Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~

GuestBob posted:

:ohdear: Most goons are okay I think.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

The Worst Muslim posted:

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Well, obviously there's you.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"

GuestBob posted:

Well, obviously there's you.

How many goons have you met? I am probably in the top 5 most normal and well adjusted

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

The Worst Muslim posted:

How many goons have you met? I am probably in the top 5 most normal and well adjusted

Are you wearing a cardigan right now?

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

GuestBob posted:

Are you wearing a cardigan right now?

Are you?

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Yes.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

The Worst Muslim posted:

He's met me and I'm cool like ice

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Are you wearing anything else?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Worst Muslim posted:

wut

If this is true I don't even

The Great Autismo! fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Feb 4, 2014

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

What r u wearing right now

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

peanut posted:

What r u wearing right now

Anything you want, baby

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I think I am confident to say that I have met the most number of other goons in East Asia. Either hosting or going out of my way to different goon cities to meet them.

Some I know pretty well, some not so much or have met only once or twice.

The verdict? It really really varies. Goons may be more sociable because we tolerate goatse and therefore stomach all sorts of situations. But really, goons come in all shapes and sizes.

Can we just stick to China job and travel stuff here?

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

kru posted:

He's met me and I'm cool like ice

ice to meet you

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

HAPPY F!UN MAGIC ENGLISH TIEM~~~

caberham posted:

I think I am confident to say that I have met the most number of other goons in East Asia. Either hosting or going out of my way to different goon cities to meet them.

Some I know pretty well, some not so much or have met only once or twice.

The verdict? It really really varies. Goons may be more sociable because we tolerate goatse and therefore stomach all sorts of situations. But really, goons come in all shapes and sizes.

Can we just stick to China job and travel stuff here?

Seriously ya'll, why do we even have a LAN thread? Everything is LAN.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I don't know. I feel like some of this thread might appropriately be about what it means to be in a particular (and interesting) form of expat community in China, whereas the LAN is often the expression of being in such a community. But as I said, I dunno.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

FearCotton posted:

Seriously ya'll, why do we even have a LAN thread? Everything is LAN.

LAN is where PPC could use his moonspeak skills without seeming like a douchebag.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Anyone been skiing in China before?

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Sogol posted:

I don't know. I feel like some of this thread might appropriately be about what it means to be in a particular (and interesting) form of expat community in China, whereas the LAN is often the expression of being in such a community. But as I said, I dunno.

HEIIIIIIIIIIIIIDEGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

China megathread = Being and Time

China LAN thread = being in time

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Bloodnose posted:

Anyone been skiing in China before?

Yep. Went skiing at Yabuli not far from Harbin (and on a tiny bunny hill just outside Xi'an, but that doesn't really count). Can answer questions you might have.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 4, 2014

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Was it fun?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I went skiing outside of Beijing once. It wasn't very fun because there were so many Chinese people that simply kept falling down and I had to maneuver around them.

Actually now that I type that it was rather fun.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Only time I ever went skiing was in Japan. I fell down; and a Chinese woman hit me as I was trying to get up.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

VideoTapir posted:

Only time I ever went skiing was in Japan. I fell down; and a Chinese woman hit me as I was trying to get up.

I imagine she wasn't even skiing and was just staring at her phone while she walked. I bet she yelled at you for being in her way, too.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

synertia posted:

I imagine she wasn't even skiing and was just staring at her phone while she walked. I bet she yelled at you for being in her way, too.

Well, she was yelling, because she couldn't stop or turn. Neither of us had any idea what we were doing.

She was actually a friend of mine, not just a random Chinese person.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

For all you HK tourists, I thought I'd best let you know that Shatin Sewage Treatment plant is having an open day to celebrate 25 years of the Drainage Services Department! Here's the cherry on top - :siren:FREE ADMISSION AND FREE SHUTTLE BUS!!:siren:

Truly Asia's World City :china:

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

goldboilermark posted:

I went skiing outside of Beijing once. It wasn't very fun because there were so many Chinese people that simply kept falling down and I had to maneuver around them.

Actually now that I type that it was rather fun.

I went snowboarding outside Beijing once and it was awesome because I was the only person on the longest slope they had, like 15 minutes to get up and I could just gently caress around all I wanted.

The worst was actually in Hiroshima with a bunch of people in brand-name gear and no idea how to snowboard falling and sitting everywhere, it was like a minefield.

The best was Niseko, Hokkaido with 2 feet of fresh powder everyday, it was a beautiful dream.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

tacoman165 posted:

The worst was actually in Hiroshima with a bunch of people in brand-name gear and no idea how to snowboard people from Hong Kong falling and sitting everywhere, it was like a minefield.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

What's the name of the Beijing snowboarding place you went to?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I worked at Powder Mountain outside of Ogden one winter. That was the most beautiful skiing I have ever done and I will probably never have a better go of work or skiing than I did there. Was simply outstanding.

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

BadAstronaut posted:

What's the name of the Beijing snowboarding place you went to?

I always went to Nanshan because it was pretty decent and they had bus service from Sanyuanqiao and back.

edit: 8 hours on the slopes and renting everything was something like 250 kuai (not including deposits), but bring your own food and beer.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I really might jump on that idea, hey. Got a decent accomm suggestion before I hit up TripAdvisor?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I went to the Ice Festival yesterday. At 330 kuai a person, it was...alright.

Some of the sights are really quite impressive and nice, but this year's theme, "cartoons of the world" was really weird and confusing. It was pretty disappointing in that respect. Highlights, however, include the giant loving buddha carved out of snow and a massive tower of ice with the ICBC logo on it. A lot of the ice sculptures were downright confusing, though, and seemed to have been changed halfway through from the original design to things that didn't really make much sense.

So yeah, The Ice Festival: maybe worth your money, I don't know. Expect crowds and lines to actually go into the ice sculptures.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.

Ceciltron posted:

Some of the sights are really quite impressive and nice, but this year's theme, "cartoons of the world" was really weird and confusing.

It was all anime wasn't it

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It is supposedly one of the three largest ice festivals in the world. I've never been but year after year mates from Tianjin have gone. Maybe next year I'll get on it, I wanted to go this year but the girlfriend has already gone and had no interest in going again so I figured I'd just chill in the city with her this Spring Festival.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

tacoman165 posted:

I went snowboarding outside Beijing once and it was awesome because I was the only person on the longest slope they had, like 15 minutes to get up and I could just gently caress around all I wanted.

The worst was actually in Hiroshima with a bunch of people in brand-name gear and no idea how to snowboard falling and sitting everywhere, it was like a minefield.

The best was Niseko, Hokkaido with 2 feet of fresh powder everyday, it was a beautiful dream.

Yeah new snowboarders are always so freaking obnoxious. They just block the slopes and sit on their asses all day long. They also need the lifts to slow down because they suck.

Niseko is truly awesome. It's like whistler nice and full of different mountains. I do want to try skiing in China some time though.

I say winter goon trip should be a ski trip. NO BEGINNERS. Well, just take lessons beforehand. Even hk has an indoor skiing school with a rolling carpet.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
I finally made it to Chengdu! Can we update the OP to say that I'm here?

Still waiting on that culture shock, so far it's been pretty fun but, stressful trying to set up.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
So, invited to the NET interviews in New York next month.

Buut they say they need an original copy of my TEFL certificate. Which I no longer have and CTLC says cannot be replaced, "Due to the seals and signatures on it." Waiting to hear back on whether this will be an insurmountable problem.

Would really hate to lose my chance at a job like this because I lost a piece of paper while I was moving.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Ceciltron posted:

Câlisse mon asti, t'as ben qu'elquepart ŕ rester a Harbin si jamais tu visite!

Hey I missed that post but c'est noté en criss! I might be going to Hong Kong in some near future though, that would be so awesome.

VVV Woop!

Senso fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Feb 6, 2014

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'll gladly host Francophone Gooncon en Chine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

caberham posted:

Yeah new snowboarders are always so freaking obnoxious. They just block the slopes and sit on their asses all day long. They also need the lifts to slow down because they suck.

Niseko is truly awesome. It's like whistler nice and full of different mountains. I do want to try skiing in China some time though.

I say winter goon trip should be a ski trip. NO BEGINNERS. Well, just take lessons beforehand. Even hk has an indoor skiing school with a rolling carpet.

I think it's people who've never taken lessons getting out there and having no idea what to do or any sense of slope etiquette. I took lessons the first 2-3 times I went and I'm grateful for it. When I was new I sat a lot because getting up (and staying up) is haaaaard when you first start out. TAKE LESSONS GOONS! AND WEAR A HELMET!

What I'm trying to say is, skiing is for middle-aged Europeans. Nanshan's not terrible (they hold X-Games events there), but Niseko spoils you. I've heard the best ski resort in China is Duolemeidi but have never been.