Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I will argue for globes until the day Paradox implements them.
Globes are awful.

:swoon:
You can't do this with globes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Nightblade posted:

Globes are awful.

Yeah, but you can't spin that map around real fast while making "Whee" noises, so it kind of balances out.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

V for Vegas posted:

I am actually a bit irked by the map projection. Is it impossible to have the engine model a globe?

"If it's not feasible for them to program bread, let them develop cake!" :allears:

Globes is hard, dude, a lot harder than just whipping up an unfucked flat map.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was about to say Civ 4, but then I realized that even that just wraps a flat grid over a globe but still doesn't let you cross over the poles.

Kavak posted:

EDIT: ^^^^ Supreme Ruler does that, and we all know how that series turns out...

Populous: The Beginning had a full-3D globe thing going on too, and P:TB was the best RTS ever made by man or God.

Though actually I think they faked it with some weird spiral-cylinder-torus coordinate system or something.

Kavak posted:

How the hell does he have over 500 posts? Or does Paradox just shut discussions down and not necessarily ban the posters?

You can get banned for doing something ban worthy, and for lesser offences you get infracted. Accrue enough infractions and you get a temp ban, but I don't think they ever roll up into a full ban. And no, just being a full blown nazi is not enough for an infraction, not unless you start questioning the legitimacy of the holocaust or throwing around racial slurs. Plus, I think the regular mods don't like kicking things up the chain of command too often, so they're more likely to drop a thousand infaction points on you than request a ban.

Plus, mods can be nazis themselves! :v:

When the criterion for modhood is "least worst poster in the HOI forum", that's not a high bar to clear.

fspades posted:

Literal Nazis are one thing, but what's up with Paradox forums and self-proclaimed "monarchists". Who the hell are these people? Do they live with us here in the 21st century? Why do I never encounter them in the real world?

It's a nerd thing isn't it?

Monarchists are totally a real thing and in real life, dude! For instance, I'm fairly certain the entire reader base of the Daily Mail are monarchists. And yeah, of course they gravitate to the spergy history game forum, where else are they going to go? Reactionaries are like fascists from before fascism was cool. :colbert:

Besides, Kaiser Wilhelm crazies are pretty tame by Pdox standards. There's this one hoopy frood (I want to say canonized?) who's convinced that the Middle Ages were, no joking, Europe's Golden Age, and that it's all been downhill since the Protestant Reformation. Like, hey, 95% of the population spend their entire lives toiling in filth and squalor to someone else's benefit, with no hope of improvement, and the land is riven with plague and war and famine, but at least everyone has a clearly defined position in a divinely-ordained hierarchy under the guidance of the one true and undivided Catholic Church. :v:

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Kavak posted:

Yeah, but you can't spin that map around real fast while making "Whee" noises, so it kind of balances out.

Only if spinning too fast causes your armies to shoot out into space.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Nightblade posted:

Only if spinning too fast causes your armies to shoot out into space.
Paradox space game confirmed.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Autonomous Monster posted:

(I want to say canonized?)

Orinsul, that was it.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Besides, Kaiser Wilhelm crazies are pretty tame by Pdox standards. There's this one hoopy frood (I want to say canonized?) who's convinced that the Middle Ages were, no joking, Europe's Golden Age, and that it's all been downhill since the Protestant Reformation. Like, hey, 95% of the population spend their entire lives toiling in filth and squalor to someone else's benefit, with no hope of improvement, and the land is riven with plague and war and famine, but at least everyone has a clearly defined position in a divinely-ordained hierarchy under the guidance of the one true and undivided Catholic Church. :v:

You may be thinking of Karl/Charles I of Austria, the last emperor of Austria, who was beatified (but not canonized) in 2004.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
This is the guy running the post-apocalyptic America mod. Needless to say, nothing is getting done and they've spent years and haven't even planned out the map yet, let alone begun to program it into the game. The thread is literally nothing but them hashing out this scenario that nobody will ever turn into a mod and Orinsul waving his dick and claiming ownership over it. I started a competing one just to show them up, but really the only interesting part was turning New York City into a CK2 map (which I still have, if anybody wants to put it to use).

*e* Oh man, this is rich. Orinsul's HD died, so he totally lost whatever progress he did make on the mod. Like, he never even thought to put it on Dropbox or Google Drive.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Feb 11, 2014

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

The Narrator posted:

You may be thinking of Karl/Charles I of Austria, the last emperor of Austria, who was beatified (but not canonized) in 2004.

Aha, no, sorry, I should have been clearer: there is actually a crazy Paradox poster with the username "canonized" (all lower case). He is bonkers, and once wrote a bizarre, gargantuan narrative AAR involving time travel, but he was not actually the crazy I was looking for.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Nightblade posted:

Globes are awful.

Globe:

Pros:
    Gameplay - Spatial relationships match the real world, instead of being completely hosed.
    Development - No need to ever fiddle with projections again, allowing Paradox to more easily update maps between games/expansions.
    Gameplay - Allows over-the-Pole action in games set in the modern era

Cons:
    "Eye candy" - Can't see the entire world at once

"If it's not feasible for them to program bread, let them develop cake!" :allears:

Globes is hard, dude, a lot harder than just whipping up an unfucked flat map.
Can you explain why globes are so hard? Because flat maps are inherently hosed. (And Paradox maps are even more hosed than just the translation into flat maps requires.) Obviously flat maps can be sorta unfucked if you stick to a projection and don't move continents around, by having formulas that make sure distances work like on a globe instead of a map, but aren't you starting to move into the same sort of complexity you would have to deal with on a globe map then?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Ofaloaf posted:

I never really "got" native localization for everything. It just made it confusing to decipher events, oftentimes still ended up being irregulary applied due to limitations ("Roi of France" comes to mind for CK2), and didn't make much sense from an RP perspective either (if the character was a German than all the names should be in German because that's how he'd see it, right? Except then translation conventions come into play and it all comes out as English anyways).

Yeah, I think there's a case for it where in English (or whatever localised language the game is set to) we called the country differently depending on who was ruling it, but I'm not fond of the localisations otherwise. So I'm fine with the Duchy of Galloway being the Petty Kingdom of Strathclyde when there's a welsh ruler, because that's the English name of the Brythonic kingdom that inhabited the area during the early part of the game's timeframe, but changing everything to local names doesn't make sense to me when I have the game's language set to English.

It wouldn't even be that bad if they at least did with localised names what they do with Dynasty-named states and put the unaltered name alongside when you highlight the coat of arms. So we get "Seljuk Sultanate [Sultanate of Persia]" why not have "Petty Kingdom of Strathclyde [Duchy of Galloway]"?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Aha, no, sorry, I should have been clearer: there is actually a crazy Paradox poster with the username "canonized" (all lower case). He is bonkers, and once wrote a bizarre, gargantuan narrative AAR involving time travel, but he was not actually the crazy I was looking for.

Whooops. Well, now I feel quite a fool :blush:

That's... quite a user. The Pdox forums are always good for some interesting character studies.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Can you explain why globes are so hard? Because flat maps are inherently hosed. (And Paradox maps are even more hosed than just the translation into flat maps requires.) Obviously flat maps can be sorta unfucked if you stick to a projection and don't move continents around, by having formulas that make sure distances work like on a globe instead of a map, but aren't you starting to move into the same sort of complexity you would have to deal with on a globe map then?
Is it even possible to model a globe in the way you're thinking? Pretty much every globe visualization in town just projects a flat texture onto a sphere. I wouldn't even know how Paradox would go about making and texturing such a thing without relying on the same 2d graphical doodads they use now.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

fspades posted:

Literal Nazis are one thing, but what's up with Paradox forums and self-proclaimed "monarchists". Who the hell are these people? Do they live with us here in the 21st century? Why do I never encounter them in the real world?

You do realize that most Monarchies in Europe at least are supported by a large majority of the population right?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I think they've said they don't want to/won't do a globe.

But yeah, I think it would be cool. Especially for something like HOI4 with the day night cycle. It would just look so much neater if you could zoom out and it would be all 'Xcom'.

THE LESBIATHAN
Jan 22, 2011

The name Daria was already taken.

My favorite bit is that no one actually understands the plot, but they're sure its really good!

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Kainser posted:

You do realize that most Monarchies in Europe at least are supported by a large majority of the population right?

Monarchs were pretty much all loved by their people. When bad stuff happened it was usually blamed on those dastardly advisers leading the king wrong!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Is it even possible to model a globe in the way you're thinking? Pretty much every globe visualization in town just projects a flat texture onto a sphere. I wouldn't even know how Paradox would go about making and texturing such a thing without relying on the same 2d graphical doodads they use now.
Sure, the terrain, provinces and so would be drawn on an equirectangular projection, which is then applied to a sphere like any other texture on a 3d object. The projection unto the 3d object is what unfucks that projection, making the globe representative of the real world instead of some weird cylindrical one. Then it's just (or "just"?) a matter of using real world coordinates for positions, and calculating distances across the sphere instead of on the map. (Which ensures that North America is the correct distance away from southern Norway, instead of literally twice as far away like on the flat map.)

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 11, 2014

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Fintilgin posted:

I think they've said they don't want to/won't do a globe.

But yeah, I think it would be cool. Especially for something like HOI4 with the day night cycle. It would just look so much neater if you could zoom out and it would be all 'Xcom'.

Remember how in XCOM the Skyranger would sometimes fly in one pole and out the other? Globes are the worst!

More seriously, it would be quite a lot of effort to make, so it's unlikely to be something we do until/unless we really need to be able to travel over the poles like in a cold war or modern era game.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Now I'm envisioning a Paradox game where you have to manage your nation in the age of XCOM. Manage expenditures between media suppression, riot control/police, funding for XCOM, rebuilding of collateral damage and economic expansion to keep up with rising costs. How long can you keep telling The Commander that he can address the abductions in the other countries, you don't need the help just yet? Do you buy spare Plasma Rifles off the Grey Market to fund your own paramilitary force? Do you want to take advantage of the rising terror in the neighboring country to send some troops there on a "peacekeeping mission"? Can you keep your advisors uncorrupted by the Ethereals long enough for the final strike against Cydonia?

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

DrProsek posted:

rebels all use the Rome civil war mechanics so you can switch over to the communist rebels and lead the people's revolution against your own government.

Please make this a thing. Victoria's rebel system is so stupid at the moment.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Darkrenown posted:

Remember how in XCOM the Skyranger would sometimes fly in one pole and out the other? Globes are the worst!

More seriously, it would be quite a lot of effort to make, so it's unlikely to be something we do until/unless we really need to be able to travel over the poles like in a cold war or modern era game.

Well, the poles would be impassable wasteland anyway, so that problem's solved.

It's one of those features that's totally fluff/aesthetic, so I totally understand why you guys don't do it, but I don't think it would LOOK pretty amazing, especially for something like HOI. I honestly think it would move copies and get good previews, just because it would visually be a big jump like moving from the old 2D EUII style maps to the new 3D ones.

Playing at zoomed in level would like 95% the same anyway.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Besides, Kaiser Wilhelm crazies are pretty tame by Pdox standards. There's this one hoopy frood (I want to say canonized?) who's convinced that the Middle Ages were, no joking, Europe's Golden Age, and that it's all been downhill since the Protestant Reformation. Like, hey, 95% of the population spend their entire lives toiling in filth and squalor to someone else's benefit, with no hope of improvement, and the land is riven with plague and war and famine,
That's pretty much all of Europe until the 1800s though.

James The 1st fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 11, 2014

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Fintilgin posted:

It's one of those features that's totally fluff/aesthetic, so I totally understand why you guys don't do it, but I don't think it would LOOK pretty amazing, especially for something like HOI. I honestly think it would move copies and get good previews, just because it would visually be a big jump like moving from the old 2D EUII style maps to the new 3D ones.

There are still people mad we moved to 3d maps, imagine what would happen if we made globes :ohdear:

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
^^^^^^^ DIE DIE DIE

Fintilgin posted:

big jump like moving from the old 2D EUII style maps to the new 3D ones.

Biggest mistake they ever made. Can anyone mod EU3 DW's map into EU4 for me? TIA

Edit: I'd be fine with flat textures on a globe though.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Darkrenown posted:

There are still people mad we moved to 3d maps, imagine what would happen if we made globes :ohdear:

What you ought to do is to make Morporkia Universalis. A fully 3D map of a flat world balanced upon four elephants who balance atop a giant turtle, who swims through space.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Tomn posted:

What you ought to do is to make Morporkia Universalis. A fully 3D map of a flat world balanced upon four elephants who balance atop a giant turtle, who swims through space.

This exists

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Tomn posted:

I totally want this to be a thing

Rumda posted:

This exists

wut?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Rumda posted:

This exists

I'm aware of the mod, but it's not fully 3D and it doesn't model the turtle and the elephants, does it? Can you look at the underside of the Disc?

I thought not. :colbert:

Edit:

Fairly certain this is what he was talking about.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 11, 2014

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Rumda posted:

This exists
:aaaaa:
Tell me more. I will buy whatever game and dlc required

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

fspades posted:

I'm actually friends with a bunch of Americans who are legit monarchists. They're all right-wing Catholics who reacted to the "everything was poo poo" popular misconception about the Middle Ages by saying "no, everything was sunshine and roses and it's been downhill since the 1500s." (They're nice people but very crazy.)

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
That Discworld mod is actually pretty cool looking, as far as interesting maps go.

Also, is there any particular reason why the EY4 in all its weird oddity, just asked me as Muscovy, to challenge the Glorious Lithuanian-Genoese Personal Union in a succession war? I wasn't aware I was even connected to Genoa in anyway, let alone this absurdity.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I will never understand monarchists. The idea of a hereditary head of state should have died with this guy.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
And yet the idea of holding a popularity contest to see who gets to rule is still done.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Westminster System posted:

That Discworld mod is actually pretty cool looking, as far as interesting maps go.

Also, is there any particular reason why the EY4 in all its weird oddity, just asked me as Muscovy, to challenge the Glorious Lithuanian-Genoese Personal Union in a succession war? I wasn't aware I was even connected to Genoa in anyway, let alone this absurdity.

Same dynasty, probably.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I think the kind of 'monarchists' you see talking about how everything was so much better during the middle ages or whatever, are more generally just hardcore romanticists of that era, which ends up folding in the Arthurian image of a shining King that lives and reigns as a beacon for all (which amusingly enough doesn't fit that well with the lore itself, however many changes its seen). Their logic is that everything was better then, including Kings, and therefore the Kings must have been a key part in the utopias they imagine.

Generally, what has sustained the notion of a monarchy in Europe has been a combination of change, practical usage (yes, this is a thing), some good PR, and possibly comedic levity. I suppose its because stuff like Crusader Kings is focused on the continuation of one's dynasty against other dynasties that the politics of keeping yourself popular to the people is 'don't fire up revolts' and not much else, and it would admittedly add on a tonne of potential mechanics that would need so much extra work to implement into games proper. But, it would be cool if like, say you failed in stopping a peasant revolt, or otherwise sparked a civil war that saw your dynasty banished, you then get prompted about the possibility of an English Restoration style scenario wherein you can regain your crown, at the cost of certain caps on your power.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Somebody posted a fantastic modding tool for Darkest Hour out of nowhere last night. Had to restart my computer to get it to cooperate, but it works.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Riso posted:

And yet the idea of holding a popularity contest to see who gets to rule is still done.

Dubya was at least capable of forming words.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

I'm actually friends with a bunch of Americans who are legit monarchists. They're all right-wing Catholics who reacted to the "everything was poo poo" popular misconception about the Middle Ages by saying "no, everything was sunshine and roses and it's been downhill since the 1500s." (They're nice people but very crazy.)

Frankly, I can see where they're coming from. The 8th-13th centuries are probably my favorite period to study, and a lot happens in terms of scientific development and cultural change that's just brushed over with the really ridiculous "poverty and squalor and ignorance" brush that just infuriates me when I see people talk here and elsewhere. How the idea of planting clover to more rapidly recharge soil originated in Flanders and slowly appears/disappears again in a sort of patchwork over Europe for the next four hundred years is one of my favorite topics. The beginning of using oxen as draft animals around 1000, one of the biggest advances ever in terms of agricultural efficiency (the vaunted Romans never did that!), is similarly ignored. A lot of history buffs like to talk about cities, about Rome and Constantinople, or Florence and Venice, or London and Paris, and there's a whole exciting world out there in the fields that they never address, so during the eclipse of the cities they just think "welp, nothing's going on." Rural history has always been fascinating to me, and in the Middle Ages where it takes the forefront it is even more so. I just really hate it when people bash the Middle Ages because it doesn't contain enough urban life and act as if there aren't amazing, exciting changes (more rapid regeneration of soil! The three-field rotation system!) going on in this period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Riso posted:

Monarchies are such a weird roll of the dice. Yeah, sometimes you get the kind of driven, farsighted, ambitious person who changes history and gets monuments dedicated to them a thousand years after their death, but more often you get their socially awkward , incompetent children who never would have got anywhere near real power if they hadn't been born in to it. Like Marcus Aurelius and Commodus, Edward I and Edward II , :buddy: George Bush and George W. Bush.

I guess it's nice if you think you're going to be one of the nobles, but there's a reason most of the landed nobility were killed or lost power in Europe and it sure aint because they were so nice and benevolent.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Dubya was at least capable of forming words.

He's a very misunderestimated man.

Ghetto Prince fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 11, 2014

• Locked thread