Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?

Pick posted:

They really need to change that policy. I get that there would be more days called if they did it every time there were six inches of snowfall, but can't businesses just accept that's the price they pay for being located in loving Minnesota? But no, instead you better be out there at 3 AM shoveling out your alley so you can trundle onto the road and maybe make it to work without dying of a car crash. Dying of the cold is also possible so don't break down!

lol no

I work for a huge multinational corporation and we only get days off if the county you live in declares a state of emergency and makes all non-emergency use of roads illegal. We've had 2 S.O.E.s over the last 2 years(one wasn't called until after noon so I had already gotten to work when it was declared) and we've probably had 8"+ of accumulation at least 5 or 6 times. It's more absurd than it sounds, really. No one can see any of the lines on the roads so 3 lane streets become 2 lane streets and 2 lane streets become consistent hazards. The interstate is the same way just with intermittent wrecks on the shoulders and maybe just right in the middle of the interstate. Pretty wild. Every time I talk about Indiana I just get more excited to move later this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

I've got a Paul Mitchell ceramic flat iron and I can say for certain that it's way better for my hair, as well as being more effective in keeping the frizz down. In the past I used mid-level straighteners and my hair broke off like mad.
It was expensive, but I've used it daily for 4.5 years and it still works beautifully.
Shine spray is great to protect your hair while keeping it more tamed, too! Good luck!

I'm in Portland, OR. We got like, 8 in yesterday and the city shut down. It's ridiculous.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Bewildrbeast posted:

I've got a Paul Mitchell ceramic flat iron and I can say for certain that it's way better for my hair, as well as being more effective in keeping the frizz down. In the past I used mid-level straighteners and my hair broke off like mad.

this is my concern! i have ridiculously thick hair and don't want to lose it now that i've just gotten over that awkward growing-it-out stage (the worstttttt, don't shave your head if you're not ready for this). how thick/thin is your hair?

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN
Apr 27, 2010

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Fisticuffs posted:

:argh: West coasters

You can't get a snow day in Indiana unless you get 8" minimum and most times when that happens you just get to enjoy a really dangerous commute to work.

I've lived in Salt Lake City for 19 years and there has never once been a snow day. Once we got FOUR FEET of snow at my apartment complex. I had to shovel out license plates until I found my car, then dig it out and drive to work. My boss was mad that I was late.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

My day got better. I chatted to a nice old lady about her stroke and child sex abuse trials while I waited for my bus and then the lady I was meeting is a super cool American chick who was very helpful and I got to see a heron, some pheasants, 3 different kinds of cute little wading birds and maybe a hawk not sure. And this awesome motherfucker.

It's called Seagen and it is an experimental offshore tidal turbine which is located conveniently in the middle of a lough because we have some cool tidal currents in Strangford. Sadly the arms weren't up today but it's still cool in a nerdy engineer-y kind of way.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
who's watching the olympic opening ceremony?

it's actually pretty cool.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
I like VA because we get wintery weather, but not often enough that things don't bother shutting down.

Important question for ladythread: I am about to accept a new job that I have to take because it solves a big financial issue that came up yesterday. The timing was insane. However, I am the only person who knows my job and am in the middle of a big project. I got enough time to finish it kind of maybe although I may have to work for old job on weekends. Anyway, question is: do I tell my boss before signing offer letter? Is that the nice thing to do? It would mean not sending letter back until Monday.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
No. Sign it now before someone tries to guilt you out of helping yourself to what you have earned and need.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?
Sign the letter. Don't feel like you need to do the nice thing for your place of employment. It's a job. Your relationship with them is professional. If they didn't prepare anyone else to perform your role in case you were sick or out or whatever else they dropped the ball and its not your fault.

Sign the letter. Congrats!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Shannonmcn posted:

My day got better. I chatted to a nice old lady about her stroke and child sex abuse trials while I waited for my bus and then the lady I was meeting is a super cool American chick who was very helpful and I got to see a heron, some pheasants, 3 different kinds of cute little wading birds and maybe a hawk not sure. And this awesome motherfucker.

It's odd to hope she was the victim of said trials but...??

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
Thank you guys, that's exactly what I need tattooed on my hand for the next few weeks. It's a small place and I feel lovely because my husband lost his job yesterday and everyone here has been completely amazing and rallied around us for support. But that also means they'll understand why I can't turn it down.

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

amarantinesky fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 4, 2014

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Calculus II is like a hundred times worse than Calc I thanks to bringing back ln and trig as concepts. I wish I didn't need to do this stupid class :( I couldn't afford to lose the credits though, and I'd get basically nothing back for leaving now. Hopefully at least a bunch of other people will drop soon so there's less chatter distracting me. I feel like a jerk wishing that but whatever, they're the ones chatting through math class.
~class postin'~

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

amarantinesky posted:

Oh no, I'm so sorry your husband lost his job. :( it's great that you've found something so quickly to help make up the difference, though. Will it be a job you like more than your current one?

Yeah, I'm actually really excited for it. It's the part of my job that I like without dumb administrative stuff. And thank you!

He will briefly be a househusband and it is awesome.

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

My teacher is really hot and I feel like The Police were singing about me.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

detectivemonkey posted:

Yeah, I'm actually really excited for it. It's the part of my job that I like without dumb administrative stuff. And thank you!

He will briefly be a househusband and it is awesome.

Make him vacuum in pearls and an apron and serve you a delicious martini when you get home from work

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Women's Rights? posted:

Make him vacuum in pearls and an apron and serve you a delicious martini when you get home from work

a Good Plan

also my best wishes for you and your husband detectivemonkey, i know you'll pull through this

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Women's Rights? posted:

This is a good thought. He did already finish getting dinner ready. It is 3:00 here.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
have sex with him a whole bunch of times :c00l:

you rock
Sep 12, 2010

You wanna fuck with this shit I fuckin dare you. You fuck wit the hedge you get the spines

Women's Rights? posted:

detectivemonkey livin da dream

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Being the house husband is okay to be. :(

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

you rock posted:

detectivemonkey livin da dream

on one hand i'm not sure just flipping a misogynist script around so it disadvantages men is the best idea, but on the other she looks real cute in that haircut

tough choice

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Women's Rights? posted:

I like this plan. Mr.Poopkitty retires in 18 months and I cannot wait for my martini and slippers.

Monkey, you guys will do fine. Enjoy your new job!

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

a dozen swans posted:

on one hand i'm not sure just flipping a misogynist script around so it disadvantages men is the best idea, but on the other she looks real cute in that haircut

tough choice

he looks pretty adorable in his romper too :3:

Captain Backslap posted:

Of course it is! I'm just bein silly. I'm all for dudes being house hubbies and stay at home dads.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Captain Backslap posted:

We were hoping to eventually be in a position where he stays home and MAKES ART and also dinner and stuff. It just may have happened forcibly and earlier than expected. Still waiting on confirmation though, so we could be broke again at any moment. Then I won't be able to buy him pearls in which to vacuum. Massive sex still on the table, though.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Women's Rights? posted:

Of course it is! I'm just bein silly. I'm all for dudes being house hubbies and stay at home dads.

:3: Mr. Kitty is planning on being a house dad for a bit. He's so much better at it than I am.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Women's Rights? posted:

he looks pretty adorable in his romper too :3:

he totally does! i'd be okay with that space-matriarchy, at least for a while

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Going back to straight iron talk I'd have to recommend at least some kind of heat protectant product because I've seen hair destroyed by frequent straight ironing and it looks really bad

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Donkay NOoo posted:

Going back to straight iron talk I'd have to recommend at least some kind of heat protectant product because I've seen hair destroyed by frequent straight ironing and it looks really bad

Oh yeah, I had thoughts on that, too. You don't have to go crazy, but ceramic really is better. And good call on protectant. I like fructis.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I've never used one. I don't quite get it. Then again my hair is straight as gently caress :(

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

My hair is a weird mix of wavy/frizzy/coarse/normal which is cool because it means it will do whatever I want and stay that way but it also means I have to do something to it anytime I go out or I look like an animal

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

a dozen swans posted:

tough choice

shame about her stroke tho

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I usually just straighten my bangs, sometimes more if I don't feel like having a cloud of curls around my face. I'm curious if any of you curly haired ladies use a curling iron at all... I've been thinking of getting one, because my hair is organized chaos at best. It might be fun to have ringlets or something for a day

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
gonna kick a nerd in the loving balls

e:

Putty fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 7, 2014

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

a dozen swans posted:

this is my concern! i have ridiculously thick hair and don't want to lose it now that i've just gotten over that awkward growing-it-out stage (the worstttttt, don't shave your head if you're not ready for this). how thick/thin is your hair?

Pretty thick, very curly, and extra frizzy from years of bleach and bizarre colors (current status- lime green and teal mohawk), so anything that makes it lay smooth is the best ever.
E: Also makes it softer, like magic. I use Biosilk shine spray.

Why are we kicking nerds in the balls...?

the escape goat fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 7, 2014

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i avoid imposing my will on my hair because our amiable relationship is the only reason it lets me live

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

I sort of just do whatever with my hair, it's really easy to deal with. I straighten it most of the time though with a $15 straightener I got at target and I don't have any split ends or frizziness so who knows

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Any time I've ever seen a woman using an iron on her hair it makes me cringe because they seem to keep it on the hair for a really long time. It seems like you'd only need a second of contact with most irons to get it where you want it to go. Maybe another squeeze if it's being fussy. Like, I can flatten unruly curls with just my fingers and a little bit of pressure and patience. It doesn't seem like a ton of heat is necessary.

Like, this girl says she holds it for 20 seconds or longer. She either has a really weak-rear end iron or I've just been exposed to really cheap too-hot irons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdVuSvZOqXM

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 7, 2014

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
butte

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

thank you