Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Spiderfist Island posted:

It looks like Paradox released two new unit graphic packs today for Anglo-Saxons and the Finno-Ugric cultures, respectively. The Finno-Ugric pack may be useful for fantasy mods and actually looks really good.

But where is MY sub nationality unit pack, Paradox?! Where? :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Why are all troops looking the same through up to 600 years of technological progress? :colbert:

drat Paradox, I will not spend money on meaningless unit packs. Until they go on sale, oh god I am too weak :negative:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Node posted:

When creating a vassal republic (owning a duchy and county, granting the duchy to a mayor in that county) will he always have the -30 malus of Wrong Government Type? The only holding he owns is a city, he doesn't have a barony, so it's not like he thinks he is a feudal lord.

Another quick question while I'm at it - if you can create a second empire, do all of its de jure vassals get a malus against you, like if you owned a kingdom? (Desires the Kingdom of Buttholistan) for example. I'd save and reload to check but I'm playing ironman.

Yes, and yes but only kings can desire an empire, not dukes.

Torrannor posted:

Mayors will never try to get your title, never inherit other titles to grow in power and they pay more taxes, both for city taxes being higher by default and by making more money than a baron.

Feudal vassals give you better troops.

Choose what is more important to you.

Just to add on to this, Mayors may never actually want your title but that doesn't mean they're harmless - the relations penalty means they're often responsible for starting independence factions. Also, unlike feudal vassals, I'm pretty sure new patricians will be generated using the county's culture and religion, and the election process means that even if you put a same-culture/same-religion leader on the throne, his successor will probably lose the election and be replaced by a foreigner who hates you and may not have the same religion as you either. My first Merchant Republic vassal was a thorn in my side for a long time because between the -30 malus for being a non-feudal vassal and the -18 for being a foreigner, it was always starting and joining factions and trying to convince other vassals to do the same. So be careful where you make your Republics.

Node posted:

You either misread or I mistyped. The King of Bavaria was reconquested down to one county. He wants a bunch of his de jure duchies which are just under the empire's direct control. I could transfer vassalage to those duchies he wants, but it will make him too powerful. I just want to destroy his kingdom title so he stops bitching but since bavarian crown laws don't allow revocation, I can't.

You're basically a loving count, I should be able to curbstomp your title if you're that puny of a vassal.

If you're big enough for Imperial Reconquest, the King of Bavaria should be basically no threat to you even if he had the full de jure realm under his control. You've got a choice - leaving him as a one-province ruler means you have basically no reason to care if he hates you, but if you give him all the duchies he wants, he'll only be maybe ten percent of your realm and he'll be happy enough to not rebel anyway.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Main Paineframe posted:

Just to add on to this, Mayors may never actually want your title but that doesn't mean they're harmless - the relations penalty means they're often responsible for starting independence factions. Also, unlike feudal vassals, I'm pretty sure new patricians will be generated using the county's culture and religion, and the election process means that even if you put a same-culture/same-religion leader on the throne, his successor will probably lose the election and be replaced by a foreigner who hates you and may not have the same religion as you either. My first Merchant Republic vassal was a thorn in my side for a long time because between the -30 malus for being a non-feudal vassal and the -18 for being a foreigner, it was always starting and joining factions and trying to convince other vassals to do the same. So be careful where you make your Republics.

He plays a merchant republic so no mayor under him will have a "wrong government type" penalty.

Second, when you land someone of your culture and religion as a mayor and give him a county + duchy, thus making him a patrician, the four other generated patricians will be of the new doge's culture and religion, so unless their heirs are educated by the wrong people you won't have to worry about foreigner/infidel/heretic penalties.

Third, I agree that merchant republics are incredibly prone to form/join independence factions, which is why I reserve the best honorary titles for my vassal doges.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

hellsjudge posted:

Ugh i feel like such a pig. Patriarchy :argh:

The whole concubine game would be a million times better if my warrior queen could take male concubines, as it stands right now I'm forced to sacrifice them.

evvv: Trust me bro, I know how you feel. :(:hf::(

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 14, 2014

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

nutranurse posted:

The whole concubine game would be a million times better if my warrior queen could take male concubines, as it stands right now I'm forced to sacrifice them.

You have no idea how disappointed I was when I realized you couldn't take concubines as a queen.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

Also, unlike feudal vassals, I'm pretty sure new patricians will be generated using the county's culture and religion

I can testify that this isn't the case, as I've played a bajillion games (approximately) as crusader Jerusalem/Egypt/Syria and have set up merchant republics numerous times, and new patrician families remain whatever culture I set up the republic as. Elsewhere I've seen native culture patricians rarely pop up, but I think that's a matter of there being native culture mayors present when you take over a country and establish a republic. Like, if the county has five holdings including 2 cities and you establish a republic of your culture using one of the cities, but a native mayor in a secondary city is in that new republic, he might eventually end up being a patrician somehow and from there might end up ruling the whole republic.

Basically the point is, you need to kill off any foreign mayors you have if you want to prevent a vassal republic from going native.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

fool_of_sound posted:

You have no idea how disappointed I was when I realized you couldn't take concubines as a queen.

I do hope their new mod developer will make some kind of "male_concubines = yes" tag. Considering it's a position designed exclusively to expand modding capability, it's a distinct possibility!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Male concubines seems like it would make it really difficult to know which dude in particular was the father of the kid.

Not that it would pose any problems for the actual game mechanics, of course, but just thinking about it realistically.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Strudel Man posted:

Male concubines seems like it would make it really difficult to know which dude in particular was the father of the kid.

Not that it would pose any problems for the actual game mechanics, of course, but just thinking about it realistically.

Presumably you'd be using matrilineal descent though, and it wouldn't matter who the father was particularly, just like it doesn't matter which concubine/harem wife is the mother when things are reversed.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Fintilgin posted:

Presumably you'd be using matrilineal descent though, and it wouldn't matter who the father was particularly, just like it doesn't matter which concubine/harem wife is the mother when things are reversed.
The mother absolutely matters for one of the biggest benefits of concubines - grabbing kingdom claims from realms of different faiths. The kid has to be the child of the princess, or for male concubines, of the prince.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
GamersGate appears to have a decent sale on Crusader Kings 2 stuff. Not everything is included (Republic in particular is full price) but a lot of the DLCs are 75% off.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

jivjov posted:

GamersGate appears to have a decent sale on Crusader Kings 2 stuff. Not everything is included (Republic in particular is full price) but a lot of the DLCs are 75% off.

So does GMG, which has a 20% off coupon though you can only buy 5 things with it. Still, SoA at 20% off, bought.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Damnit I just bought SOA yesterday to get my hands on some free papal duchy claims =(

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Amazon is also matching prices for most of the expansions.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

The mother absolutely matters for one of the biggest benefits of concubines - grabbing kingdom claims from realms of different faiths. The kid has to be the child of the princess, or for male concubines, of the prince.

Maybe children of male concubines could only inherit weak claims, no matter what? The claim strength system works as an abstraction for a bunch of different things, this could be folded into it too.

Some kind of "dubious parentage" trait could come in handy in a lot of places.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ofaloaf posted:

I can testify that this isn't the case, as I've played a bajillion games (approximately) as crusader Jerusalem/Egypt/Syria and have set up merchant republics numerous times, and new patrician families remain whatever culture I set up the republic as. Elsewhere I've seen native culture patricians rarely pop up, but I think that's a matter of there being native culture mayors present when you take over a country and establish a republic. Like, if the county has five holdings including 2 cities and you establish a republic of your culture using one of the cities, but a native mayor in a secondary city is in that new republic, he might eventually end up being a patrician somehow and from there might end up ruling the whole republic.

Basically the point is, you need to kill off any foreign mayors you have if you want to prevent a vassal republic from going native.

This just isn't true.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

DStecks posted:

Maybe children of male concubines could only inherit weak claims, no matter what? The claim strength system works as an abstraction for a bunch of different things, this could be folded into it too.

Some kind of "dubious parentage" trait could come in handy in a lot of places.

Yeah, I kind of wish that the game did a little more with the "real father/suspected father" mechanic they introduced, and it could be used as well for male concubines as it could for the usual "husband/wife/lover" situation it arises in.

But you could probably deal with the concubine situation the same way: kid gets claims as if the father was whichever guy is the "suspected father", and maybe that gets assigned at random or something?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

But you could probably deal with the concubine situation the same way: kid gets claims as if the father was whichever guy is the "suspected father", and maybe that gets assigned at random or something?

You couldn't have it be purely random, though, because then you'd have situations where the Queen of Scandinavia has an Ethiopian prince concubine, and gives birth to a little black baby that everyone concludes is probably Sven McNorseypants's kid.

I can think of a few systems you could implement for how likely it would be to determine the real father, but they'd all be pretty drat complicated. And then there's all the edge cases: What if two of the concubines are brothers? What if the kid is the spitting image of the queen herself? If all kids with a "dubious parentage" trait can only inherit weak claims, then that has the right effect without double-dipping too many maluses.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Knuc U Kinte posted:

This just isn't true.
:shrug: I've just never seen a merchant republic become Levantine whenever I've played as Jerusalem or anything like that, ever. I've seen German republics set up in the east go Pomeranian, and I've seen Venice become Croatian, but I've never, ever seen a republic go Arab in Jerusalem, so I assumed it was a matter of lesser vassals surviving in regular wars v. the board being wiped clean in crusades and holy wars so there were no native vassals who could claw their way up.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
My vassals are flailing about capturing land on their own and its annoying. Until i can put in maximum crow authority what are my options for revoking duchy titles? Except for revoking a single county they have somewhere, making them rebel and then revoking the duchy cause they are TRAITORS.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DStecks posted:

You couldn't have it be purely random, though, because then you'd have situations where the Queen of Scandinavia has an Ethiopian prince concubine, and gives birth to a little black baby that everyone concludes is probably Sven McNorseypants's kid.

I can think of a few systems you could implement for how likely it would be to determine the real father, but they'd all be pretty drat complicated. And then there's all the edge cases: What if two of the concubines are brothers? What if the kid is the spitting image of the queen herself? If all kids with a "dubious parentage" trait can only inherit weak claims, then that has the right effect without double-dipping too many maluses.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the system. You cannot inherit strong claims, period. You can get strong claims when your father/mother dies and one of your siblings inherits, but you cannot inherit strong claims, even if your parent has a strong claim your claim will be weak. What is the change in your system?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What is the formula for counties changing culture?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Torrannor posted:

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the system. You cannot inherit strong claims, period. You can get strong claims when your father/mother dies and one of your siblings inherits, but you cannot inherit strong claims, even if your parent has a strong claim your claim will be weak. What is the change in your system?

:downs: Welp, I was not fully aware of that. I guess I thought that under certain circumstances, you could inherit a strong claim from a parent.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ofaloaf posted:

:shrug: I've just never seen a merchant republic become Levantine whenever I've played as Jerusalem or anything like that, ever. I've seen German republics set up in the east go Pomeranian, and I've seen Venice become Croatian, but I've never, ever seen a republic go Arab in Jerusalem, so I assumed it was a matter of lesser vassals surviving in regular wars v. the board being wiped clean in crusades and holy wars so there were no native vassals who could claw their way up.

The only thing I can think of is that the aI doesn't care about what culture their children are educated under, but do care about religion.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What is the formula for counties changing culture?

mean_time_to_happen = is 1200 months

Ruler's Stewardship :

Anything less than 5 multiplies it by 1.5 for each step, down to 0-1 (6075 months)
Anything above 9 reduces it by a quarter for each step, up to 13 (380 months)
Mongol culture lowers it by 60% if the year is before 1350

As far as I can tell there's a global reduction by 25% if the holders of the titles above yours match your culture.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Darkrenown posted:

Well I'm from Scotland so I'm not the ideal one to ask, but as far as I know most Swedes play games in English as even when games are available in Swedish they tend to be awful translations. Around the office the majority is Swedish, but everyone knows English, so if you want something to be universally read you do it in English.

Swedish is a very small language (less than 9 million speakers worldwide). Only the hugest of AAA titles get translated at all, so a lot of kids learn to play video games in English. I know I did.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Just coming back to this game, does the jewish pack DLC add anything if you don't plan on being a jew?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Danith posted:

Just coming back to this game, does the jewish pack DLC add anything if you don't plan on being a jew?

Yes, it fills out a lot of stuff for almost every religion. Strongly recommended.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Danith posted:

The Jew stuff is so incredibly minuscule compared to the enhancements to Catholicism.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Dallan Invictus posted:

Yeah, I kind of wish that the game did a little more with the "real father/suspected father" mechanic they introduced, and it could be used as well for male concubines as it could for the usual "husband/wife/lover" situation it arises in.
It seems kind of pointless, really. For virtually every game purpose, the child's father is who people think he is. DNA effects are usually subtle enough that you can't even tell that anything is amiss.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Strudel Man posted:

It seems kind of pointless, really. For virtually every game purpose, the child's father is who people think he is. DNA effects are usually subtle enough that you can't even tell that anything is amiss.

Sounds pretty realistic.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Its always awesome when the husband of the wife you're cheating with thinks the baby is his, when the skin color clearly shows otherwise.

Greenllama
Jun 10, 2013

I am a green llama capable of posting on SA forums. Please adopt me.

Uncle Jam posted:

Its always awesome when the husband of the wife you're cheating with thinks the baby is his, when the skin color clearly shows otherwise.

They didn't know about genetics

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
There's some medival sources that indicate a belief that a child with parents of different races would be white with black patches...

There's also a fair amount of medival writers who concluded that skin colour was purely a matter of environment, and that if a black child was raised in northern Europe or other cold areas, they'd turn white as they grew up.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Hahaha awesome, I forgot how bad they were at knowing things. I guess the slave trade out of Africa when they started figuring the whole skin color thing out then.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

ThomasPaine posted:

Sounds pretty realistic.
Sure. But, again, largely pointless to develop further, because what would you really do with it?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
When is truce-breaking worth it?

My Byzantine emperor is so close to sealing the deal on the Roman Empire with the Duchy of Ferrara (two counties away, now with a freshly-minted CB on one), and at 54 he's not getting any younger. Ideally he'd like to hand off that sweet Imperial Reconquest CB to his antichrist son. The thought of losing 50% prestige (is that per truce broken?) plus the reputation hit is tough to swallow.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

monster on a stick posted:

My Byzantine emperor is so close to sealing the deal on the Roman Empire with the Duchy of Ferrara (two counties away, now with a freshly-minted CB on one), and at 54 he's not getting any younger. Ideally he'd like to hand off that sweet Imperial Reconquest CB to his antichrist son. The thought of losing 50% prestige (is that per truce broken?) plus the reputation hit is tough to swallow.

There's so many alternate ways to get around a truce with a bit of patience that it's definitely not worth it. If the duchy starts a war against their liege, they won't be covered by your truce with their liege and you can just slip in and snatch them. Assassinating the person you have a truce with will also get rid of the truce, allowing you to attack. And if your own character dies, the truce ends too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.

monster on a stick posted:

Breaking a truce is worth it if you can't do the above mentioned things by Main. Still, breaking a truce isn't that bad. The prestige hit is, imo, not bad at all. Prestige gives it's maximum relationship bonus at 2000 and isn't used for that many things. As a bonus, sine you're the emperor of a nearly restored Roman Empire already you should have no problem at all regaining prestige back very quickly. Breaking a lot of truces as a character that is about to die of age/an assasination is very much worth it.

• Locked thread