Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

luscious posted:

I've had numerous people tell me how great rabbit poop is for plants and compost. They said to just be careful because it can be SUCH good fertalizer that it might raise the temperature of the soil.

Ah see, this is yet one of the other awesome things about rabbit poo, its considered a "cold" fertilizer that doesn't raise temperatures as it decomposes. However, you can still over-fertilize and mess up the soil chemistry.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Trabisnikof posted:

Ah see, this is yet one of the other awesome things about rabbit poo, its considered a "cold" fertilizer that doesn't raise temperatures as it decomposes. However, you can still over-fertilize and mess up the soil chemistry.

Was just about to post this, lol. We compost our rabbit and our chicken waste along with the left over hay and wood chips in their areas. I love it.

vvvvv THAT IS A HUGE BUNNY!! And hes going to get bigger right?

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 31, 2014

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

They grow up so fast!

(Laptop for scale)

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

No, that laptop wasn't there for scale. That's HER laptop now, you just haven't realized it yet.

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Do not put rocks in brain.
Oh, I realize it. She even switched the keyboard to Dvorak, and her sister promptly started chewing on the lid. With buns this size I'm second guessing my deep conviction that rabbits cannot chew through metal.

My response was to give them a pair of pants to eat. I give it a week until they are done.

Edit: and yeah, they're 7 months old. They will keep growing for another 5 months or so.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
She's really smart and wants to be more efficient. Dvorak is boss and I spent a long time trying to learn it (somewhat successfully but switching computers hosed dat up). If you were more efficient that wouldn't be a problem.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

luscious posted:

She's really smart and wants to be more efficient. Dvorak is boss and I spent a long time trying to learn it (somewhat successfully but switching computers hosed dat up). If you were more efficient that wouldn't be a problem.

That makes perfect sense, typing gets in the way of petting and feeding.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Back to bunny fertilizer, Ella loves nothing better then to poop in her citrus trees. Said trees now grow like weeds and would have amazing fruit if not for Ella eating most of the flowers off of them. Just mind if your bun is pooping in plants to occasionally do something about the bugs it might attract. White vinegar does the trick for me, as it only raises the soild acidity temporarily and the citrus likes it anyway.

\/\/Ha, yes. I think it's a case of "Big rabbit is upset SUBMIT to big rabbit to soothe/investigate weaknesses with which to engineer their downfall". They are social group living animals, and sensitive to moods in a way more solitary animals are not.\/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 1, 2014

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, is anybody else's furball really good at sensing moods? I had a really bad day today. Harriet, for once, is not being her usual self. She is actually sitting at my feet letting me cuddle the poo poo out of her today.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, is anybody else's furball really good at sensing moods? I had a really bad day today. Harriet, for once, is not being her usual self. She is actually sitting at my feet letting me cuddle the poo poo out of her today.

Cilantro does this, particularly when my wife's in a bad mood.

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Acnamino MR 100mg Capsules
We are currently having a predicament with our French lop, Rupert. He stopped eating and we took him to the vet who gave him a check up, kept him in and drew blood to check glucose. He was fine, started eating at the vets, we brought him back. Then the next day he was eating but refused his pellets and would not eat hay - he would only take soft herbs and grass. My housemate thought it must be his teeth so took him back to the vet and insisted they put him under.

They found that right at the back of his mouth his teeth were damaged, did surgery, he was eating again, and we brought him home again.

He was eating fine at first, but now he is refusing again. And he has started shaking/breathing heavily and is holding his head strangely. :( My housemate has taken him back to the vet again. Poor Rupert. I'm really not sure what is wrong.

Edit: I got a phone call like two minutes after posting this.

We lost him.

RIP Rupie.

Operation Juicebox fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 1, 2014

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Condolences. Goddamn it. :(

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
I'm so sorry for your loss. Again, if you want to send me a PM telling me all about your fluffball and vent or w/e please do. I lost both of mine last year and am absolutely willing to listen if you need someone :(

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
drat I sorry. He was a cute little guy.

Grrr-Krishnakk
Jul 17, 2005

PUPPIES!

Houseplant posted:

Alright PI brothers and sisters. My wife and I were out for a walk in our apartment complex tonight and we came across a rabbit who was clearly not wild.

Glad to know that we aren't the only ones that found a loose rabbit after Christmas. We (and our dogs) were away last week, but our neighbour mentioned he'd seen a rabbit in our yard once or twice. We didn't think much of it until my wife spotted this little bugger hopping down our driveway - luckily, our two meat-head dogs were inside at the time. He seems tame, but still wasn't too happy about getting caught. lovely phone pic.

Seems like a fairly young rabbit - he's tiny, and he'd weigh less than 1kg (2.2lbs). I'm also just assuming it's a he, as I don't want to get too close yet while he gets his bearings. On his first night he barely passed any waste at all, so I don't think he was eating particularly well - or he was just terrified. After a bunch of grass and some lettuce he's starting passing a lot more waste.

We've checked our immediate neighbours, posted flyers and checked with the local shelter, but since he was apparently homeless for at least a week - and so young, this close after Christmas - we don't have high hopes of finding his owners.

We're open to the idea of keeping him - we'd like a house rabbit at some stage, but weren't intending to get one for a few years. We have a four-month-old child, along with the aforementioned dogs - a Boxer and a Boxer/Dane cross. With a kid that'll be crawling soon, and two much larger dogs that spend a bit of time inside, would it be better for this little dude to go to the shelter for re-homing?

JULIAN ASSANGE
Dec 6, 2012

Julian Assange FACT:
If you unzipped my pants, you would only find more pants.
Where do you live? There are lots of rabbit rescue organizations around that help people rehome their bunnies. If you Google 'rabbit rescue' + your location you'll probably turn something up.

Don't know a ton about kids and rabbits except that I had a rabbit when I was a kid and I was horrible to him so I wouldn't recommend it. Kids don't have the empathy to understand when to stop.

JULIAN ASSANGE fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 3, 2014

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Ugh. Chompsky won't eat hay, she won't eat veggies, she won't eat anything rabbits are supposed to like. I look over from my desk and see her up on one of my end tables near a plant. I'm fine with that. It's green, she won't eat it.

Oh, look, she's eating the dead leaves... Ugh.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

monsieur fatso posted:

Ugh. Chompsky won't eat hay, she won't eat veggies, she won't eat anything rabbits are supposed to like. I look over from my desk and see her up on one of my end tables near a plant. I'm fine with that. It's green, she won't eat it.

Oh, look, she's eating the dead leaves... Ugh.

Thats about right. My idiots would eat all the dead leaves they could get when we would let them out in a run outside.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

A lot of rabbits lost and rabbits loose recently :(

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Thats about right. My idiots would eat all the dead leaves they could get when we would let them out in a run outside.

Our buns also enjoy the pleasurable crunch of leaves they shouldn't eat. However, they are also greedy enough to eat anything if they see their sister sniffing it.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I grabbed Pepper to trim her nails and she peed on me. Twice. Rabbits are the most fun and everyone should get one.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Sometimes when Chompsky is laying down like a loaf, and it looks like she's resting, she makes a whimpering noise, kind of like a dog when it's begging or something. Has anyone else had any experience with something like this? It's only when she's laying down, and usually only when she's laying down for a while. I would say it's when she's sleeping, but her eyes are usually open (at least when she does it when I'm not trying to sleep. At night I can't tell if her eyes are open or not, but she does it sometime while I'm trying to go to bed)

Do rabbits sleep with their eyes open sometimes? Should I be concerned with the whimpering noise? She doesn't seem to be in pain. Sometimes it's also accompanied by what sounds to be some heavy breathing. Almost like snoring or something.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Flat bunny is flat. :3:

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

monsieur fatso posted:

Sometimes when Chompsky is laying down like a loaf, and it looks like she's resting, she makes a whimpering noise, kind of like a dog when it's begging or something. Has anyone else had any experience with something like this? It's only when she's laying down, and usually only when she's laying down for a while. I would say it's when she's sleeping, but her eyes are usually open (at least when she does it when I'm not trying to sleep. At night I can't tell if her eyes are open or not, but she does it sometime while I'm trying to go to bed)

Do rabbits sleep with their eyes open sometimes? Should I be concerned with the whimpering noise? She doesn't seem to be in pain. Sometimes it's also accompanied by what sounds to be some heavy breathing. Almost like snoring or something.

That is the happy nap song. Chompsky is having such a good nap that she's singing to you about it.

I'm pretty sure that bunnies sleep with their eyes open unless they're really really asleep. I was told that you can tell when a bunny is asleep by if their nose isn't moving. (I have written that sentence three times and can't get it grammatically correct.)

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

monsieur fatso posted:

She's asleep or she awake, they can rest with their eyes open and she is honking this a happy sound. Tubbs used to do it all the time when we would pet her. Just honk honk honk.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

monsieur fatso posted:

Whimpering is happy noise. Whimpering in to honk is very happy noise.

Honk-whimper-honk is the sign for the other bunny to go for your Achilles' tendon while you're distracted.

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010
I thought honking was the rabbit mating call. Before dear little George was neutered, he'd do this elaborate mating dance where he'd hop in circles around the object of his affection while honking. He would chase me around the house when I wore fuzzy slippers, honking all the way.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Nah, honking is just a very general "i'm happy", even if it's "i'm happy that in a couple of seconds i'm totally going to violate your fuzzy slippers"

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Yeah, man, my mate's first rabbit did nothing but honk, circle me, and try to bang empty plastic cider bottles. He'd just hump the things across the room. There's a video on youtube somewhere, I swear.

I miss my bunny, she still can't come to my new house cos it needs work doing. I just got a fresh towel out of my cupboard and found it was all shredded and thought of her. Mum gives me updates pretty much every day. The other day she was detailing how she'd made an elaborate dinner for Juppo out of all sorts of veg the way a chef at a restaurant would make a fancy salad and that she just tossed it everywhere, honked, and ate it off the various parts of the floor it landed on.

Juppo :3:

And sorry to hear so many of you have lost buns recently. Is no good :(

sirnollem
Apr 12, 2008
Power outage question.
The power has been out here for about 15 hours and it is getting cold in the house. How cold is too cold for the bunny? The house normally stays at 68 all the time in the winter but the low outside is in the 20s. We are currently at 59 in the house and wondering when it becomes too cold for him. He is still hoping around, eating and using the litter box like normal. When should I start to worry and find someone to take him in?

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Rabbit, do NOT make me think you're in GI stasis and rush you to the after hours vet so she can tell me that you are basically the healthiest rabbit she has ever seen. You wicked beast.

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

sirnollem posted:

Power outage question.
The power has been out here for about 15 hours and it is getting cold in the house. How cold is too cold for the bunny? The house normally stays at 68 all the time in the winter but the low outside is in the 20s. We are currently at 59 in the house and wondering when it becomes too cold for him. He is still hoping around, eating and using the litter box like normal. When should I start to worry and find someone to take him in?

Outing myself, though you've probably figured this out...due to a variety of complications, our buns are outside temporarily. I was super worried about them when it started getting cold (30s overnight) and was in the process of getting them inside...but despite blankets, extra hay, and other warmth, they were both just completely bunny flopped in the coldest part of their space and have continued to behave that way. So, anecdotally, I think a cold house is fine -- I'm much more worried about heat with ours.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
My wife was feeding Cilantro a tiny bit of banana as a treat and Cilantro chinned her thumb after licking it clean, as if saying "There's some banana left on that and I'm saving it for later."

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Harriet has been ignoring me (mostly unless it's food time) all week. Tonight, I realized I have an essay due tommorow afternoon, and like every college student, I am writing it at the last second. So of course, she decides to bug me. Run up, headbutt foot. Run up, bunny flop onto foot. Scale the back of the couch and eat my hair. Climb on the side of the couch and rub her face on my arm. Finally, because I am convinced she is part cat, jump on my laptop keyboard. I wonder if my prof will mind getting a paragraph of jhionkboimokjbinkjbijnbjihboj in the middle of this essay analysing the Gimli Glider?

sirnollem
Apr 12, 2008

boberteatskitten posted:

Outing myself, though you've probably figured this out...due to a variety of complications, our buns are outside temporarily. I was super worried about them when it started getting cold (30s overnight) and was in the process of getting them inside...but despite blankets, extra hay, and other warmth, they were both just completely bunny flopped in the coldest part of their space and have continued to behave that way. So, anecdotally, I think a cold house is fine -- I'm much more worried about heat with ours.

Thanks, we decided to move him into our bedroom for tonight since it is warmer than the living room and will the morning "sun"

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

sirnollem posted:

Thanks, we decided to move him into our bedroom for tonight since it is warmer than the living room and will the morning "sun"

I've had it get down to 58 in our house when the heat was out (mid-20s outside) and Cilantro acted like she didn't know any better. I believe I read somewhere that most domesticated buns will easily tolerate 50 F to 80 F.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

bunnyofdoom posted:

Finally, because I am convinced she is part cat, jump on my laptop keyboard. I wonder if my prof will mind getting a paragraph of jhionkboimokjbinkjbijnbjihboj in the middle of this essay analysing the Gimli Glider?

Ella loves to type, she's gotten quite adept at inputting weird commands that makes windows do weird things, like zoom in and bring up the sports page in icelandic. She's quite accomplished, that bun of mine.

As for the cold, just make sure there's windproofing. They tolerate straight-up cold pretty well, but wind seems to go right through that lovely soft fur of theirs. Advice taken from an old timey rabbit grandma, except she kept hers for eating.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 6, 2014

grack
Jan 10, 2012

sirnollem posted:

Enjoy waking up with a bunny about an inch from your face making little funny squeaking and humming noises.

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

grack posted:

Enjoy waking up with a bunny about an inch from your face making little funny squeaking and humming noises.

Omg this. I brought the Flems in for rain a couple nights ago and it was full on Bun-orchestra. In exchange, I got a video of them tooth purring. HA!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

grack posted:

HA! We would let our rabbits run around our bed occasionally when we wanted to hang out with them. I fell asleep once reading and woke up a few hours later and realized I had left Tubbs on the bed. I opened my eyes and she was 2 inches from my head with one eye half open looking at me and honking softly. Didn't crap or pee anywhere, hadn't even really moved since I had fallen asleep except to get closer to me.

I miss my buns :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013
Simba's taken a liking to eating our pants and shoelaces. While we're wearing them. And only then.