Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Baron Porkface posted:

Is a Mafia group/street gang said to have corporate property?

Not sure in what sense you're asking.

Under the Racketeer influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act, if members of the organization use the proceeds of illegal activity to invest in or operate property or businesses, they can be made to forfeit either the property/business or their interest in the same, if not wholly owned by them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

joat mon posted:

Not sure in what sense you're asking.

Like if there's an investigation and the cop asks "who's gun is this" and they say "it belongs to the STREET SHARKZ as a whole."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Usually criminal laws care about possession, not ownership.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

Like if there's an investigation and the cop asks "who's gun is this" and they say "it belongs to the STREET SHARKZ as a whole."

Probably not, and even if they could say that, what difference does it make?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

"Officer, as you can see from the tag on the side of the suitcase full of cocaine, that belongs to the STREET SHARKZ. I'm a mere soverign citizen, as you can see here on my berth certificate."

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

"Officer, as you can see from the tag on the side of the suitcase full of cocaine, that belongs to the STREET SHARKZ. I'm a mere soverign citizen, as you can see here on my berth certificate."

It is clear that the STREET SHARKZ' gun and cocaine are mere bailments.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
As a foreign-flagged sea going vessel, this suitcase full of coke is a moral person registered in Liberia.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Arcturas posted:

Probably not, and even if they could say that, what difference does it make?

Actually it does matter. It allows the DA to claim every gang member in the room possessed the gun and add a gang enhancement (which is generally more serious than the predicate offense).
They do this all the time in CA, but they don't call it corporate property.

As a gang, you don't want it to be the gangs gun.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

nm posted:

Actually it does matter. It allows the DA to claim every gang member in the room possessed the gun and add a gang enhancement (which is generally more serious than the predicate offense).
They do this all the time in CA, but they don't call it corporate property.

As a gang, you don't want it to be the gangs gun.

Ahahahaha. That's hilarious. I assume it's some sort of constructive possession?

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

I have a few tenancy questions (and yes I have read my tenancy agreement). This is in New Zealand.

Currently I'm co-tenant on the lease in a 3 bedroom townhouse and myself and the other tenant have been subletting the other room. Our tenancy agreement explicitly states that we're not to sublet but the landlord is aware that we are and is OK with it. I've come to realise that this is a dangerous situation for ourselves so now our current subletter is moving out in a couple weeks and I'm thinking the best idea would be to get written permission from the landlord to sublet the room? The other issue is that our tenancy agreement states we are to only have 3 occupants maximum. We're hoping to sublet the room to a couple because it'll bring our rent down a bit; would getting written permission from the landlord to do so supersede the tenancy agreement?

Next, I've read through the relevant parts of the Residential Tenancy Act but I was wondering; we have a cookie-cutter subletting contract that we downloaded from the relevant government website and it states that the Residential Tenancy Act does not apply to subletters; is this pretty solid? I ask because our current flat mate is giving us all kinds of trouble about moving out and our contract with her states that we can give 14 days notice for her to move out without reason, though I hope that it does not come to that.

Finally, I'm not sure this is an issue or not but is there any problem with charging a higher rent for subletting? For example say we were charged $300 a week as our total rent, divided between the three of us equally. If we found new subletters who would pay an advertised rent of $150 a week for the room, thus reducing our rent by $25 each, is there any legal problem with this? Are we legally obligated to disclose the total rent for the property to a potential subletter?

Sorry if this is a little niche, being NZ and all.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Arcturas posted:

Ahahahaha. That's hilarious. I assume it's some sort of constructive possession?

Yeah. There is a case where the California Supreme Court called bullshit finally. Dude was in a motel room with some other gang member. Gun was under the bed of other gang member. There was no evidence that the dude knew the gun was there.
They "gang expert" testified that it was "a gang gun" and therefore, if he'd just asked for it (remember, no proof he knew it was there), he would have gotten it.
Supreme Court overturned that conviction (after the guy rotted in prison for a couple years of course).

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

nm posted:

They "gang expert" testified that it was "a gang gun" and therefore, if he'd just asked for it (remember, no proof he knew it was there), he would have gotten it.

I know the answer to this question is just going to be even more depressing, but what are the usual qualifications for being a "gang expert"?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Thuryl posted:

I know the answer to this question is just going to be even more depressing, but what are the usual qualifications for being a "gang expert"?

Be a total white collar nerd with 100 years of secondary education who has never even seen someone from a gang except if they're behind bars would be my guess. But IANAL. :P

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wow I didn't even know there was a whole developed line of gang property law. loving California.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

euphronius posted:

Wow I didn't even know there was a whole developed line of gang property law. loving California.

'Joint enterprise' isn't a unique thing to California, it's fairly widespread in some form or another.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Thuryl posted:

Be a cop who attended a 3 1/2 day class in how to write down the names of all the young black and Hispanic males you encounter while on patrol.

After all, one's lack of actual expertise only goes to the weight (which a jury will disregard), not the admissibility of the testimony.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

jassi007 posted:

Be a total white collar nerd with 100 years of secondary education who has never even seen someone from a gang except if they're behind bars would be my guess. But IANAL. :P

There are a lot of creative ways law enforcement goes after gangs because there is difficulty pursuing more traditional criminal law routes. Specifically one way involves the use of civil injunctions to enjoin a gang's activity and is aimed at areas where the gang congregates. When I was doing my internships in law school, an attorney was killed because he went (alone, stupidly) to visit a site of a potential injunction when a gang member shot him. I can guarantee you the attorneys and police who work gangs are not white collar, feet on the desk type of people.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

xxEightxx posted:

There are a lot of creative ways law enforcement goes after gangs because there is difficulty pursuing more traditional criminal law routes. Specifically one way involves the use of civil injunctions to enjoin a gang's activity and is aimed at areas where the gang congregates. When I was doing my internships in law school, an attorney was killed because he went (alone, stupidly) to visit a site of a potential injunction when a gang member shot him. I can guarantee you the attorneys and police who work gangs are not white collar, feet on the desk type of people.

The injunctions are actually really interesting, since they have to walk a fine line with First Amendment problems. I think it's pretty often that a district court judge will say "First Amendment? Too bad - you're in a dangerous gang!", but I've seen a little pushback recently. For instance, the Utah Trece Gang injunctions up in Logan was overturned by our Supreme Court last fall, though only on a narrower procedural basis.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I've heard of similar injunctions being given out as a condition of probation or parole, but a civil injunction against a gang, as opposed to specific members, seems like it would be really hard to enforce.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Konstantin posted:

I've heard of similar injunctions being given out as a condition of probation or parole, but a civil injunction against a gang, as opposed to specific members, seems like it would be really hard to enforce.

Quite the opposite. The injunctions typically come under fire for giving police too much authority, since it can prohibit some really basic things like the color of clothes you wear, etc.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I was going to ask about that. If injunctions can be created against gang activity, what stops them from being used for activity which is itself legal when done by, say, politically dissentious groups? As much as it pains me to say it, I'd hate to see the rights of assembly and speech restricted for some groups (even gangs and the WBC) since it seems it would set a dangerous precedent. To my lay eyes, the burden of proof in civil matters usually seems to be not that rigorous and especially not rigorous compared to criminal matters; is the burden to get a civil injunction similarly weak? If so, that's pretty loving scary.

E: And what happens when you violate a civil injunction? Jailtime for contempt?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

First amendment forbids prior restraint of speech or expression. Criminal activity is not protected speech.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

That's the short version and why the injunctions are legal, but it gets messy at the edges. Nancy, if you're curious go look up the Ogden Trece Gang case and associated literature - the briefing at the Utah Supreme Court is probably public somewhere and will give you a flavor of the arguments.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
The Utah chapter of the ACLU has their filings and the court order online:
http://www.acluutah.org/legal-work/current-cases/item/333-weber-co-v-ogden-trece/333-weber-co-v-ogden-trece

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Thuryl posted:

Be a cop who knows what MS-13 means. Seriously, they're a joke.

Dwarf
Oct 21, 2010
In US criminal cases, is the defendant allowed to refuse a jury trial and ask for a judge to decide the case alone?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yes.

( The AG and Court also must consent if the defendant waives a jury.)

euphronius fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 13, 2014

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
My dad is having some issues concerning a "tenant" that he would like to get rid of, and I quote that for reasons to be explained, and I'd like some advice so I can help him get rid of said tenant.

1. He lives in Carlsbad, California

2. He took her in and allowed her to stay there as a favor to a friend.

3. She is not his girlfriend or anything close to that.

4. She doesn't and has not ever paid rent. Nor does she really do anything around the house. She is pretty much leeching off of him at this point.

5. She has caused disturbances with my father in the past.

6. She has been at his place for 9-10 months now.

7. He told me that he has recently asked her to leave, but she refuses to do so. He has also tried to help her find another place to go, but she refuses.

Edit: He owns the house that they are in.

No legal actions have been taken yet, but I want to get all the facts straight before I tell him what he can do to get rid of this lady. Other people, including myself, can vouch for her bad behavior.

Kuros fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 13, 2014

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Has your dad considered that his "docking" with her "berthing station" is probably going to make him responsible for their "white whale"

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Also, some questions:

1) why are you saying "myself" instead of "me"?

2) Have you considered that maybe they're in love?

3) Is she a sea captain/ghost? That would explain the disturbances.

(he should find somewhere else to live)

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Has your dad considered that his "docking" with her "berthing station" is probably going to make him responsible for their "white whale"

They have never had sex if that's what you are implying.

Also, some questions:

1) why are you saying "myself" instead of "me"?

2) Have you considered that maybe they're in love?

3) Is she a sea captain/ghost? That would explain the disturbances.

(he should find somewhere else to live)

It's his house that he owns.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Kuros posted:

It's his house that he owns.

Then he can just throw her out and her stuff. She's a lodger not a tenant and has no right to stay.

e: oops, forget this because \/\/\/

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Feb 13, 2014

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Yeah, that's not true in California. Generally, lodgers have the same rights as tenants. If she's a lodger, then the dad may not need to formally evict her, but he probably will still have to give her written notice in advance of the given move-out date.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

ibntumart posted:

Yeah, that's not true in California. Generally, lodgers have the same rights as tenants. If she's a lodger, then the dad may not need to formally evict her, but he probably will still have to give her written notice in advance of the given move-out date.

I've been reading, but I'm not sure if it would be a 3 day or would it be a 30 day?

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

euphronius posted:

Yes.

( The AG and Court also must consent if the defendant waives a jury.)

Out of curiosity, are there scenarios where doing this would make sense for a defendant? With a jury you typically need just one juror to vote your way, but when it's just a judge it's all or nothing. Without any other considerations, the math would indicate that's a bad idea.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

dvgrhl posted:

Out of curiosity, are there scenarios where doing this would make sense for a defendant? With a jury you typically need just one juror to vote your way, but when it's just a judge it's all or nothing. Without any other considerations, the math would indicate that's a bad idea.

How much do you look like a skinhead? How much does your legal defense depend on a technicality that will make the jury angry? How complicated is your defense, compared to how simple is it for the prosecution to prove their case? Are you in front of a judge who's notoriously pro-defendant (hahahahaha, these judges don't exist)? Are you a black defendant in the bad parts of the South? (this one just means you're screwed on both options, but...)

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Starting a small business. What kind of lawyer / lawyerly services do I need? Aside from tax and accounting things - I'm more interested in insurance and intellectual property.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

frenchnewwave posted:

Starting a small business. What kind of lawyer / lawyerly services do I need? Aside from tax and accounting things - I'm more interested in insurance and intellectual property.

Depends on the business. More details would be useful.

Generally speaking, I can't give you any advice on insurance (because I know nothing about it), but IP-wise, things to consider:

Trademark: depending on your funding and the type/scope of the business (i.e., is it a local pizzeria or a country-wide internet company) it may be worth considering having someone check for trademarks that might read against your chosen name and file an intent-to-use application. Trademark is mostly its own little specialty, so you want someone who specializes in trademark law if possible. If you don't know of anyone, INTA (INternational Trademark Association) may offer referrals.

Copyright: If you do creative work or software, copyright will be relevant, but you probably don't need a lawyer on retainer up front. If you have a single piece of material that's critical, you might want to register it, but that's a cheap/easy process that doesn't necessarily need a lawyer.

Patent: If you have something patentable (either a technology or an ornamental design), consider patenting it. It's not necessarily cheap, but it's not usually unreasonably expensive to obtain a patent either (can go anywhere from 10k-100k, more if you're in pharmaceuticals or other fields where you may need experimental evidence). Also, if nothing else you can always try to sell it to a troll when your company dies and recoup some of your money (and make sure I stay employed when the troll sues one of my clients.) You'll want a lawyer who is licensed to practice in front of the Patent and Trademark Office - other lawyers cannot prosecute a patent for you.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
My mother passed away this week and the family is flying out to try and settle her estate. We are pretty sure she didn't have a will. She was renting a home, has a fair amount of furniture/antiques but the bulk of her money is likely in retirement accounts. There are 4 kids, she was divorced, and our cursory understanding of Texas law is that it means that myself and my siblings will split everything evenly amongst ourselves. No one has issues with that.

She lived in Texas and the rest of the family lives in California. My grandma/her mom is in hospice care and isn't expected to live much longer. My mom had POA over her health and was going to be the trustee of my grandma's assets when she passed. I imagine that's going to cause us a lot of headaches.

We are in the process of finding an estate attorney to assist us but I don't know what questions I should be asking. Any advice here?

The one question none of us are sure about is are we allowed to touch her belongings without a will? The house is a rental through the end of the month and since none of us live out there we were planning on taking the personal items and likely donating the larger items. Is that legal? Or do we need to store everything until this situation is under control with the help of a lawyer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You need a lawyer in the town she passed away in. You are asking for pretty specific legal advice there. The lawyer will be paid from your mom's estate.