Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

panascope posted:

Transfer sheets can be cool but I can never get mine to look right. They always fold up on themselves.

Grab some microsol and microset. Makes them look Great and adhere to non flat surfaces better.

As for the Fleur-de-lis transfers, if you can't get hold of SOB or Brettonian sheets, you can always order the transfer paper and make your own. There's a few guides for painting them as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Deviant, I would love those. PM me to hash this out.

Also, one of the models I got was this one - this isn't a picture of the actual model I have in possession, but it's at home and I'm at work. If anyone's interested, let me know.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

PantsOptional posted:

I had been looking into doing the Third Street Saints idea that someone posted a while back as a color scheme, but it looks like SoB transfers are a thing of the past. If I really want to do this, should I just suck it up and learn to freehand these bad boys? Do people even use transfer sheets anymore?

You can occasionally find them on ebay, but its kind of a crapshoot. It seems no one has really made custom ones that you can print out, but if you dig around you should be able to find a scan of the sheets and make your own. This guy has some scans, so you could probably work from there.

If you just want some Inquisition stuff though, B&C has you covered.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Where's a good place to buy plasticard online?

This might be a good place. The site is straight 2001-era bad, but they keep Evergreen in stock, which has a number of patterns available. Evergreen seems unwilling to sell stuff direct for some reason.

JTT is also a good source. I've got a sheet of their tread plate kicking around somewhere.

The Heckler posted:

Grab some microsol and microset. Makes them look Great and adhere to non flat surfaces better.

Real men use Solvaset :colbert:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

PantsOptional posted:

Deviant, I would love those. PM me to hash this out.

Also, one of the models I got was this one - this isn't a picture of the actual model I have in possession, but it's at home and I'm at work. If anyone's interested, let me know.

This model rules, I just painted him up for my Ultras in November:

Now that Games Day 1991 captain, he I would be interested in...

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

panascope posted:

Transfer sheets can be cool but I can never get mine to look right. They always fold up on themselves.

The Heckler posted:

One of my friends did a tutorial on applying transfers that goes over using microsol and microset.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The Heckler posted:

you can always order the transfer paper and make your own. There's a few guides for painting them as well.

Oh I should keep that in mind if I ever want to come up with something special for my guardsmen for shoulder insignia as my free handing is horrible anyway.
First I just need to come up with what to use.

Also I should probably try to look into buying some microsol and microset as well since painting normal model kits aside from Warhams tends to involve a lot of transfers.
I mean I still haven't even bothered using any of the IG transfers yet on my guys. Should probably use at least the numbers for squad separation or something. Got plenty of sheets anyway.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

One of my friends did a tutorial on applying transfers that goes over using microsol and microset.

You're a beautiful person and this is going to be my project tonight.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

PantsOptional posted:

I had been looking into doing the Third Street Saints idea that someone posted a while back as a color scheme, but it looks like SoB transfers are a thing of the past. If I really want to do this, should I just suck it up and learn to freehand these bad boys? Do people even use transfer sheets anymore?

I found some at http://www.3vwargames.co.uk/index.htm. Specifically their Medieval 15mm and 25mm have all fleur transfers. I've ordered some and I'll post the results when I get them, so if you're patient and want to wait for someone to vouch for these before you dole out for them, I'm your huckleberry.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Forgeworld posted:

There is no current FAQ but we will be updating the rules for all of our Tyranid models in the near future.

Nothing we didn't already know but it's nice to hear it from Forgeworld. Kind of BS that all the models, sans 2, have been updated in the past year and spread out over 4 books, Codex: Tyranids, Apoc, FW: Apoc, Escalation. And I have bought all but Escalation, just to learn that if I waited I could have gotten all the rules for 1/3rd the price.
That’s bad marketing, in my opinion.

Now, FW has stated, in an official email, that they 'will be updating the rules for all of our Tyranid models in the near future.'

So, does this mean new rules for Hive Tyrants, Rippers, Sky Slashers, and other Codex: Tyranids Models? I am actually very intrigued.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

Two Feet From Bread posted:

So, does this mean new rules for Hive Tyrants, Rippers, Sky Slashers, and other Codex: Tyranids Models? I am actually very intrigued.

All the same pictures from the last IA: 4, but new photoshop filters applied.

Unit entries that reference page numbers in the new codex.

No fixes or buffs for any of the GCs, but point cost increases because why not.

That'll be $110, thanks.

Badgersmasher
Dec 31, 2013

Tequila Ranger posted:

All the same pictures from the last IA: 4, but new photoshop filters applied.

Unit entries that reference page numbers in the new codex.

No fixes or buffs for any of the GCs, but point cost increases because why not.

That'll be $110, thanks.

Seems legit.

Though seriously, I have high hopes for the updates to the FW tyranids units; given the buffs that everything else has received leaving them out of the fun doesn't seem likely.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

First tac squad of the 3rd Founding Saints is done. Waiting on fleur de Lys transfers for shoulder adornments and I need to decide on how to base them, but I'm pleased with the look so far and they're not taking an obnoxious amount of time to do. (~3 hours for 10 so far).

The mould lines are unfortunate, however the models came assembled and primed from the guy I bought them from and I really didn't want to spend hours scratching off primer and plastic to reduce the lines on generic tactical marines. (I am up to something like 118 of them, all said.)

I'll save the detail work for sternguard or ICs. This is all about just getting to table quality so I can play, not showing off what some dude a month into the hobby can do for best in show kudos.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

koreban posted:

I'll save the detail work for sternguard or ICs. This is all about just getting to table quality so I can play, not showing off what some dude a month into the hobby can do for best in show kudos.

These are nice and clean and look great dude.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Badgersmasher posted:

Seems legit.

Though seriously, I have high hopes for the updates to the FW tyranids units; given the buffs that everything else has received leaving them out of the fun doesn't seem likely.

That's what I thought about Codex: Tyranids after reading the Eldar and Tau books.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
All this talk of last minute proxies has me a little bemused. When I played semi-regularly it was normal when arranging a game to tell each other which army you would be using. Have things changed so much?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

EdBlackadder posted:

All this talk of last minute proxies has me a little bemused. When I played semi-regularly it was normal when arranging a game to tell each other which army you would be using. Have things changed so much?
It changes wildly from place to place, and in pickup games you don't always have that luxury. Games at the club Zhent and I play at tend to be "who wants a game this week? I want to try out my Ultramarines" "Okay, cool, I'll bring my Orks" or something to that effect, but even then it's sometimes a surprise. My worst was when I played at a game store in Boston where I showed up, the guy asked to see my list, went into a corner and scrawled out a list specifically to beat it, and what do you know, he did. Then he gloated about it. That's why I don't go there anymore.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

EdBlackadder posted:

I don't think it's so much about knowing which army you are going against as much as it is something along the lines of (for example): I show up with a pre-written list playing Ultramarines, know that I'm going against Tyranid today, see specifically that it's Horde Tyrannid and suddenly my list has 3 Thunderfire Cannons in it and all my "special weapon models" count-as having Heavy Bolters now. In my group we have "armies only" knowledge, not that it really matters because I'm the only one with multiple armies that get played regularly. Nobody talks about what they are going to bring exactly unless we're playing teams although most of us have a general idea of who's bringing what seeing as we've been playing together for years. We don't even tell each other what's exactly in our Transports or Reserves other than "stuff".

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

My shop is starting up an escalation league in a week or so, I'm looking for an Eldar list that's solid without being too mean to new players (I.E. No Scatterserpents). This is what I've got so far:

Farseer, Wraithforge Stone
20 Guardians, 2 Brightlances
5 Rangers
3 Jetbikes, Shuriken Cannon
Wraithlord, 2 Brightlances, Ghostglaive

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Pacheeco posted:

We don't even tell each other what's exactly in our Transports or Reserves other than "stuff".

I'm pretty sure you have to answer this if asked.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Deviant posted:

I'm pretty sure you have to answer this if asked.

Maybe in pick-up game land you do; I honestly don't even know if that is a rule, it might be. Not knowing what is in each Transport (or Reserves) makes the game more interesting (how would you know, within the confines of the setting of the battle, exactly what is in that Rhino driving towards you or what parts of your opponents army haven't arrived yet?) but we don't have to deal with the other player lying about what they brought or what's in the Transports (or Reserves) so it works well for us.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 5, 2014

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Pacheeco posted:

Maybe in pick-up game land you do; I honestly don't even know if that is a rule, it might be. Not knowing what is in each Transport (or Reserves) makes the game more interesting but we don't have to deal with the other player lying about what they brought or what's in the Transports (or Reserves) so it works well for us.

What are you, high? Of course you do. This prevents you from taking two transports and determining which unit is in each whenever it's most convenient to do so, i.e. "well you blew that one up so I guess my warlord is in this one"

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

The only way I'd _ever_ allow secret transports is if you numbered every single transport and then numbered the units on your army list to keep you from switching them.

Tournament play is definitely non secret though. But tournament 40k is bad and attracts bad people and you should never play it.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

TheChirurgeon posted:

What are you, high? Of course you do. This prevents you from taking two transports and determining which unit is in each whenever it's most convenient to do so, i.e. "well you blew that one up so I guess my warlord is in this one"

Hey, like I said, I have a good group of players to play with. I can understand that completely when playing with a complete stranger or in Tournaments and whatnot.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Pacheeco posted:

Hey, like I said, I have a good group of players to play with. I can understand that completely when playing with a complete stranger.

So first off, dedicated transports can't start the game transporting any unit except the one they're paired with. Second, even when I play with my regular group, I specify at the start of the game "this unit is in this transport," and place a single unit on top (since it's usually a rhino or land raider." This is a good way for both of us to keep track of what's where. I'm not trying to win by tricking my friends and so I'm happy to show my list and explain what units have what equipment whenever asked. I rarely, if ever play with strangers.

*edited

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 5, 2014

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
It would actually be a really interesting scenario to run, where units are represented by tokens until the enemy gets line of sight on it. Would probably work better in a very low point game or Kill Team, and you'd have to play against someone you knew was trustworthy. Asymmetrical information can make wargames more fun if it's handled well.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

TheChirurgeon posted:

So first off, dedicated transports can't transport any unit except the one they're paired with.

This is incorrect as far as I know (and if it's not, please quote the rules so I can look it up). The only restriction I'm aware of is that if any unit starts the game embarked on the transport, it must be the unit for which it's a dedicated transport? Maybe that's what you meant. Otherwise, my understanding is that other units can embark on the transport during the game as normal.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

JerryLee posted:

This is incorrect as far as I know (and if it's not, please quote the rules so I can look it up). The only restriction I'm aware of is that if any unit starts the game embarked on the transport, it must be the unit for which it's a dedicated transport? Maybe that's what you meant. Otherwise, my understanding is that other units can embark on the transport during the game as normal.

Dedicated Transports are purchased with the unit and can only start with that unit inside. They can carry other units after the game starts though, you're right about that. But if you're hiding who's in a transport, then you started the game embarked.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

SRM posted:

My worst was when I played at a game store in Boston where I showed up, the guy asked to see my list, went into a corner and scrawled out a list specifically to beat it, and what do you know, he did. Then he gloated about it. That's why I don't go there anymore.

We sometimes get guys from Boston at tournaments here in Western Mass, and the general consensus is "these guys are dicks." The guy you mentioned might be part of that group.

Kaza42 posted:

It would actually be a really interesting scenario to run, where units are represented by tokens until the enemy gets line of sight on it.

So, Space Hulk? :v:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

TheChirurgeon posted:

Dedicated Transports are purchased with the unit and can only start with that unit inside. They can carry other units after the game starts though, you're right about that. But if you're hiding who's in a transport, then you started the game embarked.

Okay, then I was just misreading you. Just, whenever one of the vets in this thread says something, I always want to double-check to make sure I'm not playing wrong :sweatdrop:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Slimnoid posted:

We sometimes get guys from Boston at tournaments here in Western Mass, and the general consensus is "these guys are dicks." The guy you mentioned might be part of that group.
Most people I've run into in Boston have been fine, but then again I'm in kind of a comfy little echochamber of like minded warhams with the club I go to. Almost that entire store/club was like that guy in my experience, unfortunately.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Kaza42 posted:

It would actually be a really interesting scenario to run, where units are represented by tokens until the enemy gets line of sight on it. Would probably work better in a very low point game or Kill Team, and you'd have to play against someone you knew was trustworthy. Asymmetrical information can make wargames more fun if it's handled well.

This exists, it's in Infinity.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

SRM posted:

Most people I've run into in Boston have been fine, but then again I'm in kind of a comfy little echochamber of like minded warhams with the club I go to. Almost that entire store/club was like that guy in my experience, unfortunately.

We have a player who does this. He has a ton of models that he'll drag along to the store and then build a list based on who he's playing. He says its a fluff thing, which I get - but by the same token I would prefer it if I could do the same. Sadly I'm limited (by myself) to the models I've painted or committed to painting.

I think list tailoring to an opponent's codex choice (not their specific list) could be a fun way of setting up a campaign, but for pick up games I would consider it rude.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

JerryLee posted:

Okay, then I was just misreading you. Just, whenever one of the vets in this thread says something, I always want to double-check to make sure I'm not playing wrong :sweatdrop:

yeah, sorry about that!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

SRM posted:

Name of the store? I might know it.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Telling your opponent what unit is in which transport is in the rule book. You absolutely have to do it (other than house rules).

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

TheChirurgeon posted:

So first off, dedicated transports can't start the game transporting any unit except the one they're paired with. Second, even when I play with my regular group, I specify at the start of the game "this unit is in this transport," and place a single unit on top (since it's usually a rhino or land raider." This is a good way for both of us to keep track of what's where. I'm not trying to win by tricking my friends and so I'm happy to show my list and explain what units have what equipment whenever asked. I rarely, if ever play with strangers.

*edited

I don't think simply not revealing what is in a transport would constitute malicious tricking and somehow "tarnish" a win; assuming we're talking about a "no cheating, 100% honest, friends only group" situation. Having a unit magically move from one transport to another or becoming a completely different unit isn't tricking, that's straight up cheating, which isn't tolerated. My group considers not knowing exactly what is in a transport or reserves part of the strategy of playing the game (in a completely honest closed environment, not pick-up games or Tournaments) but I can see that this would vary among people and I would never force how I/we play onto complete strangers. When you start deducing down what exactly could be in a Dedicated Transport it doesn't take long to figure out the general idea. If I'm playing against Necrons there's essentially 2 units that could start in a Ghost Ark and they're almost the same unit, the only thing I have to think about is what might be attached to that unit. But if I'm playing against Grey Knights and I see a Rhino there's 4 unit possibilities which are all pretty different and that makes me have to consider all the options. It's honestly not a variable that lasts very long, once units start shooting everybody knows pretty much instantly what is in each transport (except the ones with no fire points). All it does is add a layer of strategy and forces everybody to think about their opponents list for the first 1 or 2 turns.

Obviously this is a private gaming group and I completely concede that full disclosure of information is absolutely necessary in Tournaments and pick-up games, not that I was ever intending to dispute that it wasn't.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 5, 2014

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Bavius posted:

We have a player who does this. He has a ton of models that he'll drag along to the store and then build a list based on who he's playing. He says its a fluff thing, which I get - but by the same token I would prefer it if I could do the same. Sadly I'm limited (by myself) to the models I've painted or committed to painting.

I think list tailoring to an opponent's codex choice (not their specific list) could be a fun way of setting up a campaign, but for pick up games I would consider it rude.

My army's fluff is that they always win :smug:

Slimnoid posted:

Name of the store? I might know it.
Pandemonium and the 'Arvard Ardboyz. They weren't all bad, but most of my experiences there were pretty similar. That was a while ago; hopefully it's gotten better in the 5 years since I went, but it wasn't a good time for me generally.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
According to Battle Scribe, this $430 army is 1000 points if I give every unit the most/best gear they can get using the Siege List. That's not TOO terrible, but I guess I will end up having to add on to this later on. :drat: Here's hoping the seller lowers it to $430 as promised.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

That still sounds pretty expensive for that kind of guard army, especially a not very good/small one. I wouldn't pick it up unless you're really, really keen on the converted models. You're gonna need to buy a few more hundred bucks worth of tanks at least!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badgersmasher
Dec 31, 2013

field balm posted:

That still sounds pretty expensive for that kind of guard army, especially a not very good/small one. I wouldn't pick it up unless you're really, really keen on the converted models. You're gonna need to buy a few more hundred bucks worth of tanks at least!

Or, god forbid, more infantry.

Honestly, it's not a bad price per se but it could be better. I got 1.5k points of steel legion a while back for less than half that.

• Locked thread