Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Portals posted:

these are all great cats

currently eating the official food of college students, instant ramen

oh and wendigee you should put [img] tags around those links so we can see that cat better

i did that first but it broke the tables in the preview :X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Wendigee posted:

i did that first but it broke the tables in the preview :X

in that case you should use [timg] tags

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

amarantinesky fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 4, 2014

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cat ladies chatting thread.

MY BF LESLIE SAID
Jun 9, 2006

by Lowtax
Hello.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Dogs are better imho

Being allergic to cat does not affect my opinion tho, only reinforces it

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

dogs suck!

[fixed pix of tacticat thanks Portals]

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

GNU Order posted:

Dogs are better imho
Being allergic to cat does not affect my opinion tho, only reinforces it
we are friends now

i have a spot in my heart for all creatures though

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Avshalom posted:

we are friends now

i have a spot in my heart for all creatures though

Same, except for those wierd pale-pink fish with the big nose and gross mouth

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What about naked mole rat?

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

poopkitty posted:

We lost power last night and the 1-2" of snow we were supposed to get turned into 12" and it was freaking cold and no heat so me and the kids all slept in my bed (until my son deuced out because he's 12 but 5'6" and 200 pounds and used to a big bed by himself) so my seven year old was in my face at 0630 to wake me up and I have to go buy food today and they don't plow the roads (because it only snows like, once a year and usually never sticks.) This is not the best day. I think I might do my taxes though, after I walk to the store.

Agh, that sucks. Only snowing once a year and it not sticking isn't a good reason to not have any anti-snow equipment. Or rent it or something.
Also, agh, another twelve-year-old who is taller than me. Why yes, I do have a bit of a complex.

This is my fiance's mom's cat. She died in a very hilariously awful way. Natural causes, nothing gory, but she had a stroke while running around at the top of the stairs, and kind of.. bounced down the stairs. And slid across the floor a little bit. When fiances' mom called me to come and get her and the cat and take them to the vet, I had to mute the phone so she wouldn't hear my choked, horrified laughter. I felt so bad, but I kept picturing this humongous fat cat (that was regularly fed dry food with bacon grease poured over it) going BOING CLUNK THUMP TROMP WHAMPH and it struck me as hilarious.

Karmic retribution for my laughter came a half an hour later, when navigating rush-hour traffic next to a bawling woman and a pitiful, weak cat meowing in pain. She was kind of butt, but did not deserve a single second of the pain & confusion she was in :smith:

Here she is resolutely not giving up her sunny spot, even though someone fell asleep basically on top of her:

Here she is looking elegant:

And here she is looking not-so-elegant:

I also found a few more pictures of very very tiny Katya (who we are not allowing to get fat)

Kitty grin.

Sticking her tongue out.

This one, I have no idea. There was a bag for scarves and gloves and poo poo and some clothes hanging on a hook, near her cat tree. I woke up to frantic "MAO MAO MAO," and found her stuck face-first into the bag, with one back leg and her tail sticking out. I quickly re-positioned her to make sure she could breathe, and then realized I would be passing up a grand opportunity if I didn't get a pic.

No pictures of armed kitties, unfortunately.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Angela Christine posted:

What about naked mole rat?
those things are awesome

did you know they're eusocial? like their physiological wellbeing depends on them being in a colony surrounded by other naked mole rats, like a bunch of weird little bald codependent telepaths. if they don't have friends around them, they get sick and die :(

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Avshalom posted:

those things are awesome

did you know they're eusocial? like their physiological wellbeing depends on them being in a colony surrounded by other naked mole rats, like a bunch of weird little bald codependent telepaths. if they don't have friends around them, they get sick and die :(

Not good pets then. Oh well.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Actually there is a dispersal caste of naked mole rats. They can and do live independently until a new colony is found.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
when doing the tunic + tights thing what's a good color combination

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Sabel posted:

whatever (except brown) + black

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
hey pick did you see noora raty play college hockey?

she was really good in finland's first olympic game.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

amarantinesky posted:

I actually have that book on my bookshelf but haven't read it yet. I did read another book by that author though (unfortunately titled The Seduction of Water so it sounds like a terrible romance novel) and it was not bad. Like you said, it's kind of mediocre but in an enjoyable way.

I tutor high school students so I read some of the YA books they recommend to me so we can chat about them. Most of them are really awful. I could maybe deal with bad writing or incredibly predictable plots but the combination is frustrating. I usually finish them anyway but it's generally not worth it.

My guilty pleasure is definitely memoirs. Specifically, memoirs about people who are crazy or have crazy families at least. I'm not really comfortable talking to a real person about some of my experiences (and usually don't know anyone who shares that problem anyway) so it's nice to know I'm not alone. :) I try to balance it out with slightly more literary books though.

I love all the cat and occasional dog pictures. :3:

You would be really into this podcast, probably: The Mental Illness Happy Hour. It's really enjoyable and has also helped me through tough times.

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

amarantinesky fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 4, 2014

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I just can't get over those eyes. Black kitty + green eyes like that seems like the kind of thing I'd only see in animation.

Cat ladythread is making me happy :3:

Though it could use more dogs and other animals

amarantinesky posted:

I like charcoal sweater + black leggings or whatever because I'm boring (that's actually what I'm wearing now except I'm wearing not-sloppy yoga pants). I also like green-blues ranging from pastel to teal and I think those colors are nice on most people. Personally I'd avoid anything too bright and neon because I don't want to look like an 80s exercise video but I think you should just pick colors you like. :)

Do you mean pastel to teal leggings? I only really wear black leggings with tunics because I'm also never sure other colour combinations look ok, whereas the black seems to go with everything.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

amarantinesky posted:

I like charcoal sweater + black leggings or whatever because I'm boring (that's actually what I'm wearing now except I'm wearing not-sloppy yoga pants). I also like green-blues ranging from pastel to teal and I think those colors are nice on most people. Personally I'd avoid anything too bright and neon because I don't want to look like an 80s exercise video but I think you should just pick colors you like. :)
I went with this in the end with wine bottoms

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

toe knee hand posted:

hey pick did you see noora raty play college hockey?

she was really good in finland's first olympic game.

she is probably the best female goalie in the world and we miss her every day :(

I also felt really bad she had to play against amanda kessel (USA), they were always such bros on the gophers

e: yeah I went to shittons of their games (including last year's Frozen Four :black101:) and she was always, always on the ice lol

breaking records constantly

Pick fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 9, 2014

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

amarantinesky fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 4, 2014

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

amarantinesky fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 4, 2014

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Bf and I just opened a bottle of prosecco because we ran out of wine and we're watching Always Sunny and he's being better at Flappy Birds than me, the wanker.

He doesn't like cattes ladythread, should I sever? Here is him with my fat cat looking super uncomfortable.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Enfys posted:

bonus picture:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Shannonmcn posted:

Bf and I just opened a bottle of prosecco because we ran out of wine and we're watching Always Sunny and he's being better at Flappy Birds than me, the wanker.

He doesn't like cattes ladythread, should I sever? Here is him with my fat cat looking super uncomfortable.

he's got that good irish boyish face that makes him very high on boneability

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

me irl

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Pick posted:

he's got that good irish boyish face that makes him very high on boneability

So boneable. He is also polite to waiters and makes good risotto. Suck it ladies.

Also I want Avshaloms dog to lick my ears. And I'll provide biscuits.

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

amarantinesky posted:

Is being polite to waiters uncommon? :(

I always tip well, but I tip in one dollar bills that I wad up individually and throw on the floor.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

This dog needs a cape.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

amarantinesky posted:

Is being polite to waiters uncommon? :(

Sometimes. I've been out with insufferable people who don't tip. I know in the UK I don't need to tip so people can live but 10% is still a minimum for me.

To top off the :siren: my boyfriend :siren: posts he was very good to my aunties dog and gave her bit of mince pie at Christmas even though she bit him the first time they met (she is very protective of "her children" when my uncle is gone).

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

poopkitty posted:

This dog needs a cape.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
My noble hound

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
Catte story: Every day when we wake up there are many mouse toys right outside of our bedroom door. We put them downstairs about an hour ago and one cat has already brought 3 back up and put them back to their rightful spot outside of our door. She meows really loudly when she does it, too.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

detectivemonkey posted:

Catte story: Every day when we wake up there are many mouse toys right outside of our bedroom door. We put them downstairs about an hour ago and one cat has already brought 3 back up and put them back to their rightful spot outside of our door. She meows really loudly when she does it, too.

She thinks you are dumb and don't know how to hunt and she's trying to teach you with these easy dead ones that are always lying around, but do you ever pounce on them NO YOU DON'T how much more clear is she supposed to spell this out for you?

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Sabel posted:

Here's my formula.
*"Teggings" = tights/leggings, I don't want to type that out fifteen times.

'statement' teggings -> very toned down everything else. Black or grey tunic, tunics with minor detailing that match the colors or a color of the statement thing are okay, as are accessories that match the same way. Not too much thought,

Teggings that are really wild and colorful -> Just do black and/or grey, and let the teggings be the centerpiece.

Teggings that are somewhat colorful/printed with a small, inconspicuous pattern, but definitely not statement, and could be worn to anywhere that's casual, semi-casual, mildly dressy, or moderately dressy -> Black or grey or both always works, and can make some teggings (like moderately saturated plum tights) look much more dressy. Tunics with some brighter or more saturated color to them are okay as well. Color-block stuff can look awesome with colored teggings, and black teggins with a print.

Black or grey teggins -> black or grey tunic for a dressier look, any drat color you want tunic for a less-formal look.

I hope that was helpful, I kind of tread the line between "wearing whatever I want" and "making sure it looks good."

amarantinesky posted:

-snip-

I've theorized that the constant onslaught of winter weather has made everyone here horrible.
-snip-
I wish you could send personalized messages to other cars so you could say, "I'm honking because you made a left turn on a red light and almost killed me, do you even know how to drive?" Instead of just using your horn and getting everyone worked up.

I think crappy weather really does bring out the jerk in people. We went 40-some days with no more snow than a light dusting that blew around and was gone in a day, and then we suddenly got roughly seven inches in a few hours. People were driving like complete assholes. Some jerk towing a large piece of equipment with the biggest regular truck possible (as opposed to trucks specifically for work and towing things) pulled right out in front of me, I had to slow down fast to avoid hitting him. I use my horn maybe twice in three years, usually, but I honked my rear end off at him. Rude. Also dangerous.

Ever since I started driving, I've dreamed of having LED-light displays on the front and back of all cars, that can be operated by voice alone. A nice person slowed down/stopped so you could get off of a side road with no light during rush hour? Just say "Computer, display message number 3 on back unit for fifteen seconds." Message #3 would say 'Thank you!' and they could read it as they pulled up behind me after I turned. Someone driving too close to the back bumper? Just say "Computer, display following custom message on back unit for next mile," -computer beeps to show it's listening for custom message- "G E T space O F F space M Y space A S S comma space Y O U space F U C K T A R D period."

Messages would be pre-programable through a little keyboard, but the ability to add custom messages as needed would be extra important.

Enfys posted:

I just can't get over those eyes. Black kitty + green eyes like that seems like the kind of thing I'd only see in animation.

It's possible she escaped from a cartoon. I found her while out walking, so I can't rule it out.

Enfys posted:

Shannonmcn posted:

Immersion therapy is the answer. Also, tell him cats usually go for the person who isn't looking at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
I should have asked this earlier and the fashion thread doesn't like me because I'm not a size 4 and OMG fashion is not for fatties. (I may be over exaggerating, because yay social anxiety.)

I have this dress to wear on Valentines to a swanky restaurant. http://www.seductivecollection.com/dresses/sweater-dresses/black-v-neck-sweater-dress

I also have these shoes/booties. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H56IA3G/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3POLDLK9VRYHN&coliid=I262KR5LUETB8S

Will gold tights work? Will black tights work? Is it a terrible idea to wear cream booties with a black dress?

I'm also carrying this bag. In Leopard. I LOVE it. http://www.bongenie-grieder.ch/de/shopping-bags/carol-j-handtasche-aus-leder-mit-leopard-print-1549.html#.UvcQIRahZlI

• Locked thread