Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thetedster
Jan 31, 2007

SpeedRazor posted:

No admin tools currently installed, unless the users dupe their own items somehow it's all vanilla on the server for the most part.

I got about halfway around the planet before running out of rails and very nearly quit to dupe more, but Neodymium and Colosmicon delivered me from temptation and helped me gather the rest of the ore we needed and placed the rails. We then went on a rampage across the galaxy tearing apart Glitch castles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syphilicious!
Jul 26, 2007
So I have a wee bit of a problem. I am unable to travel between planet systems; the sound to get "out" of warp generally plays, but the stars never stop rushing by and the ship of course never settles down over my destination; I just continue rushing forward at hyper speed indefinitely. I'm able to travel between planets within the small system I'm currently on, but that's about it. I haven't tried jumping to different stars yet, mostly because even when I save and quit after the bug has occurred the 50 fuel I used up is still lost and if the same happens when I go for a 200-fuel trip it'll be even more of a pain in the rear end.

Anyone else encountered this? I'm on delta sector now and I don't want to go through all the trouble of working my way back up again if my character's file is broken or something.

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm going to guess anyone building on that sort of scale is running one of those "everything for a pixel" mods. Although at least for glass you can hoover up a tremendous amount of sand pretty quickly. Building a castle out of recycled temple bricks or something without accommodating mods is horrific.

On the goon server, there was a joint effort to find and disassemble Glitch castles. There are also some large buildings made out of reinforced tech blocks, which are the result of a whole lot of ore refinery activity.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Is there a mod to help sort inventories? I can't keep track of all my stuff anymore.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Syphilicious! posted:

So I have a wee bit of a problem. I am unable to travel between planet systems; the sound to get "out" of warp generally plays, but the stars never stop rushing by and the ship of course never settles down over my destination; I just continue rushing forward at hyper speed indefinitely. I'm able to travel between planets within the small system I'm currently on, but that's about it. I haven't tried jumping to different stars yet, mostly because even when I save and quit after the bug has occurred the 50 fuel I used up is still lost and if the same happens when I go for a 200-fuel trip it'll be even more of a pain in the rear end.

Anyone else encountered this? I'm on delta sector now and I don't want to go through all the trouble of working my way back up again if my character's file is broken or something.

Unless you found a new one, I think this is a bug involving traveling to volcanic or magma biome planets. this is the unofficial fix for that but it's been reported enough times that I'm sure the devs will have an official fix for it in the next update (unless, of course, it's a symptom of a much larger problem)

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Is anyone using the Printing Press mod? I unzipped it to the mod folder and there is supposed to be a new craftable printing press under the workbench list but it never shows up.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Does anyone know if it's possible to use StarCheat to modify damage and projectile type on random weapons?

Loner-Assassin
Mar 18, 2008

The Fragrance of Dark Coffee

shiksa posted:

Unless you found a new one, I think this is a bug involving traveling to volcanic or magma biome planets. this is the unofficial fix for that but it's been reported enough times that I'm sure the devs will have an official fix for it in the next update (unless, of course, it's a symptom of a much larger problem)

That explains a lot, thank you, fixed it for me!

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones
e: I'm a dumb butt who doesn't pay attention to mod updates.

HoboNews fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 11, 2014

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Modder goons: Is there some way i'm missing to have a tool deplete another item as a fuel source? Like if you wanted the paint gun to slowly drain a stack of solarium ore or some such.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I'm still pootling around on the starter planet, but in my short time with the game I've already found half a dozen melee weapons including a giant fire hammer and my current favourite, an Odin-worthy spear that hurls lightning with LMB and poisons enemies with RMB, as well as a couple of Avian machine guns from my recent discovery of an underground Avian temple, which I summarily murdered my way through and then robbed blind, finding in the process a wonderful golden duckie and a few starmap and data screens.

I'm still totally clueless as to what else to do (and apparently my ship won't use unrefined wood for fuel so I'm stuck coalmining) and would love to jump in on some goon shenanigans at some point. Any goon servers up currently? I read the first few pages then jumped forward to the last ten ao forgive me if I missed anything.

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!

CitrusFrog posted:

I'm still pootling around on the starter planet, but in my short time with the game I've already found half a dozen melee weapons including a giant fire hammer and my current favourite, an Odin-worthy spear that hurls lightning with LMB and poisons enemies with RMB, as well as a couple of Avian machine guns from my recent discovery of an underground Avian temple, which I summarily murdered my way through and then robbed blind, finding in the process a wonderful golden duckie and a few starmap and data screens.

I'm still totally clueless as to what else to do (and apparently my ship won't use unrefined wood for fuel so I'm stuck coalmining) and would love to jump in on some goon shenanigans at some point. Any goon servers up currently? I read the first few pages then jumped forward to the last ten ao forgive me if I missed anything.

Protip: plant a tree farm and burn wood in a stone furnace for quick coal.

A A 2 3 5 8 K
Nov 24, 2003
Illiteracy... what does that word even mean?

CitrusFrog posted:

I'm still totally clueless as to what else to do (and apparently my ship won't use unrefined wood for fuel so I'm stuck coalmining)

You can turn the unrefined wood into coal at the furnace.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Off to my ship's furnace I go then! That's just opened up the entire universe to me, now to see strange new worlds, discover new life, and new civilisations, and boldly get murdered by a squad of avians with machineguns.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

CitrusFrog posted:

Off to my ship's furnace I go then! That's just opened up the entire universe to me, now to see strange new worlds, discover new life, and new civilisations, and boldly get murdered by a squad of avians with machineguns.

Also, traveling to moons only costs one fuel and planets in the same solar system (right click on the travel screen) cost less than jumping to a different system.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

shiksa posted:

Also, traveling to moons only costs one fuel and planets in the same solar system (right click on the travel screen) cost less than jumping to a different system.

Sadly I was plopped on a moonless planet but there are three gas giants with single moons and a couple of other habitables in the system. 100 fuel for within system jumps, right? Also, what is needed to explore asteroids?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

TheSpookyDanger posted:

Modder goons: Is there some way i'm missing to have a tool deplete another item as a fuel source? Like if you wanted the paint gun to slowly drain a stack of solarium ore or some such.
Have you tried giving it durability and making it use the item to repair?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

CitrusFrog posted:

Sadly I was plopped on a moonless planet but there are three gas giants with single moons and a couple of other habitables in the system. 100 fuel for within system jumps, right? Also, what is needed to explore asteroids?

Survival backpack for air, high level armour or a nanostove for heat. Bubble techs are useful for navigation.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Zereth posted:

Have you tried giving it durability and making it use the item to repair?

I was hoping for a way to make it actually take up the item for you on use, instead of the normal way that tools work like now. I'm guessing that isn't possible currently, i'll need to wait until they add more scripting stuff in the future.

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones

stuntwaffle posted:

Protip: plant a tree farm and burn wood in a stone furnace for quick coal.

You can do that?!

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

HoboNews posted:

You can do that?!

Since discovering this thanks to that post earlier I have gone from 0 fuel to 350ish. :dance:

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones
The main reason I don't play Starbound as much anymore was because I got so god drat sick of mining for coal; why didn't I know about this earlier?

e: Might I suggest this info go in the OP? I'm sure I'm not the first person to realize how much easier and faster this makes travel.

e2: vvvv Thank you for this!!! vvvv

HoboNews fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 12, 2014

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

HoboNews posted:

The main reason I don't play Starbound as much anymore was because I got so god drat sick of mining for coal; why didn't I know about this earlier?
Because it wasn't originally a thing you could do, and may not have been when you stopped.

It's still 10 wood per 1 coal, but not gonna lie. I probably got more coal from small tree farming in less time, than I did digging a wide strip in an orbit around the tar layer of an entire (tiny) jungle planet in Gamma. It's also good for when you start swimming in uranium and plutonium, but you still need coal to smelt bars.

They won't hatch from their cute little seed pod unless you are off screen, but not TOO far or they stop growing without persistant farmables mod. If you are playing straight up vanilla you can plant them a bit of a ways out of view of a base you want to build in your selected homeworld.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010
I have discovered I am a highly irresponsible mining laser owner and should probably uninstall the mod immediately, but god drat it sure is fun. http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/mining-laser-gun.63498/

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

CitrusFrog posted:

I only now know that two handed weapons have TWO special effects.

I got a tier 10 1 handed short sword/dagger that does 7700 DPS and shoots lightning (which does a fraction of the swords damage, but with a lot more range)

There is a goon server at starbound.420yoloswag.com - make sure you have no mods installed (if you have modded items they all become 'generic items' which I think are actually an ingredient in a Glitch recipe.)

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Lobsterpillar posted:

I only now know that two handed weapons have TWO special effects.

I got a tier 10 1 handed short sword/dagger that does 7700 DPS and shoots lightning (which does a fraction of the swords damage, but with a lot more range)

There is a goon server at starbound.420yoloswag.com - make sure you have no mods installed (if you have modded items they all become 'generic items' which I think are actually an ingredient in a Glitch recipe.)

I have a good few installed (I was going to try Vax's server but it won't connect for some reason), I can always back up my mod and player folders though.

Edit: Where's the thread for the goon server? I'm missing the password.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 12, 2014

Korbin
Nov 13, 2009

SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG
Has anyone else found one of these super tiny underground towns?

Little houses and little torches with a few wizards walking around.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Korbin posted:

Haha, the weird poo poo in this game...

Meanwhile, I just discovered my planet's mushroom layer.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Korbin posted:

I found one of those once, but the wildlife nearby was just the normal poo poo for that planet, no wizards.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

CitrusFrog posted:

I have a good few installed (I was going to try Vax's server but it won't connect for some reason), I can always back up my mod and player folders though.

Edit: Where's the thread for the goon server? I'm missing the password.

I don't think it needs one. Make sure you leave the second field (server login name) blank, too! Apparently its a feature that hasn't been implemented yet. That's probably something that should be in the OP.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Korbin posted:

I just started playing again and these were on my starting planet. The cave system they are in is MASSIVE and I only discovered it because I could see it from some weird underground lab place.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Lobsterpillar posted:

I don't think it needs one. Make sure you leave the second field (server login name) blank, too! Apparently its a feature that hasn't been implemented yet. That's probably something that should be in the OP.

I left the server name blank and tried both without a password and with the old faithful of goon server passwords but I keep getting the wrong password error. Can't connect to Vax's server either though that's just saying it can't connect, not that the password is wrong.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

CitrusFrog posted:

I left the server name blank and tried both without a password and with the old faithful of goon server passwords but I keep getting the wrong password error. Can't connect to Vax's server either though that's just saying it can't connect, not that the password is wrong.

Can you connect to any multiplayer servers? If not, you might need to do the port forwarding thing mentioned here: http://starbounder.org/Guide:Setting_Up_Multiplayer
There is a link to a list of public/semipublic servers there too.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

So, stuff is progressing on my race mod. Melee weapons (Axe, push dagger and spear) and throwing weapons (knives/various grenades) done and balanced for each tier. Armor's all set also, and I'm currently working on random dungeon things (something simple like an outpost to start, I imagine). Also, something like 75% of all object descriptions are done.

One thing I'd definitely like to have in there is NPC reactions to the race. That in itself is a crazy amount of work (judging by the many lines of text per race per npc file!) but mostly I just have no idea how to do the _merge for that kind of file.

Has anyone seen anything - or have experience with stuff like that?

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
So I finally dropped "Variety is the Spice of the Universe" and went with "Exploration Enhanced". I also got Desideratus' "Mining Laser".

Uh... are there any good inventory-size enhancement mods, preferably not my ship locker and my actual backpack?

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Is this worth playing vanilla?

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

Korbin posted:

Yup. The very first dungeon I found was one of this and I was like WTF? It was huge, like literally 10 screen to left & right and 5 screens up and down. Got me A LOT of pixels like 10k or so.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

SquirrelGrip posted:

Is this worth playing vanilla?

Yep. I recommend trying vanilla before throwing in any mods. Except maybe the Parallax Fix mod.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I made my first permadeath. Had an awesome starting planet with cool black/red wings.

Alt tabbed for 2 minutes and died :( Such anguish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

IAmTheRad posted:

Yep. I recommend trying vanilla before throwing in any mods. Except maybe the Parallax Fix mod.

Which hardly counts as a mod, more a typo fix. I think it changes three '1's to 'true' or vice versa.

The game is absolutely worth playing vanilla. Beyond that, the mods I'd consider the most vital are:

- A bigger ship, any of them, but only because I play space hillbilly and cart my home around with me. If you build a home on your homeworld and dump your loot there, the stock ship is fine.
- Kyrosiris's airstick mod, if only because it boosts light output. That's hardly game-breaking but it does cut a lot of frustration.

You can go mod-crazy beyond that, but there's no real need to, I've played around with a couple other mods and those above are the only ones I've kept.

• Locked thread