Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

guppy posted:

I have never figured this out. I spend a staggering amount of time teaching people to use the basic tools required to do their jobs. I have no idea how some of them get hired.

CBT Nuggets! This is what it saved me from. The videos are amazing for Excel poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Loose Ifer posted:

A Resignation Came In Today....

Just chiming in to offer you another pat on the back. There's always a breaking point, and I'd say a panic attack over an unjustified reprimand is way past it. Good for you for not putting up with the bullshit; quitting can be just as difficult and stressful a choice to make as having a confrontation with the boss so don't think for a moment you handled it wrong.

Tell me, when you decided to quit, did you feel instantly better, even before you actually handed it in officially? Because after I made my own decision to pull that particular trigger, it took me about a millisecond for my mood to just completely turn around. I was still in the office with the same rear end in a top hat boss but all of a sudden I was happy.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

guppy posted:

I have never figured this out. I spend a staggering amount of time teaching people to use the basic tools required to do their jobs. I have no idea how some of them get hired.

Also the more advanced tools required to do their job which are frequently tools I've never used and don't understand. What the gently caress.

"How do I do my job?"
"gently caress if I know but if I tell you that you will just whine to the IT director who will tell me to figure something out so I guess I'm learning you job and teaching it to you today."

Glad I'm about escape anything involving end user support.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's a lovely loving IT director. My boss, who is also the IT director, tells people often - we can support setting up AutoCAD but don't ask us how to use it. That's not our job.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Che Delilas posted:

Just chiming in to offer you another pat on the back. There's always a breaking point, and I'd say a panic attack over an unjustified reprimand is way past it. Good for you for not putting up with the bullshit; quitting can be just as difficult and stressful a choice to make as having a confrontation with the boss so don't think for a moment you handled it wrong.

Tell me, when you decided to quit, did you feel instantly better, even before you actually handed it in officially? Because after I made my own decision to pull that particular trigger, it took me about a millisecond for my mood to just completely turn around. I was still in the office with the same rear end in a top hat boss but all of a sudden I was happy.

My breaking point was when I had pretty bad gas, and thought "Oh good, I hope it's another kidney stone so I have to go to the hospital and don't need to go into work today." The self-realization of what I just thought prompted me to immediately start looking for a new job.

KweezNArt
Jul 30, 2007
Jesus, I should have left my previous employer earlier (and probably my current one now).

For me it was "Maybe I'll get hit by another car on the way into work and end up in the hospital. That'd be a nice break."

I worked for that employer for another full year after reaching that point.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Che Delilas posted:

I was unhappy in my previous job and had a decent interview with a new place. While waiting to hear from the company I had some not exactly stress related health issues and ended up in the hospital. I accepted the offer while in a hospital bed and came back to work to give my notice and took my remaining time off to get me to 2 weeks. Never went back. It is weird to say, but I am glad I was in the hospital, because it put things in perspective a bit. If I had been healthy I would have waffled over leaving. The people were good, the pay was ok, etc, but lying in a hospital bed thinking about needing to make changes to your life is a great time to get a job offer.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
I'm actually required by my job to teach various grey haired technically illilerate men how to use their computers, their phones, their ipads, their special usb video controllers, etc. It's sort of frustrating but I find if I'm patient and helpful and make sure they understand what I'm doing, and get them to repeat it, the process goes a lot smoother. I used to be brusque and resentful and basically did everything for them quickly without teaching them anything, but I found that only led to more trivial requests to assist with some basic task and a more adversarial relationship between myself and my users down the line. If you're not actually required to do this by your job, and it's keeping you from performing other duties, by all means blow it off as hard as you can, but make sure you're not alienating your users too much or actually not fulfilling some part of your contract first. You will probably have a better work environment if you help people out when you can, and actually attempt to teach them, than if you just go "that's not my job" and walk away. Even if there's it's obvious they don't have the skills required for their job.

arnbiguous fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Feb 6, 2014

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
If I had the choice between being in a room with a monkey with a loaded gun with the safety off and being in a room with a user with a PST file, I would take the monkey every time. At least there is a slight chance you'll make it out alive.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

I just gotten my first "This is affecting production" :3:

In an internet shop admin creates an order for a user - he can search through products and put them into the cart. Some of the products have options, some don't, however, when a product does have options, the system needs to check if the given product exists with given stock attributes - if a check is happening, it will display a popup saying to wait a sec. Well I was asked to remove this check, as it takes too much time (ajax request, which runs in 1s) (btw, option boxes are on one side of the page, add to cart button on the other, so the check should finish before the user moves the mouse, idk)

:toot:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I got a "this is preventing deliverables from being sent to the client." That's our version of production.

It was my fault. I missed a thing.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
so an unfortunate ticket came in.

its a habit by some people at the office to put a shock site background on an unlocked computer. Looks like someone Goatse'd a clients computer by accident and it wasn’t noticed and brought to the clients site.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

That's a pretty terrible habit. Geez.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

GreenNight posted:

That's a pretty terrible habit. Geez.

trust me, I know. I used to leave my computer unlocked to go grab a coffee when I worked there and saw many things sane people weren't meant to see.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is that your fault as well?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
To chime in on the Excel hate, it is 2014 and Excel still can't open two worksheets with the same name. Want to quickly open a copy from the archive to compare to the current version side by side? Screw you, gotta check it out and rename it first!

Wibla posted:

In other news, a termination came in... With an offer to sign back on as a 'project employee' with a time-limited contract. Not even sure about the legalities of that in the communist paradise that is Norway...

This is illegal in the UK. Since the UK is Europe's equivalent of the USA in terms of worker's rights, I would be amazed if it's legal in Norway.

Logic goes as follows: in order to kick someone out they have to have done something wrong (in which case you fire them) or they have to be surplus to requirements (in which case you make them redundant and have to pay them redundancy). If you didn't do anything wrong (i.e. they're not firing you for a disciplinary reason) then that would be illegal in the UK, as by attempting to hire you straight back again they've just proved that you're not surplus to requirements.

I know this because my brother's manager's manager tried to do this to him (they wanted to stop having to pay him salary and hire him back as hourly) until his direct manager said "hell no" and took it to HR, who correctly identified that there would be an enormous incoming employment tribunal settlement if they proceeded.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Further to the above, you can't make a person redundant - you make the position redundant. The end result is the same but it's a very important detail.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Caged posted:

Further to the above, you can't make a person redundant - you make the position redundant. The end result is the same but it's a very important detail.

Back in 2008 we laid off a bunch of people "redundant positions". Two years later they rehired all those positions and gave it to recently graduated kids for half the pay.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Caged posted:

Is that your fault as well?

As if you actually have to ask this question.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

KweezNArt posted:

Jesus, I should have left my previous employer earlier (and probably my current one now).

For me it was "Maybe I'll get hit by another car on the way into work and end up in the hospital. That'd be a nice break."

I worked for that employer for another full year after reaching that point.

I sometimes regret getting a flu shot, simply so I could have time where I'm not here.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
A server migration came in.

Network moved everyone's mailboxes to a new exchange server, yay!

They also reduced the quota to 100MB from 250MB...without informing either us or the users. Cue lots of tickets about this from email packrats who lack pst files.

I guess I can understand. There's like 7000 accounts in the domain but probably only half actually are on the exchange server. That's like 500GB and it's probably expensive to keep that all backed up.

But still, this ain't Hotmail. You also do still have to make it up in the file server anyway.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

100 meg?! drat!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

How I wish our backup volumes were only 500GB..

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

GreenNight posted:

100 meg?! drat!

That's luxurious. Our users get 50. :colbert:

So apparently Apple decided to stop all flash traffic for anyone who doesn't have the very latest Flash Player update. I love that nobody in my department seems to give a poo poo about that at all, so we just wait for users to call in freaking out, rather than being proactive about anything at all. Thankfully, MY babies (anything deployed in the last 6 months) are all connected to MunkiTools, and I can get them updated silently. Everything else, however, is currently hosed.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

skooma512 posted:

That's like 500GB and it's probably expensive to keep that all backed up.

Not really. Couple hundred bucks for a 2TB drive so you can keep a rolling backlog of 3-5 full backups plus associated incremental backups.

It can get more expensive if you get into big NAS devices or cloud storage, sure, but in the end, what's more expensive to the company?

Losing important email data, or
Some storage

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
Not spending money on storage is more important, until they lose important email.

And then it's blacksword's fault.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Not spending money on storage is more important, until they lose important email.

And then
it's blacksword's fault.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Every day (and I mean that quite literally) I encounter someone who skimped on their backups and got burned for it. Every day.

I understand it happens, and I understand small shops who just don't know better, but for the life of me I cannot understand the unlogic that results in deliberately not performing backups.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Millions of years of evolution where the cause for something bad happening was always within the last 5 minutes has left our brains completely unable to judge long term risks properly :science:

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

New thread title: Re: A ticket came in... its blackswordca's fault.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why would a ticket need to come in? You should have been more proactive. I'm afraid this is all your fault.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

blackswordca posted:

New thread title: Its blackswordca's fault a ticket came in...

ftfy

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I had a marketing manager (why is it always marketing?) a bunch of years ago who suggested that me and my coworker should come in on the Sunday of every week and "be proactive and make sure that no problems occur during the next week.".

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
We'd like to proactively bar the doors and fire everyone then.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

blackswordca posted:

New thread title: Re: A ticket came in... its blackswordca's fault.

Mods, please do the needful.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

stubblyhead posted:

Mods, please do the needful.

It hasn't been changed yet, this is all blackswordca's fault.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTION!

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Collateral Damage posted:

How I wish our backup volumes were only 500GB..

I'm currently migrating the media backup to a new near-line Xen Storage. 322 LTO-6 tapes in total :coal:

..now I just need a new backup-suite for our ~160 TB regular file and server backups.. Hopefully we can do that online so I won't have to mess with Symantec or HP.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

A call came in. A user was setting his screen resolution so low that the Acrobat Reader print dialog wouldn't fit on the screen, because "the text is too small" otherwise. He couldn't click print because the print button was off the screen, so he wanted to know if I could disable the dialog so it would "just print right away". I don't get the thought process behind deciding being unable to read the screen at a decent resolution is a computer problem rather than an eyeball one. Do these people call up book and newspaper publishers to complan that their print is too small?

In his defense though the print in our lovely database is pretty small, and it's an Oracle app so of course it completly ignores Windows' font settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Use Windows Magnifier?

• Locked thread