Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

mattfl posted:

He doesn't have money coming in though, he's got the promise/pinky swear it coming in at the end of the month.

Well if he doesn't he can walk with his head held high. He's gone in, he's discussed it and his boss knows that he's willing to do something about it. If his boss decides to try and gently caress him over that's his bosses downfall, he can sue knowing full well he tried to address the issues first. As someone who worked for free for a long time finally getting the balls to say "hold up, I need to be paid now" can be a giant hurdle to overcome and he should be patted on the back for that.

Sefal, regardless of if you have to sue to get your money or he actually coughs up the cash, you've gotten the ball rolling, which is the most important thing.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

Please export your mailbox and make offsite backups of everything else that proves you have been working there.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Sefal posted:

Update

I did not mention that I would look for other jobs.
So for now. I am holding out until the end of this month. either he pays by then or I´m out.
And yeah I got the total amount he owes me written down.

dogstile posted:

Well if he doesn't he can walk with his head held high. He's gone in, he's discussed it and his boss knows that he's willing to do something about it.

His boss doesn't know anything other than he can continue to lead Sefal on with nothing but promises.

Sefal, can I ask how old you are?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Since it's not even halfway through the month yet, I submit that you're still a sucker and he's getting another two and a half weeks of work out of you for nothing.

I didn't expect anything different, really. People come to these threads for advice on these matters, but always seem to assume that we're just cynical goons or something and that we haven't seen companies and bosses pull this kind of poo poo over and over. I'll keep giving the same kind of advice, on the off chance that someone will believe me and take it. But it's pretty frustrating seeing CorvetteFisher Circa 2012 in these threads again.

DagPenge
Jun 4, 2011

Looks like our civilians are fine, thank god for the capitalist spirit!
Had a long rant typed out, but all I am going to say is this. Stop working until you see at least 3 months of pay with the rest coming at the end of the month. He need you way more than you need him.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I´ve already decided to walk out there as soon as I get a job regardless if he pays.

i´m 21 years old.

I work on my laptop and I take that home with me everyday. I have most of my work on there. The laptop is mine.

Edit:
My next work day is friday so I will try to get something out of him then.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Sefal posted:

Edit:
Lawyer up, kid. I'd get your state's labor board involved. It's beyond "trying to get something out of him."

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Sefal posted:

I´ve already decided to walk out there as soon as I get a job regardless if he pays.

i´m 21 years old.

I work on my laptop and I take that home with me everyday. I have most of my work on there. The laptop is mine.

Edit:

You're the same age as me and you've accomplished so much more than I have in IT, you've set up an entire office by yourself. Lawyer up, look for jobs NOW because you're certainly qualified, and stop trying to whine to him about getting paid.

Not being paid for an entire year is loving criminal and it's insane that he's still getting away with it.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
How are you 21 and okay with that? Get a free lawyer consultation, explain the exact situation and he will tell you your next steps to take in order to get the money you're owed. You'll have to go to court, your employer is taking advantage of you.

:goonsay: never ceases to amaze me

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Misogynist posted:

Lawyer up, kid. I'd get your state's labor board involved. It's beyond "trying to get something out of him."

Seriously.
First, call the bar and you have a good chance of getting a 30 minute free consultation with someone who actually knows what they're talking about.
File a complaint with the wage division of your state today. It's going to take them like 2 months anyways before they even start acting so you want to get the ball rolling now. If you've already set up an appointment with a lawyer in the next week or so you can hold off on this step until you've received expert legal advice.

Let me know if you have difficulty accomplishing either task.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Misogynist posted:

Listen to Miso. Always listen to Miso

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Whilst I think of it, if you don't already have WRITTEN confirmation that he's delaying paying you try to get it from him via email now. If he's not too smart he'll confirm that he can only pay you next month. It'll help if the matter goes to court. Make sure you get the email either sent to a personal address or make an offsite backup of the email if it's on the company's system.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Guys thank you for your advice. It helped clearing my mind.
My boss doesn't use e-mail, so that's impossible.
I also don't have a contract. When he pays me he has me sign a piece of paper, so I don't know if I have anything to stand on.
Friday will be my final talk with him. If he doesn't do anything i quit on the spot.
I'm insane for letting this go on besides the 1st month.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Sefal posted:

I also don't have a contract. When he pays me he has me sign a piece of paper, so I don't know if I have anything to stand on.
Friday will be my final talk with him. If he doesn't do anything i quit on the spot.
Is he paying you off the books? Seems like an even better reason to get the labor board involved with this rear end in a top hat. Who even knows how many other people he's loving around with the same promises?

Make a record of all the work you've performed for the company over the past 11 months. Create supporting documentation in the form of server logs, email chains with co-workers, and so forth. Figure out who the coworkers are that you (or the labor board, depending on how this happens) can subpoena to appear in court and testify that you were supposed to be doing paid work for this guy -- they've probably had similar shenanigans in the past that they can attest to under oath.

e: Agreed with Total Meatlove. No ultimatums, nothing else happens until you speak to a lawyer or an actual person from the state labor bureau.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 10, 2014

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Talk to a lawyer, find out what evidence you'd need, collect that evidence. Don't tell anybody, don't just mention it to somebody, just go and get an appointment, ask 'what would make for a watertight case', get it and then leave.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Sefal posted:

Are, are you sure he even thinks you've been hired on full time and not still just an intern? What kind of company is this that he doesn't use email?!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just from a warm fuzzy feeling approach to things, you'd have been better doing exactly what you've been doing already for free for a company to help them grow or make money for their directors, but doing it for a charity or some other voluntary body that has a mission other than "making money out of people working for free".

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Man this almost deserves its own thread.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Misogynist posted:

Is he paying you off the books?

Yeah, this is a really easy question to answer. Do you have a W4 with him? Are you going to receive a W2 for what he was supposed to pay you? How about a W9?

If not, you aren't in a legal job situation anyways and the best thing to do at this point is completely rat him out to the IRS and labor board and use whatever documentation you have to prove that he was paying you off the books.

You may not have much luck getting any back pay you are owed though since you don't seem to have any formal agreement in writing.

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

All we know is... he's called The Stig.

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, this is a really easy question to answer. Do you have a W4 with him? Are you going to receive a W2 for what he was supposed to pay you? How about a W9?

He's in Europe.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Sefal posted:

I take it all back, you should gently caress this guy over.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

psydude posted:

Man this almost deserves its own thread.

This is CorvetteFisher and blackswordca combined, and then squared :allears:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I'm not sure about a W4 (I'm not from the US) but I did give them my ID and filled their form.
He isn't paying me off the books. the money that was payed to me is in the system. the accountant put me in their books. I saw that. I am not a full time employee. I come in 2 days, but I am on call 24/7

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sefal posted:

I am on call 24/7

Not anymore you aren't

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Sefal posted:

I am not a full time employee. I come in 2 days, but I am on call 24/7

I, what?! :wth:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
A digest of this specific discussion belongs in the "poo poo that pisses you off" thread, because it pisses me right the gently caress off.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This situation is currently on the knife edge where if it falls one way the poster lawyers up and gets what's owed to them, and on the other side is another episode of goon in a well.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Why would you work for free? Most people don't even want to work, let alone work for free. This blows my mind.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sefal posted:

I come in 2 days, but I am on call 24/7

I believe we are being trolled.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I loving wish I was trolling.
I have 3 days of school and 2 days of work

Either way I think Friday will be my last day.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Sefal posted:

I hope for your sake you've turned your phone off and are not answering any work calls.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Sefal posted:

So if there's an issue in schooltime, what does he expect you to do? Are you sure there is nothing from when you started that shows he brought you in as an employee?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
He told my intern teacher (don't know what its called in english) the man who helps me with my intern ship from school.
That I am working here. That I did so well that they wanted to keep me.
I don't know if that's something that's proof.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Sefal posted:

He told my intern teacher (don't know what its called in english) the man who helps me with my intern ship from school.
That I am working here. That I did so well that they wanted to keep me.
I don't know if that's something that's proof.
Mention your situation to your faculty advisor so they don't send any more people to this loving shitheap. They'll also be able to give you a hand getting in touch with the right Department of Labor people, etc.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Sefal posted:

The only thing that sucks is that I haven't gotten paid to the point where I went to my boss and said I have a bill to pay, can you pay it for me (he did) but why do I have to ask him.
I really like working for him. This job is amazing. The things I am learning each day are great.
let me give a bit more back story.
last summer I went to him to get my paycheck and he said he didn't have the money and asked me if I minded waiting a bit.
I waited a month then asked him again. got the same reply he doesn't have it yet. asked each month. fast forward to now. and he still hasn't paid me. He has paid a bill for me though. He always gives some vague hint that he'll pay me sometime next month
I still live with my mom. so I don't have any fixed bills each month.

What would make more sense to do.
stay working here hoping in vain I get paid someday till I graduate and find a good paying job.
or do I have enough knowledge and experience to find a part time gig as junior system administrator?

This company is riding you; get out there are many many more opportunities out there that will take you much farther.

Also they are doing some pretty sketchy poo poo if you are asking you to pay for poo poo like that. It's also highly illegal if you aren't getting paid. This startup sounds like someone has no idea what they are doing and didn't account for something.

three posted:

Why would you work for free? Most people don't even want to work, let alone work for free. This blows my mind.

I worked and do a lot of freebies still working with the teaching and lab designs + implementations I do; however I get free certs and a large backing to my resume so I call it even.

Inspector_666 posted:

This is CorvetteFisher and blackswordca combined, and then squared :allears:

This tops anything in my ballpark.

Side note for some reason after getting this one job everyone in their loving nephew wants to get me in their doors and talk to me about working a VMware gig. I guess the secret is get offered one place then everyone else jumps onboard like "oh yeah we want you too!". Also side not it appears my last job is still looking for my replacement. One recruiter I talked to who is looking for that position told me it's one of the hardest positions he's tried to get filled.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 10, 2014

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Side note for some reason after getting this one job everyone in their loving nephew wants to get me in their doors and talk to me about working a VMware gig.
Stop doing this, we get it, you're doing well.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Sorry just after a month and a half of dead air in the job sector it's like ironic comedy or something.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Sorry just after a month and a half of dead air in the job sector it's like ironic comedy or something.

Keep posting, your life makes me think there is hope in this world.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Isn't your interview today? I know you said everyone said you're basically in, but you're kind of jumping the gun

Edit: And yea recruiter offers come in waves, and usually its because recruiters in your area get listings at the same time and you'll get repetitive emails for the same thing just worded differently.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

LBR he was fired and out of a job, so it's understandable.

• Locked thread