Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Also, parking so that the other person has to climb into the passenger seat to exit is a favourite of mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Cojawfee posted:

So, Top Gear US?

Top Gear US would have been one long hot hatch segment interrupted only by commercials for F-150s and shaving cream, then a short supercar segment with POOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA that Tanner would drive.

I thought this episode was pretty awesome, the scripting didn't bother me at all. Looking forward to the P1 next episode.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

a primate posted:

Also, parking so that the other person has to climb into the passenger seat to exit is a favourite of mine.

Sometimes me and a guy from work will take that a step further and make our co-worker with a Dodge Stealth R/T go through the back to get in, I'll block him in on the driver's side and the other guy gets in real close with his RHD Subaru WRX

Rottbott
Jul 27, 2006
DMC

Cakefool posted:

That episode was all the funnier for me because I owned a nova once. It was red with brown remold tyres and an sri interior. Someone stole the rear bumper and then I crashed it into the back of a fiat.

Didn't know about the hazard hack though.
I had one too, and I did in fact drive it into a ditch in Essex at least once. Eventually the brake master cylinder failed at 90mph.

My parents had an XR2i as well, shame the one they got for the episode was so knackered. I still want one.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I sort of expected to be the previous gen Fiesta going by the other 2 cars. A friend had one - it was stolen from outside my house and then dumped about a mile way untouched because it was so poo poo.

God help me - I'm starting to like the styling on them now

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
One of my workmates had a Nova in the nineties, and yes, he was very much a Nova owner - though I've seen pictures of his car and it was immaculate. Would probably be worth a chunk if he'd kept it.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
OP should be updated. Episode was mediocre but I look at it like a little primer for the series. p1 next week!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

pik_d posted:

I thought this episode was pretty awesome, the scripting didn't bother me at all. Looking forward to the P1 next episode.

Yeah this, basically. It was totally scripted, especially the last third with all the police equipment, but honestly who cares. I still found it pretty entertaining.

It's much more enjoyable if you watch the show, rather than stress about whether the drone footage was from a drone or a helicopter (who cares, it's still funny to watch Jeremy crash the drone on takeoff).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Preoptopus posted:

OP should be updated. Episode was mediocre but I look at it like a little primer for the series. p1 next week!

To say it's crusty would be an understatement. If someone wants to write a new one, either post a new thread and I'll close this, or post it in here and I'll edit it in.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

echomadman posted:

I laughed really hard at Pikeys Peak though.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

a primate posted:

I wish they wouldn't ham it up with clearly scripted explosions so much. What happened to good old-fashioned careless driving to damage their vehicles?

I completely agree on that part.

I think the episode started off well, but the old hot hatch segment ran a little long, got a little silly at the end, and they never actually went head to head with the newer cars (only a timed hill climb), which I would have liked.

Still, it's Top Gear, it's back, and it always brings a smile to my face, and as long as they keep doing that, it's still worthwhile.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I think Roadkill has changed my expectations - And I hate to say it, but the scripted disasters of TG really are getting old. Roadkill has the kind of spontenatity and "Holy gently caress what now?!?!" that TG got to be known for but has lost. Sure, TG is a mile better than any TV based car show..... but the ground has shifted, it's not just TV anymore and we have Roadkill or Chris Harris or MCM (hell Regular Car Reviews too) and a few others that dont have a budget but are executed better on the Internet.

That's what is putting TG into the category of "watch when bored" rather than "watch as soon as it's out" for me - It's just not as good as it was and now we have better. There is a lot of phoning it in by the three of them, it seems like it's just a pay cheque and that's it. It's not like they are all just simply getting older or some nonsense like that, James May doing a lap of hte TT circuit on a Meccano motorbike (!) was incredibly interesting, funny and worth watching... and better than what he's done on TG lately too.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Cat Terrist posted:

Roadkill has the kind of spontenatity and "Holy gently caress what now?!?!"

Take the hood off :v:.

I still love Top Gear, it's not as good as it used to be but it's still entertaining. Internet shows like Roadkill and MCM are just as entertaining, if not more, and they make me want to work on my cars.

I hope Roadkill and MCM get together at some point to do something.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Clarkson's attempt at pronouncing this was wonderful:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I refuse to believe that those are actual words in any language.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Lost it every time Clarkson tried to close the VW's door and the door just would refuse to stay shut. Hopefully this first episode was just them saving budget for the rest of the series, but then again they had all those explosions.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I love how Anglo-Saxons have lived next door to Welsh Britons on a tiny island for thousands of years and still treat their language like signals from Mars :allears:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
What is MCM?

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

GutBomb posted:

What is MCM?

Mighty Car Mods

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

antisodachrist posted:

Mighty Car Mods

Which is a great series, everyone should check it out. I watch a lot of DRIVE's channel as well.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Data Graham posted:

I love how Anglo-Saxons have lived next door to Welsh Britons on a tiny island for thousands of years and still treat their language like signals from Mars :allears:

Go look at that sign again.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

To say it's crusty would be an understatement. If someone wants to write a new one, either post a new thread and I'll close this, or post it in here and I'll edit it in.

Top Gear Series 21! Now almost as old as old Top Gear! New episodes of the series began airing February 2nd on BBC2, and in an unheard of feat of transatlantic content delivery, will air just 8 days later on BBC America (beginning February 10th).

Upcoming episodes will contain a review of the Golf Mk VII, the Dacia Sandero (Good News!), a mess of new supercars, Jeremy racing a hydrofoil on a jetski, a trip to SE Asia, Chernobyl, and the requisite threadshitting about scripted bits and too many fakey explosions..

For those who have been dead for the past 10 years or so, Top Gear is a car-related entertainment show on BBC2 which, for the most part consists of a car review, the hosts cocking about amidst a series of challenges and a celeb interview

Starring:
Jezza Clackson

Mister Slowly

The Hamster

and Stigadict Cumberbatch

PS don't be an idiot and talk about :filez:

bennyfactor fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 7, 2014

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Thank you very much :cheers:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

bennyfactor posted:

Mister Slowly

Still one of my favorite TG moments--the reaction from Hammond and Jeremy are great.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Rhyno posted:

Which is a great series, everyone should check it out. I watch a lot of DRIVE's channel as well.

Everything except for the ponce who thinks his music adds to it. They don't do a lot of it themselves, which was highlighted around, uh, Season 3, maybe? But, hell, everyone has to start somewhere. Still, gently caress moog.

E: Goddammit I speel guud.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 7, 2014

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

thebigcow posted:

Go look at that sign again.

Well stap my vitals.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

bennyfactor posted:

and in an unheard of feat of transatlantic content delivery, will air just 8 days later on BBC America (beginning February 10th).

Doctor Who airs the same day. :colbert:

Anyway, I wonder if there'll be any mention of the new Mustang, now that they've finally done the one thing that they've demanded since day 1 and given it IRS (and also since it'll be global).

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

It's Captain Slow not Mr Slowly :mad:

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

You Am I posted:

It's Captain Slow not Mr Slowly :mad:

Not according to the Italians.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Rhyno posted:

[Mighty Car Mods] is a great series, everyone should check it out. I watch a lot of DRIVE's channel as well.

It's certainly entertaining but I wish they went into more detail and weren't just vaguely specific for whatever car they were working on like they were with the mx5.
I joined the Brisbane fan page on facebook thats organised by one of Marty/Moogs mates who lives here and it led me to find these cars:

You can't see it well but it has evo fins and a rear strut bar made from $40 worth of brackets and poles from bunnings, a chain hardware store in Australia. It also has like 20 gauges with random crap that the owner doesn't understand, and he had a big sook when he couldn't find anyone willing to tune his ecu. He's also a complete loving rear end in a top hat whos so smug about his shitbox, it's kinda funny/sad how much he loves that car and how aggressive he is towards other people about it. That "try me in the corners" sticker is 100% serious, and anyone who calls him an idiot he threatens to punch when they "aren't protected by their keyboard".

Featuring an R33 lip and spoiler. You can't even look at that without him getting annoyed at you, and god help you if you ask him about it in a polite a way as possible.

There are more dumb ugly cars but everyone else with a car likes these seem to do it to take the piss.

jediguy
Apr 19, 2002

Apparently tomorrow's episode features both the P1 and the Alfa 4C.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
The P1 is the one car I've been waiting for since it was announced for Top Gear to test. I can't wait to see the cinematography for it.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

OptimusMatrix posted:

The P1 is the one car I've been waiting for since it was announced for Top Gear to test. I can't wait to see the cinematography for it.

I feel like it'll easily go top of the lap board, I wonder by how much though. Then I wonder if the LaFerrari will beat it assuming they get their hands on one

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Personally, I'm just looking forward to the Zenvo review. It was so amazing back when it was announced (1100hp and RWD with a 6-speed!), but I wonder how it stacks up to the modern breed of hybrid supercars.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Oh boy, the Alfa 4C looks like the GT-R's retarded brother.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I love the 4C but I have a soft spot for Alfas. I'm most looking forward to the P1 though. Should be interesting to see it shred its tires. I can't imagine why they didn't go AWD with it - to save weight, I guess?

a primate fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 9, 2014

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

a primate posted:

I love the 4C but I have a soft spot for Alphas. I'm most looking forward to the P1 though. Should be interesting to see it shred it's tires. I can't imagine why they didn't go AWD with it - to save weight, I guess?

Because 4wd cars are boring and fail. Essentially the opposite of what an alfa should be. Argh.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

a primate posted:

I love the 4C but I have a soft spot for Alphas. I'm most looking forward to the P1 though. Should be interesting to see it shred it's tires. I can't imagine why they didn't go AWD with it - to save weight, I guess?

It's Alfa, not Alpha.

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Because 4wd cars are boring and fail. Essentially the opposite of what an alfa should be. Argh.

The P1 isn't an Alfa Romeo, it's a McLaren (which also shouldn't be AWD).

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

pik_d posted:

It's Alfa, not Alpha.

The P1 isn't an Alfa Romeo, it's a McLaren (which also shouldn't be AWD).

I read the first and last sentences somehow haha.
Also McLaren care about building quick cars and 4wd really isn't the way to go. Pagani and McLaren know wassup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oh boy, the Alfa 4C looks like the GT-R's retarded brother.

Looks like a ricey body kit for the Elise to me.