Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I was unaware that the HM stood for Hardly Mentionable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I'm very surprised with the HM for Tana/Nakamura when I felt it was better than the Dome.

I'll give it a MOTYC nod.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

After rewatching main since I was too tired to properly enjoy it the first time:

MOTYC

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Shinsuke Nakamura - NJPW New Beginning Hiroshima 2/09

Definitely a ****+ match imo

Honorable Mention

Goto/Shibata vs. Okada/YOSHI-HASHI - NJPW New Beginning Hiroshima 2/09

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

How is Matlock still allowed to post in these threads.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

HulkaMatt posted:

I'm very surprised with the HM for Tana/Nakamura when I felt it was better than the Dome.

I was half asleep so I'LL WATCH IT AGAIN JEEZ YOU DICTATOR

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

Am I really the only one who loved the poo poo out of that 8 man tag?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HulkaMatt posted:

I've watched it a couple of times and while I really enjoyed it, it felt like it was really lacking a special something. Funnily enough, I did think the post-match celebration had a feeling of specialness, maybe it's because I hadn't seen it before but watching Tanahashi high-fiving and hugging the ecstatic crowd who had brought towels to wipe him down, and people hopping up and down in excitement from getting to touch him made for a really neat moment and sold me on him as a big star.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Jerusalem posted:

I've watched it a couple of times and while I really enjoyed it, it felt like it was really lacking a special something.

as a relatively new watcher you probably didn't have the same perspective, I knew the match was over when Tanahashi hit 2 High Fly Flows in a row and then when it wasn't I thought "drat they really got me", that's a really well protected finish and you don't see many people kick out of it, never mind after 2 in a row.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
Since no one else said it yet: Sheamus/Christian vs the Real Americans get an HM nomination from me.

Really fun tag match that has only made me super excited to see Cesaro/Sheamus wrestle more

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Wario Kart 64 posted:

Since no one else said it yet: Sheamus/Christian vs the Real Americans get an HM nomination from me.

Really fun tag match that has only made me super excited to see Cesaro/Sheamus wrestle more

2nd

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Wario Kart 64 posted:

3rd and an HM for Cena vs Orton. It was a good match and they won over a crowd that did not want to be won over.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!
4th for the Real Americans match, neg on the Cena/Orton Rumble copy

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I'll put up an HM for Rhodes/Mysterio vs. The Wyatts, because that was my favorite of the night and I don't think anyone else'll vote for it :shobon:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

kidcoelacanth posted:

I'll put up an HM for Rhodes/Mysterio vs. The Wyatts, because that was my favorite of the night and I don't think anyone else'll vote for it :shobon:

im not voting for it. "match of the night" isnt really what HM is for

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

Really? Even compared to the 6-mans of Raws past it was disappointing.

Cody didn't even do the slap thing!

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

John Cena posted:

im not voting for it. "match of the night" isnt really what HM is for

Well he's saying it should get credit since two other matches in the same night have HM noms, so yeah calling it match of the night implies something.

I disagree. It was a tedious match to set up a nice mysterio set of moves in front of a mysterio audience and had a cool finish. Nothing else of note.

Real Americans was real fun but both it and the main are just below HM to me. The main is further away though. Just good matches.

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013
I think it already reaches HM requirements but im gonna 5th Real Americans vs Sheamus/Christian anyways, it made me realize how much I missed both sheamus and christian

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MOTYC: Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson vs Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA - NJPW The New Beginning Osaka 2/11/14

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

kidcoelacanth posted:

It was the best match of the night in a night of good matches.

None of them were great.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

John Cena posted:

MOTYC: Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson vs Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA - NJPW The New Beginning Osaka 2/11/14

I won't give it MOTYC since I don't think it was as good as the WK8 4 Way, but I'll give it HM which is what I also gave that match. Fun spotfest, neato near falls, kinda meh finish.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

I won't give it MOTYC since I don't think it was as good as the WK8 4 Way, but I'll give it HM which is what I also gave that match. Fun spotfest, neato near falls, kinda meh finish.

Seconding the HM for Bucks vs Hooligans

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Yeah, I'll third the honorable mention, not quite MOTYC level but really drat good.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

SaberToothedPie posted:

Seconding the HM for Bucks vs Hooligans

thirding and vetoing my own over-eager nomination

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Worst Match of the Year Nomination: TenCozy (Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima) vs. Michael Tarver & Big Daddy YumYum at The New Beginning in Osaka - 2/11/14

Literally the best part of the match was before it started when Bruce Tharpe got a lot of heel heat. Match was awful, heatless, badly wrestled and included some terrible transitions. I put the blame squarely on Tarver/Big Daddy YumYum too. Jesus Christ what a drag this match was. Also I lied, best part of the match was when it ended.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

Worst Match of the Year Nomination: TenCozy (Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima) vs. Michael Tarver & Big Daddy YumYum at The New Beginning in Osaka - 2/11/14

Literally the best part of the match was before it started when Bruce Tharpe got a lot of heel heat. Match was awful, heatless, badly wrestled and included some terrible transitions. I put the blame squarely on Tarver/Big Daddy YumYum too. Jesus Christ what a drag this match was. Also I lied, best part of the match was when it ended.

Seconded.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I'll third this

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Jerusalem posted:

Do you seriously expect me to believe that a person called Big Daddy YumYum isn't the best wrestler in the world?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Feel so bad for TenCozy being stuck with these WWE developmental washouts at this stage of their careers.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

dsriggs posted:

Feel so bad for TenCozy being stuck with these WWE developmental washouts at this stage of their careers.

If they were in perfect health it'd be a waste, with how banged up both are it's a borderline disgrace.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

Jerusalem posted:

Fourthed.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

HM: Kota Ibushi vs El Desperado NJPW The New Beginning Osaka 2/11/2014

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

John Cena posted:

HM: Kota Ibushi vs El Desperado NJPW The New Beginning Osaka 2/11/2014

seconded

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
thirded, fun stuff, I loving love Ibushi consistently

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MassRafTer posted:

3rd and an HM for Cena vs Orton. It was a good match and they won over a crowd that did not want to be won over.

I'll 2nd Cena and Orton and Nth Real Americans v. Sheamus & Christian

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MOTYC: Tetsuya Naito (c) vs. Tomohiro Ishii - Never Openweight Championship Match at The New Beginning in Osaka, 2/11/14

Just built and built and built with the crowd joyfully along for the ride. Plenty of amazing looking shots, trading of punches and countering into great looking moves, great nearfalls and 2.9999 kickouts etc. Both guys looked like a million bucks, the match got plenty of time and didn't drag at all. It got a little sloppy towards the end but if anything that added to the sense that both guys had hit each other with everything. Hell of an ending too.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MATCH OF THE YEAR: TOMOHIRO ISHII V TETSUYA NAITO - NEVER Openweight Championship - NJPW The New Beginning Osaka - 2/11/2014

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MOTYC

Tomohiro Ishii vs Tetsuya Naito NJPW New Beginning Osaka 2/11

Best loving match I've seen this year without a doubt.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Jerusalem posted:

MOTYC: Tetsuya Naito (c) vs. Tomohiro Ishii - Never Openweight Championship Match at The New Beginning in Osaka, 2/11/14

Just built and built and built with the crowd joyfully along for the ride. Plenty of amazing looking shots, trading of punches and countering into great looking moves, great nearfalls and 2.9999 kickouts etc. Both guys looked like a million bucks, the match got plenty of time and didn't drag at all. It got a little sloppy towards the end but if anything that added to the sense that both guys had hit each other with everything. Hell of an ending too.

I'd take the "candidate" part off.

MOTY: Tetsuya Naito vs Tomohiro Ishii - NJPW New Beginning in Osaka

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

same ^^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Fourthed.

Incredibly exciting match. loving incredible. I had been talking to a friend earlier about how I really loving love Naito's in-ring ability and wish he had more of a character, well he definitely loving showed a character today and while it was sad to see him lose the belt it was also extremely exciting to see a real loving warrior like Ishii finally get gold. Hopefully he has a great run ahead of him, since he's been in some of the greatest matches of the last couple years and deserves the belt. Every single near-fall in that match felt like it could be the one.

And yeah, that's MOTY material already, candidacy be damned.

• Locked thread