Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

No time for that, the forum needs me!

I think I owe bronzestabbed an update about downs-syndrome horsies or something, though. :(

You're goddamn right you do. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T.Worth
Aug 31, 2012

by XyloJW
^^Yay Leperflesh

Bad Munki posted:

No time for that, the forum needs me!

I think I owe bronzestabbed an update about downs-syndrome horsies or something, though. :(

After all your carry on you god drat right you do.

T.Worth fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 4, 2014

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

GreenNight posted:

This deserves to be shown here.

Ahh Comcast.

A while back when I was staying vurrent with The Consumerist, there was a whole stream of "cable installer accidentally setting the house on fire" articles because dude would just drill through *anything* - gas line, power line, I think one guy hit the electric meter...

All different events, with different companies/installers/locations. :smith:

And cableco usually responded with "ehn..."

ntd
Apr 17, 2001

Give me a sandwich!

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

A while back when I was staying vurrent with The Consumerist, there was a whole stream of "cable installer accidentally setting the house on fire" articles because dude would just drill through *anything* - gas line, power line, I think one guy hit the electric meter...

All different events, with different companies/installers/locations. :smith:

And cableco usually responded with "ehn..."

I suppose there is a good reason they make you sign a release :v:.

I can only imagine some of the disasters caused by DirecTV installers, especially from the era when their DVRs required dual coax lines from the dish...

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
This thread is great, read through most of it in a week.

My coworker did a similar thing were he drilled through drywall into a cast iron roof drain pipe then installed a molly bolt in the hole. It took us two rainstorms to figure out what was going on. The odd thing is that we had a set of plans so we could avoid the plumbing and elec in the walls. Somehow the roof drains were not on there.

I am currently living in this literal part straw house my landlords built. It is super awesome but has a bunch of hilarious flaws that I will snap pics of an post tomorrow.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
gently caress, a guy in my fraternity house did that trying to get cable TV in his room. He drilled through the paneling and managed to drill into a 1/2" copper water pipe in the wall. Imagine the angle that you would need to hit a 1/2" water pipe at with a 1/2" drill bit and not deflect off of it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ntd posted:

I suppose there is a good reason they make you sign a release :v:.

I can only imagine some of the disasters caused by DirecTV installers, especially from the era when their DVRs required dual coax lines from the dish...

Do they not, anymore? Mind did when it was installed 4 years ago. Fortunately my installer was competent: he ran it down a weather-protected wall, into the crawl space, and then up through the floor in the office, and he left me a big coil of extra cabling in the crawl space in case I want to move the access point to a different room of the house.

kid sinister posted:

gently caress, a guy in my fraternity house did that trying to get cable TV in his room. He drilled through the paneling and managed to drill into a 1/2" copper water pipe in the wall. Imagine the angle that you would need to hit a 1/2" water pipe at with a 1/2" drill bit and not deflect off of it.

A friend of mine was installing shelves into a closet in his mobile home and he drilled right into a power line. I think the (cordless) drill absorbed a lot of the shock, so he was zapped but not enough to really hurt himself.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Do they not, anymore? Mind did when it was installed 4 years ago. Fortunately my installer was competent: he ran it down a weather-protected wall, into the crawl space, and then up through the floor in the office, and he left me a big coil of extra cabling in the crawl space in case I want to move the access point to a different room of the house.

But negligence is never covered by any waiver. How hard is it to drill through the outside wall and shine a light into the hole?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

kid sinister posted:

The Google Fiber installation guy drilled right through the water supply line for my parents' kitchen sink and started flipping out because there was water pouring out of the wall and he didn't know what to do. My dad had to turn off water to the whole house.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

But I digress, as I'm only talking about the counters right now. Picture a standard kitchen sink. Now picture a dish drying rack next to it. Now add a 2nd dish dring rack on the other side. That's the extent of my counter space. Literally enough space for 2 dish drying racks on either side of the sink, with all the cabinet space that that would entail. The rest comes from a table that we've put up in the kitchen. No, it's not the dinner table. We use it for storage and for cutting and prepping food.

My kitchen here in Japan only had enough room for one dish drying rack, unless you were putting the other one on top of the sole electric burner*. I added a 2x2 Traby from IKEA to the other side of it (it's also the main hallway to get into my apartment, now a lot narrower) so I could stop setting dishes with food on them on the floor when I was prepping.

The apartment is pretty small in general and I had to add a bunch of (crappy, friction-mount) shelving to counteract the prodigious wastes of space. I make enough money to afford a bigger place, but it's subsidized by my employer so my rent would literally quadruple to move up to anything bigger, so I'll be here for the next six months until my contract ends. Actually had to pass on buying my friend's longboard (surfboard) a year and a half ago because there was literally no way to fit it in the apartment without blocking either my balcony or closet doors. :sigh:

*Not even the worst of it. Some of my co-workers literally do not have any kind of counter in the kitchen at all unless they put something across the (small) sink.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I am so confused by all these people drilling through pipes. Do they not stop when they meet resistance? Drilling through drywall is slightly more difficult than drilling through jello. If you hit something hard...... stop? Plaster makes slightly more sense, but still..

forestboy
Aug 30, 2005
Yeah, they're generally being stupid, and not thinking much about what you're doing. I mean, any wall is going to have at least 3.5 inches of mostly empty space before you hit the other wall. If you feel any other resistance just inside the wall, clearly there's something wrong with where you're drilling.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

forestboy posted:

Yeah, they're generally being stupid, and not thinking much about what you're doing. I mean, any wall is going to have at least 3.5 inches of mostly empty space before you hit the other wall. If you feel any other resistance just inside the wall, clearly there's something wrong with where you're drilling.

Cable Installation 101: Drill Harder.

forestboy
Aug 30, 2005
I do know one guy though, who was unlucky enough to drill into a water pipe buried in a poured concrete exterior wall. A wall which gave no indications, interior or exterior, of containing any such pipe. Twenty years on, people still give him hell for it.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

c0ldfuse posted:

This isn't a crappy construction tale but I figured it'd be the best thread to ask the question.

Was at a local amusement park and at a brand new ride (built within last 2-years) inside the coaster-car entrance/exit area I noticed the rafters trusses were made with multiple 2xX's instead of solid beams and I couldn't think of a good reason why this would be done outside of possibly cost savings.

Enlighten me?

I know nobody actually answered your question. I have built several glu-lam beams and benefits include a larger board size that can be used to create curved beams. The ones in your picture look more like they are clamped together other than properly glue laminated. You are not losing any strength if it is glue laminated and put together properly.

joats fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Feb 5, 2014

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

That is beautiful.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

There was a segment about those beams on How It's Made if anyone wants to see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK_v01nqWTc

VV Absolutely VV

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 5, 2014

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The best show.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
There are some nice pictures over in the Funny Pictures thread showing peoples' first impressions of the accommodations in Sochi.

Like this.
Or this.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Zopotantor posted:

There are some nice pictures over in the Funny Pictures thread showing peoples' first impressions of the accommodations in Sochi.

Like this.
Or this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS-26XG9GXA#t=10

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I heard about the Sochi situation on the radio today. Apparently there's all sorts of combinations of fun things going on, like most of the rooms being unfinished in one way or another, such as no doors, beds, shelves, cable, light bulbs, internet, and/or heat, bathroom stalls with 2 toilets each in them, no hot water, guests being told they can't use the water on their face because there's "something" in it that will burn their skin, open manholes in the sidewalks, and/or the hotel reception desk being the hotel owners bedroom.

I'm thinking what probably happened was that the site was chosen, then a few shipping containers of vodka were airlifted in, followed by the workers, and then like 2 months ago, once all the vodka was finished, everyone got to work.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

neogeo0823 posted:

I heard about the Sochi situation on the radio today. Apparently there's all sorts of combinations of fun things going on, like most of the rooms being unfinished in one way or another, such as no doors, beds, shelves, cable, light bulbs, internet, and/or heat, bathroom stalls with 2 toilets each in them, no hot water, guests being told they can't use the water on their face because there's "something" in it that will burn their skin, open manholes in the sidewalks, and/or the hotel reception desk being the hotel owners bedroom.

I'm thinking what probably happened was that the site was chosen, then a few shipping containers of vodka were airlifted in, followed by the workers, and then like 2 months ago, once all the vodka was finished, everyone got to work.

Almost right.

"I'm thinking what probably happened was that the site was chosen, then a few shipping containers of vodka were airlifted in, followed by the workers, and then like 2 months ago, once all the vodka was finished, everyone got to work stopped working.

More stuff from Sochi. http://imgur.com/a/0muGY

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 5, 2014

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm in New York so I'm afraid I win this horrible competition. I really want an over-the-range microwave because between the sink and the stove, I have 14" of lateral counter space (one dish rack). That's it. That's also directly above the one drawer I have.
8.7".

Technically I have another 16" to the other side of the range but that's where the toaster and rice cooker are and have to be. The range has to double as storage area and workspace, with a cutting board on top. Cooking is pretty much a game of Sokoban.

Surprisingly, not the largest issue with the apartment by a long shot.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
So out of boredom I looked up the permits issued by my county for my home. While I discovered that the owners up until the early 80s are dead and buried, and another previous owner lives around the corner, I also found out that my relatively new addition had no associated permits issued: :ohdear:
That explains all the crappy shortcuts I have found. And now I cant look up the contractor to at least make sure I never hire them.

On the good side, my sewer line was replaced with cast iron in 1990 so at least the 1952 pipe is out.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

8.7".

Technically I have another 16" to the other side of the range but that's where the toaster and rice cooker are and have to be. The range has to double as storage area and workspace, with a cutting board on top. Cooking is pretty much a game of Sokoban.

Surprisingly, not the largest issue with the apartment by a long shot.

I lived in an awful apartment in a bad part of west Philadelphia and the kitchen was the smallest kitchen I had ever seen. The landlord converted a 3 story row home into three apartments and slapped a kitchen into this weird 4'x10' back room. He had a poo poo electric oven on the 5' wall with an old as gently caress modular unit next to it with a sink and 10" of stainless steel counter. It barely fit and had been painted like 30 times so you couldn't open most of the drawers. When I moved out the house was full of roaches because a cast iron pipe had burst and flooded the basement and he just left it like that for like 70 days

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mine is something like 5.9' by 6.8', about the same area.

What gets me is the actual floor plan, here incompetently rendered in Paint:

There's one window from the kitchen to the rest of the apartment in line with the window to the outside. That space is totally unused (and indeed not easily usable due to a lack of outlets). Why even have that wall when you could have made the kitchen literally twice as wide? For that matter, why have the kitchen enclosed at all, because the kitchen smells get everywhere anyway, except of course where the red X is they absolutely had to put the fusebox and a radiator.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Feb 6, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
My guess is that the kitchen wall with the window in it was originally an exterior wall, and is a weight bearing wall. Is there any suspicious cracking or indication of patching/rework along the ceiling continuing along where the wall would have been between "the not really great indoors" and the room that isn't well used? If so the somewhat useless area was probably an addition. If you could take some pics or even better, compare how the structure of the house in the basement under that area looks, we can probably answer more definitively.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

joats posted:

I know nobody actually answered your question. I have built several glu-lam beams and benefits include a larger board size that can be used to create curved beams. The ones in your picture look more like they are clamped together other than properly glue laminated. You are not losing any strength if it is glue laminated and put together properly.

First of all that ice arena photo is amazing.

Second, you didn't directly answer but I'm surmising from your text "a glu-lam beam has all integrity of a larger beam at lower cost."

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's a cultural/generational thing but there was a time when the idea of the "open kitchen" was a totally gross and unthinkable concept, so even tiny tiny apartments need the kitchen sealed off and out of view. That's been one of the greatest design and cultural changes lately, the idea that the kitchen is basically part of the main room and cooking and food are an extremely social activity. I mean what party doesn't always gravitate to the kitchen?

But it absolutely is a generational thing. When I used to design apartments and things we'd do them all open and spacious for the normal market, but the seniors market would always be tons of tiny claustrophobic rooms. You can't just have a big open kitchen/dining/living area. No you need a sealed off kitchen with doors that can hide the shame of its existence. You need a dining room, and you need a living room. Old people love that poo poo.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

c0ldfuse posted:

Second, you didn't directly answer but I'm surmising from your text "a glu-lam beam has all integrity of a larger beam at lower cost."

If they use the right glue. This is what happens when the glue is not water vapor resistant.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The thing is, the apartment was finished in 2012. And the apartments in another part of the complex all have open kitchens (with counter space :argh:). In fact, they have open everything except the bathroom. They're little square maisonettes where the ceiling is too low to stand up on half the upper floor area.

There's also no basement, and I don't think that's a load-bearing wall unless Grover built this house. I think this used to be a warehouse and the interior was partitioned into apartments; more or less haphazardly, the way one of the construction workers told me, these were originally supposed to be wheelchair-accessible, but someone hosed up the interior planning big time so they quickly reconfigured things into somewhat regular apartments.

Which in a roundabout way leads to this beauty.

Big old cutout in the exterior wall that I think was supposed to be the entrance door for this entire part of the house and is now filled in with some sort of plastic slab thing. That would make the unused area between kitchen and exterior window the intended hallway, and the neighbor's kitchen does have a similar window into what is the hallway now.

kastein posted:

Is there any suspicious cracking or indication of patching/rework along the ceiling continuing along where the wall would have been between "the not really great indoors" and the room that isn't well used?
On the other hand, yes, there is in fact a massive beam running across the ceiling along that very line. May have been the spot where they meant to put the apartment door?

It looks just like an entrance from outside as well. There's a wire out there for an exterior light. The fuse for that is in my box.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 6, 2014

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
Looks like a terribly designed building. I have never heard of a widow that opened into the hallway can I see some pictures of that monstrosity. Might be wise than my friends apartment that had a single ionic column sitting in the dining room.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

My Lovely Horse posted:

On the other hand, yes, there is in fact a massive beam running across the ceiling along that very line. May have been the spot where they meant to put the apartment door?

It looks just like an entrance from outside as well. There's a wire out there for an exterior light. The fuse for that is in my box.

I'd bet a sixpack that you're looking at an addition, then. The bigass beam is holding up the weight bearing wall since there's now a big hole in it - at least they did it right, I've seen some lovely addition jobs where they literally just lopped off the studs and hoped for the best, so things sagged and went all lumpy.

So there's your answer as to why it's strangely shaped, it wasn't there in the original plans!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Baronjutter posted:

It's a cultural/generational thing but there was a time when the idea of the "open kitchen" was a totally gross and unthinkable concept, so even tiny tiny apartments need the kitchen sealed off and out of view. That's been one of the greatest design and cultural changes lately, the idea that the kitchen is basically part of the main room and cooking and food are an extremely social activity. I mean what party doesn't always gravitate to the kitchen?

On the other hand food prep isn't the most presentable uncluttered activity and it is somewhat nice not to have the entire process on display viewable from every square inch of living space. I don't like completely open kitchens but also dislike entirely closed ones. Having a middle ground with a large pass through window or bar seems ideal for me.

I did talk to a realtor once who claimed that the proliferation of open layouts was a byproduct of TV shows (both sitcoms and real estate shows) preferring them because they allowed ease of filming and realtors liking them for how quickly they can be shown. That may very well be bullshit though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Never trust anything a REALTOR(tm) says, ever.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Pretty much everything I'm hearing out of Sochi belongs in this thread.

Load bearing tarps, terrible plumbing, very shoddy masonry... soviet style construction.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

I did talk to a realtor once who claimed that the proliferation of open layouts was a byproduct of TV shows (both sitcoms and real estate shows) preferring them because they allowed ease of filming and realtors liking them for how quickly they can be shown. That may very well be bullshit though.

Two theories about open kitchens/floor plans I have heard.

1. With more parents becoming freaked out if they lose sight of their kid(s) for more than a couple seconds an open floor plan allows them to keep an eye on the kid(s).

2. Fewer walls means less money and labor used to build the house but the builder can charge the same.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I think it was just "someone realized that a bunch of tiny compartmentalized rooms was a hell of a lot less convenient than more open spaces, built a few houses like that, then everyone else wanted one."

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I think it was just "someone realized that a bunch of tiny compartmentalized rooms was a hell of a lot less convenient than more open spaces, built a few houses like that, then everyone else wanted one."

Also unlike older homes where you would shut off sections or rooms of your house in the winter to lower heating costs, modern homes don't specifically need to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Baronjutter posted:

Never trust anything a REALTOR(tm) says, ever.

Yeah, that's why I included the bullshit flag.