Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Hello guys, need some advice : after a couple of pretty successful games as an Irish minor becoming King of Ireland, I thought I was ready to pass on to something bigger: being italian, I thought I'd give a shot at my home turf, with the intent of creating the Kingdom of Italy someday.

I made myself a genius, ambitious, grey eminence character with the Ruler Designer, substituted it to Duchess Matilda of Tuscany, and promptly found a nice genius wife to start my dynasty of awesome geniality.

One year later, my wife finally gets pregnant and factions are rebelling all over the HRE but I wanted no part of it; I was, after all, chancellor for the Kaiser and in good relationship with him.

Not more than two months after that, the Kaiser imprisoned me for no apparent reason and executed me. Game Over. I wasn't plotting, didn't join a faction or anything...

Is this to be expected? Did I do something wrong there (I am inclined to blame the Ambitious trait, but that'd be a pretty big "gently caress you" from the game), or am I spoiled by "easy mode" Irish dynasties? I'm tired of the Irish names damnit.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

DStecks posted:

Though, and I'm not trying to sound accusatory, why didn't the special government systems come up when you did Legacy of Rome? That seems like it would have been the right time to do it, if you were ever going to.

I'm not entirely sure, I don't work on CK myself, but I think LoR was largely an experiment. DLC was new to us back then, so it was trying adding new general features like factions/military stuff in a smaller DLC rather than unlocking new playables like SoI had done. Because just new tools was a bit soulless and BYZ was a bit bare, they got some extra flavour and the package was given a Rome theme, but the focus was never primarily on revamping BYZ. And the problem with doing a big DLC focused on BYZ is that it would not be adding anything new per say, just redoing a single country that has been present since release, which would be a tough sell I think.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

TorakFade posted:

Hello guys, need some advice : after a couple of pretty successful games as an Irish minor becoming King of Ireland, I thought I was ready to pass on to something bigger: being italian, I thought I'd give a shot at my home turf, with the intent of creating the Kingdom of Italy someday.

I made myself a genius, ambitious, grey eminence character with the Ruler Designer, substituted it to Duchess Matilda of Tuscany, and promptly found a nice genius wife to start my dynasty of awesome geniality.

One year later, my wife finally gets pregnant and factions are rebelling all over the HRE but I wanted no part of it; I was, after all, chancellor for the Kaiser and in good relationship with him.

Not more than two months after that, the Kaiser imprisoned me for no apparent reason and executed me. Game Over. I wasn't plotting, didn't join a faction or anything...

Is this to be expected? Did I do something wrong there (I am inclined to blame the Ambitious trait, but that'd be a pretty big "gently caress you" from the game), or am I spoiled by "easy mode" Irish dynasties? I'm tired of the Irish names damnit.

What was his opinion of you, and your opinion of him? If he hated you, or your character was a huge jerk to him (pretty likely with Ambitious, since it's a -50 to relations with your liege), he might be more open to nipping you in the bud. Also, what were the Kaiser's traits? AI characters' behavior is influenced by their traits, so characters with negative traits like wroth, arbitrary, greedy, or lunatic will be noticeably more likely to be huge assholes or do things that make no apparent sense. I suspect this might be the cause if the HRE was falling apart that quickly, because AI characters with those types of traits tend to be really good at pissing off their vassals.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

And the problem with doing a big DLC focused on BYZ is that it would not be adding anything new per say, just redoing a single country that has been present since release, which would be a tough sell I think.

It's the Byzantine Empire, though. If you released new skins and flags for :10bux:, people'd still swallow it up like ambrosia.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Make a serbia DLC, watch the cash roll in.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RagnarokAngel posted:

Make a serbia DLC, watch the cash roll in.

Cash or hate letters.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

computer parts posted:

Cash or hate letters.

Hate letters for not getting things exactly right, and for not making Great Serbia powerful enough. They will still all buy it.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Main Paineframe posted:

What was his opinion of you, and your opinion of him? If he hated you, or your character was a huge jerk to him (pretty likely with Ambitious, since it's a -50 to relations with your liege), he might be more open to nipping you in the bud. Also, what were the Kaiser's traits? AI characters' behavior is influenced by their traits, so characters with negative traits like wroth, arbitrary, greedy, or lunatic will be noticeably more likely to be huge assholes or do things that make no apparent sense. I suspect this might be the cause if the HRE was falling apart that quickly, because AI characters with those types of traits tend to be really good at pissing off their vassals.

That's the fact, relations were normal... not really high, but not in the red, something like +10/+20. I don't remember his traits (I ragequit after my tyrannical execution), but I think he was indeed arbitrary. Also since I gamed the ruler designer giving me shortlived bad traits to counterbalance the awesome ones, I was a very good ruler and the Kaiser must've felt threatened. I guess I'd have done the same if our roles were reveresed...

Oh well, lesson learned, DO NOT create an ambitious, awesome vassal to one of the superpowers of the time; they will crush you like a bug.

Incidentally, could you suggest me some start that isn't Ireland but is not prone to getting utterly crushed in the first five years?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

TorakFade posted:

That's the fact, relations were normal... not really high, but not in the red, something like +10/+20. I don't remember his traits (I ragequit after my tyrannical execution), but I think he was indeed arbitrary. Also since I gamed the ruler designer giving me shortlived bad traits to counterbalance the awesome ones, I was a very good ruler and the Kaiser must've felt threatened. I guess I'd have done the same if our roles were reveresed...

Oh well, lesson learned, DO NOT create an ambitious, awesome vassal to one of the superpowers of the time; they will crush you like a bug.

Incidentally, could you suggest me some start that isn't Ireland but is not prone to getting utterly crushed in the first five years?

Did you have excommunicated? That would let the Kaiser imprison you with no tyranny, and I bet that since you had no kids and were a freshly created ruler designer character the Kaiser was your heir. So it would make sense for him to have you killed.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Mid continent small starts always seem to hinge on getting a claim fabricated on your similar sized neighbor before they do the same. Then it comes down to whether your allies will come in time versus his allies.

Its kind of funny, two counts sniping at each other end up with continent wide war between kings. Just so one count can get one more county.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

TorakFade posted:

Old Gods Start, Magyars. They're one of the 'Interesting Characters' for the time period.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

RagnarokAngel posted:

So I noticed since iron man was patched in, CK2 doesn't seem to like to have its files changed. I tried to change the ruler designer cost to 0 like I do when a new patch comes out (I like broken rulers, sue me) and although i figured I couldn't play Ironman the game just crashes entirely instead. Is there a mod for this?

Also looking for a mod to remove Basche requirement from cognatic for the same reason.

Did you edit defines.lua in notepad? If so, it doesn't like that because notepad encodes it weirdly and that will make it crash. Grab & use notepad++ instead.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Do we know yet what people who don't buy the India DLC can expect to get, in terms of changes? This talk of improved performance really makes me feel like getting the engine improvements without the big chunk of new land and people to simulate would be the best possible outcome for me, since I tend to get annoyed at the slowdown after one or two hundred years.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Strudel Man posted:

Do we know yet what people who don't buy the India DLC get, in terms of changes? This talk of improved performance really makes me feel like getting the engine improvements without the big chunk of new land and people to simulate would be the best possible outcome for me, since I tend to get annoyed at the slowdown after one or two hundred years.

I'm pretty sure they've said everybody gets the map expansion.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Dallan Invictus posted:

I'm pretty sure they've said everybody gets the map expansion.
gently caress. :( I guess I couldn't really expect anything else, but still.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
We will be also getting a for-reals decadence fix, and the Rajahs expansion will also add more flavor to East Africa as well as the Ethiopian Jewish Kingdom of Semien into the base game.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Spiderfist Island posted:

We will be also getting a for-reals decadence fix, and the Rajahs expansion will also add more flavor to East Africa as well as the Ethiopian Jewish Kingdom of Semien into the base game.
Yeah, eh. That doesn't really do much for me. Being able to play to 1466 or whatever the end date actually is would be worth a lot more.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah, eh. That doesn't really do much for me. Being able to play to 1466 or whatever the end date actually is would be worth a lot more.

I only played to the end date once in my Roman Empire game to get it done, and I never did it again. I am not sorry. If I have a new idea to try out and I achieved all I wanted in my current game I just start new. You don't need to play to the end if you don't want to, or your game becomes too slow.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Torrannor posted:

I only played to the end date once in my Roman Empire game to get it done, and I never did it again. I am not sorry. If I have a new idea to try out and I achieved all I wanted in my current game I just start new. You don't need to play to the end if you don't want to, or your game becomes too slow.
Well, obviously you don't have to. But the problem comes when you want to play further, at least, if not necessarily to the end, but the game is running too slowly to bear.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I have a bad computer and haven ever had issues with performance, unless I decided to go full north korea and held 300+ titles on my own.

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.

Spiderfist Island posted:

Will the decadence fix come with the next expansion/patch? I've checked the news about it pretty closely but couldn't find that, I would be very happy if it were to happen though!

Never played a muslim long because I am usually RP'ing and trying to create a big, important dynasty. Killing nearly all of your family members in order to survive another 30 years just seems "wrong" to me. Hope this gets reworked.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

marktheando posted:

Did you have excommunicated? That would let the Kaiser imprison you with no tyranny, and I bet that since you had no kids and were a freshly created ruler designer character the Kaiser was your heir. So it would make sense for him to have you killed.

I had it, but eliminated it on day one before unpausing by bribing the Pope, so I thought it'd be long forgotten in one year and a half. That's how poo poo worked back then, right?

fool_of_sound posted:

Old Gods Start, Magyars. They're one of the 'Interesting Characters' for the time period.

Will try, thanks!

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 9, 2014

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

I'm not entirely sure, I don't work on CK myself, but I think LoR was largely an experiment. DLC was new to us back then, so it was trying adding new general features like factions/military stuff in a smaller DLC rather than unlocking new playables like SoI had done. Because just new tools was a bit soulless and BYZ was a bit bare, they got some extra flavour and the package was given a Rome theme, but the focus was never primarily on revamping BYZ. And the problem with doing a big DLC focused on BYZ is that it would not be adding anything new per say, just redoing a single country that has been present since release, which would be a tough sell I think.

That's why you should add China with mechanics for that kind of Empire, and update BYZ to be similar at the same time.

People like Byzantium so the combination of a more interesting Byzantium and a bigger map with more playable area would probably make people jump for it. That said it'd also probably take a lot of work.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Excelzior posted:

You can only use the Seize County CB AFTER Seizing a City in that county (and dealing with the Truce timer in between)

Assuming you're not talking about being a norse pagan, who can use the Coastal Invasion CB to take any coastal, single-county piece of land.

Thanks, this helped a lot.

Out of curiosity, what's the deal with Galleys? I can build all sorts of buildings to increase the number of them, but as far as I can tell they're still only used to shuttle guys around. I understood them in EU4, where they could increase trade and blockade stuff, but do I actually _need_ them for anything?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

JerikTelorian posted:

Thanks, this helped a lot.

Out of curiosity, what's the deal with Galleys? I can build all sorts of buildings to increase the number of them, but as far as I can tell they're still only used to shuttle guys around. I understood them in EU4, where they could increase trade and blockade stuff, but do I actually _need_ them for anything?

To transport guys. :v:

Ships in CK2 are basically super-fast super-safe cars for the sea.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Serperoth posted:

This led to the arbitrarily-imposed 50% morale penalty imposed on troops upon disembarking to curb the "Boat bombing" strategy.

Of course the AI is just as incapable of properly using boats as before and will now happily launch numerically-superior troops from its boat directly into a meatgrinder.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

KittyEmpress posted:

I have a bad computer and haven ever had issues with performance, unless I decided to go full north korea and held 300+ titles on my own.
Huh. That's weird in two ways. One, because I have a relatively decent computer, and it definitely becomes unplayable for me after a few hundred years, and two, because I can't imagine why holding a bunch of titles on your own would slow things down. If anything, I'd expect that to improve performance, as it slightly reduces the number of independent realms that the AI has to control.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Serperoth posted:

And to think that they used to be even faster, even safer and without the morale penalty.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I'm fine with ships being super simple because I like these kind of games but stuff like EU is overwhelming. Not having to micromanage things to play normally (ie not going for full conquest) is a really big selling point for CK.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Allyn posted:

Did you edit defines.lua in notepad? If so, it doesn't like that because notepad encodes it weirdly and that will make it crash. Grab & use notepad++ instead.

Odd, i could in the past. Ill give that a shot though.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

TorakFade posted:

That's what you get for thinking ANY other character in CK2 is your friend.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Does anyone know how to prevent vassals fighting each other or am I hosed? I am doing the mongol achiev and have the entirety of Eastern Europe and the ERE under my control, but before I left NK mode I forgot to change the succession law to Primo and now I can't because my vassals keep revoking titles and getting into wars I can't stop.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Does anyone know how to prevent vassals fighting each other or am I hosed?
Well, since you're trying to change the succession law I'm guessing "wait until you can get Crown Authority up to medium" isn't a good answer, so... start stabbing motherfuckers who are at war? You can't tell them to stop or join one side or anything direct.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Well, since you're trying to change the succession law I'm guessing "wait until you can get Crown Authority up to medium" isn't a good answer, so... start stabbing motherfuckers who are at war? You can't tell them to stop or join one side or anything direct.

I was kind of hoping that there was a secret yet obvious trick that I hadn't learned of in 500 hours of play.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

CapnAndy posted:

This tactic was the only way I could ever have peace in my realm. Not thinking about doing this is how I ended up 300 years in and still on Gavelkind.

Having made the change to elective though, I nearly lost everything, since I had finally arranged to have an English heir, but he was too young for anyone to vote for him in the Empire.

I set my vote anyway, assuming he'd grow up by the time my Emperor died.

Cue two generations of unrest, since the Kingdoms and Empire went to different people.

I only held the empire together by having the most advanced demesne in the world and stabbing the leaders of independence revolts; 20 years before the territory becomes de-jure part of the Empire.

In this time the English heir had his titles usurped and died of illness.

3 generations later I finally have another English son, and this time people are voting for him as the Emperor, but getting back the Kingdoms of England and Brittany is proving difficult.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
How is CK2+ after the expansion? Is it still the top mod for increased difficulty and more sophistication?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
The most vocal goon opinion would be that CK2+ is still pretty decent in spite of all the poo poo that the successor team have added. If you liked CK2+ before you'll either begrudgingly like the new CK2+ (because it's got all the good stuff that Wiz put in) or really love it (because it's got a bunch of other stuff that the new put in). IMO, now that it has its own subforum/ghetto it's only gonna go downhill and a lot of the more interesting sub-mods (VIET comes to mind) are being made for PB/the HIST project or whatever it's called, but not CK2+. e: Actually, on reviewing the mod forum, cross-compatibility between the major mod projects and the smaller mod projects is just not happening unless you do it yourself for most of the smaller mods, so:

I'd say give it a shot, though.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 10, 2014

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

So, I had a revolt that interrupted my nerge, during which my Khan died and his baby inherited. Now I'm having neverending nerge events and all my male vassals keep getting wounded or shooting deer before they're allowed etc, similar to the never ending tournament bug of old. Anyone else encountered this? Will it end when I reach adulthood?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I was kind of hoping that there was a secret yet obvious trick that I hadn't learned of in 500 hours of play.
End Your War would be a nice button to have on the Diplomacy menu, wouldn't it :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Check out this one weird trick to stop vassals' wars, discovered by a local Anglo-Saxon king! Dukes hate him!

• Locked thread