match.

messagemode1 fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 6, 2014

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I just got an Invisible Woman from a 2** + token. Is it worthwhile keeping her as I doubt I'll be able to get another cover for a long time, and I'm already using up all my cover spaces, so adding her would mean dropping someone else... I guess I could drop Hawkeye classic, but I like his board control abilities for PvE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

I'd argue you'd logically buff characters first because then people will try them out and work on them while you roll out the nerfs while monitoring the effect of the buffs. You may find the nerfs are not quite so necessary once other characters are better, whereas if you nerf first the buffs may turn out to be just as OP as the nerfed characters and your cycle begins again.

I was mocking them of course you would buff first.