Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Quest For Glory II posted:

e: They were even willing to talk about a 3DS game for 2015, but not Wii U. They're literally struggling to release 2 major games for Wii U this fiscal year. Their plan seems to be cut the cord, cut the cord, cut the cord, abandon ship.
Donkey Kong/Mario Kart 8/Bayonetta/Smash Bros?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Crowbear posted:

They showed a bunch of combat footage just a few minutes ago :toot:

Spoiler: It plays exactly like Xenoblade except sometimes you get into a mech and fight some bigger enemies.

Prepare for Titanfall X?

I'm still interested.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
I thought I'd convinced myself I wasn't going to buy a Wii U for Bayonetta 2 but I guess not. Nintendo's got me by the balls.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Harlock posted:

Donkey Kong/Mario Kart 8/Bayonetta/Smash Bros?
Bayonetta is Platinum, Donkey Kong is Retro. Nintendo's internal studios are struggling to put 2 games out on time this year. With no release date for Smash still it's possible the game gets pushed into 2015 as well, leaving Mario Kart 8 as the sole important game for U this year (we don't actually expect Bayonetta 2 to sell, right?).

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Retro is a Nintendo studio

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Harlock posted:

Retro is a Nintendo studio
For fucks sake I am talking about Nintendo's INTERNAL studios in Japan. Nintendo EAD.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
DK is coming out this fiscal year and all those other games come out next fiscal year so you're still right.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Prepare for Titanfall X?

I'm still interested.

I definitely didn't mean that as a negative. I'm very excited for X.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bayonetta is Platinum, Donkey Kong is Retro. Nintendo's internal studios are struggling to put 2 games out on time this year. With no release date for Smash still it's possible the game gets pushed into 2015 as well, leaving Mario Kart 8 as the sole important game for U this year (we don't actually expect Bayonetta 2 to sell, right?).

Bayonetta 1 sold pretty good. I mean, it hasn't a hope in the world on the WiiU but if it were multiplatform I'd expect sales of around 1.5 million.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

For fucks sake I am talking about Nintendo's INTERNAL studios in Japan. Nintendo EAD.

It's not as cut and dry as that. Nintendo Technology Development in Redmond, Washington and Monolith Soft. are both helping develop Smash Bros.

Nintendo often uses their other internal resources to contribute time if EAD can't make it alone.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The Koopa Kids being in Mario Kart 8 is pretty cool, but I know they're going to give them all the most annoying voice imaginable.

Other than that, no real surprises. I wish they'd just port some of these 3DS games to the Wii U, like the new Kirby game, and have cross-buy like some PS3 and Vita games do. This would require them to unfuck their account systems on both the 3DS and the Wii U though, so it's unlikely.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Did the Japanese Direct announce anything? I know they're usually different (and the NoA part seemed to go on forever), but I haven't heard anything.

Edit: Whoops, forgot there were other Nintendo threads!

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 14, 2014

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's funny how while the projected release periods for MK8 and SSB ("Spring 2014" and "general 2014") haven't been revised at all since they were announced, the narrative is still that the games are slipping and Nintendo is struggling with that schedule. The first half of this year is once again way too sparse, no argument there. But it's weird to cook up those narratives.

It seems more likely that EAD's in the awkward position of most of their projects being too early in dev to show off. For every game that came out in the latter half of last year, there's a follow-up project that's completely in its infancy and not ready for primetime. They're not in a good pattern right now, timing-wise.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Still convinced Nintendo wants Wii U dead as soon as possible so they can launch their next platform. They literally had nothing to announce.

e: They were even willing to talk about a 3DS game for 2015, but not Wii U. They're literally struggling to release 2 major games for Wii U this fiscal year. Their plan seems to be cut the cord, cut the cord, cut the cord, abandon ship.

stolen from the gbs thread

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Spiffo posted:

stolen from the gbs thread

Holy poo poo that's godlike. Also not really surprised by watch dogs delay. They're trying to figure out ways to make the fog effect in the game to hide things not rendering to be not right in front of your face.

If you're waiting for WDogs on the Wii U get a PC version instead. By the time the Wii U version comes out. I'd imagine that the PC version will already be on sale on steam.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's funny how while the projected release periods for MK8 and SSB ("Spring 2014" and "general 2014") haven't been revised at all since they were announced, the narrative is still that the games are slipping and Nintendo is struggling with that schedule. The first half of this year is once again way too sparse, no argument there. But it's weird to cook up those narratives.

It seems more likely that EAD's in the awkward position of most of their projects being too early in dev to show off. For every game that came out in the latter half of last year, there's a follow-up project that's completely in its infancy and not ready for primetime. They're not in a good pattern right now, timing-wise.

I'd normally buy this as an excuse, because it is true. The second half of 2013 games were not even announced until E3. But they just came off of a horrible holiday season and need to get people to care about the Wii U. This just further confirms that nothing is in the works.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

That loving Sned posted:

I wish they'd just port some of these 3DS games to the Wii U, like the new Kirby game, and have cross-buy like some PS3 and Vita games do.
That might help the Wii U, but remember that the 3DS is selling well under their forecasts as well; they cut that from 18m to 13.5m for the year.

Early NPD leaks for January imply the 3DS is flat YoY at best, which isn't great for a relatively young console.

WiiFitForWindows8
Oct 14, 2013

Astro7x posted:

I'd normally buy this as an excuse, because it is true. The second half of 2013 games were not even announced until E3. But they just came off of a horrible holiday season and need to get people to care about the Wii U. This just further confirms that nothing is in the works.

What do you think they're even doing? Masturbating or something?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Astro7x posted:

I'm not quite sure how this response fits what I was saying. I'm not talking about what may or may not still be revealed for 2014. What I'm talking about is the fact that the teams who just finished up with games like Pikmin 3 and SM3DW and LBW will all have started on new projects, but those projects won't hit this year and they're probably far from ready to show to the public.

The problem isn't that all of EAD took a vacation or something; it's that it seems like their dev cycles have been out of whack for a good long while and right now that's producing another dry spell.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Why haven't we seen Yarn Yoshi in so long? Dev troubles or trying not to steal thunder from the 3DS Yoshi game? Its not really a system seller but its a solid looking title and getting enough of those out is just as important as getting one Smash Brothers.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

WiiFitForWindows8 posted:

What do you think they're even doing? Masturbating or something?

Designing a new console.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Soul Glo posted:

Designing a new console.

So, what WiiFitForWindows8 said then.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

It's been discussed to death already but they're probably not designing a new console. I can almost guarantee they're designing some harebrained 'quality of life' device so they can continue to not have to compete with Sony and Microsoft. They've spent the past 20 years refusing to do the same thing as Sony and Microsoft, there is absolutely no reason to think they're currently building a Nintendo branded PS4. They have no idea what they're doing.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 14, 2014

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Nintendo Directs are the new Sonic Cycle.

Hope gets destroyed in a newer and far faster manner than ever before.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I think that Nintendo has decided to make 3DS their primary platform because it's the system that's making money. In that context it would make sense that there are next to no Wii U announcements to make, because Nintendo's development studios are all working on 3DS titles instead. Because that will get them closer to profit than spending time on Wii U projects that will not sell as well and cost a lot more to make.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

I think that Nintendo has decided to make 3DS their primary platform because it's the system that's making money. In that context it would make sense that there are next to no Wii U announcements to make, because Nintendo's development studios are all working on 3DS titles instead. Because that will get them closer to profit than spending time on Wii U projects that will not sell as well and cost a lot more to make.

Yeah it's going to be a wonder if the Wii-U survives this year. The PS3 has a far more releases than a system that's going on two years.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I don't see them dropping it for at least another year. It's not losing them that much money, and given Nintendo's stubbornness and bullheadedness I can't see them dropping it until it's literally a choice between that or bankruptcy

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

icantfindaname posted:

I don't see them dropping it for at least another year. It's not losing them that much money, and given Nintendo's stubbornness and bullheadedness I can't see them dropping it until it's literally a choice between that or bankruptcy

They're not making any games for it other than a handful of them that we've known about for over a year. No new games have been announced other than Hyrule Warriors.

They're also not going to get any of the multiplatform games either, other than what Ubisoft is making.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

Its losing enough money that they posted an overall negative income despite selling 13.5 million units of the 3DS this year alone.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The Taint Reaper posted:

They're not making any games for it other than a handful of them that we've known about for over a year. No new games have been announced other than Hyrule Warriors.

I think that's just a result of HD development time and the fact that there is literally no third party support. I imagine they're working on WiiU games as hard as they were working on Wii games 2 years into its life, it's just that the number of games produced with that effort is smaller.

But maybe I am wrong about how much money it's losing them. I guess it depends on how much of their dwindling cash reserves they're willing to burn.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Would they drop it before a successor is out in stores, though?

I guess I could see them dropping it, making the 3DS their sole console, and then release a 3DS successor that also plays games on the TV. Maybe they could even launch the new console with a bunch of Wii U ports since so few people have the ability to own them. To someone who skipped out in the Wii U, it would be an amazing launch line up.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

In that investor briefing, they specifically said that Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros were their main drivers this year, which means there is no other game on the level of those two games coming this year. That is the reality. Of course they would talk about Bayonetta and X in a Nintendo Direct about Spring releases, because they don't want you to look at the release calendar and realize that there are no retail releases for the Wii U between February 22nd and April 29th. That's 67 days.

In a Nintendo Direct about Spring releases, Nintendo shouted "LOOK BEHIND YOU!!!!!!!" at Wii U fans.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 14, 2014

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

icantfindaname posted:

I think that's just a result of HD development time and the fact that there is literally no third party support. I imagine they're working on WiiU games as hard as they were working on Wii games 2 years into its life, it's just that the number of games produced with that effort is smaller.

But maybe I am wrong about how much money it's losing them. I guess it depends on how much of their dwindling cash reserves they're willing to burn.

There's over a 2 month gap of no games coming out for the system, it's not a good sign when both the Xbox 1 and PS4 have poo poo coming out for them right around that time. HD development taking too much time isn't a sufficient excuse since every other company under the sun has been able to churn out games within a sufficient time period with HD support.

Yes the Xbox One has it's issues but that's not even stopping that piece of crap from putting out more games.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The Taint Reaper posted:

There's over a 2 month gap of no games coming out for the system

It'd be even longer if they hadn't pushed Donkey Kong back to have a release in the first quarter of this year.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Conceivably Nintendo will learn HD the hard way and eventually get their poo poo in order. They hosed up by not anticipating the difficulties in HD development given they should have learned from the example of others, but it wont stay how it is now.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The_Frag_Man posted:

Conceivably Nintendo will learn HD the hard way and eventually get their poo poo in order. They hosed up by not anticipating the difficulties in HD development given they should have learned from the example of others, but it wont stay how it is now.
You do realize that we're in year 2 right? I mean, this system may not have 4 years in it.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

You do realize that we're in year 2 right? I mean, this system may not have 4 years in it.

It hasn't been 18 months yet.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

In that investor briefing, they specifically said that Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros were their main drivers this year, which means there is no other game on the level of those two games coming this year.

I'm starting to thing this might be true. Looking back at this point last year Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Wii Fit U were all Q2 2013, Game & Wario was TBD 2013, and we just had Wind Waker announced in January. And then later in February we had Super Luigi U announecd. The only real announcements that followed that came out in 2013 were 3D World, Wii Sports Club and Wii Party U.

While those were 3-4 notable titles that were announced later in the year, I doubt that they have another 3D World hidden up their sleeves.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The_Frag_Man posted:

I don't necessarily know how much more output they can do. HD development is significantly more time intensive than the old days, studios like Naughty Dog, Bungie or Rockstar come out with games basically once every two years, give or take. Wikipedia lists Nintendo EAD at ~350 employees, Bungie at 350, Naughty Dog at 250. I'm sure Rockstar North is similar. They just can't release anywhere near the number of games needed to support the console by themselves.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 14, 2014

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

The_Frag_Man posted:

It hasn't been 18 months yet.

I'm not sure what your objection is, since 18 months in is halfway through year 2.

Yes, it's not been 18 months yet, but he's 100% right that this is year 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Astro7x posted:

I'm starting to thing this might be true. Looking back at this point last year Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Wii Fit U were all Q2 2013, Game & Wario was TBD 2013, and we just had Wind Waker announced in January. And then later in February we had Super Luigi U announecd. The only real announcements that followed that came out in 2013 were 3D World, Wii Sports Club and Wii Party U.

While those were 3-4 notable titles that were announced later in the year, I doubt that they have another 3D World hidden up their sleeves.
Agreed, and I just think it would be somewhat deceitful for Iwata to hide big titles from shareholders who want to know how Nintendo plans to turn Wii U around when they're staring at a potential 4th consecutive yearly loss. I think that if they had something else as huge coming this year they would have just said it, and not cared about spoilers or whatever. I mean they talked about Nintendo DS coming to Wii U VC at that investor briefing, out of nowhere. And we know that's not in the first 6 months of this year now. I think they laid out everything in terms of the major releases.

• Locked thread