Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Looks and plays better at 60 FPS :)
I've been working on this local 1v1/2v2 game for a while now, on-and-off. Already had lots of fun playing with friends.
Heavily inspired by the Kung Foot minigame from Rayman Legends... and Pong.

Here's a .jar if anybody wants to try it.
WASD or arrow keys or a 360 controller for controls, you have to press your up/jump key to ready yourself (2 players minimum) and then press P or the big play button. The rest will hopefully be self-explanatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Slime soccer? I used to play that poo poo in the library in high school.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Hah, that's what somebody mentioned in the Making Games Megathread too.
I've honestly never played nor even heard of it before, didn't make it to my part of the woods. But feel free to re-live your memories! :)

Guessing there's a better way to draw scanlines than just "a black bar with low transparency every other line"

Angryhead fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 6, 2014

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

movax posted:

Ahhhhhhhhhh you said 'power usage of 100mA' :argh:

Yeah, I know. :( I'm half asleep while I'm putting this stuff together. Sorry, movax! On the bright side, I'm breaking out some information into some call-out boxes that I whipped up:

code:
\newmdenv[skipabove=7pt,
skipbelow=7pt,
rightline=false,
leftline=true,
topline=false,
bottomline=false,
linecolor=gray,
backgroundcolor=black!5,
innerleftmargin=5pt,
innerrightmargin=5pt,
innertopmargin=5pt,
leftmargin=0cm,
rightmargin=0cm,
linewidth=4pt,
innerbottommargin=5pt]{cBox}

\newenvironment{updateWarn}{\begin{cBox}
\begin{tabular}{l l}{\begin{minipage}[c]{1cm}
\includegraphics[scale=0.05]{Boris_Bone.png}\end{minipage}}
&\begin{minipage}[c]{12cm}}
{\end{minipage}\end{tabular}\end{cBox}}
LaTeX! :argh:

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Angryhead posted:

Hah, that's what somebody mentioned in the Making Games Megathread too.
I've honestly never played nor even heard of it before, didn't make it to my part of the woods. But feel free to re-live your memories! :)
If you've never experienced the crazy exciting world of sports slimes, here you go: http://slimegames.eu/
They were all the rage during high school (I remember PowerSlime being specially silly), so might give you some extra ideas for your game.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Cricket was the best but no one else understood it so it was hard to find opponents.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

clockwork automaton posted:

Today was a company hackathon so I decided yet again to work on something not related to my job at all.

LÖVE makes working with Lua quite fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEEAONl4qos

No one commented on this but I thought it was pretty cool. Kinda dislike lua though for its barebonesness when I was using it to hack some NES games.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Crossposting my progress sfrom the Making Games thread over here.

Tons of progress and stolen assets! I switched over to the Press Turn system and it plays so much better. If you aren't familiar, the basic idea is that hitting weaknesses and getting crits nabs you extra turn actions, while missing or nullified attacks lose them. Half turn icons can still be used as a normal turn, so a perfect phase nets every unit two turns. That's not the biggest addition in this build, though; sound! Again, lots of stolen assets, but it helps nail down a good look and feel and really adds to the game IMO. Desktop and Android versions right here:

Desktop: http://aarondgordon.com/amt/rpg.jar
Android: http://aarondgordon.com/amt/rpg.apk

Download it, give it a shot, and let me know what you think or how you broke it. The story stuff that happens when you lose the battle is just kind of left over, but if you click through it you can get back into the battle as many times as you like.

Filburt Shellbach
Nov 6, 2007

Apni tackat say tujay aaj mitta juu gaa!
I'm working on an iOS game for teaching you Japanese in a way that isn't stupid boring.

It uses SpriteKit which initially pissed me off (why can't I just use Core Animation??) but I've grown to appreciate it. I do worry about its long-term viability, but I've been good about separating model from view from controller, so I could still potentially replace it with cocos2d if Apple does gently caress it up.

Currently I'm a little over a month in, almost 10k lines of sweet Objective-C code.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
Did you ever finish that nethack ai?

Filburt Shellbach
Nov 6, 2007

Apni tackat say tujay aaj mitta juu gaa!
Nah I got sick of NetHack. It got to Medusa once or twice. After that was the hard stuff.

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
More progress on my xml editor

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
I was told I wasn't doing Tumblr right without a cat gif. I am the master of Tumblr. (finally made one for my devlog shots)

Besides, Franky will stop bouncing soon, when I give her AI... seemed right to commemorate the bounciness.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

The demo looks really nice. I'd make a but I'm really drunk joke but drunkposting is against the rules and someone might not have read your site and take it seriously. Can it deal with schemas that include other schemas?

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh909VWASgY

Polished the UI a bit and added a display for the MtG-style stack. Pretty happy with how this is coming, attack animations are really the only major thing missing from the battle system at this point.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

hendersa posted:

Yeah, I know. :( I'm half asleep while I'm putting this stuff together. Sorry, movax! On the bright side, I'm breaking out some information into some call-out boxes that I whipped up:

code:
\newmdenv[skipabove=7pt,
skipbelow=7pt,
rightline=false,
leftline=true,
topline=false,
bottomline=false,
linecolor=gray,
backgroundcolor=black!5,
innerleftmargin=5pt,
innerrightmargin=5pt,
innertopmargin=5pt,
leftmargin=0cm,
rightmargin=0cm,
linewidth=4pt,
innerbottommargin=5pt]{cBox}

\newenvironment{updateWarn}{\begin{cBox}
\begin{tabular}{l l}{\begin{minipage}[c]{1cm}
\includegraphics[scale=0.05]{Boris_Bone.png}\end{minipage}}
&\begin{minipage}[c]{12cm}}
{\end{minipage}\end{tabular}\end{cBox}}
LaTeX! :argh:

LaTeX docs are the best docs, though! Think of all the things you can (and probably already do) programatically generate / include in them!

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

:catstare:

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

AAAAAaaaaaahhhh!!

The best hockey.

Largo Usagi
Jan 9, 2013
I have been working on a Jukebox for intranets. I am using an Java back end to provide a rest service and AngularJS for the UI and bootstrap as hold over styles.

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

Dren posted:

Can it deal with schemas that include other schemas?

Not currently but I think I have a way around that.

The schema validation code is in C (XMLLint) compiled to JavaScript using emscripten, so the schema resolver is in an almost impenetrable mess of minified JavaScript that I'd prefer not to touch. So I can either do the simple thing and resolve included schemas beforehand (being careful to avoid a billion laughs attack), or try to make the schema resolver use XHR. So yeah I think I can get includes working but it might take a few weeks.

N.Z.'s Champion fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 11, 2014

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Workin on stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt2P-yI5knY&hd=1

Edit: vvv :allears: There's more info in the youtube desc kinda.

Edit2: Updated and fixed some stuff. Added more variations too. Info in desc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpgzTwkbH8c&hd=1

Jewel fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 15, 2014

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Laundry Simulator 2015

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
Next Duke Nukem game is gonna have some sweet tassel physics.

Vankwish
Dec 3, 2012

Game Dev

Thanks to AlphaBetaGamer.com

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Screenshot Saturday

Progress! :science:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
Is this the beginnings of a Carnage Heart clone?

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Internet Janitor posted:

Is this the beginnings of a Carnage Heart clone?

I had to look up Carnage Heart on YouTube, but it looks far more complex than what I'm planning to make. My idea boils down to, program a number of robots using the board shown in the GIF, hit play, watch the robots solve a puzzle and/or walk into the nearest wall. I'm basing it more on SpaceChem than anything else.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

From Earth posted:

I had to look up Carnage Heart on YouTube, but it looks far more complex than what I'm planning to make. My idea boils down to, program a number of robots using the board shown in the GIF, hit play, watch the robots solve a puzzle and/or walk into the nearest wall. I'm basing it more on SpaceChem than anything else.

May I recommend having a tile pool you can also drag from, like SpaceChem? Less clicks and an overview of what you can place is always a good thing. Just thinking in terms of "what made SpaceChem's UI more enjoying than most puzzle games to me" here.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

From Earth posted:

Sounds like robo rally. a competitive game mode with a limited set of tiles (that you draw) and use, would be pretty cool. Robo rally was a fun board game (spinnaz gonna spin).

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Largo Usagi posted:

I have been working on a Jukebox for intranets. I am using an Java back end to provide a rest service and AngularJS for the UI and bootstrap as hold over styles.

I approve of your musical choices.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Sorry for spamming the heck out of this thread ahaha.

I was looking at some neat vector art and wanted to make something similar. I had the idea of overlapping shapes creating a different color based on how many overlaps each shape had. I realised a stencil buffer does pretty counts the overlaps and I could use it, so i whipped this up :catdrugs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk8M4RBt9OI&hd=1

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Lots of progress on my RPG! There's a field state now and you can walk around. I have a rudimentary map format, map collision, and you can bind scripts to tiles. It's starting to function like a real RPG, I'm stoked.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

kayakyakr posted:

Sounds like robo rally. a competitive game mode with a limited set of tiles (that you draw) and use, would be pretty cool. Robo rally was a fun board game (spinnaz gonna spin).

I know and love Robo Rally, so, yeah, I guess it'd be like SpaceChem meets RoboRally (and Carnage Heart, apparently).

Jewel posted:

May I recommend having a tile pool you can also drag from, like SpaceChem? Less clicks and an overview of what you can place is always a good thing. Just thinking in terms of "what made SpaceChem's UI more enjoying than most puzzle games to me" here.

I've added it to the list of Things To Look At Once The Basic Stuff Is More Or Less Working.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

DeathBySpoon posted:

Lots of progress on my RPG! There's a field state now and you can walk around. I have a rudimentary map format, map collision, and you can bind scripts to tiles. It's starting to function like a real RPG, I'm stoked.
I've been watching your Tumblr/in here, and the field looks cool, but I'm not clear on how it features into gameplay. Each "field" looks really small.

Are you thinking, like, NES room-style fields, where when you walk off one side, you page into a new NES-sized overworld "room"? Kinda like Zelda 1? Or is this for something else?

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Yeah, that's basically what I'm thinking, although they'll be a little bigger than I've shown. If you've played Persona 3, I'm aiming for about the size of one floor of Tartarus. They're small because I'm generating them all in code right now and haven't actually started the map editor. Ideally you'll be able to scale the base tile size to increase or decrease the scale of the environment you're making; bigger tiles for a zoomed out overworld, smaller tiles for interiors and the like. I'm also still toying with the idea of a first person mode for interiors, but I get the feeling a lot of people don't like first person dungeon crawling.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

DeathBySpoon posted:

A little bit of shading (even just face normal based) would really help the perception of depth on those fields.

leedo
Nov 28, 2000

I started messing around with WebRTC for video + chat, and ended up with this weird GIF chat thing: awkwar.de/chat. It doesn't actually use WebRTC anymore, just navigator.getUserMedia + WebSockets.

Unfortunately it only works properly in Chrome. A FF bug makes it only mostly work there.

Playing around with an iOS app for it as well.

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
Being very jealous about TwitchPlaysPokemon, I've been trying to create my own IRC-scraper.

I've actually managed to scrape the Twitch IRC. Yea... that's it. But it took me a few hours and I never made it this far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...

DeathBySpoon posted:

What did you write this in?