Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
I talk to my dad online a lot and my mom on the phone about 3 times a week. I live 1-2 hours away from them and try to see them every couple of months at least. Even living one state over is weird in out family. We're from Baltimore, everyone stays in Baltimore.

My husband's family is the opposite. They talk a few times a year. He has a sister who lives near us, but we never see her. Sometimes I say he should call his dad and he asks why. I don't really have a good reason besides "family members should talk sometimes". It's not even that they don't get along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
me and my parents go on WoW raids often and they split the loot more generously if i call them at least once a week

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Putty posted:

me and my parents go on WoW raids often and they split the loot more generously if i call them at least once a week

Good Parenting.

I sent my mom tea for Valentine's Day. She knit me fingerless gloves, and gave my husband yarn and needles and instructions on knitting socks :)

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

detectivemonkey posted:

My husband's family is the opposite. They talk a few times a year. He has a sister who lives near us, but we never see her. Sometimes I say he should call his dad and he asks why. I don't really have a good reason besides "family members should talk sometimes". It's not even that they don't get along.

Sometimes you really don't have that much to say or anything in common anymore. I talk to my dad maybe four times a year and we always have interesting conversations about stuff. I never talk to my mom (they're not together anymore)other than when I see her at holidays. She'll never really tell me anything she's doing other than long boring rehearsed stories about places she's traveled to and she doesn't seem all that interested in my life so phone calls are just painful.

My brother and I probably talk about once a month. We were pretty close (a year apart) until late middle school when he got "cool" friends but I remained a big geek. In our very early twenties, we never talked and I could see that it'd be really easy to keep on like that until we didn't know each other at all. So when I decided to go back to college, I deliberately moved to where he was and we got to be friends again. We're not best buds (things changed a lot when he got married and had kids) but I'm really glad we still have a relationship.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Me and my bro genuinely enjoy each others company, but he's ten years older with a family and doesn't live nearby so we don't hang out. We don't phone, either, but that's because he doesn't phone anyone often and I'm okay with that.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

t_violet posted:

Sometimes you really don't have that much to say or anything in common anymore. I talk to my dad maybe four times a year and we always have interesting conversations about stuff. I never talk to my mom (they're not together anymore)other than when I see her at holidays. She'll never really tell me anything she's doing other than long boring rehearsed stories about places she's traveled to and she doesn't seem all that interested in my life so phone calls are just painful.

My brother and I probably talk about once a month. We were pretty close (a year apart) until late middle school when he got "cool" friends but I remained a big geek. In our very early twenties, we never talked and I could see that it'd be really easy to keep on like that until we didn't know each other at all. So when I decided to go back to college, I deliberately moved to where he was and we got to be friends again. We're not best buds (things changed a lot when he got married and had kids) but I'm really glad we still have a relationship.

I think that's pretty much the case. It's just weird because sometimes there are actual things to talk about, they just...don't. When his grandmother does, his mom messaged me on Facebook to tell us. She didn't message him. Then about a week later we were talking to his sister and she said "oh yeah, I was supposed to tell you...". Grandmother lived in a different country but still. What?

It does help to see that I'm kind of the odd duck. FG do you want to start a goonettes who loved their moms club?

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

-

Portals fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 4, 2014

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

My family is totally weird and awkward because we've never said nice things to each other or hug and stuff. I try to break out of it as an adult but the other party is still always really awkward so we are very not close

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Corn Thongs posted:

My family is totally weird and awkward because we've never said nice things to each other or hug and stuff. I try to break out of it as an adult but the other party is still always really awkward so we are very not close

Haha one side of my family is huggy and the other is definitely not. Everyone was leaving Thanksgiving at the same time one year. I hugged an aunt, and my grandpa didn't know what to do for his goodbye so he awkwardly tried to shake my hand. It was adorable.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
I'm kind of a momma's boy and call her at least once a week. She has been struggling with health issues (brain aneurysm a year and a half ago) and being an unemployed nurse so I try to make sure she's at least doing okay. My brother and I talk at least a couple times a month, too. I'm pretty family-oriented so I love being around them. Unfortunately we're all spread out (I'm in Colorado, she's in Houston, brother's in Atlanta) so I only get to see them every so often.

if I ever get tied down I would want them to have a connected family to make up for my weird dysfunctional one.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Portals posted:

I should contact my brother more often. we're both awful at keeping in touch with people but we get along really well when we do see each other, he's only a year and a half older than me and share similar nerdly interests and senses of humor

You should do it, sometimes you have to work to make it happen. (Something I have never learned to do in romantic situations, second it gets hard, I'm like eff it, I'm out)

OK, now I have to post this awesome pic of me and my bro in like 1990? I look like Harry Potter and those are incredibly stylish acid washed jeans.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Ghostbusters is great, I think I'm going to have chinese food and watch that tonight.

Why did I suddenly start thinking about Ghostbusters?

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Pookah posted:

Ghostbusters is great, I think I'm going to have chinese food and watch that tonight.

Why did I suddenly start thinking about Ghostbusters?

it is never a bad time to think about ghostbusters

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

I love my family, sometimes they can be annoying but mostly they are great and we all get crunk together
it probably helps that my sister is only 9 months younger than me, although we did fight like mad when we were kids

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I see my mom every week, since we usually go out shopping together every Sunday. Lately, I've been staying at home to get some work done and there's only so many times you can go to the same Goodwills and Value Villages before you need to take a break.

I'm thinking of coming out to my mom when she comes over tomorrow. She left her church because they voted against gay marriage, but at the same time, she hated the newest Miss Marple series because there were too many lesbians and she really hates Madonna for kissing another woman on stage, among other things.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

You are her daughter not Madonna though, she will still love you :)

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Nessa posted:

I see my mom every week, since we usually go out shopping together every Sunday. Lately, I've been staying at home to get some work done and there's only so many times you can go to the same Goodwills and Value Villages before you need to take a break.

I'm thinking of coming out to my mom when she comes over tomorrow. She left her church because they voted against gay marriage, but at the same time, she hated the newest Miss Marple series because there were too many lesbians and she really hates Madonna for kissing another woman on stage, among other things.

Sounds like the "I think it's fine, I just don't need to see it" attitude that is best combatted by realizing that it includes people you love. Lady thread will give you strength!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Me and my brother used to have thing where we'd get a takeaway at the weekend and watch good kung-fu movies but he's not around at the moment and it's just not the same watching them without him :(

Also some fool has deleted Ghostbusters so now what the hell can I watch? I did find a triple set of Arnie films - Conan The B / Commando / Predator while looking for the hard copy of GB.

I am currently leaning towards watching Predator.

edit: poo poo, all of my favourite kung-fu movie of all time, Dreadnought is up on youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz5NVA4ahRs

Featuring an amazing fight between 2 carnival animals and The Angriest Man in the Universe.

Also I just realised that it was actually t_violet's picture that made me think of ghostbusters - you kinda look like Janine there.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 15, 2014

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

Corn Thongs posted:

You are her daughter not Madonna though, she will still love you :)

That's great advice.

Families are weird, my family has never been the touchy-feely type, but I talk to parents once a week or so and my younger sister less so, but we get along great. My wife's family, on the other hand, talk constantly and love to get drunk and hug and cry. I bet my wife talks to her parents at least 5 times a week, sometimes for an hour. I couldn't do that with my parents if I tried.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Yeah I know. She just gets really mad about lesbians. When she was talking about Miss Marple, she was super angry about how horrible it was that they put lesbians all over the place and how back in her day, women could live together and hold hands without it being seen as sexual. She was thoroughly disgusted by it.

I guess that just makes me a little apprehensive.

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

detectivemonkey posted:

this is my family, we pretty much only contact eachother out of obligation or necessity but there isn't really any bad blood between any of us, we're just not a talky bunch.

nessa i hope your mom is really nice and understanding towards you

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Nessa posted:

Yeah I know. She just gets really mad about lesbians. When she was talking about Miss Marple, she was super angry about how horrible it was that they put lesbians all over the place and how back in her day, women could live together and hold hands without it being seen as sexual. She was thoroughly disgusted by it.

good luck tomorrow, I hope it goes all right :unsmith:

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

My immediate family are not at all huggy, we don't do the whole "I love you" thing. We do obviously love eachother but we're just a bit emotionally stunted. There's a lot of fights and arguments since we're all stupidly opinionated. My little sister is awesome though.

My boyfriends family are the complete opposite and when I go down to see them I get hugs and kisses and everything and I always feel like I'm doing affection wrong :( whenever my bfs parents have an argument the bf always gets all concerned and sad and I'm just like "what is that not normal" :downs:

One side of my extended family I never talk to. Just found out my cousin is pregnant, couldn't care less except to wonder what the baby is going to look like since her bf has a total troll face.
The other side is cooler, I have super cute little cousins. And I love their dog.

Good luck with your mum Nessa! I've known plenty of people who would say weird things about gay people when they think they don't know any but friends or relatives coming out really puts it into perspective for them and they realise they've been silly.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

My freshman year roommate talked to her parents for an hour or more every single day. They knew everything about each other, it was genuinely bizarre. When she got a serious boyfriend, her mom sent her lingerie

ugh i would die

My mom's side of the family and my dad's side are both chill, blue collar and usually drunk except for my one aunt on my mom's side who works for Northrop Grumman and is scary into missiles and drones

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

My mom's side of the family and my dad's side are both chill, blue collar and usually drunk except for my one aunt on my mom's side who works for Northrop Grumman and is scary into missiles and drones
wanna meet that aunt

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Nessa posted:

It might be less about lesbians and more about how sometimes it seems like you only see adults in media showing affection if it's sexual. Kinda how shippers always construe any signs of friendship as indicating that they're "doing it". Hopefully she won't freak out. (I've never introduced either of my parents to anyone I've dated and they've each separately given me the "when you meet the right man...or woman" speech which is so :3:)

Pookah posted:

Also I just realised that it was actually t_violet's picture that made me think of ghostbusters - you kinda look like Janine there.

I'd totally forgotten what she looked like, yeah, I guess she had the red hair, bangs, and round glasses. Which is cool 'cause Annie Potts was very cool back in the day, she was amazing in Pretty in Pink.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Miss Callie says hello. She's digging her claws into my leg fairly firmly here.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Portals posted:

I should contact my brother more often. we're both awful at keeping in touch with people but we get along really well when we do see each other, he's only a year and a half older than me and share similar nerdly interests and senses of humor

my mom is awesome though and I am not afraid to admit that, she is kind of my role model

Ask your brother to hook you up with some dude. If you are that similar he must at least have one buddy he thinks will be a good match for you.

Plus he probably knows that certain friends are creepers and will avoid them.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Shannonmcn posted:

Clearly a quality housecat.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Shannonmcn posted:

hello miss callie

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Shannonmcn posted:

Good luck with your mum Nessa! I've known plenty of people who would say weird things about gay people when they think they don't know any but friends or relatives coming out really puts it into perspective for them and they realise they've been silly.

Thanks dudes. We'll see if I even have the nerve tomorrow. I've been putting this off for a whole year now.

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away

Nessa posted:

I'm thinking of coming out to my mom when she comes over tomorrow.

Because I'm over 35 and not married, my parents think I have a Deep Dark Secret that I'm not sharing with them. Every so often they ask me if I've met "any nice guys........or girls"

I am not into ladies please stop trying to drag me out of a closet when there isn't one.

They've met a few of the guys I've dated. You'd think they'd be *relieved* I'm not all that interested in dating.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
frolf

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
my mum and i are super close, she gets a call every day or every second day at the latest, and my grandmother and i are also super close (but she only gets a call twice a week because she is a busy lady and i don't want to interrupt her while she's out clubbing)

on the other side of the family, i talk to one of my half-brothers about once a year; i've talked to my half-sister twice in my entire life; my other half-brother i've never met or even seen a photo of; my other half-sister is but a rumour of a person who may or may not exist; and my father has apparently disowned me because i'm possessed by the spirit of ariel sharon

please note, siblings are cool, but if you're going to have kids it's better to just have one and love the hell out of them than have half a dozen and neglect them all

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Also, sometimes when I'm talking to my mother on the phone she takes the phone into the bathroom with her like it ain't no thing if she has to go.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I'm super close with my family, as in my mom, step dad, sister and brother. Very tight group and though they really throw down, it usually tapers off for a few days. I'm lucky my bio dad was laid back and my husband is chill because my family can get pretty volatile. That said, my parents would always, and always will help us if we need. Dads side of the family is small as well but as an adult I find them and their greed pretty insufferable so I've been keeping my distance big time.
My mom and I got for Indian food on the reg and I watch Walking Dead with my dad and little brother every Sunday :3: though there's an 8 year difference between my brother and I, we are close and watch horror movies together pretty frequently.

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 16, 2014

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Thora posted:

Because I'm over 35 and not married, my parents think I have a Deep Dark Secret that I'm not sharing with them. Every so often they ask me if I've met "any nice guys........or girls"

I am not into ladies please stop trying to drag me out of a closet when there isn't one.

They've met a few of the guys I've dated. You'd think they'd be *relieved* I'm not all that interested in dating.

It's possible they want grandbabbies.

I have an annoying uncle who always likes to ask when I'm getting married (though the answer to that one is July 19th), when I'm having babies, why I don't want to have babies (I never said I didn't), when I'll get a car and when I'll be going to school to get a real job. He says it would be best if I went into nursing.

I would not be capable of being a nurse. I would make a horrible nurse.

Thankfully, we won't be making any speeches at my wedding, so he won't cause a scene like he did at his daughter's wedding in September.

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

Toriori posted:

and I watch Walking Deaf

sounds boring

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
my family all think i'm into ladies too because i've told them that i will never, ever let a man into my life. ladies are great but honestly my father is a gently caress-up and my stepfather is a gently caress-up and i just don't want anyone around who will screw up my kid's childhood like they screwed up mine and that's all there is to it :( unfortunately single women pretty much can't adopt in australia so idk where i'm going to get a child from, hopefully someone will leave one on my doorstep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Tempus Fugit posted:

sounds boring

Well there aren't a lot of travel shows for the hearing impaired so you have to make due (I'll fix that).

• Locked thread