Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

On the other hand, a family friend I know is easily into his late 70s, and he still rides around (properly) on an old BMW and restores and rides war era Harleys. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I'm not anti-scooter but I don't get those things. They defeat the purpose of a scooter. They're not step-through, they're not light, they're not small, you can't park them really easily. It's just a small motorcycle with a CVT. Biggest scooter I can see working is a Vespa GT.

Lower center of gravity, easy of operation. Most of them have huge inbuilt storage. Great fuel economy. If you don't want to hoon (why???) they're fine commuters.

Or so I hear, I don't really get the point of the bigger ones either. Like nullscan said, they're kind of the de facto in-town delivery vehicles in a lot of places, where you need off the line speed hauling bulky things (or a lot of food.)

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

thylacine posted:

Yep old people who can't lift their leg high enough or do the horse-mount on their motorcycle shouldn't have an option.
I dunno, you have to lift your leg up reasonably high to get onto most maxi scooters. Like I said before, not step-through.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Slavvy posted:

They were doing 4 lap races because everyone would get really sore if it went on longer than that, and they all climbed off holding their backs and limping :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEIKQZL0UqQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEIKQZL0UqQ

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I'm not anti-scooter but I don't get those things. They defeat the purpose of a scooter. They're not step-through, they're not light, they're not small, you can't park them really easily. It's just a small motorcycle with a CVT. Biggest scooter I can see working is a Vespa GT.

CVT and storage are both huge selling points. Also: comfort. They are couches.

Though I agree about the Vespa GT/GTS. I borrowed a GT200 for a rally weekend and it was really nice, felt very similar to a 125-150cc scooter.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Slavvy posted:

Most old people shouldn't be driving a car, let alone riding a bike. If you have the will and the mental acuity to ride a scooter safely at that age, you can manage a bike. The number of geriatrics racing 60's deathtraps at the last race meeting I went to seemed to reinforce this. They were doing 4 lap races because everyone would get really sore if it went on longer than that, and they all climbed off holding their backs and limping :unsmith:

I'm not that geriatric (i'm only 39 after all) and the reason that I ride a scooter currently is that my beautiful country screwed me over with the drivers license. I used to live in Germany for a long time where I passed the driving test, and I rode a nice Yahama Wildstar for years. Then I moved back to Israel (where I currently reside) and they wouldn't convert the german license to the israeli one, and I ended up doing the license all over again. Unfortunately, Israel never heard of older and mature riders, so first I had to pass the A1 license exam (up to 33hp) license, ride for a year, and then get the unlimited one. Saying that, the only bike I can get in Israel that will fit under the 33hp rule, are either 250cc tiny little things, or scooters.

Hopefuly next Sunday I will pass my A license (unlimited HP) and it won't take me long to get rid of the scooter :)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is unbelievably lovely. Especially seeing as I've seen the opposite happen where someone coming from NZ with a restricted license gets upgraded to a full when moving to Australia. God speed mum, don't run over too many children in your jeep Cherokee. :australia:

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010

This guy rules, thanks for sharing.

vvvvvv

lol nice, that didn't take you very long. Grats on the scoots

BaKESAL3 fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 11, 2014

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

SaNChEzZ posted:

Picked this up from forums dude Astonishing Wang last night. Should be fun I hope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjVJ4l1WqYQ

It lives!

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Come on, rev that beast

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Slavvy posted:

That is unbelievably lovely. Especially seeing as I've seen the opposite happen where someone coming from NZ with a restricted license gets upgraded to a full when moving to Australia. God speed mum, don't run over too many children in your jeep Cherokee. :australia:

Apparently there's an awesome loophole with NZ/Fiji licences.

1. Go to Fiji on a Restricted. Or don't. Just sit the "full" test in Fiji.
2. Get a Fiji Full.
3. Come back to NZ, apply to convert Fiji Full to NZ Full.

Not sure if that's still around though.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

John Renwick is the man. He set a land speed record at Bonneville in 2008, he also has four consecutive wins at Brighton Speed Trials. All his tuning happens on a dyno he designed and built himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQIhqazUHg8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaF1GMuCaic

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Odette posted:

Apparently there's an awesome loophole with NZ/Fiji licences.

1. Go to Fiji on a Restricted. Or don't. Just sit the "full" test in Fiji.
2. Get a Fiji Full.
3. Come back to NZ, apply to convert Fiji Full to NZ Full.

Not sure if that's still around though.

My mate did this with Rarotonga last year. He said the license test was riding a scooter through some cones and across the parking lot. He now has an instant full bike license.

moudis
Feb 2, 2014

Couple of pictures of my Aprilia RSV4-R. The East Coast took our cold weather, I guess.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Very nice. I'll be getting one too soon enough

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

moudis posted:

Couple of pictures of my Aprilia RSV4-R. The East Coast took our cold weather, I guess.

Yessssss

Needs some big lion graphics though

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fantastic. Is the center headlight usually taken out to form a ramscoop on the race bikes?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

No, under the headlights on the side.

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!
Took my new 2008 Buell 1125r home yesterday. I'm going crazy wishing this snow would melt! Sucks to be in the midwest with a new bike added to the collection.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What's the riding position like compared to a Japanese sportsbike? Looks pretty relaxed lean-wise but somehow cramped as well?

moudis
Feb 2, 2014

Slavvy posted:

Fantastic. Is the center headlight usually taken out to form a ramscoop on the race bikes?

I don't believe so. There is one under each side light, much like other bikes that use that sort of intake. The frame cutouts are situated very similarly to my old GSX-R750, feeding into a gigantic airbox. The center light is the sole highbeam, curiously. Quite bright, if nothing else.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Yessssss

Needs some big lion graphics though

I was looking at RSVRs a couple of years back. The grey on red lion graphics looked incredible, I thought.

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

Slavvy posted:

What's the riding position like compared to a Japanese sportsbike? Looks pretty relaxed lean-wise but somehow cramped as well?

Well I have not taken it for a long ride yet, or any ride for that matter, but just from sitting on it, the position feels very uncramped compared to the Buell XB or something like an GSXRR1CBR1000rr FireNinjaBusaBlade. I'm also 6'5 and weigh about 250lbs and used to riding an FZ1. It's alot longer than its XB counterpart, which is great because when I leaned forward on an XB my head stuck over the windshield past the mirrors.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Incursus posted:

Well I have not taken it for a long ride yet, or any ride for that matter, but just from sitting on it, the position feels very uncramped compared to the Buell XB or something like an GSXRR1CBR1000rr FireNinjaBusaBlade. I'm also 6'5 and weigh about 250lbs and used to riding an FZ1. It's alot longer than its XB counterpart, which is great because when I leaned forward on an XB my head stuck over the windshield past the mirrors.

I really like that about my Lighting, the controls/mirrors not being in your field of view, it's like you're sitting on top of a missile. Though a lot of nakeds are probably like that.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That's pretty much what riding a Ducati 748 feels like for me. With the Ulysses, I am always aware of the beak fender.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
lovely cell pic ahoy!

Angryboot fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Feb 15, 2014

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

On my patio because I wanted to clean out the carb! Just bought this 1986 CMX450 rebel!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Angryboot posted:

lovely cell pic ahoy!

This isnt a 13' bought in Seattle was it?

I was | | close to buying one but then it was sold out from underneath me :(

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Spiffness posted:

This isnt a 13' bought in Seattle was it?

I was | | close to buying one but then it was sold out from underneath me :(

Mine's in L.A. Sucks that it happened though :( I've had that happen before and you have my sympathies.

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

Angryboot posted:

Mine's in L.A. Sucks that it happened though :( I've had that happen before and you have my sympathies.

When this happens, it just wasn't meant to be. Don't beat yourself up about it.

Mydonos
May 27, 2013

Angryboot posted:

lovely cell pic ahoy!

Dream garrage for me :)

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
If everything goes according to plan, my lovely Suzuki Burgman 400 will be replaced with this little piece of machinery:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

adary posted:

If everything goes according to plan, my lovely Suzuki Burgman 400 will be replaced with this little piece of machinery:

Hmmm.

Does that thing have a brake light and turn signals?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Hmm, is it just me or is the belt on that Harley on the opposite side to usual? I don't think I've ever seen one on the right.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Sportsters have them on the right side.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Huh, guess I've never seen a Sporty with a belt drive. Weird.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Shimrod posted:

Huh, guess I've never seen a Sporty with a belt drive. Weird.

all 1996 and later sporty's have belt drive (except the limited 'retro' editions)

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Hmm, pretty much all the Sporties around here are older than that I'm fairly sure, all the new Harley's around here that I've noticed at Fat Boys, Road Kings, etc.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
In the end I didn't get the nice little chopper since it looked a lot better in the picture than in real life, but I did get my self a Harley!

Here it is in all it's glory

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Shimrod posted:

Hmm, pretty much all the Sporties around here are older than that I'm fairly sure, all the new Harley's around here that I've noticed at Fat Boys, Road Kings, etc.

Those sportys have chains on the right side, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GGPCin
Oct 19, 2004
College Slice
Had a bit of a crash last week but what supermoto didn't? Some helpful goons got me pointed in the right direction repair wise and a quick road test turned into a 2 hour ride.

High today was 73.