Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
My head hurts watching that. I just hope non of them end up with brain damage later in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

uncleKitchener posted:

My head hurts watching that. I just hope non of them end up with brain damage later in life.

Hold on, emailing Bolshoi a storyline pitch where Kana suffers a traumatic brain injury and becomes a calm, well-adjusted human being.

It'll be like a heel-to-even-bigger-heel turn.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
I really hope the 12/29 Stardom show is fast about getting shown too because it looks pretty good. Nanae/Meiko vs. Yoshiko/Kagetsu, Arisa vs. Io in a title vs. title match, and Yoneyama vs. Natsuki*Taiyo (I could watch those two have matches forever) should all be good.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I have never seen Paige Turner wrestle (I think she mostly works indie shows in Texas) but her pics keep showing up in my Facebook feed.

Oh wrestling librarian lady, where have you been all my life? She also does a thing where she'll set up a book fair instead of a merch table at shows. :3:

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 18, 2013

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Illinois Smith posted:

I have never seen Paige Turner wrestle (I think she mostly works indie shows in Texas) but her pics keep showing up in my Facebook feed.

Oh wrestling librarian lady, where have you been all my life? She also does a thing where she'll set up a book fair instead of a merch table at shows. :3:

As a librarian, I approve wholeheartedly.

CanadianJericholeaf
Jun 9, 2004

by Lowtax
If this move doesn't have a super punny name like "Hit the Books" or "The Bible Thump" she should quit.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
'Books Smart' or bust.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

I kind of hope GAMI's retirement show shows up soon. GAMI is GAMI but it's a 90+ minute, 70 person battle royal which means it's probably at least a semi-entertaining comedy match that also, apparently, includes a random-rear end appearances by MiSu and Jun Akiyama.

Also I know retirement shows are generally a big thing but I'm pretty impressed they managed to pull 1600 at Korakuen Hall for it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
MiSu in Joshi battle royals is awesome.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Hikaru Shida left Ice Ribbon to go freelance. Hopefully that means more matches in JWP and Stardom in addition to her regular stuff in the retirement home (OZ Academy).

I Love My Axe
Dec 30, 2009

Let's go Blue Pants!
And hopefully back to Shimmer. She was awesome.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Prazak said Shida had one of the best debut weekends ever for SHIMMER, so I assume she's coming back anytime her schedule allows.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Natsuki*Taiyo's retiring on 6/1. That loving sucks.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Santana Garrett signed with TNA. A reminder that TNA's money is better than women's wrestling on the indies money.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Suben posted:

Though I've only seen a few of her matches in Stardom, she seemed like the best on the roster.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Suben posted:

Well, she is almost 30 and she's been a pro for ten years, she had a great run.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Though I've only seen a few of her matches in Stardom, she seemed like the best on the roster.

Yeah it'd either be her, Nanae, Yoneyama (who's technically a freelancer but the only other promotions she's worked for are Union Pro and Gatoh Move), or probably Yoshiko. She was definitely my favorite on the roster though and was really fun to watch because of how ridiculously fast she is and how nice her dives and splashes are. Her and Yoneyama always had fun matches.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Gentlemen, I need better lady wrestlers in my life. Is there a good Kana match I can get into? I know about SHIMMER and such but missed the boat on the last ppv. :(

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Kana's match from October against Hanako Nakamori is pretty good.

Also watch '80s AJW.

Edit: Here's an account that has a lot of '80s stuff, mainly pre-Crush Gals, in excellent video quality.

Suben fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 4, 2014

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!
It dawns on me that over in PSP-TV, as part of my 2 hours of wrestling a week I've generally been including one joshi match each time for roughly a year or so by now. Since the matches stay up for a week, I may as well post them here. I always hesitated to do so because well, everyone posting in this thread probably already knows. But maybe there are people who lurk the thread that want to find some cool stuff. The links cease to work each Wednesday, but you should be able to find mirrored copies from just searching the date and participants.

Anyway, last week's pick was this:

90-11-14 - Bull Nakano vs Aja Kong, Kanaami No Referee Escape Rule Steel Cage Death Match

Now this is a cage match proper. One where there's blood and weapons and the cage exists to protect the audience from the carnage unfolding. For some reason, the copy I had of this as well as various other joshi bouts has two completely separate commentaries going on the left and right audio channels. Neither of them sounded like they were retrospective "we're looking back on this years later" commentary either, so I just silenced the other one. Anyone know what's up with that? I notice it more around the early 90s AJW vs JWP era, so perhaps the matches aired on both companies' shows and were called by their own announcers or something.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Irritated Goat posted:

Gentlemen, I need better lady wrestlers in my life. Is there a good Kana match I can get into? I know about SHIMMER and such but missed the boat on the last ppv. :(
If you're going for modern girls, you can check out some now-dated music videos of a bunch of different girls here that feature a lot of tag-teams and solo Joshi in action and it's a good way to get a feel for how they wrestle.

Here's one of my favorite Kana matches though:
Kana, Mio, and Io Shirai vs Serena Deeb, Makoto, Syuri

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Illinois Smith posted:

She also does a thing where she'll set up a book fair instead of a merch table at shows. :3:

That is really loving brilliant.

Ghidzilla
May 12, 2009
This is going to sound quite random, but what are folks opinions on Katarina Waters (Winter) and an up and comer that I hear a lot about called Allysin Kay? Has Winter/Waters had any significant matches besides a ladies' ladder match with Beth Phoenix that I've heard a lot about? And I've heard from a few people that Kay's a star on the rise in Shine. Is this the case?

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Ghidzilla posted:

This is going to sound quite random, but what are folks opinions on Katarina Waters (Winter) and an up and comer that I hear a lot about called Allysin Kay? Has Winter/Waters had any significant matches besides a ladies' ladder match with Beth Phoenix that I've heard a lot about? And I've heard from a few people that Kay's a star on the rise in Shine. Is this the case?

Allysin Kay is badass. She's really good and knows how to get the crowd involved. Here's a few of her matches:

Fans Bring the Weapons Match vs Mia Yim (AIW)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6DZby4ov70

Allysin Kay & Sassy Steph vs KOA (Aaron Epic/Sugar Dunkerton)(Beyond)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBrtlLG1Qdk

Allysin Kay vs Courtney Rush (CCW in front of a ton of kids)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4uJw7gslEQ

Here's some promos she's done too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8QKTRzc4co
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xis1gzlypAg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SafuW9wwrqE

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Ghidzilla posted:

Here's Katie Lea's best match from before she was in the WWE. It's in three annoying 9-minute parts, but it's a pretty great brawl. She ends up doing a New Jack style balcony dive towards the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opEPCaZpEBc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E_hyCS13F0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75X68JBv1KA

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Oh, that Winter- yeah, she's a good worker. Was glad to find out she's still in the business after leaving TNA.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
Watching that match, it's cool to see old indy guys like Alex Shane and Messiah. I can't remember, was The Messiah good? Or just a lightening rod for craziness? Like the whole Rob Black attempting to castrate him fiasco.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

God Of Paradise posted:

Watching that match, it's cool to see old indy guys like Alex Shane and Messiah. I can't remember, was The Messiah good? Or just a lightening rod for craziness? Like the whole Rob Black attempting to castrate him fiasco.

I watched a whole lot of CZW between 2003 and 2006 and I can testify that depending on his opponent, he varied between 'serviceable' and 'I wish they'd cut more parts off of him'.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
Anyone going to SHIMMER 62 in NOLA? Lodging in NOLA proper sucks a dick, but I've found some pretty reasonable places outside the city limits to the Northeast.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Cory Lidle posted:

Anyone going to SHIMMER 62 in NOLA? Lodging in NOLA proper sucks a dick, but I've found some pretty reasonable places outside the city limits to the Northeast.

I'm going to SHIMMER in Berwyn the week after.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Now Yuhi is retiring next month since she's graduating high school.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

Suben posted:

Now Yuhi is retiring next month since she's graduating high school.

You'd think she'd stick around or retire before then.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!
One week in and I already forgot to do what I said I was going to do. My joshi pick for last week was this:

95-03-26 - Lioness Asuka vs Yumiko Hotta, UFC Rules

I don't ACTUALLY know the circumstances or history behind this match, so I kind of just made it up based on what I thought sounded good. Maybe some of this is even true:

1995 would be about a decade removed from Asuka's heyday. She'd been forced into retirement from AJW at age 26, in 1989, but came back the year before. I don't remember exactly when AJW lifted the mandatory retirements, but it was right around this time. Perhaps that's why this is under pre-Dana White, pre-Zuffa "UFC rules" (interpreted to mean they wear gloves, have no rope breaks, and you have to answer a 10 count): a retired "wrestler" could still do a "UFC match"? It's definitely a worked match, but it's likely that it was marketed as legit at the time. This was on the eve of Gracie vs Shamrock, and between LLPW and UWFi there was a bunch of "worked-shoot" style wrestling going on. Hell, Sherdog even lists the results of some AJW shows on their site.

Regardless, the match is absolutely brutal, and if everyone's faces after the match is anything to go by they certainly weren't working much on those kicks, punches, and headbutts. I know the actual downfall of AJW was them losing TV, but I personally felt that after a point in the early 90s they just put the brakes on making new stars. This matchup is definitely a "star-making" bout for Hotta as a singles competitor, but I feel like she should have gotten something like this 5 years sooner. As it stands, when Asuka retired, she did so as heavyweight champion such that most of those renowned 5-star AJW classics of the early 90s were tag bouts or for the midcard belt. Nothing against Bull Nakano or Aja Kong, since those runs were what made them be remembered as monsters.

Daryl Surat fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 11, 2014

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010
What does Act Yasukawa do now? Last time I heard about her was that she wasn't a pirate any more or something.

Mayostard
Apr 21, 2007

In the Chamber of Understanding
NXT diva Sarah Backman got her ring name, Shara. :effort:

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
SHINE just announced MsChif & Christina Von Eerie as the last team in an 8 team tag tournament. That's cool and all, except MsChif's pregnant, so.....awkward.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006

DM Punk posted:

SHINE just announced MsChif & Christina Von Eerie as the last team in an 8 team tag tournament. That's cool and all, except MsChif's pregnant, so.....awkward.
Haha, nice! Some people on the Shine FB group are keeping very close tabs on who isn't being used so far and are still baffled by booking a pregnant woman. That's one way to get the gates up, I guess.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I have absolutely no idea if anyone is watching these outside of the PSP-TV channel, but this week's joshi pick is as follows:

95-09-03 - Manami Toyota vs Yumiko Hotta

I estimate the amount of times that Toyota gets kicked square in the face during this bout as somewhere in the 3 figures.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Io's defending the World of Stardom belt against Cheerleader Melissa at their Korakuen Hall show on 3/16, Madison Eagles will also be there though her match hasn't been announced yet. Natsuki*Taiyo's retirement match looks like it's going to be against Yoshiko which makes sense and should be a really good match.

I kind of wonder if this eventually leads to a Stardom/Shimmer working relationship down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
SHINE is live tonight on iPPV at 8pm/EST. They're doing a tag tournament for the new Tag Team Titles, Ivelisse is defending the singles title against Mercedes Martinez and Serena Deeb is wrestling Angeline Love for some reason. Look for the handlebar mustache in the front row, that'll be me.

• Locked thread