Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ThatPazuzu posted:

I appreciate that the stripes are all unique and not a simple design copy pasted over and over.

They reuse elements in the stripes, but it's far less noticeable than most attempts. For instance, I think only one gun is used more than once and it's reversed to not tip you off.

Have they released any plot synopsis of the sequel yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Young Freud posted:

Have they released any plot synopsis of the sequel yet?

The teaser trailer makes it seem like The Warriors 2: Come Out & Play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwxDUqE9txQ

Gotta survive the night, get across town

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

zenintrude posted:

The teaser trailer makes it seem like The Warriors 2: Come Out & Play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwxDUqE9txQ

Gotta survive the night, get across town

I like that they're doing it as another story set during one of the Purges instead of a direct sequel. I never saw the first one despite the trailer being interesting. I already like this concept a lot more than it all taking place in one house like the first appeared to be.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Young Freud posted:

They reuse elements in the stripes, but it's far less noticeable than most attempts. For instance, I think only one gun is used more than once and it's reversed to not tip you off.

Oh yeah, I know. I meant they didn't do a lazy repeating pattern but mixed up how they used the assets.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
A purge sequel deserves to be made since there's definitely more interesting things to be done with the concept. It'd be cool if they made it more overtly satirical. Or if they didn't, at least make it actually tense or scary.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think the main failing of The Purge was how little it card about the lower class character that was hiding in the house. Like he was pretty much the key to basically the whole thing and pretty much every angle in which the narrative could have been satirical, interesting or a at least a comment on something and instead they did pretty much nothing with that character other than use him as a thing that the MacGuffin.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

A purge sequel deserves to be made since there's definitely more interesting things to be done with the concept. It'd be cool if they made it more overtly satirical. Or if they didn't, at least make it actually tense or scary.

Yes. The biggest failing of The Purge was its complete waste of an interesting concept in favor of retreading the Home Invasion Psychos routine.

axleblaze posted:

I think the main failing of The Purge was how little it card about the lower class character that was hiding in the house.

The second largest failing was the Morality Transplant, where the characters don't act like they grew up and belonged in that universe. The kids, especially, acted as if they were hearing about and experiencing the Purge for the very first time. It was really misplaced and destroyed any semblance of internal consistency.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Too many to post but a bunch of crazy Star Wars posters here...

http://io9.com/incredibly-weird-sta...dium=socialflow

:what:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

No Swiss allowed!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Cacator posted:

No Swiss allowed!

I hate these filthy neutrals. With enemies you know where they stand; but with neutrals, who knows? It sickens me.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Better to piss off the Swiss than the Red Cross.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

Better to piss off the Swiss than the Red Cross.

Dude, don't piss off the Swiss. That's not really a toothpick on their pocketknives.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

kiimo posted:

:what:

I dunno what's with the lizard but that visual of one of Vader's eyes being the 2nd death star is awesome.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

effectual posted:

I dunno what's with the lizard but that visual of one of Vader's eyes being the 2nd death star is awesome.

I think it's supposed to be a Gamorean Guard. Maybe?

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

kiimo posted:

You picked the wrong ones to post. The Russian ones (all from the same two guys) are the best of the bunch.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Put that in a movie, Disney.
e: and include the alien in the left column whose head is a test-tube rack.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Feb 14, 2014

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

High Warlord Zog posted:

You picked the wrong ones to post. The Russian ones (all from the same two guys) are the best of the bunch.

I want to see these movies.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Just watch some old Worker and Parasite episodes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Random Stranger posted:

Dude, don't piss off the Swiss. That's not really a toothpick on their pocketknives.

Yeah right. What are they going to do? Attack us with a cuckoo clock?

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Ishiro Honda posters are all amazing, and not just the Godzilla ones.

(Gorath.)

(King Kong Escapes.)

(Frankenstein Conquers the World.)

These are all wonderful movies that you'll enjoy if you like robots and walrus attacks.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I love the expression on that guy in the blue suit in the corner. "Can you not...?"

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Ended up picking up a True Detective poster.

This one:

I wasn't a fan of the others really.

Also I just started watching True Detective last night and goddamn that is one well made show. Matthew McConaughey is unbelievably good.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Low Desert Punk posted:

(King Kong Escapes.)

These are all wonderful movies that you'll enjoy if you like robots and walrus attacks.

I have never wanted a poster more on my wall. Holy poo poo.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Those True Detective posters are especially disappointing since it's such a visually stunning show. It shouldn't be hard to make a good poster from it.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Those True Detective posters are especially disappointing since it's such a visually stunning show. It shouldn't be hard to make a good poster from it.

Just put the head with the roads from the intro on a poster.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Louisiana, especially the Delta portion of Louisiana (and the Mississippi portion of the Delta), are just stunningly picturesque that I can't believe they aren't incorporated at ALL.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Considered that TD poster, but I honestly have no clue what that poo poo even means yet. Maybe by episode 8 I'll want it.

Also if there's anyone not watching this show, you need to remedy that immediately. Not like a "oh hey this is cool" type of thing. Like a "drop everything & watch this" kind of thing.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Those True Detective posters are especially disappointing since it's such a visually stunning show.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Apologies if this was posted before (I checked a few pages back):

Drew Struzan, aka the guy that made amazing posters for Hook, The Thing, Raiders of the Lost Ark, BladeRunner and the Star Wars releases is being featured in a small art exhibit.

If youre in the Los Angeles area, head on over to Glendale's Forest Lawn Memorial cemetery. There's no admission fee, and being able to see his work up close is just mind blowing... You will believe a man can paint. (Dude's like organic Photoshop).

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Popelmon posted:

Just put the head with the roads from the intro on a poster.

This guy knows what's up.

Just pretend I posted every shot from the opening.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

My favorite thing about this is the roads making the same basic shape as his skull. I have my desktop background on a rotating selection of 1080 screen caps from the intro.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Art of the Title has a great behind the scenes article about the creation of that intro. I imagine the greatness of the title has a lot to do with the involvement of the actual people creating the show. If you read Art of the Title frequently you'll note that for TV shows it usually involves companies making pitches based on very little information and being mostly left to tinker in their own little world.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

That one is good, but this one is the best one. Like, holy poo poo. I have loved this shot ever since I first saw it. You have the reflection of the strip club lights in the form of a cross overlaid over a evangelical christian overlaid with storm clouds. SERIOUSLY, THAT poo poo IS AMAZING.

Also, this one...

And the stripper with the spiked heals. gently caress, I love that intro. Seriously, it is the best credit sequence outside of Enter the Void.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The highway over Woody is my favorite shot, but I find this one haunting as well:

In fact I love all of them. Here's all of them I'm using as my desktop in case any of you want them. I photoshopped out any names and such.

http://imgur.com/a/K4NF6

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Arkane posted:

Also if there's anyone not watching this show, you need to remedy that immediately. Not like a "oh hey this is cool" type of thing. Like a "drop everything & watch this" kind of thing.

Someone posted a clip which was like 6 minutes of a continuous shot following McConaughey's character through some undercover drug sting or something, as he goes into and out of houses and runs through alleys and streets. It looks pretty seamless, and I assume it was all one take.

It was pretty loving impressive whatever the case. I need to watch that show.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Fat Lou posted:

That one is good, but this one is the best one. Like, holy poo poo. I have loved this shot ever since I first saw it. You have the reflection of the strip club lights in the form of a cross overlaid over a evangelical christian overlaid with storm clouds. SERIOUSLY, THAT poo poo IS AMAZING.

All I can see is a nerd getting blasted by lasers during a lightsaber fight.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
This is the secret best shot in the show:

The entire series is directed by one guy.

A map of the long take:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zE66AOOpTqo0.kFhz5RglPO8Q

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

King Vidiot posted:

Someone posted a clip which was like 6 minutes of a continuous shot following McConaughey's character through some undercover drug sting or something, as he goes into and out of houses and runs through alleys and streets. It looks pretty seamless, and I assume it was all one take.

It was pretty loving impressive whatever the case. I need to watch that show.

It was all in one take and apparently it was super hard to do because it was shot on location, they only had a couple of days and they weren't allowed to do stuff like alter anything, so for the fence shot at the end they had to have the cameraman get onto one of those dolly things to lift him over the fence smoothly.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Wendell posted:

Just watch some old Worker and Parasite episodes.

Oh, you mean those Tom and Jerry cartoons that came after Hanna-Barbera made them, but before Chuck Jones?

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I do like this by http://www.oldredjalopy.com/:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011