Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Similar images run through my Facebook feed on occasion, it's pretty annoying because it's all just echo chamber bullshit. It's not like anyone already a liberal/democrat/progressive is going to look at a picture like that and say "look at those crones I better vote Republican from now on!"

It's also always the standard Fox news tactic of glamour shot of Sarah Palin vs. Hillary Clinton taking a bite out of a cheeseburger. I guess conservatives have to sit around and talk about how ugly those filthy liberated women are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

SedanChair posted:

Her solution is to dress in a manner tantamount to a balding man purchasing a Corvette.

Ah Pook posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about Sarah Palin dressing up like the white trash mom from Sons of Anarchy.

You know, even if it's Sarah Palin, you could stop judging her for the way she looks when she's not in a professional situation... Just a suggestion? Personally, I just hope I'll be able to maintain a good figure as well as she does at that age.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

nm

beatlegs fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Feb 11, 2014

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Well, this just came up in my news feed:

Obama does what Republicans ask, gets yelled at by Republicans

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

meristem posted:

You know, even if it's Sarah Palin, you could stop judging her for the way she looks when she's not in a professional situation... Just a suggestion? Personally, I just hope I'll be able to maintain a good figure as well as she does at that age.

That's stupid, she has terrible taste and it's OK to mock that.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
That lady looks completely dateable other than the haircut, I think the article made it pretty clear her problem is the standard she's holding conservative men to.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
This is the dumbest derail.

I mean, I know it's kind of been a slow news week and all, but good god.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Hey guys, The Wall Street Journal would like to remind you that there's no such thing as a war on women.

Michael Taranto posted:

Winerip notes that between 2005 and 2010, "more than 60 percent of claims involving sexual violence handled by United Educators"--an insurance company owned by member schools--"involved young women who were so drunk they had no clear memory of the assault." We know from Sgt. Cournoyer that the accused young men typically are drinking to excess, too. What is called the problem of "sexual assault" on campus is in large part a problem of reckless alcohol consumption, by men and women alike. (Based on our reporting, the same is true in the military, at least in the enlisted and company-grade officer ranks.)

Which points to a limitation of the drunk-driving analogy. If two drunk drivers are in a collision, one doesn't determine fault on the basis of demographic details such as each driver's sex. But when two drunken college students "collide," the male one is almost always presumed to be at fault. His diminished capacity owing to alcohol is not a mitigating factor, but her diminished capacity is an aggravating factor for him.

But as Mac Donald notes, contemporary feminists "embrace the Victorian conceit of delicate female vulnerability while leaving out the sexual modesty that once accompanied it." That they do all this in the name of equality is downright Orwellian.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

skaboomizzy posted:

Hey guys, The Wall Street Journal would like to remind you that there's no such thing as a war on women.

Dude, bro. He's asking an important question. How can there be a war on women when six in 10 were totally wasted and probably dtf at the time?

How's a bro supposed to be a true bro in this crazy, modern world?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

quote:

What is called the problem of "sexual assault" on campus

*takes deep breath to intone "gently caress you"*

quote:

is in large part a problem of reckless alcohol consumption, by men and women alike

*is suddenly confused by the need to fill lungs with more air than there is in the world*

Oh boy, promptly followed by climate change denial. News Corp is cancer.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

skaboomizzy posted:

Why the gently caress is the Wall Street Journal opining about the nature of sexual assault on college campuses?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Notorious QIG posted:

Why the gently caress is the Wall Street Journal opining about the nature of sexual assault on college campuses?

A significant percentage of their readers did things of that nature.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Van Kraken posted:

I love this picture.

Liberals:
  • Senior Advisor to the President
  • Activist
  • Secretary of State/US Senator
  • Supreme Court Justice
  • UC President/Secretary of Homeland Security/Governor of Arizona/Attorney General of Arizona
  • Activist/Journalist
  • Activist
  • US Senator/Chairman of the United States Senate Select Committee on Intelligence/Chairman of the International Narcotics Control Caucus/Chairman of the Senate Committee on Rules and Administration/Mayor of San Francisco
  • Comedian/Actress
  • Comedian/Activist

Conservatives:
  • Actress
  • Political commentator
  • Podcaster
  • News anchor
  • Columnist/Speechwriter
  • Columnist/Author
  • Governor of Alaska/Mayor of Wasilla
  • Journalist
  • Writer
  • Talk radio host

Shelly Roche doesn't even have a Wikipedia page. The liberals in positions of power outnumber the conservatives 5-to-1 if you're being generous and counting Sarah Palin. (You shouldn't be generous.)

There's also the fact that the majority of the liberal women depicted happen to be in their 50s or older, while the majority of conservative women are in their late-20s to early 40s. Turns out age does a number on one's looks! :o:

Ashley Herzog also doesn't have a Wikipedia page.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Darkman Fanpage posted:

There's also the fact that the majority of the liberal women depicted happen to be in their 50s or older, while the majority of conservative women are in their late-20s to early 40s. Turns out age does a number on one's looks! :o:

I think you're looking in the wrong Wikipedia let me help you. Honestly most of conservatism is pretty NN;D.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
It's almost comedic how many hoops conservatives will jump through to grant women the equal right to be raped but paying them the same amount of money for working the same job as a man is just too much. Priorities.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
Ahaha, this is great. This is so far out there it's borderline satire.

quote:

Poverty and unemployment are at near-record levels, the economy is stalled, and a record 47 million Americans are on food stamps, yet aides for first lady Michelle Obama’s tweeted out a picture of her two dogs apparently dining at a table laid with crystal and china.

“Bone appétit!,” the aides added to the insensitive tweet, using the language of France’s queen Marie Antoinette, who was executed by radicals in 1793.

Bone appétit! pic.twitter.com/vuXRoKEnGY
— FLOTUS (@FLOTUS) February 11, 2014

One dog appears to be wearing a jeweled necklace. The other is wearing a red ribbon.

Obama’s media courtiers applauded the ostentatious display of canine luxury. “Bo And Sunny Obama Get Decked Out For The State Dinner And It’s Pretty Adorable,” says the headline on an article at the Huffington Post.

In 1980, Ronald Reagan’s wife, Nancy, was relentlessly criticized in the press after she ordered a new set of china for the White House during the painful recession created under Democratic President Jimmy Carter.

The china was bought with donated funds, yet it prompted so much media controversy that it was not used until February 1982. “Nancy Reagan’s new china set survived its White House debut intact. Nary a $48 cup was broken,” declared a snarky AP article.

The palace dogs tweet was quickly praised by Obama’s followers.

“So cute! Aww!” said a tweet from Erica.

“OMG SO CUTE,” said Jessica.

Others reactions were jaundiced. “#Boneghazi,” said a tweet from SeaWorldSammy. “Don’t laugh. That will be the @FoxNews headliner tomorrow,” he added.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
They also apparently dine on high tech invisible food not available to you the common man

Bo's bling necklace is kind of tacky though, gotta give them that.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Intel&Sebastian posted:

They also apparently dine on high tech invisible food not available to you the common man

Bo's bling necklace is kind of tacky though, gotta give them that.

Only filthy poors eat visible food, my good man.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Table settings, how dare they. President Hollande should be greeted with second-hand plastic tumblers and tv trays. That wouldn't attract any criticism.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

Jagged Jim posted:

Only filthy poors eat visible food, my good man.

I imagine it's like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBlhAPlmRPg

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah but that's understandable. There's a lot of messages and explicit imagery that are antithetical to a RW mindset in Wall-E. The message of the LEGO movie is pretty much "Feel free to be creative in your own stupid way" and the imagery is so removed from reality that it's a stretch to say it has a message in itself other than "you can do goddamn anything with LEGOs".

In fact I could interpret the ending as a conservative leaning moral if I viewed it a certain way.

They'll bend and twist anything into an attack if they can find a way to do it (War on Christmas, Christian persecution, liberal media, Muppet movie, voter registration, contraception in the ACA) which is all well and good but always strikes me as odd coming from the party with the mindset of rugged individualism and never blaming others for your problems and shortcomings.

Still waiting for the them to spin the Michael Sam thing in a bad light but I haven't heard much about it.

Spacedad posted:

This also flies in the face of a lot of bullshit you often hear from right wingers praising the 'common sense' of rural people and the like. While the pragmatism of the country survival might have been true at one time, these days it's city life where the strongest sense of pragmatic reality exists. Country life has increasingly become a bastion of delusion and disconnection from reality.

See also: changing the name of The Washington Redskins, which I'm all for, even though it's not real high up on the list of poo poo That Bothers Me and Affects My Life, but hat's wrong with Washington Warriors or something? Whatever, but their argument is "it's a tradition!!!" So what? A lot of things used to be traditions that have faded away as we've learned and grown.

If they do cave in and change the name, expect a plethora of Washington REDSKINS!!!! FREEDOM!!!! bumper stickers and poo poo to appear everywhere, much like the Duck Dynasty nonsense. I hope it happens because I find it helpful to be able to identify assholes and bigots so easily. Saves me a lot of time.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 11, 2014

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
"This movie about a manufactured commercial product aimed at children that rakes in millions of dollars is anti-capitalism"

- A Conservative

Edit: gently caress. Sorry. double post.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The real fight against changing the name is that the team is one of the most lucrative in the NFL and the brand is a big part of that. Dan Snyder doesn't give a poo poo about tradition or whatever but it's a nice line to use since he doesn't want to lose money if whatever team that replaces the Redskins isn't as marketable. It's funny since you'd think the dude who complained a political cartoon where he was drawn as a devil was anti-Semitic would be a little more sensitive to racial iconography.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Imagine if he wasn't an obstinate dick when this first started gathering steam, he could've aped Seattle and came up with a non-offensive NA reference name and imagery, had Nike re-do their jerseys too and be sitting on a pile of cash and a lot less terrible PR.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Radish posted:

The real fight against changing the name is that the team is one of the most lucrative in the NFL and the brand is a big part of that. Dan Snyder doesn't give a poo poo about tradition or whatever but it's a nice line to use since he doesn't want to lose money if whatever team that replaces the Redskins isn't as marketable.

The value of the team is not the name, its the location and the fact that its in the NFC East aka The Unavoidable Division*. If Snyder had switched the name in a tasteful manner nobody would have known or cared because after the first week every American who watched football would have had the name change driven into their skull and been exhorted to buy new commemorative poo poo.

*Prime Time Every Time

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
This is pretty inspiring - Over 80 thousand people in North Carolina have had enough, and came together to say "gently caress you, right wing extremists."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAbeTp44NTY

Eponymouse
Nov 2, 2013

Beneath the skin, we are already one.

skaboomizzy posted:

Wouldn't a more apt analogy be a drunk driver colliding with a drunk person walking along the road rather than two drunk drivers colliding. Only in the first case society blames the drunk walker for being too drunk to jump out of the way of the car.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
It's more like being so drunk you think it might be fun to get hit by a car and implying that 51% of the population of the planet secretly harbors that desire.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Darkman Fanpage posted:

That's not really a surprise. She's a local from my hometown who started to get traction on townhall.com and some other things like that after college. I went to school with one of her younger sisters, and they're very stereotypical white suburban republicans. It's the epitome of cherry picking because straight up I wouldn't know who the hell she was if I didn't know who the family was, meaning pretty much no national audience knows her. Weirdly, she backed Hilary in 2008, which I guarantee whoever wrote that didn't know.

Also, she wrote this. It's worth noting that her married name is Bristow, and her husband wrote this gem.

If you skipped the second link you really shouldn't.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

TheGreyGhost posted:

If you skipped the second link you really shouldn't.

Two hundred dollars for a paperback?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

$340+ for the new ones.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Gotta tell those nice dudes at the local gun show that they're waaaay underpricing their patriotic literature.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm trying to imagine my reaction if the premise of that weird book turned out to be true.

Guy: Science has recently found out that some of the first settlers of North America were white people from Europe, but later waves of immigrants from Asia interbred with them or wiped them out wholesale.

Me: Oh. OK. Neat, I guess.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
I know bill maher doesn't get a lot of love in this thread. I listen to the podcast of his hbo show, the overtime segment is definitely the best part. Why in the world id SE Cupp treated as a serious person. Her "insights" are so profoundly dumb it hurts. If I remember correctly, she hosted a Twitter debate during the republican primary- I followed it- it was (un)surprisingly dumb as hell.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Infomaniac posted:

Why in the world id SE Cupp treated as a serious person

Name, appearance, somebody liked her. Wingnut welfare.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Sarah Cupp is ostensibly an atheist but spends a lot of airtime bemoaning American atheists and talking about how much netter Christians are. So that's part of the reason conservatives like her.

Edit: Also when S. E. Cupp is said aloud it sounds like A C Cup which is amusing to people with juvenile senses of humour

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

As several other posters have pointed out, it's hard to read her name without thinking "Sip-e Cup"

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'm trying to imagine my reaction if the premise of that weird book turned out to be true.

Guy: Science has recently found out that some of the first settlers of North America were white people from Europe, but later waves of immigrants from Asia interbred with them or wiped them out wholesale.

Me: Oh. OK. Neat, I guess.

Maybe convert to Mormonism?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Rygar201 posted:

Sarah Cupp is ostensibly an atheist but spends a lot of airtime bemoaning American atheists and talking about how much netter Christians are. So that's part of the reason conservatives like her.

Edit: Also when S. E. Cupp is said aloud it sounds like A C Cup which is amusing to people with juvenile senses of humour

Didn't she write some dumb book about "Liberal Christianity or how Americans are losing their religion" or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Radish posted:

It's funny since you'd think the dude who complained a political cartoon where he was drawn as a devil was anti-Semitic would be a little more sensitive to racial iconography.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/redskins-kike-owner-refuses-to-change-teams-offens,34292/