Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Look at this gloriously tacky thing I spent money on:

Also pictured is my contribution to the teal nails hivemind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I think you should paint it. Make it a rose breasted cockatoo.

Also, now I want to paint my nails teal like the rest of you.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

That might be cool, but it's already been glazed and fired by the look of things. I kinda like the powder blue

How hard/expensive would it be to make a couch cover? I have very basic sewing skills and could probably borrow a sewing machine

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 8, 2014

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
i am not very good at fps games
i am gonna have to cheat to get anywhere in borderlands 2

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Crow Jane posted:

That might be cool, but it's already been glazed and fired by the look of things. I kinda like the powder blue

How hard/expensive would it be to make a couch cover? I have very basic sewing skills and could probably borrow a sewing machine

i dunno about cost but thats a huge time investment to make one

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Crow Jane posted:

Look at this gloriously tacky thing I spent money on:

Also pictured is my contribution to the teal nails hivemind

I'm no pro with lady toys but that doesn't look very comfortable.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I don't need it to be super-fitted, I just need it to securely cover my ugly-rear end couch. I'd love to just buy a new one altogether, but I live on the second floor of a really old house. The stairs to my place are super narrow, with really intricate woodwork that I'd hate to damage. The only way I got this one up was by sawing off the legs

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Crow Jane posted:

I looked into doing that a few years ago and even bought a book on slip covering. If you just want a loose cover, you could do that without any sewing, just cutting and pinning. But when I've tried that before, it always looked messy as the cover would always slide around. So when I looked at more fitted slipcovers, it looks doable but really time intensive. And real upholstery fabrics are pretty expensive. In the end, I decided I didn't want to spend that much time and effort on something I'd probably be unsatisfied with and took that slacker route of buying a new cheap Ikea sofa. (which I don't regret, it's a really comfy sofa that's lasted seven years so far and still looks decent)

That's a lot of words on sofas. I've wasted the whole day reading the Sochi thread and being really glad I'm not there.

Edit: If you go the Ikea route, they come flat packed so they're easy to move into place and can be disassembled to move/put on a new cover.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
Slip covers are terrible. But necessary. So I buy cheap ones on Amazon. *even cheap ones aren't cheap. Have you looked into reupholstery? Good places will pick up/deliver too.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
Doubleposting! I drove home in snow today. My anti-lock brakes work. It snows here like once a year, so they are NOT ready for it. My kids are outside frolicking. I stopped at 7-11 and stocked up on readymade food on the way so we're good.

(Note- 7-11 in Japan is awesome and has ruined me. Good, fresh food all the time. And a spotless bathroom. Leagues above the poo poo we have in the US for convenience stores. Also, they are called konbini.)

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

VanSandman posted:

i am not very good at fps games
i am gonna have to cheat to get anywhere in borderlands 2

Play with a friend, it gets much easier with a buddy. Also play Sal. Because two guns = better than

Borderlands 2 is so ridiculously fun :3:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

The couch isn't really worth reupholstering, I've had it for years and it's pretty awful. I'd love to just get a new one, but the weird architecture of my house makes moving anything in or out really difficult... IKEA is a definite option though. Their stuff is a little plain for my tastes, but I could always dress it up with pillows and throws and whatnot. Also, my taste might be terrible

I've been making due with an altered king-size duvet cover sort of shimmied over top of it, but between cats and sprawling it's starting to look a little rough

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

t_violet posted:

That's a lot of words on sofas. I've wasted the whole day reading the Sochi thread and being really glad I'm not there.

Edit: If you go the Ikea route, they come flat packed so they're easy to move into place and can be disassembled to move/put on a new cover.

oh, there's a sochi thread, i looked for one earlier and didn't find it. but ugh, it's like old gbs and terrible.

couwy
Nov 9, 2009

~just feels good~

detectivemonkey posted:

Oh yeah, I had thoughts on that, too. You don't have to go crazy, but ceramic really is better. And good call on protectant. I like fructis.

Tresemme's heat tamer spray is quite good and it smells nice.

On the other side of hot tools, what are good curling irons? Looking to do pretty mermaid waves, so I'm in the market for something with a 1 1/4" barrel.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
ugh, couch chat. I desperately need a new couch, my old one is so janky and awful. But the problem is I dunno what to do with the old one...the only guy I knew with a truck was the ex, so he won't haul it for me, and I'd feel awkward asking the guys delivering the new one to cart the old one away.

Be almost worth it to call Two Men and a Truck to be like "Hey take this down the street to the dumpster kthx" because I hate my couch SO MUCH

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
lift the couch

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
i am not shine, couch lifting is beyond my abilities

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Women's Rights? posted:

ugh, couch chat. I desperately need a new couch, my old one is so janky and awful. But the problem is I dunno what to do with the old one...the only guy I knew with a truck was the ex, so he won't haul it for me, and I'd feel awkward asking the guys delivering the new one to cart the old one away.

Be almost worth it to call Two Men and a Truck to be like "Hey take this down the street to the dumpster kthx" because I hate my couch SO MUCH

You can call St. Vincent de Paul or whatever's in your area, they do pick-ups I've done it in the past, they're really punctual and nice and it's for a good cause. Or a craigslist curb alert?

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Crow Jane posted:

The couch isn't really worth reupholstering, I've had it for years and it's pretty awful. I'd love to just get a new one, but the weird architecture of my house makes moving anything in or out really difficult... IKEA is a definite option though. Their stuff is a little plain for my tastes, but I could always dress it up with pillows and throws and whatnot. Also, my taste might be terrible

I've been making due with an altered king-size duvet cover sort of shimmied over top of it, but between cats and sprawling it's starting to look a little rough

I've got the Karlstad which I liked because it was pretty plain and vaguely midcentury-ish. One feature I now really appreciate is that the back cushions are kinda squishy and they make a perfect ledge for cats to nap on, right at shoulder level. I threw a sheepskin over the back and it's their favorite place, they're hanging out with me but not on me.

Women's Rights? posted:

Put it on Craigslist for free and specify that it has to be picked up that day. There's somebody that will take anything as long as it's free. I do that anytime I'm getting rid of a piece of furniture and I've always gotten twenty responses in the first minute.

toe knee hand posted:

oh, there's a sochi thread, i looked for one earlier and didn't find it. but ugh, it's like old gbs and terrible.

There's a lot of dumb chat but there's also some amazing pics and stories.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Women's Rights? posted:

i am not shine, couch lifting is beyond my abilities

LIFT THE COUCH

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
My couch is awful but we're just dealing with it until we move back to the states are hopefully to our final home. Dumping large things is rough here (seriously, trash is crazy complicated) and so we'll just deal with it. I have no idea what my final house looks like anyway, so we'll work with that. I's really love a non-ironic sectional but have never had a big enough house.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

t_violet posted:

There's a lot of dumb chat but there's also some amazing pics and stories.

Pretty much this, my general rule of thumb for interesting megathreads is to skim the crazy goon babble and just stop to look at pictures/interesting long posts/oft quoted posts.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Putty posted:

lift the couch

I took part in that challenge and did myself lift the couch

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

poopkitty posted:

My couch is awful but we're just dealing with it until we move back to the states are hopefully to our final home. Dumping large things is rough here (seriously, trash is crazy complicated) and so we'll just deal with it. I have no idea what my final house looks like anyway, so we'll work with that. I's really love a non-ironic sectional but have never had a big enough house.

We actually got an incredible sectional for free from a neighbor who was moving out. It was purple brocade with lovely dark wood, it must have cost a fortune. But the stairway to my place just wouldn't allow it :smith:. I ended up giving it to a friend, so at least I get to visit it sometimes

Also, my mom recently got a gorgeous, comfy navy blue Italian leather sofa from Craigslist for like 50 bucks. I love it and I'm horribly jealous

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I currently have an African buffalo head at my brother's house because I can't get him into my place :(.

I was able to get my wildebeest through the second-story window but the buffalo is just way way way too big and heavy.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
loser

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

SOCHI TIME

Holy poo poo, Bob Costas looks like he has pinkeye

How much do you want to bet he got it from his hotel room?

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 8, 2014

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i just ate a monaco bar so my day is pretty good so far

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
also dreamt last night that my ghost and i developed a yiddish-language platformer centred around saving a mysterious jungle nation from a monster that looked like a chinese dragon costume and had a vacuum mouth that could suck in entire cities. the player character was an avatar of myself (short, fat, frizzy). the game got rave reviews but was a commercial flop because a) it was all in yiddish and b) i insisted on putting in a shitload of secret areas so most of the gameplay was inaccessible to casual gamers, but it was ok because we got to go on a publicity tour regardless and ariel gave a lecture about the evolution of the yiddish language in europe to a theatre of autistic children

e: there was also a subplot where i was trying to go home and babysit my dog because my parents were going on holiday. i got home and my two dead dogs were there too. my parents were like "yeah they just showed up one day, they don't eat or drink or anything but they hang out and follow us around" so i hung out with vanya and ariel sharon and my dead childhood pets on my farm for a while before i had to go back to promote my game

Avshalom fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 8, 2014

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Avshalom posted:

also dreamt last night that my ghost and i developed a yiddish-language platformer centred around saving a mysterious jungle nation from a monster that looked like a chinese dragon costume and had a vacuum mouth that could suck in entire cities. the player character was an avatar of myself (short, fat, frizzy). the game got rave reviews but was a commercial flop because a) it was all in yiddish and b) i insisted on putting in a shitload of secret areas so most of the gameplay was inaccessible to casual gamers, but it was ok because we got to go on a publicity tour regardless and ariel gave a lecture about the evolution of the yiddish language in europe to a theatre of autistic children

Have you read The Yiddish Policemen's Union?

God, the US uniforms are basically horrible Christmas sweaters. I GET it, but ugh

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Crow Jane posted:

Have you read The Yiddish Policemen's Union?
i have not, but i've been told that i probably should

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Avshalom posted:

i have not, but i've been told that i probably should

Chabon is wonderful, even if he can't really write an ending. Read it! It's about a Jewish colony in Alaska, among other weird things

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Pick posted:

I've never used one. I don't quite get it. Then again my hair is straight as gently caress :(

give me your hair

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

The opening ceremony involves animatronic farm animals

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
see if you can find Maps And Legends: Reading And Writing Along The Borderlands - it's a collection of Chabon's essays, including the (spectacular) Golems I Have Known (full audio here, it's very good and worth listening to)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Enfys posted:

give me your hair

i had the nicest hair in middle school :(

now it's kind of lovely from stress and bleaching

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
loser roflolmfabbq

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Crow Jane posted:

The opening ceremony involves animatronic farm animals

I have not seen it. Is it available online?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
99% sure at least half my friends in high school only befriended me so they could coax me into letting them straighten my hair

i only let it happen once and i gained about eight inches of hair out of nowhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

poopkitty posted:

I have not seen it. Is it available online?

Maybe on NBC's site

Avshalom posted:

99% sure at least half my friends in high school only befriended me so they could coax me into letting them straighten my hair

i only let it happen once and i gained about eight inches of hair out of nowhere

Mine's the same way if I straighten it. And then I feel like my head looks weird without the poof

• Locked thread