Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Even if it's not a dig at Land it's actually nice to see that change in Monica called out, since whether or not to relax hair is a legitimate issue in the black community.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m-4qxz08So

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000

mind the walrus posted:

Even if it's not a dig at Land it's actually nice to see that change in Monica called out, since whether or not to relax hair is a legitimate issue in the black community.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m-4qxz08So

Yeah, it's really cool to see a diverse team that deals with issues like natural/relaxed hair and representing their communities on the one hand, and beats up Shuma-Gorath on the other hand.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Still needs more sarcasm to be Monica, though.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000

MikeJF posted:

Still needs more sarcasm to be Monica, though.

Monica was never sarcastic back when she ran the Avengers.

For content and l'il Monica, from Nextwave 1:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I love how Nextwave is able to both state how important one of their teammates is while making fun of them simulataneously.

Nextwave # 4

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Chinston Wurchill posted:

What a great issue (that also probably works for the series as a whole).

And then he bit Shocker's face.

I swear to god that first panel is a reference to the first Spider-Man movie game.

Suben posted:

That's Boomerang's girlfriend and it was a dream sequence so he also started imagining her as Galactus for some some reason (dream logic).

Imagining your significant other as a enormous being who devours all life around them.

Probably no other level to that.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I swear to god that first panel is a reference to the first Spider-Man movie game.

Imagining your significant other as a enormous being who devours all life around them.

Probably no other level to that.

Sometimes a Galactus is just a Galactus.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

Sometimes a Galactus is just a Galactus.

Unless you're Adam Warren

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I like Monica Rambeu, and that relaxer joke was hilarious. Mighty Avengers is the best team, it was a novelty to have 2 black dudes on a super team, and then they added The Falcon. Actually since Spock left, are there any white people on the team at all?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

I like Monica Rambeu, and that relaxer joke was hilarious. Mighty Avengers is the best team, it was a novelty to have 2 black dudes on a super team, and then they added The Falcon. Actually since Spock left, are there any white people on the team at all?

Iron Fist... I think? He's not a listed member, but he was in the most recent issue and he and Luke are pretty much joined at the hip.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Gavok posted:

I'm a bunch of pages late on this, but while the rest of that issue is face-meltingly terrible, that Elvis/Galactus 7-page story is legitimately my all-time favorite comic story and that may be my favorite comic page ever. Though you're missing the amazing final panel of Uatu at Elvis' big return concert, wearing suspenders and flannel, claiming that for a few minutes he will be known as the Listener. All while Elvis' shadow is a dancing Galactus.
I didn't even notice the suspenders!

What if? Vol 1 #38 answers the important question of "what face would Captain America make when shot with an atomic recliner?"

He looks like he's becoming one with the speed force.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's avatar material right there Ghostlight.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

I didn't even notice the suspenders!

What if? Vol 1 #38 answers the important question of "what face would Captain America make when shot with an atomic recliner?"

He looks like he's becoming one with the speed force.

Now I know where the inspiration came from those Captain America poser comic things. Terrifying.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dammit I want an armchair of death!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Yvonmukluk posted:

Dammit I want an armchair of death!

How about a rocket armchair of life instead?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Action Tortoise posted:

I love how Nextwave is able to both state how important one of their teammates is while making fun of them simulataneously.

Nextwave # 4

Even though Tabitha was a huge idiot, it didn't feel mean to me for some reason. Especially when she was the one to defeat Forbush-Man. :allears:

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The most confusing part of this, to me, is who would put a paraplegic in combat boots and leather pants?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
We've covered this in the film posters thread. The answer is it's not a good hoverchair, so they need to armour him up a bit for the inevitable spills.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

404GoonNotFound posted:

So Ms. Marvel #1 came out today and it turns out that young Ms. Khan has some very... tumblr-friendly interests.

She's already hit 1,000 upvotes!

I know this was a few pages ago but I'm pretty sure it's also a reference to red faction: armageddon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHe0S22d1vQ

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

It hasn't been posted yet, but when I get a chance this weekend and am not at work, I want to post pages from Forever Evil: Arkham War #4. The series has been glorious stupid (what with Bane and Talon acting like Batman and Robin on steroids.)

But this issue takes that even further and has a moment that starts out badass, becomes dumb and then goes full circle back to badass, taking a moment to go through hilarity.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Exit Strategy posted:

The most confusing part of this, to me, is who would put a paraplegic in combat boots and leather pants?

It was just easier to make the suits in one piece.

I got no explanation for the boots, though.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

The Question IRL posted:

It hasn't been posted yet, but when I get a chance this weekend and am not at work, I want to post pages from Forever Evil: Arkham War #4. The series has been glorious stupid (what with Bane and Talon acting like Batman and Robin on steroids.)

But this issue takes that even further and has a moment that starts out badass, becomes dumb and then goes full circle back to badass, taking a moment to go through hilarity.

:confused: Do you mean where they drop down and beat up a mugger? Cause those were posted those like.. 20 pages ago.

The Question IRL posted:

This is my favourite two pages, where Bane and Talon beat up a thug who looks like Manu Bennett. That second last panel just cracks me up.

e: Hell, and YOU posted them. :psyduck:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

John Dyne posted:

:confused: Do you mean where they drop down and beat up a mugger? Cause those were posted those like.. 20 pages ago.

e: Hell, and YOU posted them. :psyduck:

Yeah, sorry I meant Arkham War # 5, the new issue.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

prefect posted:

Even though Tabitha was a huge idiot, it didn't feel mean to me for some reason. Especially when she was the one to defeat Forbush-Man. :allears:

It's because everyone has moments where they're either the butt of the joke, the hero of the arc, or both.

Nextwave # 10: Tabby's Place in the Sun

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Remember how everyone loved/loves the panels in Rover Red Charlie where Red keeps asking how his rear end smells? Yeah...well, page 17 of #3 has finally exposed this book as Ennis finally deciding to see how far his name will go. I can't paste the panel here because it's decidedly NMS and NSFW.

It's a panel where what looks like a young (and apparently mentally-challenged) boy is literally licking a bulldog's rear end in a top hat clean, while saying 'num num num.'

I don't even think DC would've allowed this in Preacher, and they allowed a LOT of poo poo in Preacher.

He's getting away with Crossed. I think we've passed the point of "Oh, he'd never have gotten away with this in Preacher!" territory long, long ago.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Huh, I never noticed Nextwave team have a little NW logo on their jackets.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lars Blitzer posted:

He's getting away with Crossed. I think we've passed the point of "Oh, he'd never have gotten away with this in Preacher!" territory long, long ago.

He hasn't written Crossed since the first arc, though?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
That first arc wasn't bad enough?

:/

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Blind Sally posted:

That first arc wasn't bad enough?

:/

It got worse with other writers who abandoned the little bit of characterization and purpose that was there and turned it into nothing but the shock/gore poo poo.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

X-O Manowar #3 (The old X-O, not the new one)

Aric wants such simple things :allears:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

TheJoker138 posted:

It got worse with other writers who abandoned the little bit of characterization and purpose that was there and turned it into nothing but the shock/gore poo poo.

Counterpoint: Wish You Were Here.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ultimate Secret #3.
Beer does indeed rock...

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Breetai posted:

Counterpoint: Wish You Were Here.

Yeah, Si Spurrier seems to specialize in making good comics out of things that suck, whether it be the Crossed universe in Crossed: Wish You Were Here, or Legion in X-Men Legacy.

X-Men Legacy #16

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
So Magneto can't keep his metal helmet stuck on his head? I wonder if the writer was impressed with himself when he came up with the gravity thing.

:smug:

It would take me out of that comic less if they had just written "<mutant_powered_plot_device>" in the dialog bubble and left it at that.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

All I can see is Locutus of Borg here. Unavoidable, I guess.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Drifter posted:

So Magneto can't keep his metal helmet stuck on his head? I wonder if the writer was impressed with himself when he came up with the gravity thing.

:smug:

It would take me out of that comic less if they had just written "<mutant_powered_plot_device>" in the dialog bubble and left it at that.

I'm thinking it was an element of surprise thing. Plus, Magneto's powers are on the fritz like Scott's.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Cabbit posted:

I'm thinking it was an element of surprise thing. Plus, Magneto's powers are on the fritz like Scott's.

That's my interpretation too. He has a sort of "The Hell?" look on his face as it's happening, then once it's up it's enough to let Legion in.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
No idea of source. Little Lulu, I think.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Action Tortoise posted:

It's because everyone has moments where they're either the butt of the joke, the hero of the arc, or both.

Nextwave # 10: Tabby's Place in the Sun

Forbush Man became an actual character? :psyduck:

(This is what happens when you stop buying comics in 1983)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dick Trauma posted:

Forbush Man became an actual character? :psyduck:

(This is what happens when you stop buying comics in 1983)

Just in NextWave.

• Locked thread