Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
I sat across the isle from Shaun White on a flight to China in 2011 and that's my lifetime skiing experience wrapped up in a single sentence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Were you in first class or have Shaun White's fortunes taken a turn for the worse?

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
Not sure how far behind I am and if you guys are still talking about it, but I actually found my first job through Rebecca Tang and other than kind of being a bitch when I called the day of my first visa expiring, she agreed to talk to the people at my job and told them to stop loving around and do something about my visa expiring.

She also wasn't taking any of my money (that I know of) and I didn't sign any contract from her, just from the school, and it had no stipulations about Chinese contracts taking precedence or giving her X amount of money every month.

The school did end up screwing me over, but I don't think she had anything to do with it and my experience with her was pretty decent overall.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
So goon meet in Chengdu, when??

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

Bloodnose posted:

Were you in first class or have Shaun White's fortunes taken a turn for the worse?

It was in economy. He and his entourage all sat in economy. I think they had their travel plans disrupted because their seats were spread all over the place.

mrgoodtrips
Jun 15, 2013
Anyone have information on Aston schools? The branches in Chengdu, Xiamen and Dalian interest me the most. I failed to get a job for the Spring semester, so now I'm opening up my options and reforming plans. Aston has summer school options, so I'm considering a short-term contract with them then hopefully begin the Fall semester teaching at a university.

Also, any other summer camp recommendations? I've made overtures to a company called Omeida in Yangshou. It seems like a good first job in China.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Airport riot in Henan. Awesome.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

goldboilermark posted:

Airport riot in Henan. Awesome.

How exactly can you tell that a riot has started in a Chinese airport? Do the people suddenly line up?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/10623528/Chinese-passengers-start-riot-in-airport-over-delayed-flights.html

This is a winner of an idea.

Yeah, expecting people to act civilized is pretty crazy, I know.

blinkyzero fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 8, 2014

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Reuters posted:

A riot at a major airport in China by passengers angry about delays caused by heavy snow has marred the end of the traditional week-long lunar new year holiday, state media said on Friday, as millions rush to return to work.

Passengers at Zhengzhou airport, capital of the populous northern province of Henan, stormed check-in desks and smashed computers and other equipment after the airport closed for more than five hours due to the snow on Thursday, newspapers reported.

Pictures on China's Twitter-like Sina Weibo microblogging service showed police trying to calm angry crowds and broken signs at airline counters.

"There were not enough seats and passengers had to sit on their luggage eating instant noodles. The airport staff were indifferent and said 'I don't know' to questions asked of them," Henan radio said on its microblog.

:china:

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

drat yo, I missed out on that poo poo.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

GuestBob posted:

drat yo, I missed out on that poo poo.

As I read the article, I was like, "Hmm, aren't those GhostBob's haunts?"

I suppose you can hardly blame people for rioting when their attempts to leave Henan are confounded.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The best is the people who got angry because employees were indifferent and answered "I don't know" a lot.

How is that different from any other job in this country, ever?

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

I have revised the anthem of the People's Republic to better reflect the attitudes of its people.

起来!没办法!不愿做奴隶的人们!麻烦!
把我们的血肉,筑成我们新的长城!我不知道!
中华民族到了最危险的时候,
每个人被迫着发出最后的吼声。没办法!
起来!起来!起来!麻烦!麻烦!麻烦!
我们万众一心,
冒着敌人的炮火,前进!我不知道!
冒着敌人的炮火,前进!我不知道!
前进!前进!进!没办法!没办法!没办法!

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~

goldboilermark posted:

The best is the people who got angry because employees were indifferent and answered "I don't know" a lot.

In China it's a special kind of indifference. Malevolent indifference, if that makes sense

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

I am probably going to get an email from my mother asking if I was responsible for the mess.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

GuestBob posted:

I am probably going to get an email from my mother asking if I was responsible for the mess.

It's those cardigans. It gets the Orientals all a-flutter.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

I love how millions of migrant workers manage to squeeze through overcrowded train stations and survive 36 hour journeys in sardine cans full of feet while a five hour delay causes a few middle class Henanren to throw their toys out.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

GuestBob posted:

I love how millions of migrant workers manage to squeeze through overcrowded train stations and survive 36 hour journeys in sardine cans full of feet while a five hour delay causes a few middle class Henanren to throw their toys out.

It's like Fitzgerald wrote: the very rich are different than you and me.

(They can get away with rioting.)

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

On my way back from Nanjing to Shanghai the trains were all delayed because of the snow, and while there were people sitting on their luggage (and even the floor! :ohdear:) eating two-minute noodles, there was thankfully no rioting. Not even from those on their luggage without any noodles, two-minute or otherwise.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Ahahaha, Zhengzhou. Henan is truly the Germany or Florida of China.

Last night I saw a crashed Mercedes abandoned by its owner on the bridge, blocking two of four traffic lanes, hung around taking pictures for about ten minutes, nobody stopped.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's baffling to me that here, in the self congratulated birthplace of noodles, instant noodles are not only tolerated but ubiquitous. It's like they talk a good game but actually don't give a shi-oh. Mystery solved. :china:

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
I like instant noodles.

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

HAPPY F!UN MAGIC ENGLISH TIEM~~~

goldboilermark posted:

STORY TIME!

We have a group of students transferring to a US college for a summer term; as such packets of info about their meal plans and whatnot has been coming in. I put all the mail I received for them into individually marked envelopes, then dropped those envelopes off at our gate/mail area for students to pick up at their leisure (as is our policy). There is always the same dude working behind the counter, and because of the holiday the mail room was deserted. I got my drop-off receipt, checked to make sure they were in our class bin, and texted the kids to let them know they were available.

Today, less than 24 hours after they were originally dropped off, I get a frantic message from a student that all the envelopes are gone. He's been talking to the mail guy for about ten minutes, and is convinced that everything is ruined forever. I go down to the guard area, and get this:

:confused: "Hey, I dropped off envelopes yesterday?"
:colbert: "I don't know, there are no envelopes."
:confused: "But I brought them here yesterday. I put them in that bin."
:colbert: "I don't know. They're not there."
:confused: "Did someone move them? Could they be somewhere else?"
:colbert: "I don't know. Nothing I can do."
:confused: "Yeah, but, I brought them here yesterday. I have a receipt. You were here"
:colbert: "Well, there are no envelopes."
:byodame: "BUT THERE SHOULD BE ENVELOPES."

After another ten minutes of this he begrudgingly lets me behind the little counter thing, and SURPRISE, there is a huge bin of unsorted mail and other nonsense under the counter. And there, between a tea tin and his puffy coat, are the envelopes. How and why they got there is a mystery. I signed them out so now students can just pick them up at my office (which I would have done in the first place, but last time I did that the gate guard refused to let students on campus, thus requiring the use of the mail dude).

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Tom Smykowski posted:

I like instant noodles.

Invented by THE JAPANESE

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If it was a box of industrial samples and it ended up sitting in the guard room then heads will loving roll.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

caberham posted:

If it was a box of industrial samples and it ended up sitting in the guard room then heads will loving roll.

Don't worry, it was just envelopes.

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

MeramJert posted:

Don't worry, it was just envelopes.

but if it had been instant noodles it would have been better

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Arglebargle III posted:

It's baffling to me that here, in the self congratulated birthplace of noodles, instant noodles are not only tolerated but ubiquitous. It's like they talk a good game but actually don't give a shi-oh. Mystery solved. :china:

There's another noodle aisle, you know.

Korea is worse. Korean instant noodles, especially Nong Shim, are far and away the best. Go to a restaurant and order pretty much any non-clear noodles, though, and that is what you're going to get. As good as Nong Shim is, it isn't as good as fresh, or even regular dried noodles.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

VideoTapir posted:

There's another noodle aisle, you know.

There's a man in a little white hat :colbert:

In Lanzhou I got to know my local lamian whacker well enough to get the chance to do it myself.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Arglebargle III posted:

As opposed to the US, the birthplace of the hamburger, tolerating McDonald's.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

computer parts posted:

As opposed to the US, the birthplace of the hamburger, tolerating McDonald's.

This is how you can tell New Guinea has real culture: you don't see any fast food restaurants there slinging human flesh.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Technically hamburger comes from Mongolia but Americans were the first to incorporate bread, maybe.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

bad day posted:

Technically hamburger comes from Mongolia but Americans were the first to incorporate bread, maybe.

Hamburgers came from God, sir.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
About a month ago our bathroom was out of toilet paper. I went and told our floor handyman and he said "I don't know".

My response "I know you didn't know, but I just recently finished telling you. Now, you know."

He then told me "It's not my job."

We chatted about his job for about 20 seconds, he had to get up from smoking his cig and Literally Doing Nothing, and he called the front desk to get us new toilet paper.

I then went out of the building to go to Starbucks to go to the bathroom. While I was leaving the Starbucks, I got on the elevator on 4. It was going down. It got to floor 2. A really, really fat guy tried to get on and as he did he asked "Going down?" A lady grunted. Another girl was smashing the door close button and the elevator closed on the fat guy. He grunted. He then got on and pressed floor 9. The elevator started going down. He did one of those "aaaaaaa? noises.

I left the elevator, laughing, and shaking my head. I walked outside and a little girl, probably about 7, had her underpants and pants down and was pissing on a manhole cover while her grandfather encouraged her.

This was the most :china: day I have had in the last month or so.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

goldboilermark posted:

About a month ago our bathroom was out of toilet paper. I went and told our floor handyman and he said "I don't know".

My response "I know you didn't know, but I just recently finished telling you. Now, you know."

He then told me "It's not my job."

We chatted about his job for about 20 seconds, he had to get up from smoking his cig and Literally Doing Nothing, and he called the front desk to get us new toilet paper.

I then went out of the building to go to Starbucks to go to the bathroom. While I was leaving the Starbucks, I got on the elevator on 4. It was going down. It got to floor 2. A really, really fat guy tried to get on and as he did he asked "Going down?" A lady grunted. Another girl was smashing the door close button and the elevator closed on the fat guy. He grunted. He then got on and pressed floor 9. The elevator started going down. He did one of those "aaaaaaa? noises.

I left the elevator, laughing, and shaking my head. I walked outside and a little girl, probably about 7, had her underpants and pants down and was pissing on a manhole cover while her grandfather encouraged her.

This was the most :china: day I have had in the last month or so.

And this country just landed a piece of hardware on the Moon. Hard to believe.

(Granted, it broke pretty much immediately after they tried to do anything with it.)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

bad day posted:

The earliest ground meat patty between bread I'm aware of is from the Roman cookbook Apicius. Sorry Mongols. :colbert:

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

goldboilermark posted:

What is it with China and elevators? I don't think they understand the core concept, like when it reaches the ground floor, if you want to get on, it's probably a good idea to let people off first instead of forcing your way in. But hey, who am I to argue with 5000 years of culture? Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to barge into Subway, run up to the register and start shaking money at the employees.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

tacoman165 posted:

What is it with China and elevators? I don't think they understand the core concept, like when it reaches the ground floor, if you want to get on, it's probably a good idea to let people off first instead of forcing your way in. But hey, who am I to argue with 5000 years of culture? Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to barge into Subway, run up to the register and start shaking money at the employees.

先下后上 is plastered everywhere. Same as 往前一小步文明一大步 but there's always piss on the floors around the urinals. I notice it in chengdu but nowhere else, but people will sprint and push people down to get on the escalator first so they can stand still on it.

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

tacoman165 posted:

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to barge into Subway, run up to the register and start shaking money at the employees.

THIS. I love when someone bypasses a huge line and starts yelling at the cashier, and/or throws money down at them. Bonus points if they're in a group of at least four or on their cellphone.

My favorite is at McDonald's (we do not have a Subway) when all of the above is combined with pointing indiscriminately at the signs posted behind the worker, while yelling "I want that one."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

The the most orderly line I see is at the baozi place near my apartment cause the old lady screams at people who cut while shaking a big ladle.