Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
How do you guys decide what planet to build your home base on?

Right now I have everything stored in my ship as I mostly just go from planet to planet constantly, but I'm running out of room. I guess I'm having trouble committing on a home planet. I really wanted to wait for Hylotl communities to be put in so I could be with my own kind :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going through some serious Starbound multiplayer withdrawal. My internet has been out for over a week...but maybe tonight. :smith:

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
Has anyone tested Bandit Hideouts yet? Looks really cool but spits out some strange LUA errors on server startup so I disabled it for now. http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/trooks-bandit-hideouts.932/

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

The Pedo derail swallowed my last question:

Anyone have a fix for the bulk refinery issue in Advanced Workstations? I can craft everything else but that.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

J.A.B.C. posted:

The Pedo derail swallowed my last question:

Anyone have a fix for the bulk refinery issue in Advanced Workstations? I can craft everything else but that.

If it's anything like my game: If you installed it in the middle of an ongoing game, you have to craft and use one of the map upgrades again to unlock the recipe; not sure which. You might also have to craft and use others to unlock all the smelting recipes for it depending on how far your character has progressed.

I also seem to recall that the mod description said it was crafted at the robotic crafting table, but I couldn't find it there and had to use the fancy anvil you make with the molten core (I might just be daft and/or have a poor memory though).

AG3 fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 10, 2014

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Lallander posted:

As far as I know this latest release has a lot of multiplayer problems. Bartwe or someone is hosting the occasional test server and stress testing the poo poo out of it. I would expect things to improve massively with the next update.

Good to know.

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

I'm hosting a Starbound server on a <50$/mo server from these guys: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3508988

Mine has a bunch of other poo poo going on too so you could probably get a cheaper one and do the same. You'll want some basic Linux command line knowledge but I know there are step-by-step guides for installing Steam, installing Starbound and starting the server up out there.

However, they seem to take customer service to the extreme and I bet they would set up your Starbound server for you.

Excellent, I'll give them a shot if I can't get things smoothed out with Multiplay.

SpeedRazor
Feb 5, 2005

Eonwe posted:

I'm going through some serious Starbound multiplayer withdrawal. My internet has been out for over a week...but maybe tonight. :smith:

Come visit the newly redesigned planetary rail system on Goon Planet!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I really really can't wait until server side mods are a thing.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Shoehead posted:

I really really can't wait until server side mods are a thing.

Insomuch as the server downloads the mods for you? Because server-side mods are already a thing, but the clients have to have the mod too (in most cases).

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Kyrosiris posted:

Insomuch as the server downloads the mods for you? Because server-side mods are already a thing, but the clients have to have the mod too (in most cases).

Yeah that. So we can just hop on no problem.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Shoehead posted:

Yeah that. So we can just hop on no problem.

Ah, okay, then yeah, I agree.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

I'm hosting a Starbound server on a <50$/mo server from these guys: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3508988

Mine has a bunch of other poo poo going on too so you could probably get a cheaper one and do the same. You'll want some basic Linux command line knowledge but I know there are step-by-step guides for installing Steam, installing Starbound and starting the server up out there.

However, they seem to take customer service to the extreme and I bet they would set up your Starbound server for you.

Seconding this recommendation for betaForce. I run a ton of network/CPU-intensive poo poo in addition to a Starbound server, and have never seen any performance issues. Granted that's only with 4 people so far, but it's still a really reliable host. This is with their 2048 CentOS 6 configuration, other configurations or distros may vary. Their customer service is amazing and very speedy too.

My question for modders: Has there been any more of the Lua API released or documented? The only thing keeping me from getting more into modding was the complete lack of an API reference, aside from the awful one at the starrybound wiki. Are you still forced to use workarounds via tech/monster scripts/etc to script anything?

I didn't see anything in the patch notes about it, but they haven't really included much modding stuff in the notes before anyway.

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

Krittick posted:

My question for modders: Has there been any more of the Lua API released or documented?
I didn't see anything in the patch notes about it, but they haven't really included much modding stuff in the notes before anyway.

"Documentation for lua functions have been written, and we’re going to release them soonish."
From the Jan 26 patch notes. That was the last I've seen on it. I would suspect that they will get released with the next patch, but who knows.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

Lallander posted:

"Documentation for lua functions have been written, and we’re going to release them soonish."
From the Jan 26 patch notes. That was the last I've seen on it. I would suspect that they will get released with the next patch, but who knows.

Yeah, was hoping they released something after that. Hopefully next patch! Gonna hold off on modding until then since I dislike using the existing workarounds and it's a pain without proper API documentation.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
So if you guys remember the 90sish outfits I made for the Skellies, I just got done with the first batch for a standalone mod.

All of it comes in a range of colours (which is why it too so long copy and pasting everything like 6 times) and can be crafted at the Clothing Replicator for 50 pixels each.

More pants are on the way too.

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/shoeheads-threads.1546/

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Has anyone seen or heard of a way to place blocks with a projectile? Like the sandgun in Terraria or something similar?

edit: Yep apparently somebody has - http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/many-guns.767/

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 10, 2014

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

dog kisser posted:

Has anyone seen or heard of a way to place blocks with a projectile? Like the sandgun in Terraria or something similar?

edit: Yep apparently somebody has - http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/many-guns.767/

There is a NPC attack that sprays sand/dirt everywhere, too. I was attacked by a bunch of NPCs on an asteroid and they started making a huge pile of sand.

Has anyone found a mod that includes decent enemies? While the weird alien things are okay, I find myself wanting something else. A fantasy creatures mod would be cool, with dragons, manticores, etc. Or even just regular earth creatures.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

SpeedRazor posted:

Come visit the newly redesigned planetary rail system on Goon Planet!

Yo with the background knocked out like that, that looks like poo poo

SpeedRazor
Feb 5, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

Apparently that's the next step, this was just taken as the last piece was put in to connect the planet into one continuous line, pre-patch rail system had full walls and lighting.

edit: Just jumped on and rode the rail system, it's already walled up all the way through!

SpeedRazor fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 11, 2014

Colosmicon
Jan 5, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

It's easier to lay down a background if you've got a track to ride beforehand.

SpeedRazor posted:

edit: Just jumped on and rode the rail system, it's already walled up all the way through!

Yeah, you'd better believe it.

e: Here's the goonrail with finished background.

Colosmicon fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 11, 2014

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Considering the scope of such a project, even though I have yet to touch multiplayer I wouldn't care what you walled it with or how much of it was.

Because as much as I'd think "Boy, a Glass subway tube would be cool", I know how much of an insane pain in the rear end could potentially be when even enough glass to cover a single "screen" worth of space can be bonkers. 333 Glass per 1,000 Sand :shepicide:

EDIT: vvv Yeah, what pixel printed tile options you have in Vanilla be crazy. Every single portable printer tile is 50 Pixels each, the value of a bar of gold. Lego blocks are expensive in the future.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 11, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I'm going to guess anyone building on that sort of scale is running one of those "everything for a pixel" mods. Although at least for glass you can hoover up a tremendous amount of sand pretty quickly. Building a castle out of recycled temple bricks or something without accommodating mods is horrific.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
What's with the golden toilet? Trying to summon the God-Emperor?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

MrGreenShirt posted:

Finally, FINALLY, found enough crystal plant seeds to round out my crop collection. My house is complete!

That is until I find/think of something new to add and tear the whole thing down and rebuild for the umpteenth time.

That's pretty cool, it reminds me of a Plymouth Arco from Simcity 2000

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 11, 2014

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm going to guess anyone building on that sort of scale is running one of those "everything for a pixel" mods. Although at least for glass you can hoover up a tremendous amount of sand pretty quickly. Building a castle out of recycled temple bricks or something without accommodating mods is horrific.

I get most of my durasteel by running around metal rich planets shooting everything vaguely titanium like or coal like with my legendary drill rocket launcher. The problem is, you get a ton of dirt, cobblestone and other random blocks too.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

MrGreenShirt posted:

Finally, FINALLY, found enough crystal plant seeds to round out my crop collection. My house is complete!

That is until I find/think of something new to add and tear the whole thing down and rebuild for the umpteenth time.

Which ones are the crystal? Also, what's the stuff directly above the bananas, next to what I think may be sugarcane?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

XboxPants posted:

Which ones are the crystal? Also, what's the stuff directly above the bananas, next to what I think may be sugarcane?
Crystals are first column, second row.

The entire farm looks like...
Chili, Feathercrown, Eggshoot, Avesmingo
Crystalplant, Pussplum, Beakseed, Neonmelon
Oculemon, Carrot, Potato, Toxictop
Dirturchin, Kiwi, Rice, Reefpod
Pineapple, Boltbulb, Currentcorn, Banana
Coralcreep, Grapes, Boneboo, Pearlpea
Tomato, Automato, Dioda, Wartweed
Sugarcane, Wheat, Wheat, Corn

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!
Hey everyone, excuse me, I haven't played through the main game yet. I just have a quick question if anyone can help. I just got the Decoy Princess and I want to fight the dragon, but everything I'm reading says I should have a Tier 3 gun. I only have a Tier 1 gun and I only got that from finding it or killing someone (can't remember exactly). Anyway, I have a Mac and I can't find any coordinates for a planet that might have a gun or a gun dealer. Is my only option to just try random planets forever until I find a gun? Thanks for any responses this gets.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I killed the dragon with eight turrets, four on a side, from the 3D printer. I didn't touch him once with a hand-held weapon. Dig a little hole in the middle and sit in there while he dies.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Redkist posted:

Hey everyone, excuse me, I haven't played through the main game yet. I just have a quick question if anyone can help. I just got the Decoy Princess and I want to fight the dragon, but everything I'm reading says I should have a Tier 3 gun. I only have a Tier 1 gun and I only got that from finding it or killing someone (can't remember exactly). Anyway, I have a Mac and I can't find any coordinates for a planet that might have a gun or a gun dealer. Is my only option to just try random planets forever until I find a gun? Thanks for any responses this gets.

Hi. If you can't find a gun, you have a couple options.

The first, is that if you have unlocked the ability to fight the Dragon, then you should also have the (Bug? Intentional?) option of using your 3D printer to make Defense Turrets for a single pixel each. They only do about 6 damage a buller, and you need to Use them after placing them to turn them on (or reactivate them after they have fired too much/got hit too much and their little energy bar runs out). Set up a ton of them, summon the dragon, and hide yourself deep under several layers of dirt because the fireball has some splash damage through walls for a bit.

The second option, is to craft yourself a spear or equip a two-handed sword just as powerful as your best spear (because you will need the reach with the dragon's iffy hitbox and melee aura), load up every red stim and health kits you have ever found, whatever nano bandages you can afford to craft, and kill that bastard in a no holds barred beat down in your very own custom cage match boss arena converted from a prison yard. Yes I had a pistol by then, but it was barely better than a Steel Bow.

Edit: On the one hand, beaten. On the other hand, My way is cooler (if dumber).

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 11, 2014

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
If there's no reliable list of Mac planets, yeah. Find a solar system with lots of planets and make a circuit of their surfaces, keeping an eye out for avian structures. The avian airships (if you find a chain and anchor, there's an airship above you. Platform your way up), avian towers, and avian temples are your best bets for consistently finding guns. The mobs in floran prisons also drop guns a lot, but those seem to be pretty rare. You should find them every so often in chests too.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Redkist posted:

I found a T1 gun on my starter planet (in an Avian Temple, from a guard) that did 2 damage per shot, which sounds meh but the rate of fire was 12.5-ish. It was basically a firehose. Two other guns dropped in the same area that were only marginally less good. You can definitely find something worth using in T1.

Colosmicon
Jan 5, 2013

WarpedNaba posted:

What's with the golden toilet? Trying to summon the God-Emperor?

Do you remember the story about the joining of the Union Pacific and Central Pacific railways?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

Although at least for glass you can hoover up a tremendous amount of sand pretty quickly.
Turning it into glass is another matter.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zereth posted:

Turning it into glass is another matter.
Yeah. it being smelted 3 at a time makes it go by decently fast for furnace stuff, but you need 3,000 Sand in three different smelters to get 999 Glass in one batch, with 1 sand leftover in each.

Here is Professor Doctor Hellsmasher, you can tell because he has a labcoat, monocle, bandages, AND drugs. He is on the scene with an example of how much space 1,000 blocks takes.

Twenty five 2x2 manipulator placed chunks across, ten high. You need three times as much material as this for an equal amount of glass.

Still, despite that overall it is still much easier to gather the materials for Glass than it is for say, Iron Blocks or Titanium Panels (or crafting enough durasteel to make a planet circling skyrail, you brave bastards). It just feels worse, because you can instantly hammer out as many iron/titanium/whatever the hell blocks from your anvil as needed once you have the ore. While you have to wait for a furnace to reduce 1,000 Sand into 333 glass.

If I was forced between making every building out of nothing but Glass, or nothing but Iron blocks. I'd go with Glass. I am a sucker for wood wall paneling both because I like ridiculous space log cabins, and you can simply grow your building material (with persistent farmables, at least) rather easily for 1k panels per 333 raw wood.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Feb 11, 2014

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

Section Z posted:

Considering the scope of such a project, even though I have yet to touch multiplayer I wouldn't care what you walled it with or how much of it was.

Because as much as I'd think "Boy, a Glass subway tube would be cool", I know how much of an insane pain in the rear end could potentially be when even enough glass to cover a single "screen" worth of space can be bonkers. 333 Glass per 1,000 Sand :shepicide:

You usally have admin tools installed like /kick/ban/whois/playerlist and also, yes, /giveitem <player> <amount>. Not that I'm for this kind of cheap building but if you are an admin or a mod and just want to finish cool stuff for the home planet it makes poo poo a ton easier. Also you could make it even more simpler by just using this bad boy: Starstructor http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/starstructor-the-starbound-toolset.152/

The only time I used the command was for the Artifical Brain after killing like 300 mobs with that brain extractor for about 2 hours. gently caress that ridiculous 5% drop chance. :argh:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Vax posted:

The only time I used the command was for the Artifical Brain after killing like 300 mobs with that brain extractor for about 2 hours. gently caress that ridiculous 5% drop chance. :argh:

I got it on my 17th kill, without ever leaving the planet I started on. Very strange.

SpeedRazor
Feb 5, 2005
No admin tools currently installed, unless the users dupe their own items somehow it's all vanilla on the server for the most part.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

SpeedRazor posted:

No admin tools currently installed, unless the users dupe their own items somehow it's all vanilla on the server for the most part.

In vanilla there are admin commands too. You need to set them to false in the config, otherwise everyone can teleport etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Blhue posted:

If there's no reliable list of Mac planets, yeah. Find a solar system with lots of planets and make a circuit of their surfaces, keeping an eye out for avian structures. The avian airships (if you find a chain and anchor, there's an airship above you. Platform your way up), avian towers, and avian temples are your best bets for consistently finding guns. The mobs in floran prisons also drop guns a lot, but those seem to be pretty rare. You should find them every so often in chests too.

Just summon the dragon on an airship, put away your weapon, and hide belowdecks. Eventually the dragon will piss everybody off and instantly explode in a glorious hail of gunfire. Make sure to loot the dead; I got a rum barrel that way :buddy:

• Locked thread