Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Chocolate Teapot posted:

It's a bug where you can't warp to certain planet biomes; you need to download this mod to fix it, for now.

Worked like a charm, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Just downloaded the Advanced Workstations, Enhanced Exploration and Mining Laser mod, and I can't find where the Bulk Refinery is supposed to be. I went back and re-activated the various tier upgrades to get the industrial smelter and the drones, so I don't think it's that. Any help?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Last two Tyi's tweets, :wtf:

quote:

Tiy ‏@Tiyuri 12m
Delaying development to deal with a sexual predator targeting children. Just in case anyone is wondering

Tiy ‏@Tiyuri 40s
People asking for elaboration, we're working with authorities to deal with someone that's been using the community to target kids

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I see Aatrek has been violating the terms of his parole.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

canepazzo posted:

Probably the pony mod.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Well lets hope the starbound predator doesnt read twitter or the trail is about to go mighty cold.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

canepazzo posted:

From Reddit and the official forums:

Developer (Molly)-ologist posted:

Cross-posting my response from the forums:
"The person in question has been permanently banned and we're looking into how to proceed re: involving authorities. To clarify, it's not a serious "We're delaying the game!" sort of deal, but situations like this do distract from actual game development.
There are a lot of underage people on our forums. If someone is messaging you in private in a way that's making you uncomfortable (especially in a sexual way), you can always message me or another staff member and we'll look into it and handle it."

This community is shaping up to be just great.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Schwack posted:

This community is shaping up to be just great.

Most gaming communities are horribly lovely. Why should Starbound's be any different?

Edit: At least it's not the DOTA community.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I would love to see some EE mod coordinates posted! I can't find anything cool.

I'll start:

EE -97506366 -38368155 Gamma Hyi 042 VI a - Large Floran village mid-far to the left, found a bonehammer and misc guns.

mega dy fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 10, 2014

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

RandomBlue posted:

At least it's not the DOTA community.

Does DOTA have a lot of pedophiles?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Should ask the TVTropes people if he was one of the staff. Though I suspect 'Attempted Paedophile' is not a particularly narrowing criteria, at least it's an effort expended.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Kly posted:

No. It's actually pretty far ahead of the Starbound community if that's the thing being used to measure the two.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Kly posted:

DOTA is essentially angry teens and adults who act like angry teens, but I don't know of any infamous pedophile activity.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
You guys are kind of overblowing it, it was only one guy and he was caught him pretty quick. It's not like we have 50 or so pedophiles messaging random underage users on the Starbound Forums. Also, doesn't seem like any of the staff/forum moderators are pedophiles, so y'know. Could be worse.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Hey is there a mod race where everyone is little kids

Y'know

Just asking

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Stop talking about child molesters and start installing rad mods

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!
I am pretty sure that this sort of thing happens constantly in every single online game. The difference here is that Blizzard would never make the huge mistake of posting "*Raid content delayed while we deal with child sexual predators..." in their twitter feed or anywhere else. It's a really fast and cool way of giving your game a horrible reputation and any company with actual PR people would have never, ever mentioned it. What made it even worse was that the way it was posted was worded to draw attention without explaining anything, and then they made a bunch of followup posts that were written the same way.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

boo_radley posted:

Before I expanded that last image, I thought it was a crazy time warp or something.

I also love those roomba robots (only seen em once in game so far, but they were friendly :allears: )

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

Hoyt Hoyterson posted:

I am pretty sure that this sort of thing happens constantly in every single online game. The difference here is that Blizzard would never make the huge mistake of posting "*Raid content delayed while we deal with child sexual predators..." in their twitter feed or anywhere else. It's a really fast and cool way of giving your game a horrible reputation and any company with actual PR people would have never, ever mentioned it. What made it even worse was that the way it was posted was worded to draw attention without explaining anything, and then they made a bunch of followup posts that were written the same way.

They said in another post they wanted to make a deal out of it so pedos know the starbound community is a No-Fly zone. You're right it probably does happen in every single online game, but nobody is aware of it because it gets swept under the rug.
Children being exploited getting swept under the rug I wonder if that could have any bad results?

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!
They don't sweep it under the rug, they handle it with the police and don't post several weird comments about it on Twitter. Sometimes they release a broad statement afterward reminding people that this sort of behavior won't fly in their game without cryptically bringing up a particular incident.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Hoyt Hoyterson posted:

They don't sweep it under the rug, they handle it with the police and don't post several weird comments about it on Twitter. Sometimes they release a broad statement afterward reminding people that this sort of behavior won't fly in their game without cryptically bringing up a particular incident.

Yeah and that is them and this is Chucklefish. Don't like it I don't know gently caress off then. I'm glad those posts were made because it let me know they did/ do something about this. Blizzard also wouldn't say poo poo like that because 1/3 the pop would probably log off and never log back in.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.

MeinGott posted:

Yeah and that is them and this is Chucklefish. Don't like it I don't know gently caress off then. I'm glad those posts were made because it let me know they did/ do something about this. Blizzard also wouldn't say poo poo like that because 1/3 the pop would probably log off and never log back in.

For fear of being caught?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

It's kind of a thing that lots of internet forum communities DON'T actually moderate against sexual predators effectively, and that tends to make people fail to report abuse, so I'm glad that Chucklefish are doing something about it and saying so.

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!

MeinGott posted:

Don't like it I don't know gently caress off then.

Well that's a bit of an overreaction to me talking about them posting things before thinking them through, but alright! I've changed my mind, and now that they have announced on Twitter that they are against illegal behavior the problem will go away. Also no one will mentally connect their game with child predators.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MeinGott posted:

Yeah idiot quit playing Starbound and go away because I disagree with you!!

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
Definitely one of the things that contributes to predators being difficult to prosecute is that no one talks about it. By advertising it, other people have the opportunity to come forward with their own experiences.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Hoyt Hoyterson posted:

Well that's a bit of an overreaction to me talking about them posting things before thinking them through, but alright! I've changed my mind, and now that they have announced on Twitter that they are against illegal behavior the problem will go away. Also no one will mentally connect their game with child predators.

Man, this Hoyt Hoyterson dude sure likes talking about child predators and illegal behavior a lot.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Hoyt Hoyterson posted:

cryptically bringing up a particular incident.

I think they're being as open about it as they legally can be, criminal charges being involved and all.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Nothing in this world can take the place of a power rack
On a whim I've tried building on two different planets and in both instances meteor showers (a series of smaller meteors the first time, comically oversized ones the next time) rolled in and destroyed my work. Is there a chance this will occur on every planet or have I just struck the tier 1 forest planet lottery?

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Brownview posted:

On a whim I've tried building on two different planets and in both instances meteor showers (a series of smaller meteors the first time, comically oversized ones the next time) rolled in and destroyed my work. Is there a chance this will occur on every planet or have I just struck the tier 1 forest planet lottery?

Each planet has only one type of weather so just build on planets on which you've seen the rain fall and you'll be safe.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Desperate Character posted:

Each planet has only one type of weather so just build on planets on which you've seen the rain fall and you'll be safe.

Brings new meaning to the song "Have You Ever Seen The Rain?"

Also, reiterating my question from a while back, who do folks host servers through that are reasonable? I'm trying Multiplay right now but we're getting stutter issues with 3 people online at once, much less the 12 person capacity that was their minimum slot size. :(

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

Mo_Steel posted:

Also, reiterating my question from a while back, who do folks host servers through that are reasonable? I'm trying Multiplay right now but we're getting stutter issues with 3 people online at once, much less the 12 person capacity that was their minimum slot size. :(

As far as I know this latest release has a lot of multiplayer problems. Bartwe or someone is hosting the occasional test server and stress testing the poo poo out of it. I would expect things to improve massively with the next update.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Brownview posted:

You're just having bad luck. That said, building on a meteor shower world isn't that bad as long as you make sure to build really thick ceilings on everything.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Main Paineframe posted:

You're just having bad luck. That said, building on a meteor shower world isn't that bad as long as you make sure to build really thick ceilings on everything.

My first home was a meteor shower world. I built a ceiling up quite high, and it was thick.... but the meteors spawned UNDERNEATH it. I figures out you need back walls to prevent weather, and the ceiling has to be at the top of the screen and no higher (unless you have a full back wall all the way up)

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Mo_Steel posted:

Brings new meaning to the song "Have You Ever Seen The Rain?"

I'm hosting a Starbound server on a <50$/mo server from these guys: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3508988

Mine has a bunch of other poo poo going on too so you could probably get a cheaper one and do the same. You'll want some basic Linux command line knowledge but I know there are step-by-step guides for installing Steam, installing Starbound and starting the server up out there.

However, they seem to take customer service to the extreme and I bet they would set up your Starbound server for you.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The first planet I spawned on had an asteroid land on the little bunker I made and blow me and everything down to about a 25 square depth into smithereens, it was loving amazing

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

boo_radley posted:

Running on my little server jus saying~ http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3607542

Ran into the first dungeon in gamma sector that I -think- was generated by Dungeoneer. It was a huge rear end lab with Glitch NPCs and sentry drone guards spawned all over the place. Also traps, oh you little bastards. Took me like an hour to carefully explore, kill and loot everything without dying. Awesome stuff.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

That's one way to prevent people digging into the dungeon.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

boo_radley posted:

I am very interested in this, but does this mod work with Enhanced Exploration? Also does it murder the framerate like normal dungeons do? Because every time I find a dungeon in vanilla, the framerate goes to poo poo really fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

Kikas posted:

I am very interested in this, but does this mod work with Enhanced Exploration? Also does it murder the framerate like normal dungeons do? Because every time I find a dungeon in vanilla, the framerate goes to poo poo really fast.

Yes it works with EE. Playing steamless fixed all FPS drops for me. (Rename steam.exe and use the Launcher.exe in Starbound subdir)

• Locked thread