Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
I wonder how Nemi feels about stealth chess.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

To me, the "making fun of Donald Trump's hair" set of strips were hilarious. These are great.

And Trump was one of the few public figures ever seen full-face in the strip. Trudeau probably figured the guy was a walking cartoon anyway.

Peanuts, in which the neighborhood boys present their standard bearer. (February 9, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

Les secretly wonders if he'll get a sequel if Cayla chokes to death on an old maid.

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Isn't it a little early in the week for the happy ending?

Pogo (February 9, 1956)

Out Our Way (May 23-24, 1924)

Could a 1924-era guy covered in body art get back his job at the ice cream factory? Or would it even matter if he was in long sleeves?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

The Creeps gives you something else to look up.

There's only 5!

e: I think it's a bonus joke.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Tiggum posted:

"Brown bread" obviously means something different here to the definition I'm used to, which is just wholemeal bread. Is this an American thing, or a 100 years ago thing or what? And what does "brown bread" actually refer to here? Rye bread? Does "white bread" mean any wheat bread, whether it's made of wholemeal or white flour?

This was during World War I. Woodrow Wilson was the US President, but he appointed Herbert Hoover as head of the Food Administration. To ensure that the troops had sufficient rations, Hoover introduced Meatless Mondays and Wheatless Wednesdays. People were expected to abstain from wheat on Wednesdays, and you made your bread from barley or oats or rice or rye. People mostly didn't like them because they're stronger flavored and they don't rise or stick together like wheat dough, so the bread is dense and crumbly.

I still have my great-grandma's recipes for those. The barley and oat bread isn't bad, but the others, eww.

Not to go too much into historical derails, but Jingo True must've loved The Sedition Act of 1918.. It basically made it illegal to criticize the war effort or the government. Yeah. Not one of our better moments, but a lot of excuses for True to thump people.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

TofuDiva posted:

I still have my great-grandma's recipes for those. The barley and oat bread isn't bad, but the others, eww.

gently caress you, freshly baked rye bread is the most delicious thing. Only the crust should be slightly crumbly and even that gets more solid after it cools down some. It is significantly denser than that white fluffy thing that you americanos call bread though. Healthier too.

Of course, it could be your recipe is just straight up hosed. After a quick look through, this seems more or less right.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Laputanmachine posted:

gently caress you, freshly baked rye bread is the most delicious thing. Only the crust should be slightly crumbly and even that gets more solid after it cools down some. It is significantly denser than that white fluffy thing that you americanos call bread though. Healthier too.

Of course, it could be your recipe is just straight up hosed. After a quick look through, this seems more or less right.

Uh, my Gigi's receipt is from 1918? And it's 100% rye flour, wild yeast and water, like most everybody's back then, cuz she was immigrant-working class poor? Most good rye bread is half rye flour and half wheat, including the one you linked. That wouldn't have worked for Mr. Hoover.

I'll agree that good rye bread is the best thing on the planet though, and I'd thump even Everett True if he said different.

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

EasyEW posted:

Rip Haywire

Isn't it a little early in the week for the happy ending?

Cobra's just off-panel, and she's still got that rifle.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mike du Jour is simultaneously less and far more idiotic than I expected.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Yeah, it's stupid, but it's also a lot less rage inducing than I was expecting.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Nemi

I don't know if mixing Tolkien with Chess is a good idea, Nemi. :3:

So who is this kid Nemi is always hanging out with? Her nephew or something? A protege in the gothy way?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

My Lovely Horse posted:

Some of those recipes are very slightly on the semi-homemade side of things. Like this one:

What gets me about it is that you start off by doing some stuff that's gonna turn out pretty decent all on its own and then it goes straight to DUMP IN TWO CANS OF SOUP. Congratulations you didn't so much "cook" as "heat up some canned soup with other stuff."

Buuut others like the brussels sprouts one are perfectly fine, will probably turn out really good and are pretty easy so on the whole, me and this strip, we cool.
Dude, campbell's cream of celery is not food, it's an ingredient. It's nigh-flavourless gunk on its own, but it's a quick way to get a cream base for an actual soup. You may as well rage at it for saying 'bacon' and not including instructions for rearing and slaughtering pigs.

The point of the strip is to provide simple recipes that anybody at home can make themselves. You start telling people how to make a roux and you're going to wind up with something I wouldn't feed to Stupid Dog Comix.

Pooch Café

Ballard Street

Let's give a big hand to guest writer Charles Boyce!

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ham Shears January 27th 2014

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

That accidentally worked.

Fok_It

"A Karelian pie" was there right after "a wet sock", but it didn't really fit in with the English text. Figuratively and literally.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Everett True
April 1 & 2, 1918

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

I guess one single business in this stupid universe figured out that consumer culture and legalized brutal murder actually are mutually exclusive. And the 'good guy' lion is annoyed that he can't rip people's throats out. That's the joke. Ha haaaa :unsmigghh:

BTW... it's too bad Caribou Coffee is gone.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Ema Nymton posted:

I guess one single business in this stupid universe figured out that consumer culture and legalized brutal murder actually are mutually exclusive. And the 'good guy' lion is annoyed that he can't rip people's throats out. That's the joke. Ha haaaa :unsmigghh:

BTW... it's too bad Caribou Coffee is gone.

It's not gone--maybe reduced. I'm from Minneapolis, and we still have lots of them around there. There's some out here in Milwaukee too.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Mark Trail

Quincy

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I didn't know Jim's Journal was that old. I watched it as a kid and liked it. Any show that employs Mark Hamill is all right with me. There's a new one coming to the CW, a spin-off of Arrow. Arrow is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me, so I'm looking forward to it.

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007

Third Murderer posted:

Yeah, it's stupid, but it's also a lot less rage inducing than I was expecting.

I never thought I'd say this, but thank god for Mike du Jour's penchant for crappy wordplay.

The Sezza fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 6, 2014

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pakled posted:

Everett True
April 1 , 1918

Wow, that's an unexpected opinion from Ole Ev'

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

There are Caribou Coffee shops around Washington, D.C. too.

There is no way that this Ham Shears bit is anything but a dog on Mary Worth after Santa Mesa was revealed as the town name.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Sergio Aragones Funnies (Mad #205, March 1979)

Don Martin Dept. (Mad #62, April 1961)

Thorn (February 20-22, 1984)

Lucky Cow (April 25, 2004)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Volume posted:

Ham Shears January 27th 2014

I've always wanted a Mary Worth/Funky Winkerbean mashup!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Laputanmachine posted:

gently caress you, freshly baked rye bread is the most delicious thing.

Came to post this.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Today's BC and C&H come from February 14th & 16th, 1987.

Bloom County

No valentines for Stevie D. :smith:

Lola's got a little bit of a cruel streak in her humor.

Calvin And Hobbes

No valentine activity here, either!

Cheap Thrills Cuisine

Crumb the comic has nothing to do with the comix of R. Crumb. It is, however, from New Zealand.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life

Tunicate posted:

Wow, that's an unexpected opinion from Ole Ev'

Well you wouldn't expect him to read "blood and thunder literature" either. (Does anyone have that one? It's one of my favorites).

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Crumb

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mister Beeg posted:

What is this "KABOOM" bullshit? No *THRANKT* or *KA-BRUMPKA* or even a *FLOON* sound? I'm disappointed in you, Don Martin.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

cletepurcel posted:

Well you wouldn't expect him to read "blood and thunder literature" either. (Does anyone have that one? It's one of my favorites).

Right here.

July 21, 1916

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I think we have all established Everett True can do whatever he drat well pleases.

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011
Except at home.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Johnny Walker posted:

Is this a weed joke? Is Arlo and Janis either about sex or weed?
Sadly, I think the previous strip had the old guy talking about selling the restaurant, and he's shushing the younger guy as he walks past, so it's just a joke about how this woman's livelihood is in danger but she can't know about it for some dumb reason. :(

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

What the gently caress? Stop ghost-cartooning for people, Boyce!

Bitchtits McGee posted:

Except at home.

Exactly. This was sitting in my misc_pictures folder:

I have no idea who did it, but I loving love it!

BlankIsBeautiful fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 6, 2014

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Darthemed posted:

Today's BC and C&H come from February 14th & 16th, 1987.

Bloom County

No valentines for Stevie D. :smith:

Record still attached after 27 years.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Mister Kingdom posted:

Record still attached after 27 years.

Thanks to YouTube, you don't have to detach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odUt-lDH85k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNKCPk1tl9Q

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Mister Beeg posted:

Holy poo poo, is Branco trying to ape the Don Martin style?

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Laputanmachine posted:

gently caress you, freshly baked rye bread is the most delicious thing.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Came to post this.

Great, told to gently caress off by two people who didn't read or understand the effing original post.

Last I'm going to say about it: the brown bread that the guy in the Everett True panel doesn't want isn't the luscious stuff you love. The rye bread in my great gran's 1918 Hoovered recipe isn't the luscious stuff you love, and she didn't love it either - it wasn't how she or anybody else would choose to make it if the government hadn't gotten in the way. That's the drat point. On Wheatless Wednesdays, the brown bread that people could have if they were "patriotic" didn't contain any of the ingredients that make the bread taste good.

The guy doesn't want the bad bread. True smacks him for it because he's a jingoistic tool.

At this point in 1918, Everett True is no longer Everyman. He's a straight-up political mouthpiece, and not only that, he's propagandizing the direct edicts of the Wilson administration in the most vulgar way possible. Sorry, but it's "True." If Somethingawful were back then we'd all be bitching that Everett True belonged in the political cartoons thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

TofuDiva posted:

Uh, my Gigi's receipt is from 1918? And it's 100% rye flour, wild yeast and water, like most everybody's back then, cuz she was immigrant-working class poor? Most good rye bread is half rye flour and half wheat, including the one you linked. That wouldn't have worked for Mr. Hoover.

To expand on this: people were discouraged from using wheat flour entirely for Wheatless Wednesdays. Instead, they were encouraged to use rice, rye, barley, oat, corn, and potato flours. Check out Mary Elizabeth's War Time Recipes to see what TofuDiva is talking about. Not a single recipe contains wheat flour, which as a baker, I can tell you: it's not going to be very good. At the very least, the texture of 100% rye or rice flour bread is going to be very unpleasant--dense, crumbly, flat. Even the ones that mix flours aren't going to be as good as a recipe with a little bit of wheat flour. Hence the guy complaining that he doesn't want "brown bread."

Wheat flour has more gluten than any other flour, gluten being the protein that gives baked goods their structure. Breads made without wheat flour (specifically, non-whole wheat flour) will be flat, dense, crumbly, etc. They will also take longer to ferment, and be harder to digest--something no one would be eager to eat. Modern bread recipes contain at least some wheat flour; most breads made in factories and bakeries also contain extra wheat gluten, especially rye bread. I work in a grocery store bakery, and I've worked in a couple small artisan bakeries: they all use wheat gluten as well as wheat flour. The stuff we eat now is far, far removed from what people were making/eating during WWI for Wheatless Wednesday.

Speaking of Everett True, my new favorite webcomic, Octopus Pie, made this little one-off that I love immensely:

Okay, and now a comic. Rhymes With Orange

• Locked thread