Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah JediTalentAgent your teacher was totally full of poo poo and deserves a kick to the head. A quick google search yields a bunch of side by side comparison pictures that display that even though the Lion King isn't a direct ripoff or 1:1 translation of Kimba, there's absolutely no way that the people working on the Lion King weren't aware of it and cribbing from it.

At what point does the line get drawn between inspiration, homage, rip-off and cribbing in that sort of creative sense? How much or little is needed to be a rip-off or be a unique creation?

Even if the Incredibles is an absolutely great film on its own merits, I've still heard people call it a Watchmen rip-off despite the overall themes and directions of the stories being about two different things. People criticizing Neil Gaiman for 'selling out' to WB because he didn't have any problem with Harry Potter and Books of Magic being so similar as he said they both drew from the same influences. Matrix, the first week it was out, I heard anime fans calling it the first live-action anime as a compliment, then took to calling it a completely shameless rip-off the next week as an insult. Etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Lion King has its own distinct plot and more than enough original or at least differently sourced pieces of material to count as its own work. However there are numerous visual and minor plot similarities between the Lion King and Kimba that they go beyond pure reference and are straight up translations if not outright rip-offs of design. See more here if you haven't already.

I can't say where the exact line is between inspiration, homage, rip-off, and cribbing in a technical sense because it seems to vary on a case-by-case basis and seems to only be identifiable in hindsight. That said in this particular case it's more than just a coincidence and anyone who says otherwise is delusional.

So with that said I've never heard a compelling argument for the Incredibles and Watchmen. Outside of a few very minor plot points and themes they could not be more different interpretations of superhero material. Harry Potter and the Books of Magic are nothing alike aside from the main character looking just like Harry Potter and having a pet owl. The Matrix cribs from nearly any cyberpunk and anime work it wants to in order to suit its purpose, but is still unquestionably its own creation-- at worst a Frankenstein's creation, and I wouldn't even argue that much.

Sometimes people just want to cry foul. However sometimes there is a body of evidence that can be compiled and a case to be made. However this tends to be surprisingly rarer than one would think given the whole "Great artists steal" mentality present in commercial art.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

TwoPair posted:

Granted, and those were just the first couple of images I grabbed off a GIS for "Greg Land traces". There are probably much better actual examples of him blatantly copying things. I think the ultimate problem with tracing (and the thing that I guess relates to the whole "how much referencing is too much referencing" discussion) is that it distracts from the comic you're reading. I mean, I know I'm managing to read and enjoy Mighty Avengers and Iron Man, two books that Land is doing art for, but there are plenty of people who have outright said that they cannot get over the art to read the books. And I can't blame them. poo poo like this:

this is from an old Uncanny X-Men but whatever you get my point

completely takes you out of the story, regardless of whether you recognize the source.

Notice that in the first panel, Land didn't bother to trace any faces so they're all hidden by shadow.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Choco1980 posted:

See, this sort of example is what always bugs me during the conversations about people, especially Land, copying pictures. It seems like every single time it comes up, the people that want to show examples start getting themselves so psyched up to be right that they start getting further and further from the truth. Yes, in that first example those are obviously Sean Connery and Adrian Paul, but the pictures are clearly nothing like what was used for the "models", and Connery's pic might have not even come from The Rock for the tracing. And then the second picture, yeah it's a Randy Orton style pose, so what? You're not telling me anything unless you can find that picture, like the thread had done earlier with the Miracleman cover. And the examples get less and less clear/accurate. I once saw a site trying to catalogue Horn's tracings that eventually started getting pictures that looked nothing alike outside of the theme, or what was being depicted, like them saying he must have stolen the idea of a vampire holding an unconscious woman in a graveyard from a different comic image of the same idea from like a decade prior, instead of like, from movies made 80 years prior, as the two pictures were in completely different poses/angles of the same iconic yet generic image. I'm not saying that tracers aren't there, nor that Greg Horn isn't the most prolific, but when you start trying too hard you start diminishing your own argument, and it seems like most people that set out to make that argument want to work that hard.

A similar thing often happens with people trying to show my how bad Rob Liefield's art is or something, and then they have to start pinpointing why this person's neck/back bending weird is bad and why when a different artist does it it's just comics. (Though Liefield totally can't draw feet. Ever.)

There have been tons of exact Land examples throughout the years.

Here's a gif from 4thletter back when knocking Land was popular.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Beanpants posted:

I wouldn't put JG Jones in the same box as Greg Land just because of that cover. If he uses that photo over and over again, and in a context where its a bad choice, and then also swipes from other artists, then you'd have a point.

That really depends on whether the photo he traced was used with permission or not. It's a pretty black and white legal and ethical problem if there wasn't any permission given.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Waterhaul posted:

There have been tons of exact Land examples throughout the years.

Here's a gif from 4thletter back when knocking Land was popular.

I wasn't saying he didn't or that there weren't. I'm saying that it seems like arguments on the subject start out with these obvious shots, then they start turning into ones where okay I guess if you squint you can see the trace, and then ultimately turn into cases where there's really no trace but maybe an obvious source material, and cases where the person citing things is just trying to jump on the bandwagon. And I was trying to say that by people trying too hard to be the tattler, they end up reducing the tattlee's crimes.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Choco1980 posted:

I wasn't saying he didn't or that there weren't. I'm saying that it seems like arguments on the subject start out with these obvious shots, then they start turning into ones where okay I guess if you squint you can see the trace, and then ultimately turn into cases where there's really no trace but maybe an obvious source material, and cases where the person citing things is just trying to jump on the bandwagon. And I was trying to say that by people trying too hard to be the tattler, they end up reducing the tattlee's crimes.

Ah I get you.

You're always going to have a sense of hyperbole when it comes to people talking about art though.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Flesh Forge posted:

That really depends on whether the photo he traced was used with permission or not. It's a pretty black and white legal and ethical problem if there wasn't any permission given.

I'm not saying it's a good cover, or that it's right for him to use a photo that he has no claim to, but it's the reality of the comics business these days if you're a certain style of artist. Some folk want their comics to look ultra detailed, realistic, and they want it on a monthly schedule, if not more. Sometimes with the realities of this business, being able to do it "the right way" falls outside of that Venn diagram of being detailed and being fast.

Folks are quick to jump on an artist when they find the reference they used, but you could spend all day doing that for every photorealistic artist on the stands. Now whether or not you accept their use of photos in their work as OK is up to you, but market pressure for that type of art in a timely manner means it isn't going away anytime soon.

For your JG Jones/Bryan Hitch/Butch Guises of the world, it's just how it is. I would still put them leagues above Land because their storytelling is on point.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
This is probably a naive thing to say, but the whole argument would be moot if artists focused on developing their own style instead of shooting for photo-realism. But maybe photo-realism is what the majority of readers want?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Shitshow posted:

This is probably a naive thing to say, but the whole argument would be moot if artists focused on developing their own style instead of shooting for photo-realism. But maybe photo-realism is what the majority of readers want?

It depends really, I like the photo realism on Artgerm's work but I'm fine with a more 'cartoony' feel like Rocafort's or Reis'. I just want my characters to look handsome and pretty (shallow, I know :v:)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Comic art can certainly be too photorealistic and art that is really closely based on photo reference can often end up looking static (partly because the models ares usually in static poses when they're photographed) and throw my suspension of disbelief right out the window. Every now and then someone will do a photo comic with actual photos arranged in comic panels and I've never seen one which wasn't awful.

Scott McCloud did a great bit in Understanding Comics on how heightened cartooniness/simplicity in a character makes it more approachable/universal.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Comic art can certainly be too photorealistic and art that is really closely based on photo reference can often end up looking static (partly because the models ares usually in static poses when they're photographed) and throw my suspension of disbelief right out the window. Every now and then someone will do a photo comic with actual photos arranged in comic panels and I've never seen one which wasn't awful.

Scott McCloud did a great bit in Understanding Comics on how heightened cartooniness/simplicity in a character makes it more approachable/universal.

Cartoon drawings or animation certainly don't strive to be unrealistic either necessarily. The whole idea of stretch-squash animation is not out of some desire to make every cartoon character Plastic Man but to mimic how our eyes perceive motion. Something "cartoony" can look and feel much more realistic.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Comic art can certainly be too photorealistic and art that is really closely based on photo reference can often end up looking static (partly because the models ares usually in static poses when they're photographed) and throw my suspension of disbelief right out the window.

I understand people gushing over Alex Ross' work, but his interiors have always bothered me for this reason. Also, I find his interiors very hard on my eyes: there is often no visual hierarchy established in the lines or colors, so all of the elements seem to be fighting for attention at once. I've not been back into comics for quite a year now, and his work was the first that I noticed this.

I can't remember who stated that the best artists achieve the most expression with the fewest lines - I'm not going to argue the merits of this one way or another - but it wasn't until I read Ross that I actually understood the statement. I realized then that I had been taking the work of Ba, Aja, Mignola, etc. for granted to some degree.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Shitshow posted:

I understand people gushing over Alex Ross' work, but his interiors have always bothered me for this reason. Also, I find his interiors very hard on my eyes: there is often no visual hierarchy established in the lines or colors, so all of the elements seem to be fighting for attention at once. I've not been back into comics for quite a year now, and his work was the first that I noticed this.

I can't remember who stated that the best artists achieve the most expression with the fewest lines - I'm not going to argue the merits of this one way or another - but it wasn't until I read Ross that I actually understood the statement. I realized then that I had been taking the work of Ba, Aja, Mignola, etc. for granted to some degree.

Ross works better as a "moment in time" artist, hence his cover work always being better than interiors. He's good at making great shots that are meant to be hung up on a wall or advertising something. However, comics aren't just covers. The second he has to do interiors, his "still life" style doesn't translate. When you add word balloons and have panels bleeding into each other to exhibit motion, his style looks terrible. For as amazing as it is, Kingdom Come looks like a bunch of paintings with word balloons.

There's a number of other artists that are similar in that they're much better cover artists than interior artists simply because they're much better at painting a moment than drawing a scene.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Every now and then someone will do a photo comic with actual photos arranged in comic panels and I've never seen one which wasn't awful.

Oh my loving god yes I had blissfully forgotten that this was a thing that sometimes happens. Even straight lightboxing of photos in otherwise heavily artistic pages (Promethea and J.H. Williams III comes to mind) can draw me out of the page in a snap.

Shitshow posted:

But maybe photo-realism is what the majority of readers want?

I wouldn't say that readers want photo-realism but they want consistent human proportions and an accompanying level of costume/background. I know this because all too often I'll be reading a series and get disappointed when the "big" artist on the book is abruptly replaced for a rushed fill-in issue or arc that--while technically fine--is often made of loose lines, consistently odd physiques, and little background detail and it totally bums me out even though I know that comic art is really hard and that comic artists are under crazy deadlines and that the art I'm currently reading is more realistic an expectation than the "big name" artist that I got spoiled on.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

mind the walrus posted:

I wouldn't say that readers want photo-realism

I'd say it. In my experience, a lot of average readers get upset if the comic has stylized or "cartoony" art and would much prefer some ugly Greg Land poo poo to something more dynamic and interesting, because stylization is "gay".

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

When I was in my late teens over a decade ago (Gods I'm old) I was only interested in photo-realistic artists like Alex Ross or Michael Zulli, and thought less of artists that went in more creative directions. It took a combination of me taking a comic art class my first year of college, and Dave McKean actively lecturing the readers with his self-insert in Cages for me to start being able to appreciate other art styles.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I'd say it. In my experience, a lot of average readers get upset if the comic has stylized or "cartoony" art and would much prefer some ugly Greg Land poo poo to something more dynamic and interesting, because stylization is "gay".

Yeah I think you're right. I was doing that thing where I had faith in the average person to not be a dumbass again.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Haven't we had long arguments in this very thread where stylization was crapped on?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

Haven't we had long arguments in this very thread where stylization was crapped on?

They were about Ramos, that doesn't count.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ramos is a clear case of stylization gone bad anyway, because his work comes across as sloppy more than it does stylistic.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Choco1980 posted:

See, this sort of example is what always bugs me during the conversations about people, especially Land, copying pictures. It seems like every single time it comes up, the people that want to show examples start getting themselves so psyched up to be right that they start getting further and further from the truth. Yes, in that first example those are obviously Sean Connery and Adrian Paul, but the pictures are clearly nothing like what was used for the "models", and Connery's pic might have not even come from The Rock for the tracing. And then the second picture, yeah it's a Randy Orton style pose, so what? You're not telling me anything unless you can find that picture, like the thread had done earlier with the Miracleman cover.

Let us know when you find the original for that picture.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Flesh Forge posted:

If you'll just hold on I have thousands of images with red lines through them to show you that these comic characters would have different proportions in real life.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jedit posted:

The top one, the original, wasn't all that great to begin with, I really feel the bottom version was a nice reinterpretation.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!
Fallen Rib
I always felt like guys like Aparro, Nowlan, and even Adams found a good balance between realistic and cartoony. Their people looked like people, proportioned and all, but you were still aware that you were reading a comic which magical crazy things happen like it's normal.
Personally my issue with photorealistic art is that it just seems bland. I prefer artists with their own style. Not to say I don't like things to look real and proportioned and whatnot but when you are tracing someone else's work/picture there isn't any kind of uniqueness that makes it stand out. I would prefer something like Capullo, Albuquerque, Andrews, or anyone else who leans more to exagerated/cartoonish style just because it is more fun to look at.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Jedit posted:

google search blonde girl masturbating p*ssy hot xxx porn
Results: 600 000 000 000

Found it.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Man, why is it always wrestlers or porn? Is it the spandex? They need someone wearing form-fitting stuff or nothing at all?

Or is it, perhaps, deeper than that.

Seduction of the innocent is no joke. Every comic ever made contained a traced pornographic image somewhere in its pages. The talented artists hide it away in crowd-scenes, or parts of the background... The hacks just make it a main character. But the day a comic is made which breaks this law, an unspeakable evil will be released.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I've been thinning out my comic collection and thought you'd might like this:

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Images like this really drives how just how dire the 90's were for comics. It's crazier to think that $1.95 is on the lower end of the spectrum of what they were charging for this dreck at the time.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Ghostpilot posted:

Images like this really drives how just how dire the 90's were for comics. It's crazier to think that $1.95 is on the lower end of the spectrum of what they were charging for this dreck at the time.

Wolverine has some seriously hosed up anatomy. How would that even work?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Ow, my brain. I'm not even sure what they were trying for there.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I want to say he was trying ti play up with the perspective/depth by making Venom's arm and Wolverine's claws be closer to the reader but he hosed it up in every possible way.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I'm pretending that Wolverine is supposed to be like that, and Venom twisted his spine completely around the other way above the waist. He's Wolverine, he'll get better. Doesn't explain why what I assume is supposed to be his elbow is nowhere near the middle of his arm though...

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Choco1980 posted:

I'm pretending that Wolverine is supposed to be like that, and Venom twisted his spine completely around the other way above the waist. He's Wolverine, he'll get better. Doesn't explain why what I assume is supposed to be his elbow is nowhere near the middle of his arm though...

Reminds me of a Superman cover where he had like five elbows. Can't remember the artist or title though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think that issue is part of what Gavok aptly named the "Wolverine vs Venom: Holy poo poo This Is Extremely Awful trilogy".

Bloody Holly
May 29, 2007

the George Washington of breadfucking

Mister Kingdom posted:

I've been thinning out my comic collection and thought you'd might like this:

maybe they were trying for a Sam Keith thing

or maybe one of wolverine's lesser known powers is to get one big popeye arm whenever venom is nearby

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
From the Joker's Daughter oneshot:

:psypop:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Remember kids DC is a mature place.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

So is that her face or the Jokers face or just a random dead persons face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

This will answer your question.