Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

moths posted:

There's a secret bit.ly website that's URL is a bunch of social media symbols. Mantic has been bleeding out letters on each of those social media networks, so when they've all been collected the Dreadball big fans can go there and get... something first. It's kind of neat and fun, but I'm pretty sure it's just Dreadball stuff and I don't play Dreadball. (I know I should, and I probably will once Mars Attacks gets a team.)

e: Ok, I think Twilight Kin are going to look a lot better with the collars chopped - thanks. Fortunately I did the crossbow guys and it just looks like they're leaning in to get a better look at the shot.

And holy poo poo can you get some of the less-popular armies cheap if you look around.

I think the something will likely be the Dreadball Xtreme KS pre-launch info. But that is just a guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That seems very likely. I just wonder if the pirate map is just Dreadball or something bigger. There's a hints that it's Mantic's 2014 plan (allusions to second half, quarter four, etc.)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

One good idea to come out of the den of baseless whinging that is the Dakka Mantic rumours thread, an add on option in the DBX KS that gives you cards and rules to play the new hardcore DBX teams like the convicts as gangs in deadzone, making a not-Necromunda game.

I never played Necromunda, so I've no idea if that would work or appeal?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

NTRabbit posted:

I never played Necromunda, so I've no idea if that would work or appeal?

Not really, they are totally different.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

They wouldn't have guns

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Yeah, and no matter how hardened a convict, punching a Stage 1A in the face is never going to work.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw actual convicts in deadzone eventually but I imagine we'll see veermyn first

I imagine there'll be a deadzone expansion centred around veermyn eventually, possibly with another ks funding it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I was just thinking in the sense that they made a Deadzone crossover deck for the Martians and the humans in Mars Attacks! as a stretch goal and add on, it might be something they could explore as a similar thing for DBX teams. Not fully fledged factions or a place in the fluff, just a deck with a different way to play. I agree they'll add the Veermyn, Z'zor and maybe Nameless as proper parts of the game in an expansion.

It's no good for some serious fighting in a campaign when you're trying to get into it, but it sounds pretty cinematic and beerzone for your convict guard to punch the head off a stage 2a in a one off battle to me.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 7, 2014

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
All I'll say is that a) a plague outbreak is not the only reason to declare a Deadzone, and b) urban jungles are not the only environments that Deadzone scraps take place in :)

Also Q4 is going to be very interesting.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Daedleh confirms deadzone expansion in quarter 4 lets all speculate wildly

Spaceship interior terrain sets? Some sort of bizarre square forests?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Phoon posted:

Daedleh confirms deadzone expansion in quarter 4 lets all speculate wildly

Spaceship interior terrain sets? Some sort of bizarre square forests?

Veermyn cave system with them as the bad guys. Rebs desert base on a planet in open revolt that has strange cube shaped rocks.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

So it's a full scale Veer-Myn invasion of the Forge Fathers' retro Doctor Who quarry worlds. Confirmed here first!

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

I confirm nothing. Also my information (if I have any) might have come from before the hard plastics got sorted out. If I had heard anything for Q4 then I could see it get bumped for a Warpath release instead.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

moths posted:

So it's a full scale Veer-Myn invasion of the Forge Fathers' retro Doctor Who quarry worlds. Confirmed here first!

I would be insanely giddy with joy if this were ever to become a thing. :allears:

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
How are the $10 item crates? Was tempted to grab them since they look nice and fit the scenery, but I'd really just be paying for fancy versions of the tokens I got for free. Plus I heard some off things about the other tokens, but not sure if that included the item crates.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Had a first game of Deadzone with my Marauders today and goddamn I do not know how to roll dice. I would charge into a combat with every positive modifier and still end up with maybe 2 successes. My goblin sniper died in the first action of the game (getting bumrushed by a stage 3) and it all went downhill from there.

A few questions:
1) For fast models, Sprint is a short action. Does this mean you can Sprint and then Move to get into combat with an enemy 3 cubes away?
2) You have overwatch and get a regular success for an enemy's move action, where he moves into a cube and gets a free fight. Does your overwatch go off before or after the fight?
3) What happens when a frag blast hurls a model in a direction that would take him off the map?
4) After moving into an enemy's cube and having a fight, it seems you still have a short action left. The game says you can only fight or break away if you start a turn in the same cube as an enemy, but doesn't mention what happens if you move there after the start of your turn. Can you use your remaining short action to shoot or blaze away at your enemy point blank?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

thiswayliesmadness posted:

How are the $10 item crates? Was tempted to grab them since they look nice and fit the scenery, but I'd really just be paying for fancy versions of the tokens I got for free. Plus I heard some off things about the other tokens, but not sure if that included the item crates.

I'm painting mine up now - they are nice to look at, and can be used as extra cover in a cube, but beyond that, the tokens work just the same.

I mainly got them so I would have two sets of tokens - I kickstarted so have the paper map as well, so all I need to run 2 games at once now is some more objective tokens - which I can sub in.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Grey Hunter posted:

I'm painting mine up now - they are nice to look at, and can be used as extra cover in a cube, but beyond that, the tokens work just the same.

I mainly got them so I would have two sets of tokens - I kickstarted so have the paper map as well, so all I need to run 2 games at once now is some more objective tokens - which I can sub in.

Pretty much exactly the same for me, down to the painting :v:

Whether they're worth it or not depends on how much "proper" scenery impacts your enjoyment. I like them anyway, I got the extra acrylic counter sets as well.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I currently have my first completed batch of the terrain sitting in Dettol!

This is what happens when you run out of spraypaint early on, then find a colour you like better! itd a pain, but the different colours would annoy me. there was not other choice.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

AgentF posted:

A few questions:
1) For fast models, Sprint is a short action. Does this mean you can Sprint and then Move to get into combat with an enemy 3 cubes away?
2) You have overwatch and get a regular success for an enemy's move action, where he moves into a cube and gets a free fight. Does your overwatch go off before or after the fight?
3) What happens when a frag blast hurls a model in a direction that would take him off the map?
4) After moving into an enemy's cube and having a fight, it seems you still have a short action left. The game says you can only fight or break away if you start a turn in the same cube as an enemy, but doesn't mention what happens if you move there after the start of your turn. Can you use your remaining short action to shoot or blaze away at your enemy point blank?

1) This appears to be correct, sprint is a long action, and move is a short action. however both spaces of the sprint action have to be on the same level.

2) pg 31 "When an enemy model takes any action that BEGINS or ENDS within area LOS of the overwatching model then they may attempt to react" You can pick if you want to do it before, if you have LOS when the figure starts the action.

3) In a recent vid on Beasts of war one of the mantic guys said that they cant be blown off the map and you just re-roll the scatter location. see here https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Q_AJeMImL48#t=3014

4) Shoot and Blaze away cannot be used in the same space. Pg 29, blue box. "Weapons with a number for Range cannot be used in a Fight" All attacks at 0 range (same cube) are considered Fight or (F).

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 9, 2014

AgentF
May 11, 2009

LumberingTroll posted:

2) pg 31 "When an enemy model takes any action that BEGINS or ENDS within area LOS of the overwatching model then they may attempt to react" You can pick if you want to do it before, if you have LOS when the figure starts the action.

4) Shoot and Blaze away cannot be used in the same space. Pg 29, blue box. "Weapons with a number for Range cannot be used in a Fight" All attacks at 0 range (same cube) are considered Fight or (F).

2) Yeah, but the action that triggers the overwatch is the Move, not the free Fight. So if you choose to fire overwatch after the action, which is a Move action, does it then happen before or after the free Fight action?

4) I don't see where it says that any attack at 0 range is considered to be a Fight action. I have a ranged weapon and nothing says I can't target an enemy in the same cube as myself with a Blaze Away or Shoot.

Thanks for clarifying the other points.

AgentF fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 9, 2014

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

AgentF posted:

2) Yeah, but the action that triggers the overwatch is the Move, not the free Fight. So if you choose to fire overwatch after the action, which is a Move action, does it then happen before or after the free Fight action?

4) Yeah, but the model in the cube with the enemy certainly has an attack with a Range number. They've got a gun they can use.

Thanks for clarifying the other points.

2 If you have LOS when the move action started you get to shoot before the move happens. Otherwise you have to wait till the end of the action.

4 - I had jsut edited the post

"Anything between one cube and the weapon's listed range in cubes is called combat range" ie 0 is not a range for guns.

It also says right under the blue box "The target must be WITHIN the maximum range of the weapon used to take this action." 0 range or F is not within the range, it is below. the next line says "Shoot targets a single model and requires Point LOS. Other models in the SAME or intervening cubes are not Effected"

You cannot make ranged combat in the same cube. The active figure could clearly do a Fight action, thus getting two Fight, one for free, and the other as a long action. but its unclear if you could choose to Shoot against a different target (not int he same space as the active figure). I dont see anything that says you cannot shoot another target in LOS if there is an enemy model in your cube. It does say at the start of your activation you MAY fight an enemy in your cube though.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 9, 2014

AgentF
May 11, 2009
2) You only get to shoot before the move happens if you get a double success. If you get a regular success then you're shooting after the move. What I want to know is if you shoot before or after the free fight that can result from the move.

4) Shoot and Blaze Away only mention that the opponent must be within the minimum range of the weapon. I can't see any restrictions about Combat range at all. Also, you've used your first Short Action when entering the cube to begin the fight, so you can't then initiate another Fight as it is a Long Action.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

AgentF posted:

2) You only get to shoot before the move happens if you get a double success. If you get a regular success then you're shooting after the move. What I want to know is if you shoot before or after the free fight that can result from the move.

4) Shoot and Blaze Away only mention that the opponent must be within the minimum range of the weapon. I can't see any restrictions about Combat range at all. Also, you've used your first Short Action when entering the cube to begin the fight, so you can't then initiate another Fight as it is a Long Action.

For 2 I would say you shoot after the move, the free fight is a fight action, that comes after the move, which is what your reacting to.

For 4
"Anything between one cube and the weapon's listed range in cubes is called combat range" ie 0 is not a range for guns.

Thats on page 29, in the blue box. Right after that it says "The target must be within the maximum range of the weapon used to take this action"

So if for example a Commando Pyro has a range of 2 that means its range is 1 - 2 cubes. A range of 0 or the same cube he is in, is not within the range of the weapon.

On pg 29 under both Shoot and Blaze:
"The target MUST be WITHIN the maximum range of the weapon used to take this action." plus the line "Anything between one cube and the weapon's listed range in cubes is called combat range" should make it pretty clear, the range is 1 - 2 for the Pyros flamethrower.

When activating a unit you can do 2 short actions or 1 long and 1 short action. so in this situation Move (short) Fight (free) Fight (long)
Doing the fight twice in a row is only allowed when combined with a free action. pg 22 Free Actions.

Sorry Im not trying to be preachy, just trying to help you understand. Do you have the full rulebook? The quick start rules are missing a lot.

Edit:
Maybe these will help :D

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 9, 2014

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Thanks for the replies. I'm not exactly sold on either of them, but there are a few problems unresolved by the rulebook (it is only the first edition after all) and your arguments help to make it clear about what the designers probably intended.

I must point out that page 21 says "An active model can choose to make either a single long action or up to two short actions in their Turn."

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

AgentF posted:

Thanks for the replies. I'm not exactly sold on either of them, but there are a few problems unresolved by the rulebook (it is only the first edition after all) and your arguments help to make it clear about what the designers probably intended.

I must point out that page 21 says "An active model can choose to make either a single long action or up to two short actions in their Turn."

You are quite right! Not sure how I misread that one.

In the movement example then, you could only do a sprint and a move if the unit has the Fast attribute, which makes the Sprint a short action.

In the other example that must be why when moving into a space with an enemy you get a free Fight action, you couldn't take another one as its a long action. I don't see anything that says you shouldn't take a shoot action at another target that is outside of the same cube your active unit is in.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Hey, LumberingTroll! I'm watching the kickstarter, and I'm wondering if you would/could make Deadzone floor tiles. All we need is 3" lines in them, right?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Feeple posted:

Hey, LumberingTroll! I'm watching the kickstarter, and I'm wondering if you would/could make Deadzone floor tiles. All we need is 3" lines in them, right?

Which Kickstarter is that?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

LumberingTroll posted:

In the movement example then, you could only do a sprint and a move if the unit has the Fast attribute, which makes the Sprint a short action.

I thought you couldn't do a fast-sprint and a move in the same turn because they're both moves, but maybe I was reading intent rather than the actual wording.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

NTRabbit posted:

I thought you couldn't do a fast-sprint and a move in the same turn because they're both moves, but maybe I was reading intent rather than the actual wording.

The rules say you can can only do each action once unless its a free action, Sprint and Move are two different actions, but Sprint is usually a Long action.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

LumberingTroll posted:

Which Kickstarter is that?

Could've sworn you're running

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/firebucketgames/t5-tactical-topographical-table-top-terrain-tile-c?ref=banner

This KS for MDF terrain... sorry.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

One thing Mantic does need to do is upgrade their back end to match their pretty new site. Still relying on Google Docs for all their KS surveys, missing item claims, and other customer support is pretty amateur hour for a company that wants to be taken seriously as a bigger player.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

An interesting rumour I hope is true - claims it is a verified rumour of future plans anyway. The Warpath KS is Q4 14 or Q1 15, and planned 100% hard plastic with stretch goals out to $2.5mill already lined up.

It almost sounds like wishful thinking at this stage, but I'm gonna start saving now anyway.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

An interesting rumour I hope is true - claims it is a verified rumour of future plans anyway. The Warpath KS is Q4 14 or Q1 15, and planned 100% hard plastic with stretch goals out to $2.5mill already lined up.

It almost sounds like wishful thinking at this stage, but I'm gonna start saving now anyway.

Hoping for $2.5m. Stretch goals haven't been planned.
Currently planned to be 100% hard plastic (I have to make that distinction so that Dakka doesn't do another "BUT MANTIC PROMISED" whine)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Daedleh posted:

Hoping for $2.5m. Stretch goals haven't been planned.
Currently planned to be 100% hard plastic (I have to make that distinction so that Dakka doesn't do another "BUT MANTIC PROMISED" whine)

They probably will anyway!

I'd be getting a single army most likely, maybe a second depending on what they do and what it costs, and hopefully it runs the full gamut of infantry, heavy infantry, elites, heroes, ordnance, light and heavy vehicles, and even flyers. And that it allows me to easily blend the Forge Fathers I've already got in the 1 player battlebox and the ones I'm getting with DZ into the army, because Space Dorfs are rad :c00lbert:

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

Oh undoubtedly!

I'd expect at the absolute very least for the pledge rewards to reach Bloodmire Legion levels of sprues per £.

Also:

quote:

So.. the next few months looks like;
February - Deadzone Main launch, along with Plague and Enforcer boosters
March - Deadzone Rebs and Marauder boosters, Nexus Psi campaign book, Mercs.
April - Hellfire & Stone campaign for KoW, many new releases for Dwarfs & Abyssals. £100 bumper Terrain box
May onwards, isn't quite so cast in stone, but in broad terms - May is all about the Scenery and a scattering of KoW. June is the rest of the Scenery including ruins, etc and Deadzone heads toward Forge Fathers and Asterians. The rest of the year involves much ack-ack'ing, zombies and perhaps.. something Dreadball ish

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'm probably gonna go in small on KoW if I like one of the armies on offer. Still not hugely into DBX, unless the KS exclusives are good and there's a single team or a board/mat I like and can get cheaply.

I didn't back the first one so not quite understanding it, but if it matches up and I can put a good sized Warpath Army out for $150-200 or so, plus many more stretchgoals in comparison, I'll be happy. All hard plastic should make it a lot easier to throw in more and more free sprues once the mold for each type has been funded.

Also, both rulebooks in the fancy new Mantic Digital format included in it would be grand.

I should hunker down and get moving on my Deadzone painting then :v:

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

Ahahaha this is glorious

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/deadzone/product/raiders-of-nexus-psi-1-click-march-collection.html

Mantic are doing one click collections.

With 33% discount.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It's so rare to see a business strategy 90% predicated on trolling work so well!

KoW book finally arrived today. Wanna scratch build myself a castle now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

If they do make vehicles, hopefully the corporate/enforcer APCs/IFVs/tanks don't look like WW1 leftovers. :v: