Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Snowy posted:

yeah seriously, check out 5:50 in this completely personality free rundown of his gear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m52-IFMXI60

edit- how do you embed videos that start at a specified point? I always mess that up.

Holy gently caress, that action :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Thumposaurus posted:

I've kinda secretly wanted one of these for years, no idea why.

Is that... Optimus Prime?

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Snowy posted:

yeah seriously, check out 5:50 in this completely personality free rundown of his gear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m52-IFMXI60

My insomnia. Its cured!

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Snowy posted:

Thanks to this dumb thread I think I'm going to buy a guitar and I haven't even played in ten years. :wtc:

Even though I don't like Dinosaur Jr I think the J Mascis Squier is going to be the one

with that cream and gold I'm sure it belongs in here

I am also a relative guitar neophyte and have one of these, it's really nicely put together - enough so that it doesn't feel like an "entry level" guitar.

Now for something completely different: I just got a chance to play around with this and god dammit I cannot spend that much money on a pedal right now. Alas! It's nerdy, so HAVE AT THEE.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 9, 2014

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Snowy posted:

Even though I don't like Dinosaur Jr

Does not compute. :confused:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

fyodor posted:

Does not compute. :confused:

I just wasn't into that whole era of jangly college middle of the road alt rock :shrug: I'm actually listening to their early stuff now because I feel like I should at least have a little familiarity with the guys music if I get his guitar. It's sounding like it doesn't age especially well, kinda like a lot of Sub Pop.

at the time I was more into Melvinsy stuff or whatever other noise/metal/drone was around. To each his or her own, as they say.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
Mascis' voice irritates the poo poo out of me but Bug and You're Living All Over Me have some great tracks on them. Plus dat tone..

Lou Barlow's side work is way more interesting, though, especially The Folk Implosion

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Snowy posted:

I just wasn't into that whole era of jangly college middle of the road alt rock :shrug: I'm actually listening to their early stuff now because I feel like I should at least have a little familiarity with the guys music if I get his guitar. It's sounding like it doesn't age especially well, kinda like a lot of Sub Pop.

at the time I was more into Melvinsy stuff or whatever other noise/metal/drone was around. To each his or her own, as they say.

Jangly? Middle of the road? Sorry you think REM is named Dinosaur Jr. Anyhow, agree to disagree because everyone is chill bros in this thread except that one guy.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
that is some impressively high action

Snowy posted:

edit- how do you embed videos that start at a specified point? I always mess that up.

in the first bracket that's like video type=youtube add start=1m29s or whatever time you want to cue up with quotation marks around youtube and the time, like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m52-IFMXI60&t=350s

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 9, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dinosaur Jr. owns :colbert:

I just ordered one of those Squier VM Jazzmasters myself like a week ago, but not the J Mascis one, just the regular one in sunburst. From the videos I watched showing off both and the reviews I read, there wasn't enough of a difference for me to spend the extra $100 for it. I'm a beginner anyway and I'm not gonna be gigging. It's just going to be for messing around with at home.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

comes along bort posted:

helpful advice

Thanks!!

And I forgot to mention that I like Deep Wound, so I'm sure I'll eventually grow to appreciate Dinosaur Jr. :respek:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Dinosaur Jr. owns :colbert:

I just ordered one of those Squier VM Jazzmasters myself like a week ago, but not the J Mascis one, just the regular one in sunburst. From the videos I watched showing off both and the reviews I read, there wasn't enough of a difference for me to spend the extra $100 for it. I'm a beginner anyway and I'm not gonna be gigging. It's just going to be for messing around with at home.

The bridge is better in the Mascis iirc so you might wish for a different bridge buuuut if you ever get to the point where you notice that kind if thing you can get a drop in fix for like 30 bucks

White Dog Eggs posted:

Holy gently caress, that action :psyduck:

Play cheap guitars, get used to outrageously high action

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Declan MacManus posted:

The bridge is better in the Mascis iirc so you might wish for a different bridge buuuut if you ever get to the point where you notice that kind if thing you can get a drop in fix for like 30 bucks
From what I heard, both the regular one and the J Mascis one have the same bridge issues. I heard dropping a Mustang bridge in there makes it a ton better. But yeah, I haven't even gotten mine in yet to know if I'll get to the point where I need to replace the bridge.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

On ebay the Mascis is about $60 more. The differences that sound good to me are the tremolo closer to the bridge, satin instead of gloss on the neck, jumbo frets, and p90 style pickups. And something about hole spacing on the pickguard is compatible with more replacements. On either one it seems like a good idea to get a roller bridge.

Maybe I'll just save the $60. :confused:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
you gotta get the name bro, you gotta get the name

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

The bridge on the Vintage Modified offsets can be fixed with loctite on the saddle height screws and ptfe tape on the bridge post studs. As for the pickguard on the J Mascis JM, it's the same with the VMJM. You need to get a proper metal bracket for the rhythm control circuits to attach to an AVRI or American-spec pickguard. The ones that they come stock with are laid out differently. Otherwise the hole alignment for the pickguards are 1:1.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Snowy posted:

On ebay the Mascis is about $60 more. The differences that sound good to me are the tremolo closer to the bridge, satin instead of gloss on the neck, jumbo frets, and p90 style pickups. And something about hole spacing on the pickguard is compatible with more replacements. On either one it seems like a good idea to get a roller bridge.

Maybe I'll just save the $60. :confused:

The anodized pick guard helps with the shielding and looks hella sweet

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Snowy posted:

you're jangling all over me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L78sldu-46o

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Ok, maybe fuzzy middle-of-the-road college alt-rock? I'm not going to argue about opinions, but they just don't do it for me. Maybe with a different vocalist and if they started playing like they cared.

I kid.

Sorta.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Snowy posted:

Ok, maybe fuzzy middle-of-the-road college alt-rock? I'm not going to argue about opinions, but they just don't do it for me. Maybe with a different vocalist and if they started playing like they cared.

I kid.

Sorta.

This is a safe place. You are welcome here. :hugs:

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Declan MacManus posted:

Play cheap guitars, get used to outrageously high action

Thats when the files and hex wrenches come out. I actually practiced my set-ups on the nastiest second-hand guitars I could find, I honestly don't think I've seen anything that high ever though.

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 10, 2014

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
its impossible to play a champan stick and not look like a nerd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox2yPHlLr1s

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

yo is it worth it to upgrade an old yamaha pacifica at all or should i just save up for the gibson sg i've always wanted

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cannot Find Server posted:

yo is it worth it to upgrade an old yamaha pacifica at all or should i just save up for the gibson sg i've always wanted

Don't get a gibson SG unless you like paying too much money and like to snap guitar necks, buy a good-quality copy. Gibson are horrible value and they are churning out poo poo lately.

Those Yamaha guitars seem to be excellent for the money (all the ones I've ever seen anyway), so maybe buy some Wilkinson pick-ups and take it to a tech/luthier for a fret dress and set up, it won't cost much and it'll play and sound awesome.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i actually did have it set up a while ago and they made the string buzz go completely away and lowered the action a bunch so i wasn't nearly slicing my fingers open fretting the strings. it sounds decent enough now but i'm reaching the point where i can actually play music and come up with things on my own, and the factory pickups aren't great and sound pretty weak. it also refuses to stay in tune so i want better tuners.

as for gibson, yeah, i've heard that a lot. maybe i will just find a good knockoff, because really all i care about regarding the sg is its looks.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
old copy LYFE. The only big name-brand guitar that's worth the name is a G&L, and even then I'd never buy a brand new one.

my fullerton red '86 Lynx is a tone machine

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Goddamn I want a Jazzmaster... but without the hassle of getting a left-handed one from Japan, or the expense of getting a custom shop one made.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cannot Find Server posted:

i actually did have it set up a while ago and they made the string buzz go completely away and lowered the action a bunch so i wasn't nearly slicing my fingers open fretting the strings. it sounds decent enough now but i'm reaching the point where i can actually play music and come up with things on my own, and the factory pickups aren't great and sound pretty weak. it also refuses to stay in tune so i want better tuners.

as for gibson, yeah, i've heard that a lot. maybe i will just find a good knockoff, because really all i care about regarding the sg is its looks.

You can't really go wrong with Wilkinson hardware imo, it's well priced and solid (Unless specified otherwise I usually use Wilkinson tuners in my builds, the price/prefomance ratio is fantastic).

If you want a copy, look out for the Toaki SG's. They are better quality, less money and fix some of the SG's balance/neck breaking problems, I'd actually recommend Epiphone over Gibson too, some of their guitars are excellent, trouble is that they use a million different factories so you sometimes need to play a few to find a nice one.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Chalupa Joe posted:

Goddamn I want a Jazzmaster... but without the hassle of getting a left-handed one from Japan, or the expense of getting a custom shop one made.

It sucks being left-handed, there really is no excuse for guitar companies to not offer left-handed stuff at the same price, it's all CNC'd ffs.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

White Dog Eggs posted:

You can't really go wrong with Wilkinson hardware imo, it's well priced and solid (Unless specified otherwise I usually use Wilkinson tuners in my builds, the price/prefomance ratio is fantastic).

definitely backed on wilkinson locking tuners and tremolos. pretty sure gotoh makes them

e: gfs/artec make decent pickups for the price, dude who's looking to upgrade his yamaha

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 10, 2014

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

comes along bort posted:

definitely backed on wilkinson locking tuners and tremolos. pretty sure gotoh makes them

It wouldn't surprise me if they were, the quality is comparable. They also do these awesome p90 pickups that wipe the floor with anything Gibson have put out in years and they cost about £25 a pair, if not cheaper. You can't go wrong.

comes along bort posted:

e: gfs/artec make decent pickups for the price, dude who's looking to upgrade his yamaha

Artec are pretty good, sometimes the resistance can vary from what's specified but they sound pretty good! I actually ordered some 4.9k GFS lipstick pickups for mclasts build, hooked them up to my multimeter and they both measure 4.9k dead on, that's insane for what they cost.

TBH, pickups are stupidly over-priced for what they are anyway, copper wire, a magnet, a bit of metal and some plastic. It costs me gently caress all to wind a pickup, most of the cost is the plastic bits (unless I use chrome curtain rails or something).

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 10, 2014

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
Has anyone here played on a Reverend guitar since they switched their factories over to Korea? I owned a USA Reverend bass for years (and I should have never sold it), and I've always liked Joe Naylor's designs, but nobody in Portland seems to carry them.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

White Dog Eggs posted:

TBH, pickups are stupidly over-priced for what they are anyway, copper wire, a magnet, a bit of metal and some plastic. It costs me gently caress all to wind a pickup, most of the cost is the plastic bits (unless I use chrome curtain rails or something).

Well you know as well as I that the cost of something has very little to do with cost of the materials. Pickups (especially aftermarket) have a very limited market. I turn 50 cents worth of clay and glaze into $16 mugs.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

HollisBrown posted:

Well you know as well as I that the cost of something has very little to do with cost of the materials. Pickups (especially aftermarket) have a very limited market. I turn 50 cents worth of clay and glaze into $16 mugs.

True, but there is craft involved in that. There is fck all craft in a pickup, unless you count soldering.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Chalupa Joe posted:

Could do what I did and have someone like WDE put one together for you. There's a luthier/guitarmaker/whatever near me who has setup my guitars since I was a teenager that made a neck for me, Warmoth body, pickups/pots/wiring set from ebay, bridge, tuners, pickguard, painted, etc. all assembled for $800. A left-handed variant would cost exactly as much which is half the price of the LH price from Fender.

flummox
Jul 17, 2004
I want a shoehorn, the kind with teeth.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

From what I heard, both the regular one and the J Mascis one have the same bridge issues. I heard dropping a Mustang bridge in there makes it a ton better. But yeah, I haven't even gotten mine in yet to know if I'll get to the point where I need to replace the bridge.

I've got the mascis and have no problems with the bridge, other than that it's a flatter radius than the fingerboard, which is silly but not a deal-breaker. For the record, the action was set at a normal height from the factory and it plays perfectly fine. The pickups sound beautiful in a very Crazy Horse sort of way; if you're looking for jangly/surfy/twangy you'll want something else. Bizarrely, you can get a pretty credible jazz tone from the neck pickup. I think it looks great but I'm the same age as a lot of your parents, so...

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

White Dog Eggs posted:

Don't get a gibson SG unless you like paying too much money

The Epiphone SG Pro sounds great. You can split coils, it's light and I recorded with one. I own a few Gibsons. That Epi right now is working harder than a loving whore on nickel night. Perfect frets, great intonation, I can beat the poo poo out of it. Stays in tune.

So yeah, as a guy who owns a few Gibby SG's, I have to say, you're paying for a fuckin' name. Good luck with that. And if you get name shamed, then you probably suck anyway and should take up autoharp or worse, djent.

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.

White Dog Eggs posted:

Don't get a gibson SG unless you like paying too much money and like to snap guitar necks, buy a good-quality copy. Gibson are horrible value and they are churning out poo poo lately.

Those Yamaha guitars seem to be excellent for the money (all the ones I've ever seen anyway), so maybe buy some Wilkinson pick-ups and take it to a tech/luthier for a fret dress and set up, it won't cost much and it'll play and sound awesome.

If you're after an SG-a-like and are in the UK, it might be worth trying a Vintage VS6. They're hardware is all Wilkinson, and they're usually equal to or cheaper than a comparable Epiphone in price.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Harry in Rio posted:

The Epiphone SG Pro sounds great. You can split coils, it's light and I recorded with one. I own a few Gibsons. That Epi right now is working harder than a loving whore on nickel night. Perfect frets, great intonation, I can beat the poo poo out of it. Stays in tune.

So yeah, as a guy who owns a few Gibby SG's, I have to say, you're paying for a fuckin' name. Good luck with that. And if you get name shamed, then you probably suck anyway and should take up autoharp or worse, djent.

That's the one! Epiphone can really churn out some good poo poo at times. Their Valve Jr amps/heads are pretty sweet for the money too, great little things than you can mod really easily. I've got a Harley Benton GA5 which is the exact same thing (the board actually has Epiphone Valve JR printed on it), I put an overdrive pot on it and now the thing growls like hell.

Sadsack posted:

If you're after an SG-a-like and are in the UK, it might be worth trying a Vintage VS6. They're hardware is all Wilkinson, and they're usually equal to or cheaper than a comparable Epiphone in price.

Woah. For that much with a 2 year guarantee you can't go wrong! Getting a professional set-up might invalidate the guarantee though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

fyodor posted:

Could do what I did and have someone like WDE put one together for you. There's a luthier/guitarmaker/whatever near me who has setup my guitars since I was a teenager that made a neck for me, Warmoth body, pickups/pots/wiring set from ebay, bridge, tuners, pickguard, painted, etc. all assembled for $800. A left-handed variant would cost exactly as much which is half the price of the LH price from Fender.

Yep, people are always suprised how much it costs. If you fancy a project, buy the neck and body from warmoth or somewhere, get the hardware from ebay and get busy. Just be sure to take it to a decent tech for a set-up if you don't want to buy a shitload of specialist tools.

• Locked thread