Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?

poopkitty posted:

I make bad rear end collards. I'm making them for our Soul Food potluck this month so that all of my coworkers can enjoy the magic.

Share your recipe so I can judge its authenticity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Grannypanties yay or nay

MY BF LESLIE SAID
Jun 9, 2006

by Lowtax
My sisters and I are the only black people in our family.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i made like a five-month buffer for my comic when i started and now all the pages currently being posted are super-old and they look awful and i'm afraid to show it to anyone and that is my comic-making story

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013
thats a good butt right there

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

I don't think that glove is wearing any pants

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
My husband set up his Wacom tablet! He is drawing things!

MY BF LESLIE SAID
Jun 9, 2006

by Lowtax

detectivemonkey posted:

tell him to draw me a girlfriend hahahahah :(

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

detectivemonkey posted:

:dickbutt:

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
i have an intuos collecting dust in my office closet

shameful

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
Well that ended quickly. No dickbutts. I'll request a :dongcloud: first.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Avshalom posted:

i made like a five-month buffer for my comic when i started and now all the pages currently being posted are super-old and they look awful and i'm afraid to show it to anyone and that is my comic-making story

How are his thighs so defined by his calves so small.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Fisticuffs posted:

Share your recipe so I can judge its authenticity.

Take some collards. A lot. Wash 'em. Tear out the thick stems. (Keep those though for stock and stuff.) Shred the greens into pieces. Set 'em aside. In a dutch oven, render some good bacon. Not that sliced crap, but a BIG hunk of cured bacon cut into like 1/2 inch pieces. (I don't really do recipes.) After the fat is all melty and the bits left are a little crispy, huck your greens in there. Mix em around and get 'em all coated in fat. Fat is tasty. (This non-recipe is not vegan.) Pour some stock in there (just a little) so you can deglaze the pan and get the yummy bits off the bottom. (Scrape these with a wooden spoon.) Then add some vinegar and a little cayenne. I add maple syrup for sweetness, but am unsure of the legitimacy of said syrup. I don't care, it tastes good. Mix it all up and put the lid on it. Cook on low for a long time until the greens are tender. Eat them.
I usually eat them with fried fish or chicken and hushpuppies. Mashers are good too, to soak up the juice.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

bathroom sounds posted:

How are his thighs so defined by his calves so small.

It's almost like he's wearing RCMP pants. But without pants.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

poopkitty posted:

Take some collards. A lot. Wash 'em. Tear out the thick stems. (Keep those though for stock and stuff.) Shred the greens into pieces. Set 'em aside. In a dutch oven, render some good bacon. Not that sliced crap, but a BIG hunk of cured bacon cut into like 1/2 inch pieces. (I don't really do recipes.) After the fat is all melty and the bits left are a little crispy, huck your greens in there. Mix em around and get 'em all coated in fat. Fat is tasty. (This non-recipe is not vegan.) Pour some stock in there (just a little) so you can deglaze the pan and get the yummy bits off the bottom. (Scrape these with a wooden spoon.) Then add some vinegar and a little cayenne. I add maple syrup for sweetness, but am unsure of the legitimacy of said syrup. I don't care, it tastes good. Mix it all up and put the lid on it. Cook on low for a long time until the greens are tender. Eat them.
I usually eat them with fried fish or chicken and hushpuppies. Mashers are good too, to soak up the juice.

Ok this passes the sniff test. If you wanted to change one thing to make it more "authentic" try molassess instead of maple syrup next time but whatever. Safeway does carry Salt Pork in large chunks.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

LingcodKilla posted:

Ok this passes the sniff test. If you wanted to change one thing to make it more "authentic" try molassess instead of maple syrup next time but whatever. Safeway does carry Salt Pork in large chunks.

To my knowledge, Japan does not. But I know where to get really good cured bacon. No idea if I can get molasses. But I'm origially from New England and spent a lot of time on my cousins sugar farm. Glad I pass the sniff test though. I love greens.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?

poopkitty posted:

Would eat. Would eat happily.

LingcodKilla posted:

My fam is from New Orleans and we aren't big on sweet so no syrup or molasses when we do ours but I have had them prepared with that in New Orleans when I've visited.

IMO if you want to make it more "authentic" use a hamhock instead of bacon. Parbroil it just like you do your bacon then throw it in a pot with your collards. Cook your collards. After your collards are done remove the fatty excess from the hamhock, shred the meat from the bone and leave that with your collards. That's how my Gma does it but your method is pretty close poopkitty.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Cat ball

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 7, 2014

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

I bought french bread and it immediately became rock solid the second I got home, so it is now being converted into bread pudding

also, enjoying the cat posts itt

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
My cat sits on top of a couch cushion and slowly settles in all night as I do homework. Eventually it mushes down enough that she's basically invisible.

:3:

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Fisticuffs posted:

Would eat. Would eat happily.

My fam is from New Orleans and we aren't big on sweet so no syrup or molasses when we do ours but I have had them prepared with that in New Orleans when I've visited.

IMO if you want to make it more "authentic" use a hamhock instead of bacon. Parbroil it just like you do your bacon then throw it in a pot with your collards. Cook your collards. After your collards are done remove the fatty excess from the hamhock, shred the meat from the bone and leave that with your collards. That's how my Gma does it but your method is pretty close poopkitty.

One time on the ship on southern food day we had some TERRIBLE greens. I tasted them first, and when Boats came in (a not-skinny old grizzled black guy from Georgia) I told him not to bother. He didn't listen. So he tasted them, and then got up, went tearing into the galley yelling for whomever made the greens.

It was a poor little scared black girl about 20 years old and he asked her if her momma would be proud. She said she didn't know her momma and then he asked if her granny would be proud. She didn't know her grannies either and Boats yelled "so who the hell taught you how to cook?" She just cried that her daddy raised her the best he knew how and then Boats cried and took her into the galley again for greens lessons and I went too, because I felt bad for her because Boats is a little scary. (And also I wanted to learn and I had nothing else to do.) She makes amazing food now and she and Boats have a great relationship and I let her borrow my phone to call her dad and tell him she learned how to cook greens and now I'm crying at my desk.

Demora
Aug 13, 2004

It wouldn't be the Enterprise without a Sulu at the helm

Fisticuffs posted:

How old is your dog? If its temperament suddenly changed I would take it in for a check-up. If it's a really young dog it may just be maturing but if it's a few years old a check-up wouldn't hurt.

She's young and it's normal. I just feel bad when I have to correct her because I secretly want her to continue to growl/speak because it's so goddamn cute.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

poopkitty posted:

One time on the ship on southern food day we had some TERRIBLE greens. I tasted them first, and when Boats came in (a not-skinny old grizzled black guy from Georgia) I told him not to bother. He didn't listen. So he tasted them, and then got up, went tearing into the galley yelling for whomever made the greens.

It was a poor little scared black girl about 20 years old and he asked her if her momma would be proud. She said she didn't know her momma and then he asked if her granny would be proud. She didn't know her grannies either and Boats yelled "so who the hell taught you how to cook?" She just cried that her daddy raised her the best he knew how and then Boats cried and took her into the galley again for greens lessons and I went too, because I felt bad for her because Boats is a little scary. (And also I wanted to learn and I had nothing else to do.) She makes amazing food now and she and Boats have a great relationship and I let her borrow my phone to call her dad and tell him she learned how to cook greens and now I'm crying at my desk.

NOW I'M CRYING THANKS

I want to like cooked greens more than I do, but without the ability to add bacon they're just greens with no fat and that is sad.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

detectivemonkey posted:

NOW I'M CRYING THANKS

I want to like cooked greens more than I do, but without the ability to add bacon they're just greens with no fat and that is sad.

That is sad. :( There has got to be a good recipe out there. Can you use coconut oil? I love kale in coco oil for breakfast. ( I went vegan for a few weeks for a diet and loved it but it wasn't a sustainable lifestyle for me.)

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

detectivemonkey posted:

NOW I'M CRYING THANKS

Olive oil, thinly sliced onions, crushed red pepper, and plenty of garlic are delicious with greens. Mushrooms make a great addition if you need something meat-ish. Top with salt, cracked pepper and maybe a little parmesan

I have sauteed greens for dinner like three nights a week

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Sonrisa posted:

She's young and it's normal. I just feel bad when I have to correct her because I secretly want her to continue to growl/speak because it's so goddamn cute.

What kind of dog.

I am going to rescue all of the Sochi dogs, also that dog that was captured by the Taliban possibly

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

Olive oil, thinly sliced onions, crushed red pepper, and plenty of garlic are delicious with greens. Mushrooms make a great addition if you need something meat-ish. Top with salt, cracked pepper and maybe a little parmesan

I have sauteed greens for dinner like three nights a week

I will try this! Traditionally I have eschewed onions but I am slowly getting to be ok with them. I just have to make them super cooked and never ever raw or crunchy.

Demora
Aug 13, 2004

UnnaturalSELECTION posted:

What kind of dog.

I am going to rescue all of the Sochi dogs, also that dog that was captured by the Taliban possibly

Some kind of scruffy terrier mix. She's just dumb looking but in a horribly cute way. Almost looks like a homeless dog or something.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Portals posted:

I bought french bread and it immediately became rock solid the second I got home, so it is now being converted into bread pudding

also, enjoying the cat posts itt

you could also wrap it in a damp paper towel and microwave it in a safe dish for ten seconds

pudding is good though

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 7, 2014

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

detectivemonkey posted:

I will try this! Traditionally I have eschewed onions but I am slowly getting to be ok with them. I just have to make them super cooked and never ever raw or crunchy.

Cook the onions first, only add the other stuff once they're really tender. They get slightly sweet that way, and it goes really well with the other flavors and adds nice texture

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

pixelbaron posted:

you could also wrap it in a damp paper towel and microwave it in a safe dish for ten seconds

Note: this will take away your perfectly valid excuse to make bread pudding. But is a good idea nonetheless.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Sonrisa posted:

Some kind of scruffy terrier mix. She's just dumb looking but in a horribly cute way. Almost looks like a homeless dog or something.

Post the pic

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

somnolent cat orb

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

And, OMG, it's 30 degrees here and the coach made us go out on the water at practice and it was freezing and wet 'cause I was sitting behind a novice who is so awful and splashy and I got so cold my legs turned bright pink, like a bad sunburn. So, I need advice from northerners who more frequently experience extreme temps: is this frostbite and am I dying?

Demora
Aug 13, 2004

I had just changed the sheets and duvet and made my bed all nice, then I turn around a find a hairy turd in the middle of it.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Goondog :3:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Sonrisa posted:

I had just changed the sheets and duvet and made my bed all nice, then I turn around a find a hairy turd in the middle of it.

wow your dog is so ugly he turned the corner back around to cute. looks like a drowned lamb.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Sonrisa posted:

:3:

I love scruffy little mutts so much

Demora
Aug 13, 2004

LingcodKilla posted:

wow your dog is so ugly he turned the corner back around to cute. looks like a drowned lamb.

Pretty much this. She's chillest of the chill though for being a hairy turd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Sonrisa posted:

She's so happy

Edit: I'm never gonna warm up, winter sucks

Tora! Tora! Tora! fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 7, 2014

• Locked thread