Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

A really big spoiler you should not mouse over:

So it's kind of like the arc in Haruhi where they do Endless Eight? And people watching were all "nah they'll never do it EIGHT WHOLE TIMES come on

Anyway I'll see how I feel when I get there, I haven't even started the game up yet!

Yeah, actually. (entirety of the plot spoilers)The game pretty much explicitly tells you what's up right from the beginning with the picture of the Larva phase and the 6 in the back of the journal. There's a way to tell how many you have left until Bravely Default in the main menu. Honestly, I'm not a fan of the journal near the end due to how much it blatantly gives away. Now, the file load screen on the other hand... :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I said come in! posted:

This is actually one of those things a lot of people knew about going in, and honestly I would go as far as to say you should know about this going into the game. I'm surprised more people don't talk about it because it's kinda a super lazy design decision that developers should never do.

I can understand taking your time, but even if you do everything available to you, it doesn't take long at all to get to Chapter 5. Where Bravely Default really gets its length is in the extra content and leveling jobs.
Well there seem to have been people who got it on Friday, and who played it for 7+ hours per day. Just means that I'm having to dodge a lot of spoiler tags in here.

I don't think I played it at all on Friday or Saturday, then put a few hours in last night. I usually have it in sleep mode though so Norende is really far upgraded.

Anyway, I just finished the sub-quest in Chapter 1 last night, so now I have more jobs than I know what to do with. Also I was rockin' Agnes as a White Mage for a while, but decided to switch her to a Thief with the Angel Bow (and White Magic as her secondary job). She's now a totally badass killing machine. :stare:

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

irlZaphod posted:

Anyway, I just finished the sub-quest in Chapter 1 last night, so now I have more jobs than I know what to do with. Also I was rockin' Agnes as a White Mage for a while, but decided to switch her to a Thief with the Angel Bow (and White Magic as her secondary job). She's now a totally badass killing machine. :stare:

If you aren't classing Agnes for the jobs she's statistically the worst in, you're doing it wrong. :getin:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hivac posted:

If you aren't classing Agnes for the jobs she's statistically the worst in, you're doing it wrong. :getin:

I intend to master all jobs for all 4 characters. Now if I could just beat the stupid vampire boss. :/

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

I said come in! posted:

I'm surprised more people don't talk about it because it's kinda a super lazy design decision that developers should never do.

I'd say it's largely because of the spoilery nature of it. They did add a new sidequest in chapter 7? That has some great dialogue and pretty drat challenging fights.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Hivac posted:

Yeah, I had her as a ninja in the demo and she was pretty badass in that too. I can't wait to get it in the game. Thief with Utsesemi. :allears:

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

irlZaphod posted:

Yeah, I had her as a ninja in the demo and she was pretty badass in that too. I can't wait to get it in the game. Thief with Utsesemi. :allears:

Ninja will never not be Square's go-to dodgetank :smith:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So I don't have all the jobs yet but was thinking back and culture talk that may be super wrong but the Idol that gives you Performer seemed to be the only Job master that you don't straight up murder. I was wondering why everyone dies but her and part of me wonders if it's because Japan (from what I hear anyway) is obsessed with idols and the like. Is it wrong to think that?

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
If you guys are bringing up that particular anime to imply that the plot goes all Endless Eight on you, spoiler tag that poo poo, seriously. Even the reference is enough to get the idea across.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Terper posted:

Agnés is done by Erin Fitzgerald, who did Emmeryn.
She also played Canadian Noble (:psyduck:) Raquna in the latest Etrian Odyssey game. (:psyduck:)

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

You don't kill the vampire either!

I guess all the others were unwilling to back down so you had to fight them to the death. Whereas DeRosso was just testing your strength and Praline is a coward and ran away

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

UselessLurker posted:

If you guys are bringing up that particular anime to imply that the plot goes all Endless Eight on you, spoiler tag that poo poo, seriously. Even the reference is enough to get the idea across.

But this game doesn't have any time travel in it! :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So I don't have all the jobs yet but was thinking back and culture talk that may be super wrong but the Idol that gives you Performer seemed to be the only Job master that you don't straight up murder. I was wondering why everyone dies but her and part of me wonders if it's because Japan (from what I hear anyway) is obsessed with idols and the like. Is it wrong to think that?

Edea's father survives. He's just wounded and "may never use a sword again."

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just saying but I hope Egil blows up soon. Got my Ninja ability and this whole Egil saga is really boring. I'm aware the last few chapters apparently repeat themselves for some reason but this is just so dull. I don't care about Egil at all or this Innkeeper

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Me: I should test one of these super attacks you borrow from a friend. I'm sure there's some kind of balancing mechanic to keep them from wrecking the difficulty curve.

*Does 9999 damage, instantly 1-shotting the boss.*

Me: :stare:

Not much else to comment on without looking at all the black bars. I originally planned to crank it up to hard as soon as I had a full party but the game seems to provide a healthy challenge on normal already. Money's kinda tight though. Anyway, game owns. 5/5 would Default again.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rangpur posted:

Me: I should test one of these super attacks you borrow from a friend. I'm sure there's some kind of balancing mechanic to keep them from wrecking the difficulty curve.

*Does 9999 damage, instantly 1-shotting the boss.*

Me: :stare:

Not much else to comment on without looking at all the black bars. I originally planned to crank it up to hard as soon as I had a full party but the game seems to provide a healthy challenge on normal already. Money's kinda tight though. Anyway, game owns. 5/5 would Default again.

Once you get to Chapter 4, there are places you'll have access to that makes money a non-issue. I'm glad for this because the game has plenty of grinding otherwise.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Unmature posted:

I'm pretty sure I only used one. Maybe I activated it and accidentally used three in one instance? Still weird that I got a full night's sleep and the hourglass is completely empty.

But the net invites thing is totally weird for me. I've been trying for two days and it always says that. I'll keep trying.

Did you brave during the time stop? Each brave uses a sp and you can go negative.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

So is there a lightly spoiled version of what happens at chapter 5? I'm enjoying the game quite a bit, but now it's bugging me and I have a habit of waiting indefinitely before a big game event grinding and things in case. I don't need a plot spoiler so much as just what happens mechanically if that makes sense.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Saxophone posted:

So is there a lightly spoiled version of what happens at chapter 5? I'm enjoying the game quite a bit, but now it's bugging me and I have a habit of waiting indefinitely before a big game event grinding and things in case. I don't need a plot spoiler so much as just what happens mechanically if that makes sense.

Think Groundhog Day

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Aurain posted:

I once tried to watch Haruhi.
I didn't understand that whole deal.
Anime is weird.

This sounds a whole lot like some sort of haiku.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wow, the Dragon boss in the Vestment Cave took a pretty unexpected turn.

Playing on Hard, I went into the fight at level 19. I got destroyed by him on the first try, but managed to examine him and found that he was weak to Water. So I changed all my Specials--which had been charged up by the trip through the cave--to Water and gave them 20% power boosts (thank you, shitload of Norende villagers). Went in, Defaulted a bunch, Tiz (White Mage) and Edea (Knight) get killed anyway. Ringabel Phoenix Downs both, Tiz uses a healing special, and everyone releases their attack Specials. Everyone crits, to the tune of 2000-3000 damage each, and that's before they follow them up with a ton of Blizzards/Stomps/Attacks. The boss's 10,000 HP were gone in two turns.

Specials are insane.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp
Is it just me or is this game sorta... easy? The brave system more or less means you wipe most randoms in one turn and turning encounters to +100% allows me to level up abnormally fast in the process of going through a dungeon. Not really a complaint just curious if anyone else has noticed this

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So is there any reason at all not to train everyone as a spell fencer because holy poo poo they are loving wrecking the difficulty curve. I'm in the early part of Chapter 2 and Edea as a thief with a Compound Bow and a Fira Sword enchantment can swing for over 2000 damage if she crits and the enemy is weak. :stare:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
That boss in particular seems pretty weak to them. I queued up specials on all four characters and it only took Tiz's (he had the first norende bow and second special move unlocked.)

As for spell fencers they are pretty amazing...until you run into magic immune enemies or ones only vulnerable to wind or earth.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 10, 2014

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

OrganizedInsanity posted:

Is it just me or is this game sorta... easy? The brave system more or less means you wipe most randoms in one turn and turning encounters to +100% allows me to level up abnormally fast in the process of going through a dungeon. Not really a complaint just curious if anyone else has noticed this

Play on Hard. I'm still only in Chapter 1 but enemies in random battles are routinely fast enough to act before I do and routinely deal 30% of a character's HP in damage in one attack. Hard also cranks up the HP on boss enemies dramatically, so you (usually) can't just unthinkingly burn them down in a couple of turns. I think I got lucky on that boss I just posted about.

I'm told the end of Chapter 4 is where the gloves come off, though, on both Normal and Hard.

Mokinokaro posted:

That boss in particular seems pretty weak to them. I queued up specials on all four characters and it only took Tiz's (he had the first norende bow and second special move unlocked.)

It does feel pretty good to completely stomp a boss that completely stomped me on the first try without even leveling up in between.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Chapter 2 spoilers and question: if, theoretically, you were to use Bravely Second a lot to summon a bunch of absurdly high-powered friends to win the scripted battle against Victoria and Victor, what would happen? Would it just proceed as normal, with Victoria having a seizure and Victor bugging out with her?

It is only as easy or as difficult as you make it. If you want it to be harder, set the difficulty to Hard, turn encounters down to -50%, disable EXP gain, or anything else.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

I honestly think it's intended that you be able to wipe most early random encounters with ease, and part of the point of putting in the brave system was to dramatically reduce the time spent on random encounters you'd be able to faceroll anyway without it, but a bit more slowly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Chapter 2 spoilers and question: if, theoretically, you were to use Bravely Second a lot to summon a bunch of absurdly high-powered friends to win the scripted battle against Victoria and Victor, what would happen? Would it just proceed as normal, with Victoria having a seizure and Victor bugging out with her?

Proceeds as normal. It's an entirely winnable battle.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The story content is easy, but the side quests can be pretty challenging. From what i've been reading else where, there are a lot of ways you can break the games mechanics too with certain job/ability combinations.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Aurain posted:

Spoilers
Whoa. I can't help but feel that, done well, that could be really cool. But can also see how that would bug the crap out of some people. Neat tie-in though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

I honestly think it's intended that you be able to wipe most early random encounters with ease, and part of the point of putting in the brave system was to dramatically reduce the time spent on random encounters you'd be able to faceroll anyway without it, but a bit more slowly.
Has there ever been a FF game where random encounters weren't easy? I've only really played the remakes of 3 and 4 on the DS, and didn't finish them, but the whole thing about this game is that it just speeds up the whole process of random encounters by letting you annihilate groups of enemies in one turn (and, in fact, rewards you for it). In the other games, you'd have to sit there for multiple turns if you couldn't one-shot everything with your party. It wasn't any harder, and didn't involve any other real strategy, it just took longer.

Morphogenic96
Oct 30, 2013

I was just wondering, is there any way to view a boss's HP without having to bringing Miscellany into every battle. It's pretty annoying having to use up a skill slot for it.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Ask one of your friends to send the skill pretty much.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nope. But if you only want to know their total, just take it into battle, use it, reset and go in as you wanted. If you know the total, you could mental math a rough estimate of the remaining HP left fairly easily.

e: Yep, pretty much. I just go without it unless I'm mimic'ing somehting, then it's two birds one stone.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 10, 2014

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

...Then why wouldn't you have like, Gamefaqs open on your phone/browser in the first place? It is a stupid idea to not include the itemized version of Analyze/Libra.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Or god forbid just remember it after you've already used Examine or killed a few of them. Discover that their weakness is fire on your own? Record it! Final Fantasy 13 has the gold standard for Libra-like skills as far as I'm concerned. It automatically fills in strengths/weaknesses as you find them and everything else gradually fills in as you kill more of the same monster, or you can just cast Libra on it to fill in most/all of it at once. BD went with the second worst possible way to implement it and the only way it could be worse is if you had to recast Examine to see how much HP they have left a few turns later.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Artix posted:

So is there any reason at all not to train everyone as a spell fencer because holy poo poo they are loving wrecking the difficulty curve. I'm in the early part of Chapter 2 and Edea as a thief with a Compound Bow and a Fira Sword enchantment can swing for over 2000 damage if she crits and the enemy is weak. :stare:

LOL 2k how cute, my knights shield attack with dual shields crits for like 6k. You'll get another class soon that makes the spell fencer buffs seem pointless.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

LOL 2k how cute, my knights shield attack with dual shields crits for like 6k. You'll get another class soon that makes the spell fencer buffs seem pointless.

Spell fencer buffs are ridiculous if you like hitting for 9999 multiple times in a single attack round.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

big mean giraffe posted:

Dude, don't damage-shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Is there any point to The Adventurer's Mark beyond "woo, I beat the superboss?" He's a pretty crap superboss.

• Locked thread