Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Tired Moritz posted:

So what is people's opinion of Hexyz Force? My friend recommended it to me and well, he likes Neptunia.

It's okay. Pretty typical Sting game: gimmicky but somewhat interesting mechanics, fairly standard JRPG plot and art design. I played through it once and liked it well enough but ran out of steam on a second playthrough when I hit a crashing bug that stopped me from completing a sidequest. Pick it up if you like item crafting systems and hidden true endings with annoyingly obscure requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Tired Moritz posted:

So what is people's opinion of Hexyz Force? My friend recommended it to me and well, he likes Neptunia.

Also, I want to play Breath of Fire 1, should I play the SNES or the GBA version?

The GBA version had its experience and money rewards from battles increased severalfold over the SNES version and also has the ability to dash. So it would be quite a bit less grindy, but as always you're trading some audiovisual quality for that. Otherwise it's a pretty straight port, I don't think there's any bonus content other than some now-meaningless link cable stuff.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Question for you guys,

Playstation 2 (or was it 1) had an RPG that was entirely room based, so you would go from one cube room and load another. It had classes but the thing i remember the most was the weapon level ups. For example, a sword used to kill the living would get better at killing hte living but would get worse at killing the undead.

Anyone remember this?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Question for you guys,

Playstation 2 (or was it 1) had an RPG that was entirely room based, so you would go from one cube room and load another. It had classes but the thing i remember the most was the weapon level ups. For example, a sword used to kill the living would get better at killing hte living but would get worse at killing the undead.

Anyone remember this?

That sounds like Vagrant Story for the PS1 maybe?

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I wish there was a remake of vagrant story. I love the theme and mechanics, but the interface is so clunky that I'd end up never switching weapons and have really sub par stuff by the mid game. I could never finish it because my weapons sucked so bad. Plus crafting was so esoteric I only learned how to upgrade materials much later when gamefaqs came about.

Edit: it didn't have classes though, so maybe something else?

begedin
Jul 28, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Vagrant Story would be my first guess as well, but if you stretch the description a bit, the first Dark Cloud could also fit the bill, maybe.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
It actually was Vagrant Story, thought it had classes, I played it like 14 years ago so I couldn't remember anything but the weapons level. Never finished it because I felt like i messed my character up with wrong weapons.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TipsyMcStagger posted:

It actually was Vagrant Story, thought it had classes, I played it like 14 years ago so I couldn't remember anything but the weapons level. Never finished it because I felt like i messed my character up with wrong weapons.

That incredibly easy to do with that game thanks to it not explaining its systems very well. If you're thinking of trying it again I recommend looking up a weapons guide.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Sakurazuka posted:

That incredibly easy to do with that game thanks to it not explaining its systems very well. If you're thinking of trying it again I recommend looking up a weapons guide.

I think i'll give it a shot again, just cause. I remember getting to a point where I couldn't kill these humanoid guards since I could barely damage them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The thing to remember is that the weapon type (piercing, edged, blunt) and which of these the enemy is weak to is the single most important thing when it comes to calculating damage, everything else is just bonuses.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Well, that and keeping your PP and DP stocked up at all times. If you're emulating you might consider savescumming the post-boss reels for +2-3 strength and agility bonuses. HP is a trap because the damage formula is pretty much just attacker's strength minus defender's, with modifiers multiplied in. Also the element attack raising spells are better damage buffs than Prostasia if you know the best element to use on the enemy, though there aren't any for light and dark. Oh and the second axe break art is an amazing debuff you can't otherwise get til ng+ (-10% str/mag/agi all at once, can't be removed by pretty much anything) and works on everything but most evil and phantom enemies. It's well worth grinding that out to start every fight off right.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
In Shadow Hearts II, will I screw myself over if I completely ignore Kurando's fusions? I'm in a pretty good groove with my current team, and I'd rather not spare the soul energy.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Nate RFB posted:

In Shadow Hearts II, will I screw myself over if I completely ignore Kurando's fusions? I'm in a pretty good groove with my current team, and I'd rather not spare the soul energy.

No. SH2 is pretty easy so you can beat it with any team you like. That said, that character owns a lot. Fastest char + one of the strongest as well.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's just so depressing to have to start over at level 1 again after getting all of Yuri's fusions up to snuff. Unless you start tripping over soul energy in mook fights by the endgame or something to make up for it I guess.

E: Eh, they do give you enough extra to level it up to 5 instantly so maybe it's not the end of the world.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 24, 2014

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

No. SH2 is pretty easy so you can beat it with any team you like. That said, that character owns a lot. Fastest char + one of the strongest as well.

Yeah, Kurando is amazingly good. I have a really hard time not slotting him no matter how many times I play the game.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
I love rpgs f

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 2, 2014

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Paperhouse posted:

I don't think there was anything wrong with the combat at all, there were quite a few interesting and unique elements (haha) to it and I think they worked. The story is criticised too harshly as well imo, it's kind of a mess but it's an intriguing and ambitious mess that had a lot of genuinely cool moments and ideas. Can't really argue about the characters though

I love CC's battle system and the fact that levels were taken out in favor of minor stat boosts in regular battles and major stat boosts after boss fights. It took level-grinding out of the game. As long as you fought most of the enemies going through a dungeon, you were almost always strong enough to take on a boss.

The element system was also good, especially for boss fights, as it gave you the option of doing some planning your attacks during battles. If you were, like me, only willing to use powerful elements when the field was completely that color.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I've only played three games scored by Motoi Sakuraba - Baten Kaitos 1, Star Ocean 3 and Star Ocean 4. I liked the OSTs in SO3 and 4 well enough (with a slight preference to 4) but neither of them really could compare with how much I loved Baten Kaitos' music. There was just so much goodness. (just in case anyone reading this post hasn't played the game. I hope these videos would convince you to)

Anyway, like I said, SO3 and 4 were decent enough but nothing compared to Baten Kaitos. I'd like to know what are considered his best musical efforts? What are the best games he's ever composed?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

So I've only played three games scored by Motoi Sakuraba - Baten Kaitos 1, Star Ocean 3 and Star Ocean 4. I liked the OSTs in SO3 and 4 well enough (with a slight preference to 4) but neither of them really could compare with how much I loved Baten Kaitos' music. There was just so much goodness. (just in case anyone reading this post hasn't played the game. I hope these videos would convince you to)

Anyway, like I said, SO3 and 4 were decent enough but nothing compared to Baten Kaitos. I'd like to know what are considered his best musical efforts? What are the best games he's ever composed?

I feel like you've asked this before for some reason but as always the answer is Valkyrie Profile.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakuraba composed the Dark Pit theme from Kid Icarus: Uprising, I'm fairly sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG77HTdreh0

So therefore the man is as unto a god.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Sakuraba also did Dark Souls' soundtrack :ssh:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And the whole world was stunned because no one knew he had it in him.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakuraba is actually a really talented composer. He composes all the Tales music the same way because they want a Tales soundtrack from him, not because he doesn't have the ability to compose anything else. It's like getting mad at whichever dude composed New Super Mario Brothers for remixing the world 1-1 theme 50 times: that's what they wanted, so he delivered.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

And the whole world was stunned because no one knew he had it in him.

Seriously. With how ear grating I found SO4 soundtrack, I didn't believe that he also did Dark Souls for a few days. :v:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The soundtrack for SO4 is the last thing I would have thought people found grating about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZFKsybhalE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN78MPuVquQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUn1bOEKG-I

Even after three games I can see a definite preference on his part for synth and progressive rock but he's certainly not incapable of using orchestra well.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 7, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Endorph posted:

Sakuraba is actually a really talented composer. He composes all the Tales music the same way because they want a Tales soundtrack from him, not because he doesn't have the ability to compose anything else. It's like getting mad at whichever dude composed New Super Mario Brothers for remixing the world 1-1 theme 50 times: that's what they wanted, so he delivered.
I actually rather like the soundtrack in Abyss, though looking up the tracks most of the ones I really liked weren't from Sakuraba.

On the other hand I can't remember a single tune from Vesperia or Graces.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
A lot of the Tales series sounds very same-y, which is unfortunate. There's a few stand-out tracks each game, sure, but overall it's just... kinda boring, y'know?

The only time they really deviated from their default was Legendia with Go Shiina and that soundtrack was loving amazing.

tonberrykng
May 1, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

You should play Baten Kaitos Origins, if you haven't already. Not only does it feature some of Sakuraba's best and most original work, but the game itself is a fantastic underrated gem of an RPG (even moreso than the original).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDtrhSZfM1s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP5FQgVRR8k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3NbsYZ1Q48
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7eHuyeD3w0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDlbCY-5hFQ

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I played the beginning part back when I had a Gamecube (sold it and my games off since I was moving) but I didn't much care for the new battle system. I had fallen in love with pretty much everything about Eternal Wings so I was kinda annoyed by how different the gameplay was.

I might like it more now since I'm not playing it right after beating EWatLO and I'm not like "in the mindset" of its gameplay if that makes any sense. But I'll have to get a new Gamecube for that and who knows when that will be.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

The only time they really deviated from their default was Legendia with Go Shiina and that soundtrack was loving amazing.

For as bad a game as Legendia is (it put me off the series until Xillia), the music is just phenominal.

I can't really hate Sakuraba, though. He's done too much music that I've really loved, especially in Dark Souls and Golden Sun.

tonberrykng
May 1, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I played the beginning part back when I had a Gamecube (sold it and my games off since I was moving) but I didn't much care for the new battle system. I had fallen in love with pretty much everything about Eternal Wings so I was kinda annoyed by how different the gameplay was.

I might like it more now since I'm not playing it right after beating EWatLO and I'm not like "in the mindset" of its gameplay if that makes any sense. But I'll have to get a new Gamecube for that and who knows when that will be.
The same thing happened to me. I played Origins right after the original thinking I would get more of the same but was thrown off by the completely revamped battle system. The combat does take some getting used to, and it doesn't help that the game throws you into the deep end of the pool right from the start. If you're like me, you probably encountered your first "oh poo poo" moment fighting Young Giacomo and shut the Gamecube off.

It's been a while since I last played it, but the biggest differences with Origins is that cards can now only be used in ascending order and there is far less an emphasis on building non-ascending hands. Early on, you only need to worry about your bread and butter 1, 2, and 3 attack cards. Defense cards are no longer mixed in with your other attack cards and are instead relegated to the new 0 card which give no damage on their own but can be used to start a straight. At the beginning of the game, you can only draw a few cards at a time, so you should only worry about making 0, 1, 2, and 3 card straights. Gradually you unlock the ability to draw more cards and you accumulate more 4-7 cards which are your finishers from the first game. Some of the higher numbered cards require MP levels which is a little number on the far right that increases as you create better straights. Finally, when multiple characters are available to attack, you can string all of their attacks along into one big combo for extra damage against a single enemy. This is extremely useful early on when your ability to create individual straights is limited. There are few other mechanics that you unlock later in the game, but I'll leave those for you to discover. The game does eventually get better about explaining its battle system.

Stick with it. It will take a couple of hours before you really start to feel comfortable with the combat. That's a pretty steep wall for most people, but once you get a feel for it, the combat system really shines and quickly surpasses Baten Kaitos's combat. Moreover, Origins is overall a massive improvement from its predecessor. I found the gameplay, story, voice acting, pacing, and yes, the music to be much better than the original. If you do decide to go back to it, I highly recommend re-familiarizing yourself with Baten Kaitos's story. This LP is a good reference to use before starting Origins. As a prequel, Origins has a ton of neat little nods to the first game's story that you'll appreciate more having played the original.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well when I do get a GCN again, I'd make sure to get both a new copy of Eternal Wings and Origins again. I remember the story of Baten Kaitos pretty well since I absolutely adored the game but I'd make sure to touch up on the lore before going into Origins.

Right now though I think I'd rather just get a PSP. So many games for it I want to play - and all of them JRPGs. What would you guys say are the best JRPGs for the PSP?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Well when I do get a GCN again, I'd make sure to get both a new copy of Eternal Wings and Origins again. I remember the story of Baten Kaitos pretty well since I absolutely adored the game but I'd make sure to touch up on the lore before going into Origins.

Right now though I think I'd rather just get a PSP. So many games for it I want to play - and all of them JRPGs. What would you guys say are the best JRPGs for the PSP?

It depends. Do you mean "playable on the PSP" or "exclusive to the PSP." The PSP has a lot of fun RPGs but a good number of them are ports or since have received better ports to other systems.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 7, 2014

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mainly looking for exclusive titles or maybe enhanced versions like the Star Ocean games. I guess Persona 2 Innocent Sin also counts as exclusive since we never got it here for the PS1.

Ive heard a lot about the Lunar series over the years and it has a remake on the PSP, right? Was just watching a Top 5 JRPGs for the PSP list n YT and it was on it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Mainly looking for exclusive titles or maybe enhanced versions like the Star Ocean games. I guess Persona 2 Innocent Sin also counts as exclusive since we never got it here for the PS1.

Ive heard a lot about the Lunar series over the years and it has a remake on the PSP, right? Was just watching a Top 5 JRPGs for the PSP list n YT and it was on it.

There are a lot of great ones you probably already know but I'll mention a bit of an obscure one: Brave Story. It's actually based on a Japanese novel (later turned into an animated movie) but it's actually a very charming old-school style RPG about a kid who takes a trip into a fantasy RPG world. It's really well made, fun to play, and surprisingly charming. It's pretty hard to find a copy these days because it never got a digital release and the publisher no longer has the license but Amazon still has copies.

http://www.amazon.com/Brave-Story-New-Traveler-Sony-PSP/dp/B000R39IKI

Lunar does have a PSP remake and, nostalgia ignored, it's probably the best version to play. It has a script that is a combination of Working Design's original script and a retranslation which maintains some of the humor but removes some of the lovely pop culture references. It is however very much a product of its time a lot of the love for it is half-nostalgia. It isn't a terrible JRPG but it is very generic.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

NikkolasKing posted:

Right now though I think I'd rather just get a PSP. So many games for it I want to play - and all ofthem JRPGs. What would you guys say are the best JRPGs for the PSP?

All the Persona games up to 3 are on PSP; two of them are exclusive. There's also the aforementioned Valkyrie Profile, a very compelling argument for keeping a UMD-capable device. Honestly I'd hold out for a Vita and get P4 Golden.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Lunar does have a PSP remake and, nostalgia ignored, it's probably the best version to play. It has a script that is a combination of Working Design's original script and a retranslation which maintains some of the humor but removes some of the lovely pop culture references. It is however very much a product of its time a lot of the love for it is half-nostalgia. It isn't a terrible JRPG but it is very generic.

It doesn't help that they only ever remake Lunar 1 when the sequel is a much better game.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

PSP JRPG recommendations come up fairly often, so I'll just repost my list from last time:

Cake Attack posted:

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky - (Turn-based)
Valkyria Chronicles II - (SRPGish)
Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together - (SRPG)
Yggdra Union - (SRPG)
Riviera: The Promised Land - (Turn-based)
Gungnir - (SRPG)
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - (SRPG)
Jeanne d'Arc - (SRPG)
Persona 3 Portable - (Turn-based)
Ys 7 - (Action RPG)
Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time - (hard to describe)
Zettai Hero Project - (Roguelike)
Disgaea 1&2 - (SRPG)
Persona 2: Innocent Sin - (Turn-based)

Trails in the Sky, Persona 3 Portable and Tactics Ogre are my three favorite from said list.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Speaking of PSP, what's the general consensus on Gods Eater Burst? Looks like a pretty fun ARPG, but it also seems like it might lean a bit too much towards Monster Hunter for my liking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

Speaking of PSP, what's the general consensus on Gods Eater Burst? Looks like a pretty fun ARPG, but it also seems like it might lean a bit too much towards Monster Hunter for my liking.

It is Monster Hunter. Like, it was literally created to compete with Monster Hunter and its big selling point is that it is similar to Monster Hunter. If you don't want Monster Hunter, God Eater isn't going to work for you.