Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

detectivemonkey posted:

Agh I can't catch up because of so much work, but I wanted to let ladythread know that I will be writing my paper tonight on schema theory about training beauty advisors at stores like Ulta or Sephora. In honor of ladythread.

Officially changing jobs in 3 weeks, made guilt cheesecake brownies for my coworkers, who will find out tomorrow that I'm :wave:.

Poopkitty I've been looking forward to your fancy dinner I don't want you to miss it!! Just like, fly your parents out to Japan for the weekend so they watch the kids? Note: this plan assumes you have a billion dollars. If that is not the case, please disregard plan.

Awww. I wish I was your co worker. Only I would be sad to see you go so I'm glad you'll be staying here. I am interested in your paper. Can I read it when you are done?

I wish I had $1,000,000. Instead I will start begging my friends to keep my kids, and also I asked Mr. Kitty his thoughts about cancellation. My biggest concern is not being able to get there. They tend to close streets/stop trains in the snow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
post the webcomik

it will be bad and i will laugh at you

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I have a nice Valentines day planned. The last time I put something together my son had to go and bust open his lip, so I'm hoping this goes better. Canceling plans for circumstances beyond your control sucks.

Also what is schema theory detectivemonkey?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Putty posted:

post the webcomik

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

poopkitty posted:

Awww. I wish I was your co worker. Only I would be sad to see you go so I'm glad you'll be staying here. I am interested in your paper. Can I read it when you are done?

I wish I had $1,000,000. Instead I will start begging my friends to keep my kids, and also I asked Mr. Kitty his thoughts about cancellation. My biggest concern is not being able to get there. They tend to close streets/stop trains in the snow.

Of course! Lady thread is probably super into schema theory. It's all schemes, spiders, and semen cookies itt.

Brownie update: they smell amazing. I will be bringing them in pre-cut for their convenience/to steal a few.

^ it's a learning theory that says you remember something by creating a mental model that includes thing learned. So for the case study I'm using an example of a person who trains new beauty advisors at a big store with a ton of make up. The advisors need to learn what they have, but they can organize it mentally in terms of "eyeliner includes liquid eyeliner, pencil and cream", and relate new products to existing items in that schema. For colors, they could think of them in terms of palette, like warm = reds, oranges, golds, and browns, while cools = pink, silver, etc. that way they're not memorizing every color, but groups.

defectivemonkey fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 11, 2014

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Putty posted:

post the webcomik

mine's real bad and has unicorns :buddy:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

nooooooooooooooooo

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Cat up against ear

Tummy rumbling

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Cat has gas

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

UnnaturalSELECTION posted:

Cat up against ear

Tummy rumbling

explosion imminent

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
havent really lived until you've had a small predator fart in your face.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

av I want to see your interpretation of a mammalian household pet crossed with an insect, your choice for either

gonna go to bed now and see what I wake up to

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Portals posted:

gonna go to bed now and see what I wake up to

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

owns

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

hot

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
bit of a butterface but i'd make it work

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
the last thing a man worth his salt thinks about is a face

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I remember in middle school absolutely hating how we read books. Like, when we were reading To Kill a Mockingbord, we had to find one symbol per chapter and describe it, and I was like, this poo poo is obvious, the old ladies give the kid a cake cause he's getting older, or whatever, I don't remember that part too well, let's just read the dang book.

It wasn't until years later, when I started arguing with nerds who are literally incapable of understadning the concept of metaphor or symbolism, that I appreciated that teaching method.

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.

Ha! a good picture

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Putty posted:

the last thing a man worth his salt thinks about is a face

But that's where I put my salt.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

I remember in middle school absolutely hating how we read books. Like, when we were reading To Kill a Mockingbord, we had to find one symbol per chapter and describe it, and I was like, this poo poo is obvious, the old ladies give the kid a cake cause he's getting older, or whatever, I don't remember that part too well, let's just read the dang book.

It wasn't until years later, when I started arguing with nerds who are literally incapable of understadning the concept of metaphor or symbolism, that I appreciated that teaching method.

I 100% do not pick up on symbolism ever. I actually really like The West Wing because all of the "literary" crap is SO IN YOUR FACE that you're like OH THEIR CHESS GAME IS LIKE THE MISSILE CRISIS THAT IS ALSO HAPPENING. And then you feel smart, but you're not really smart you're just able to pick up on heavy-handed techniques.

Plus half the time they explain the parallel in the synopsis for the episode anyway.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
the amount of symbolism i pick up on is proportional to the woowoo level of my brain

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
welp Avshalom got drunk again

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

welp Avshalom got drunk again

her thread in a/t is going places

what's up? going to ghent tomorrow for a conference

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

detectivemonkey posted:

I 100% do not pick up on symbolism ever. I actually really like The West Wing because all of the "literary" crap is SO IN YOUR FACE that you're like OH THEIR CHESS GAME IS LIKE THE MISSILE CRISIS THAT IS ALSO HAPPENING. And then you feel smart, but you're not really smart you're just able to pick up on heavy-handed techniques.

Plus half the time they explain the parallel in the synopsis for the episode anyway.

Sometimes you can go in the opposite direction though and see tons of symbolism where there probably wasn't any intended. I remember in the old TVIV Breaking Bad threads people would spend pages analyzing the symbolism of the tiniest, most meaningless poo poo ever. And they'd never listen, even if the writers went on record saying it wasn't symbolism at all but just a lucky accident.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

WEEDLORDBONERHEGEL posted:

her thread in a/t is going places

what's up? going to ghent tomorrow for a conference

writing up job applications and contacting people for references

blood test results came back normal, which is nice

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

writing up job applications and contacting people for references

blood test results came back normal, which is nice
oh wow, you must be almost done, awesome.

congrats on not dying from your goony lifestyle

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

She has nice eyes.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

congrats on not dying from your goony lifestyle

its funny how hitting the gym and cutting soda and Popeye's chicken from your diet can dramatically improve your health

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

its funny how hitting the gym and cutting soda and Popeye's chicken from your diet can dramatically improve your health
the modern american diet is hosed up and terrible for you and you are best off away from it

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

the modern american diet is hosed up and terrible for you and you are best off away from it

Truth. Plus, the best part of eliminating soda from your diet is that after like, three months without one, you can have a single sip and be all "Wow, no desert for me, thanks!" because it's so overpowering.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

yeah but I lived in England for seven years which is like the one place with a diet even worse than the American one

I'm convinced the British empire was founded on English sailors looking for something appetizing to eat.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

yeah but I lived in England for seven years which is like the one place with a diet even worse than the American one
if you like grease, you'll love england

Germans eat like hogs, but they also all love to hike and ski and mountainbike and all that crap, so on average they're fitter than we are. Austrians are kinda fat though, and they also have less of a nudity taboo than we do. Elderly businessmen swimming naked in the Danube during their lunch break.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
:psyduck: i'm not drunk, that thread is like a month old and just got bumped

hopefully i don't get banned for it

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Avshalom posted:

:psyduck: i'm not drunk, that thread is like a month old and just got bumped

hopefully i don't get banned for it
our friend, Spanish Manlove, is a mod now

also that thread owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

if your name is ever brought up for permaban I will say some good words at you avshalom

• Locked thread