Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

GraPar posted:

Guy who made Happy Endings just had a pilot order for a show called Cuz-Bros. It's about cousins who are friends. Cuz-Bros.

That guy needs to work on his naming scheme though. Hes 2/2 for terrible names for shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Happy Endings wasn't a terrible name (Cougar Town and New Girl are terrible show names, or at least, terrible because they misrepresent the shows). Cuz-Bros though... holy poo poo, that's bad.

So hey, I just remembered that The Goodwin Games is a thing that happened. Was it really so bad that literally nobody talked about it? The previews and clips looked really good. :(

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

precision posted:

Happy Endings wasn't a terrible name (Cougar Town and New Girl are terrible show names, or at least, terrible because they misrepresent the shows). Cuz-Bros though... holy poo poo, that's bad.

So hey, I just remembered that The Goodwin Games is a thing that happened. Was it really so bad that literally nobody talked about it? The previews and clips looked really good. :(

Eh, it was okay. I laughed but ultimately even the charming surprise of a hilarious Scott Foley was not enough to make me remember it existed. And then it didn't.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Didn't see it mentioned here yet but the American X-Factor has been canceled.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

VDay posted:

The next TV show that AMC will eventually try to ruin once it gets popular: an adaptation of the Preacher comic book series. Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg to EP.

Sucks HBO passed on it, but there's no way it'll be any better on AMC.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't know how recently any of you have actually read Preacher but it's embarrassingly "90s as gently caress" and "sooooo edgy".

I mean a key plot event at one point is someone making a dude sodomize himself with his own severed penis.

It's like Crooked Little Vein as written by Neil Gaiman. Don't get me wrong, it's a fun comic, but it's funnier that so many people are up in arms like it's loving Watchmen or something.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Preacher could work if you just boil down the basic ideas and characters and not actually adapt any of the plot. The idea of Jesse Custer, hosed up man of the cloth with the powers of a god trying to find out why capital G God abandoned creation with the help of his hitwoman ex-girlfriend and an Irish vampire they met along the way, is an interesting idea for a show.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I never cared for Preacher (I don't care for Garth Ennis in general) and highly doubt I'd even watch a show based on it. Plus I can just imagine how terrible discussion of it would be on the internet.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

precision posted:

I don't know how recently any of you have actually read Preacher but it's embarrassingly "90s as gently caress" and "sooooo edgy".

It's a comic book, of course it's gonna be silly.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

muscles like this? posted:

Didn't see it mentioned here yet but the American X-Factor has been canceled.

That's good news for fans of Almost Human, I think. Possibly even Rake too, assuming against logic that the ratings held tight from last week.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

comes along bort posted:

It's a comic book, of course it's gonna be silly.

They're called "graphic novels" god drat it!

Seriously though, give me an HBO-produced high-budget Sandman adaptation. Like, fuckin' yesterday. Hardly anyone even knows what Preacher is, though I agree the basic plot outline is a pretty sweet idea for a show.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

Seriously though, give me an HBO-produced high-budget Sandman adaptation. Like, fuckin' yesterday. Hardly anyone even knows what Preacher is, though I agree the basic plot outline is a pretty sweet idea for a show.

That's unlikely to happen since JGL just got tapped for a Sandman movie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

precision posted:

Comic book with thicker pages.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Aphrodite posted:

Comic book with thicker pages.

And thicker readers

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone actually know anyone who regularly calls normal comic books graphic novels and gets offended at the use of the former term? I've never met one in my life. Graphic novels is just the term for bigger one-shot stories released as a proper bound volume instead of something with staples, or so I thought.

Anyway I still like Preacher. It's fun as gently caress and doesn't take itself seriously at any point which is what elevates it above most 90s fare, imo.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I'm one of those late-20s guys with an unhealthy love for Preacher. I'm excited to see it come to series, and of course, I'm super nervous they'll gently caress it up. Maybe that makes me a bad person, I don't care. I love that book.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Deadpool posted:

I never cared for Preacher (I don't care for Garth Ennis in general) and highly doubt I'd even watch a show based on it. Plus I can just imagine how terrible discussion of it would be on the internet.

I found myself enjoying The Walking Dead a whole lot more after I stopped reading discussion about it online.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Preach. I just read a couple of pages of the Walking Dead thread for a laugh and wow. Just wow.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Amazon added The Americans to Prime Instant, just in time to binge watch and catch up before the second season starts on February 26. Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys play two Soviet sleeper agents spying in early 1980s America. When they are not trying to eavesdrop on Defense Secretary Weinberg's meetings or cultivate a source inside the Star Wars missile defense program, they try to appear like a normal suburban family (complete with two kids) to their new neighbor, a FBI agent recently transferred to Counter-intelligence.

The show was kind of overlooked, but a lot of goons enjoyed the Cold War spy games, nostalgic '80s music, bad clothes as disguises, and hilarious wigs (spoilers!).

First season trailer

The ads for the second season are great. Sting singing about the Russians loving their children too is simply perfect.

grrarg fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Feb 8, 2014

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

GreenNight posted:

I found myself enjoying Game of Thrones a whole lot more after I stopped reading discussion about it online.

GreenNight posted:

I found myself enjoying Agents of Shield a whole lot more after I stopped reading discussion about it online.

GreenNight posted:

I found myself enjoying Supernatural a whole lot more after I stopped reading discussion about it online.

GreenNight posted:

I found myself enjoying everything a whole lot more after I stopped reading discussion about it online.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The first rule of the internet is that the internet ruins everything.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Americans was by far one of my favourite shows last year, really looking forward to s2.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

grrarg posted:

Amazon added The Americans to Prime Instant, just in time to binge watch and catch up before the second season starts on February 26. Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys play two Soviet sleeper agents spying in early 1980s America. When they are not trying to eavesdrop on Defense Secretary Weinberg's meetings or cultivate a source inside the Star Wars missile defense program, they try to appear like a normal suburban family (complete with two kids) to their new neighbor, a FBI agent recently transferred to Counter-intelligence.

The show was kind of overlooked, but a lot of goons enjoyed the Cold War spy games, nostalgic '80s music, bad clothes as disguises, and hilarious wigs (spoilers!).

First season trailer

The ads for the second season are great. Sting singing about the Russians loving their children too is simply perfect.

Awesome. Was waiting for the discs to come out. Thanks for the heads up!

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

GreenNight posted:

I found myself enjoying The Walking Dead a whole lot more after I stopped reading discussion about it online.

That is why I stopped reading about The Walking Dead And Shield. Dexter was terrible but the thread made if easier to hate watch the show while not really caring if I missed anything since someone posted about it anyways.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The secret isn't to avoid reading discussion of a programme, it's to recognise that the people posting about it are, more often than not, dumber than rocks and incapable of following plot. Essentially, just form your own judgements.

Unless you mean live posting, because yeah, that's why so many people can't follow plots.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 8, 2014

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Preacher could work if you just boil down the basic ideas and characters and not actually adapt any of the plot. The idea of Jesse Custer, hosed up man of the cloth with the powers of a god trying to find out why capital G God abandoned creation with the help of his hitwoman ex-girlfriend and an Irish vampire they met along the way, is an interesting idea for a show.

Basically be the anti-Walking Dead. Don't just copy a comic. Improve on it. Kickass had the right idea.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Shageletic posted:

Basically be the anti-Walking Dead. Don't just copy a comic. Improve on it. Kickass had the right idea.

Nooooooope. Kick-rear end 2 invalidates everything the first one did well and then some.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Kick-rear end 2 is remarkable. A cargo cult version of Kick-rear end in a head-on collision with a coming of age story for girls, and a minibus full of spite.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Nooooooope. Kick-rear end 2 invalidates everything the first one did well and then some.

No idea what you're talking about. A sequel? Lalalala can't hear you

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not seen the movie but Kick-rear end 2 the comic was just all kinds of dreadful.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Deadpool posted:

Enjoy moderating the thread :twisted:

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Enjoy moderating the thread :twisted:

Just make all the threads about TV shows based on comic books live in BSS.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I couldn't believe how bad the Kick rear end comic was after I grabbed it to read after loving the film. I'm not a comic fan in the first place, but my god that thing is an absolute cess pit from the second panel onwards. It's amazing they were able to find something good in it to make a movie out of.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I've said it before. Millar and Ennis are poo poo writers but fantastic concept guys.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

EL BROMANCE posted:

The Americans was by far one of my favourite shows last year, really looking forward to s2.

Same here.

For anyone who digs espionage slow burners: The Americans is a very cool show.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I've said it before. Millar and Ennis are poo poo writers but fantastic concept guys.

Yeah, getting paired up with Matthew Vaughn sounds like it was the best thing to ever happen to Millar. I've never read any of his comics, but from what I hear, Vaughn seems to be able to grow the stories up a bit without losing what made them interesting in the first place.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ben McKenzie from Southland will be playing James Gordon on Gotham. Well their first move is a good one at least.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Deadpool posted:

Ben McKenzie from Southland will be playing James Gordon on Gotham. Well their first move is a good one at least.

Unironically love Ben McKenzie so this is an excellent casting choice from my point of view.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ryan from The OC?

yeah, sure, I'm down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

precision posted:

The pilot was okay, but the characters weren't interesting, the cast was terrible, and they abandoned the premise really fast. I think it was the third week where I said, "This show is doing nothing for me," and quit.

Bown posted:

Not seen the movie but Kick-rear end 2 the comic was just all kinds of dreadful.

Kick-rear end the comic was all kinds of dreadful so it was just carrying on the fine tradition of Mark Millar's work.

• Locked thread