Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
That's actually the first part of my planned modding section. It's just, uh, I'm really busy at the moment. :ohdear:

Anyways I don't think the moustache on the Turn A will have safety nubs, but if it does the process isn't that hard. Use your cutters to take off as much as you can, then sand it smooth. It doesn't have to be perfect, you just have to take those thick bits off.

EDIT: Now that I have HG V2, I actually have something I can build for the guide. But aaaaah no free time. :negative:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
If you've got experience with files, those can be used to rough the final shape in, too.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

S-Alpha posted:

I'm actually really curious to see how this'll look. If it looks good, I may at some point on the future put a silver backing on my Banshee's green frame so it pops a bit more amongst the black plastic.
I'm going to second this motion, not so much with regards to the Unicorn mold (though I am curious) but since I planned something like that for MG Gundam X when I get mine.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

muike posted:

If you've got experience with files, those can be used to rough the final shape in, too.

I did this for the safety nub on the Fenice's V-fin, worked like a charm.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The Caletvwlch Sword is apparently getting a Build Fighters incarnation as a customizable accessory. Between the detachable parts and the replacement head fin piece, anyone else reminded of Advent Children?

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com.au/2013/12/hobby-japan-may-exclusive-gundam-build.html

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Online exclusive SUMO. Get hyped.
http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2014/02/p-bandai-online-hobby-shop-exclusive_4.html
EDIT: False alarm, it looks like it's the NG ones, not an addition to HGCC. Damnation.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

TARDISman posted:

Online exclusive SUMO. Get hyped.
http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2014/02/p-bandai-online-hobby-shop-exclusive_4.html
EDIT: False alarm, it looks like it's the NG ones, not an addition to HGCC. Damnation.

If MG Turn X wasn't a thing then you'd think Bandai hated Turn A. gently caress wasting my money on the P-Bandai moonlight butterfly wings - China will have those copied and blown up to MG size in two months tops.

Edit: \/\/\/ - at least they will be appropriately priced, and will still look better than anything I could hope to scratch build.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 5, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The Chinese bootleg effect parts always look worse though.

TaurusOxford posted:

Edit: \/\/\/ - at least they will be appropriately priced, and will still look better than anything I could hope to scratch build.

They almost never throw in bonuses like special ABs or waterslides, are almost universally lower quality, and have much worse QC. Sorry dude, but Bandai's stuff is usually appropriately priced too. It's just that you live outside of Japan and have to pay shipping + markup.

Bootlegs tend to have a bunch of first print bonuses that will screw you over just like Bandai's web exclusives too.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 5, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Has anyone ever had troubles cancelling orders from Robot4Less before?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

TARDISman posted:

Has anyone ever had troubles cancelling orders from Robot4Less before?

I went straight to a paypal dispute with them. I don't know where I read it (another site likely) but they are a real poo poo-show operation. I think I started checking around because I had an issue with them and I didn't know if it was just me or not.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

R4L's name is a giant lie anyways so I'm honestly not sure why anybody buys from them. The best explanation somebody could give me was that they were better for single purchases compared to Hobbywave, but now that Amazon has really kicked it into high gear there's not much point to dealing with them directly.

Model Grade is way better anyways. :colbert: i am a shameless shill

EDIT: You know I said that offhand because my club is partnered with them, but holy poo poo they really are. Compare the MG 00S/G on Model Grade and R4L. There's an almost $20 difference. :psyduck:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 5, 2014

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

R4L's name is a giant lie anyways so I'm honestly not sure why anybody buys from them. The best explanation somebody could give me was that they were better for single purchases compared to Hobbywave, but now that Amazon has really kicked it into high gear there's not much point to dealing with them directly.

Model Grade is way better anyways. :colbert: i am a shameless shill

EDIT: You know I said that offhand because my club is partnered with them, but holy poo poo they really are. Compare the MG 00S/G on Model Grade and R4L. There's an almost $20 difference. :psyduck:

I also like Model Grade.... ALOT. They were at SacAnime and while other booths were gouging they weren't. I'm thinking of moving to Sacramento and when/if I do I'm going to take advantage of their free local deliveries.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
R4L used to be good. They had a pretty constant 20% off coupon that stacked and great customer service. Now they have neither and a completely different staff. Place is crap now.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

One thing I hate about living in MN, the nearest hobby shop for me got the hell out of Gunpla right around 00's release so outside of going to downtown my only options for local shops are conventions, which gouge the hell out of prices. 80 bucks for MG Infinite Justice is a goddamn crime.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
That's around average for my hobby shop :v: Nu is $120, PG 00 Raiser was $350 something, FA Unicorn was selling for $150... I didn't even look when there was a titanium coat Banshee in stock. Their HGs are usually okay priced though, but I much prefer building MGs to HGs.

Even paying for shipping to here it's generally cheaper for me to buy online, especially with 1999s / HLJs constant discount on gunpla.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

My local Hobbytown hasn't had anymore stock than 5 SEED HG's for the last 2 months. It's not even main suits, just stuff like the Calamity.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I don't even have a local hobby shop. :colbert:
This is currently an issue because I seem to have misplaced all my panel line markers, and to a lesser extent, my airbrush.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I have a hobby shop that has like 4-5 gunpla in stock at any given point. Usually a piss poor selection, and with a rather unnerving penchant for Exias, but I'd rather go there than go the the anime shop that we have in town and then have to take a shower when I get back.

They both gouge to poo poo though. 110 bucks for a Sinanju Stein. :cripes:

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

S-Alpha posted:

I have a hobby shop that has like 4-5 gunpla in stock at any given point. Usually a piss poor selection, and with a rather unnerving penchant for Exias, but I'd rather go there than go the the anime shop that we have in town and then have to take a shower when I get back.

Yeah I love supporting my local Hobbytown, but they are the same way. The only good deal we ever got was the MG RX-78 3.0 when it first released for 50.00 plus tax.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

S-Alpha posted:

I've got four local stores that stock Gunpla to various degrees :smuggo:. The only problem I have is that the big hobby store seems to be favouring AGE kits over SEED and 00 ones at the moment, and they don't have any Build Fighters stuff at all.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
If they have a G-Xiphos you should totally grab it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

muike posted:

If they have a G-Xiphos you should totally grab it

I only buy a couple kits a year due to storage space, and for the moment the only current-release ones I'm after are a Kampfer Amazing and an Overflag or Graham's Custom FLAG (they're pretty much the same kit and I like the massive fuckoff rifle over the standard one, so it's just a case of whichever I find first). After that it's a wait for the Exia RG in April, as well as the inevitable HGCE Buster and HGAC HeavyArms.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

S-Alpha posted:

Ha. You think that's bad? Try this. No one in my small city carries gunpla. One time the local comic book store got a couple of kits in. Guess how much he wanted for an mg sinanju stein?

$175

He said his prices were "fair."

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Man, I don't think I've really seen anything over 7000 yen in Japan.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

MG The O. :v:

Not having to deal with shipping and mark ups makes everything look ridiculously cheap in Japan. Like, the blue MG FA Gundam that's coming out? 5400 yen in Japan. America? GG Infinite's asking for $80.

Incidentally, MG FA Gundam is 5000 yen in Japan. So no ludicrous Bandai markup or anything.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
GSAM has the HCM-Pro Triple Dom "Jet Stream Attack" set on sale this week for a substantial discount, if anyone's interested in that sort of thing.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I think the most I over paid for a kit at Hobbytown was around 120 for my MG Full Armor Unicorn, when it was available on Amazon for like 90 shipped. Outside of that, there was a local convention selling the MG Sandrock for 80, which I turned down. Besides that price gouging isn't too terrible here except on older video games.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I paid one hundred forty US dollars for my MG Sazabi. In 1999.

I'd have had little fondness for that kit regardless, but the exorbitant price of entry didn't help matters.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
I'm currently looking around HobbySearch's tool section for a pair of nippers to go with the Sazabi I'll be ordering from them, and their selection is... Nothing if not impressive. Are there any particular recommendations for nippers, concerning brand, shape and so on?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Seconding that. I have a pair of Citadel sprue cutters and it's like using a pair of garden shears instead of a pair of scissors. So many messy denubs and damaged parts. :negative:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bloody Pom posted:

Seconding that. I have a pair of Citadel sprue cutters and it's like using a pair of garden shears instead of a pair of scissors. So many messy denubs and damaged parts. :negative:
I upgraded from the citadel safety scissors too

GOD HAND

be careful, it might be too sharp

Can be bought in left-handed and the website has some ridiculous spiel about katana metal being used in the cutting edges.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Feb 6, 2014

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

On the note of ridiculous pricing my sazabi ver ka cost about £100 (about $160) after shipping and customs charges.

Edit: sazabi not saxabi.

Greblin
Mar 12, 2008

I've just gotten an idea for my next mod. :eurovision:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The big advantage of the God Hand nippers that I can see is the thin blades - most hobby nippers seem to have really thick, wedge-shaped blades and tend to put a lot of stress on the sprues when they're being cut, which can result in marred or broken parts. I wasn't that impressed with the quality of the cuts in the video, though. Good, but not great or anything.

The Micro-Mark Despruing Tweezer is still my favorite cutting tool, hands down. I recently bought another and I can confirm that they do wear out, sadly, but 20 bux a year is a small price to pay for the single best tool in my arsenal.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Terry van Feleday posted:

Are there any particular recommendations for nippers, concerning brand, shape and so on?

God Hand is supposedly the best quality money can buy, but it's pricey. Xuron 170s make a good budget option, but are somewhat oversized in my experience. Xuron 410s are supposed to be better but I've never tried them. Tamiya's stuff is, as is generally the case with all modeling goods, pretty good.

Personally I've been using a pair of MGM diagonal cutters for like twenty kits now and I've had no issues. It's gotten a little duller and can't make as sharp a cut as it did when I first got it, but I just use a hobby knife to supplement it.

EDIT: Really though, unless you are using straight up scissors or some wire cutters, the nippers you use really shouldn't affect your end result much. You still have to sand away the nub after all.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 6, 2014

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Fauxtool posted:

I upgraded from the citadel safety scissors too

GOD HAND

be careful, it might be too sharp

Can be bought in left-handed and the website has some ridiculous spiel about katana metal being used in the cutting edges.

I've been looking at getting one of these before I get my Phenex, and it's backordered everywhere. :negative: Hopefully HLJ/1999 will get some in soon.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I've used a pair of cheap nippers that I got from radioshack for like 8 dollars for 4-5 years now.

Still work fine, and I can't understand people shelling out more then 20 bucks for these things.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The better your cutters are, the less time you have to spend sanding. Though honestly if you spent $20 on your nippers they're probably pretty drat good.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

I spent 10 bucks on mine, and they are pretty loving sharp, didn't have to do a lot of sanding on the Fenice when i was building that. Then again, these are nipper for cutting model train tracks so they might be a bit sharper than they should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Did anyone actually receive their MG Gundam X from that Amazon Prime offer from a while back? Almost four weeks in here and still no revised shipping date.

• Locked thread