Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

I thought it was Gaff arriving in a spinner during the noodle stand scene at first

oddium fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Criminal Minded posted:

Those really give off a Syd Mead vibe to me.

Yeah, I thought of Blade Runner...

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Wow! Any idea when they go up?

The gallery is in two days, so probably within the next month the "extras" will go online.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
/\/\/\ thanks!

nippon nifties posted:

I thought it was Gaff arriving in a spinner during the noodle stand scene at first

Me too. The DeLorean travelling to the future from Blade Runner is fantastic. I don't care how lousy it is as a movie poster, it's a piece of nerd bait art and it totally worked on me.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 6, 2014

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I hope I don't sound too nitpicky, but it looks like Michael J. Fox is wearing a black motorcycle helmet in that poster. Does he do that in the movie?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Pretty sure that's Doc Brown wearing those mirror goggles.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Lady Naga posted:

I hope I don't sound too nitpicky, but it looks like Michael J. Fox is wearing a black motorcycle helmet in that poster. Does he do that in the movie?

That's Doc and you're seeing the silver visor he wears against his silhouette.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Lizard Combatant posted:

That's Doc and you're seeing the silver visor he wears against his silhouette.

Alright, my mistake. Haven't seen BTTF2 in years.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Criminal Minded posted:

Those really give off a Syd Mead vibe to me.

The DeLorean's a pretty Syd Mead-y design to start with.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I saw that first one and immediately thought someone made a CGA Back To The Future game. That totes look like an opening screen from back in the day.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

MikeJF posted:

The DeLorean's a pretty Syd Mead-y design to start with.

Yeah, good call.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

MikeJF posted:

Mondo! And alternate colouring.

I love it. And they've managed to use the limited colouring in an atmospheric way.

A weird grainy picture of a coffee shop? That only plays into the first few minutes of the movie. Bad color choice, bad shot angle, bad bad poster.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
It looks like he's trying to parallel park into a way too tight spot.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I forgot that Back To The Future Part 2 was a tech noir.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I forgot that Back To The Future Part 2 was a tech noir.

I wish it was.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
I just love some retro pixel art every now and then.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The only nitpick I have about that is that the patrons aren't reflected in the water on the streets. Otherwise I like them both.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

effectual posted:

A weird grainy picture of a coffee shop? That only plays into the first few minutes of the movie. Bad color choice, bad shot angle, bad bad poster.

Cafe 80's was a major, iconic part of the movie. I just wish it said Cafe 80's on the sign and had images of Ronald Reagan, the Ayatollah and Max Headroom on the TVs instead of T H and E.

e: and the Wild Gunman machine with Elijah Woods and the Pepsi shoots. It's weirdly missing any iconic things.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Feb 6, 2014

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
It's got the Citroen, so I'm happy.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
I dunno, shouldn't a poster conjure up the feel of the movie? It doesn't do that at all.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That's probably the most noir poster I've ever seen. Which would be neat if Back to the Future 2 was a noir film.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
The poster looks like someone got told to watch Blade Runner to get some design inspiration. The whole thing evokes the sushi stand from the start of that film rather than anything in BTTF2.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I see Drive in the colours more than Blade Runner.

Also, why can't I fan poster be given room to breathe? Why does it have to reflect the theme? Why can't it have some fun? We're not discussing an official poster.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Despite the criticisms, I will try my hardest to buy this poster. It will be the first mondo poster I'll actually out effort into seeking out.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
What's the laziest tag-line you've seen, excluding variations of 'From the X who brought you Y'?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Also, why can't I fan poster be given room to breathe? Why does it have to reflect the theme? Why can't it have some fun? We're not discussing an official poster.

No, but I think there's an issue when the poster makes me think of movies other than the one it's representing.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

It makes me think more of Only God Forgives crossed crossed with Blade Runner than Drive.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Cacator posted:

No, but I think there's an issue when the poster makes me think of movies other than the one it's representing.

I think people are thinking far too critical on these.

It's a remix.

Ever see The Shining trailer re-cut that made it into like a romantic comedy/G rated Family film? That was clearly making you feel something different about the material and it was clearly trying to make you think of other movies. That was the point.

Or look at stuff like the Cardigan's cover of "Iron Man" or Superhumanoid's cover of "March of the Pigs". I won't compare with Richard Cheese because his whole point is parody. You hear these songs and feel something completely different to the original... but that's okay.

But now you have a poster from a science fiction movie that takes a noir direction on it and it's now a criticism and a bad bad poster. I guess I don't agree with that point of view. I too hate how Mondo posters turn into a huge discussion thing and don't want this to happen again but I feel it's one thing to say, "That's a poorly designed poster" and another to say "That poster is bad because it doesn't stay on theme". It's not supposed to.

But to each their own I guess.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I think people are thinking far too critical on these.

It's a remix.

Ever see The Shining trailer re-cut that made it into like a romantic comedy/G rated Family film? That was clearly making you feel something different about the material and it was clearly trying to make you think of other movies. That was the point.

Or look at stuff like the Cardigan's cover of "Iron Man" or Superhumanoid's cover of "March of the Pigs". I won't compare with Richard Cheese because his whole point is parody. You hear these songs and feel something completely different to the original... but that's okay.

But now you have a poster from a science fiction movie that takes a noir direction on it and it's now a criticism and a bad bad poster. I guess I don't agree with that point of view. I too hate how Mondo posters turn into a huge discussion thing and don't want this to happen again but I feel it's one thing to say, "That's a poorly designed poster" and another to say "That poster is bad because it doesn't stay on theme". It's not supposed to.

no No NO all posters must be a Wikipedia plot synopsis in pictorial form for it to be a good poster, a good 80% of this thread says so

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I really like those Back to the Future posters, I just wish the title of the film wasn't so integrated and difficult to notice. It just comes across as fanart when it's supposed to be a poster.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Febreeze posted:

I really like those Back to the Future posters, I just wish the title of the film wasn't so integrated and difficult to notice. It just comes across as fanart when it's supposed to be a poster.

It is fan art :ssh:

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Weird, I actually thought the poster did a good job capturing BTTF Part II since it combines both the sleekness of the film's opening and the darkness of the second half. A bright and sunny poster of the future would really only reflect the film's first ten minutes.

But that title placement is just painful to look at, so I'd never buy it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I wish they would make a Waldo movie so when the poster comes out everyone will complain about how hard it is to find the title.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
As with many of the Mondo posters, this one is beautifully rendered and almost amazing. But they're so "clever" with the text that it kills the whole thing for me.

Some of the Lord of the Rings posters are completely unreadable, despite being really neat otherwise. Ditto, Jurassic Park. While you could argue that the style of those posters didn't match the aesthetic of the films, they were at least really neat drawings of dinosaurs and Ring Wraiths and such. But then the lettering was done by someone who was trying way the gently caress too hard to do something interesting when it would have been 100X more effective to stencil in a real goddamn font and let the (very competently rendered) image do the work.

I have said it before, but I feel like the Mondo designers all need a crotchety old art director who yells at them and smacks their hand every time they do something like this with the titles. Maybe an old nun with a ruler, even. Someone to just scream "NO!" and send them back to edit the text so that it's readable.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I wish this Mr. Smith Goes to Washington poster wasn't a limited run:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

morestuff posted:

Should be the 48-star flag.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

morestuff posted:

Isn't it disrespectful to the flag to walk on it?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

DarkSol posted:

Isn't it disrespectful to the flag to walk on it?

Have you seen the movie?

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
I got this great Miami Connection poster...

But I can't seem to find a 27x40 inch poster frame (the cheap plexiglass ones). Most are 24x36.
Anyone know any chain stores that sell the larger frames?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

ruddiger posted:

This thread's starting to give Romero a bad name. Let's show some of his better work, yes?

Best Romero movie by far.

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you there, clearly Romero's best film is:

It's even got this badass Boris Vallejo poster.

But I liked Bruiser, so what do I know (I will not defend it as "good", however).