Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Fief: France 1429 has 27 hours left, and it seems like an incredibly cool game (that I think is already released in French so it's hopefully not going to be a surprise dud) with a ton of free expansions and stuff. Also, medieval coins as an add on! And some plastic stronghold things if that's your bag.

If only it were designed for two players. I really want the game for it's beautiful layout and KS but I am afraid wouldn't hit the table enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Jedit posted:

It looks nice, but it's over $200 for an untried game from an untried company. The guy also set his revised goal at $2k when he needed $9k - not to say he's dishonest, but it doesn't raise my confidence in his planning.

It's only $90 + shipping for the whole game, with the original and Egyptian minis. Paying over $200 just gets you two more expansions, some markers and an art book.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 11, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

VacuumJockey posted:

I made a giant fuckup and posted about the Kickstarter for Far Away Lands on the main page, which sadly speaks ill of my cognitive state. But here it is, a non-d20-based RPG inspired by Red Box D&D, Adventure Time, Zardoz, Order of the Stick and Grud knows what else. I have a weakness for this sort of stuff, so I kicked in 30 bucks...

This looks interesting, but it has that trying-too-hard feel to it that's making me a bit wary.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
This is Indiegogo, and it -is- the flexible funding option where they keep your money either way, so fair warning, but Swedish gaming magazine Fenix is crowdfunding a three volume Best Of collection in English that's going to include strictly content that is either an original tabletop game of some kind (board, card, roleplaying) or content that's relevant to games that are available in English.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/best-of-fenix/x/449613

It's most notable because noted game designer and writer Kenneth Hite has been contributing to Fenix for a while now and several of his pieces are included. $20 for one volume in PDF, $50 for all three. There are also print levels that are more expensive and require additional shipping if going outside of Sweden, so I personally skipped those.

Lawrence Edward
Mar 28, 2013
I can't believe the Hero Forge Kickstarter hasn't been mentioned yet. 3D-printed custom miniatures. Want a half-elf with chainmail and two longswords? Want to pick the pose they're in? Boom, done. Pick your race, pick your weapons, pick your armor, pick your spell effects, pick your pose, then you get a miniature on the other end. Super excited about this kickstarter. Hope they make their cyberpunk stretch goal. 6 days left.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I'm divided on whether or not to pledge for Against the Dark Yogi. On one hand, I love any attempt to make a non-European RPG, and the rich history of Indian myth should make for an excellent setting. But the creator hasn't shown much about how the game works mechanically, and it would be a shame to fund for an awesome setting that stays true to the spirit of the myths, but has lovely crunch. Anyone have an opinion?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Lawrence Edward posted:

I can't believe the Hero Forge Kickstarter hasn't been mentioned yet.

It has, but the general consensus was that it's prohibitively expensive. Which is a shame, since it's a good idea but the technology just isn't quite far enough along to make something like this practical.

Lawrence Edward
Mar 28, 2013

moths posted:

It has, but the general consensus was that it's prohibitively expensive. Which is a shame, since it's a good idea but the technology just isn't quite far enough along to make something like this practical.

My bad, I must've not gone far enough back in the thread. You guys think that $20-25 for a custom miniature is too much money?

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

My bad, I must've not gone far enough back in the thread. You guys think that $20-25 for a custom miniature is too much money?

I think it's a reasonable price for a custom mini, just like $12000 would be a reasonable price for a solid gold one. But they're both competing with normal minis that are much cheaper and have largely similar utility.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lawrence Edward posted:

When a cheap mini I already have works just as well, yep.

I understand the draw, mind you.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but there is a Kickstarter for the 3rd edition of the RPG for The Mutant Chronicles. The reason I think this might be relevant is that the "cinematic rules" are going to be designed by Jay Little, who designed the X-Wing Minatures Game, and more importantly, designed Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3E and its heir, Star Wars: Edge of the Empire.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Lawrence Edward posted:

It's $30 if you want "high resolution" one, which can get you a while box of plastic multipart figures. With that, you can customize a dozen of your own figures from the options provided. Which is just what they're doing, but in the least cost-efficient way possible.

E: I missed the boat on oMutant Chronicles, but grabbing with both hands this time.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Eh... I don't think it's necessarily too much for a custom mini. But I think at the moment, they're a little spare in terms of options, looking at their examples. Particularly in terms of faces. Now, that's something that can be fixed with the investment of more assets in their system, and I think that's part of what the campaign is meant to fund. They also added more races, which increases the utility. It's fairly easy to find, say, an elf or a human that matches your character, but harder to find a good gnome or a dragonman that fits.

A lot of people also don't do much conversion with their minis. If you're good with conversions, and you have a good library of parts to draw on, this becomes much less useful to you. And most of the people in this thread fall into that category. Personally, I suck at conversions. Commissar Kringle was pretty much the limit to my ability to convert miniatures, and he did not end up pretty. It's a bit like Reaper's broccoli bases. For those of us that like to base our minis properly, it's an annoyance. But for someone who just wants to give the mini a quick paint job and plink it on the table, it saves time, since you can just give it a quick basecoat and drybrush and have something that more-or-less resembles terrain.

I do understand the idea of "I can just plonk down a mini that's close enough." However, some people do like to have a mini that's close to what their character looks like. I've seen the gamut from "I'll just plop down the dog from monopoly, since you just need to know where my character is," to "No, he's using a short sword, so he can't possibly be my character."

Now, I haven't pledged. I'm probably not going to. I've got a crap ton of minis already, and while I don't do much conversion, there's a good chance I have a decent match somewhere in my collection. But I can understand why someone would pledge to it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm probably a little biased in that they're misrepresenting what they provide as "custom" when it's not. A true custom mini for thirty dollars would be a steal, but this is head F on torso C with weapon B, and legs J. There's already a hundred cheaper ways to accomplish that.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I like the angle of the design software being made such that you can fiddle and tweak the parts all you like, and in the end what you see is what you get.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

I have mixed feelings on the Kingdom Builder Big Box campaign... Has anyone else looked at it? Since there's no stretch goals (in the description it says the only thing coming out of the campaign is an island expansion), the early bird tiers are the only ones where you'd get a slight price break as a bonus to pledging.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

homullus posted:

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but there is a Kickstarter for the 3rd edition of the RPG for The Mutant Chronicles. The reason I think this might be relevant is that the "cinematic rules" are going to be designed by Jay Little, who designed the X-Wing Minatures Game, and more importantly, designed Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3E and its heir, Star Wars: Edge of the Empire.

Sure, those rulesets are awesome, but why does it still say D20 roll under? I want fancy dice!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Cassa posted:

Sure, those rulesets are awesome, but why does it still say D20 roll under? I want fancy dice!

Jay Little does love fancy dice. I don't know whether he has been given the freedom to add that as well, but it's possible!

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
The latest Delta Green short story collection is up on kickstarter and already hit the initial funding goal:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcdream/delta-green-tales-from-failed-anatomies

They've gone with ebooks at $10/15 (15 to get the stretch goal stories), with the option to buy POD copies via Drivethru.

They've also added a $30 option that gives you access to the new Delta Green rulebook Alpha playtesting when it starts sometime this spring (though it is DG so i'm figuring summer). Normally the idea of paying to test something sees me run a mile, but DG is in a very small list of 'just take my money' products and designers.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Niemat posted:

I have mixed feelings on the Kingdom Builder Big Box campaign... Has anyone else looked at it? Since there's no stretch goals (in the description it says the only thing coming out of the campaign is an island expansion), the early bird tiers are the only ones where you'd get a slight price break as a bonus to pledging.

The Queen Games Kickstarters have always had that whiff to me of just being a pre-order system. This one is no different - it looks nice but Queen will be doing it anyway, regardless of what people pledge and they aren't giving away any major discounts. Or in short: I'll buy it at Essen.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
So I'm sure everyone with an account got an e-mail but just in case it got lost in the shuffle or you haven't seen it yet, Kickstarter got hacked. They say no credit card information was stolen but that usernames, e-mail addresses, and encrypted passwords may have been, so they're encouraging everyone to change their Kickstarter passwords and maybe any other accounts they have that use the same password.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

So I'm sure everyone with an account got an e-mail but just in case it got lost in the shuffle or you haven't seen it yet, Kickstarter got hacked. They say no credit card information was stolen but that usernames, e-mail addresses, and encrypted passwords may have been, so they're encouraging everyone to change their Kickstarter passwords and maybe any other accounts they have that use the same password.

I didn't get this email, and there is no mention on Kickstarter's front page. Are you getting hosed by a phisher?

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Carteret posted:

I didn't get this email, and there is no mention on Kickstarter's front page. Are you getting hosed by a phisher?

https://www.kickstarter.com/blog/important-kickstarter-security-notice

Looks genuine, but I didn't get an email either.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I ended up getting a marquee when I visited Kickstarter.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Carteret posted:

It's completely legit, but I have no idea why they haven't sent emails out yet.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I got an email earlier today.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
E-mail, marquee, woke up from a violent sick to a retweet of a Mashable article about it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, I made sure to double-check. News sites are reporting on it, so if it is a phishing scam it's an amazingly convincing one.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I found Journey to the Overland today. Sure, I'd rather play a solo tabletop game than a solo cRPG because I'm some kind of weirdo. But I cannot figure out why he's asking $90 for the final game. It's not miniatures-intensive, and by declaring the value as $90, offering a $15 PDF option is a steal.

...Oh God I just watched the videos and backed for $15. This guy's got a vision, and that vision is a more badass Barbarian Prince.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Did you enjoy the Marvel OverPower CCG? Then you might like the Marvels OverPower Expansion!

He definitely understands licensing:

quote:

All images used in creating this expansion to the popular CCG are all owned by me through bought comic books and or posters and such that I have bought through the years.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
That's adorable. You just kind of want to pat him on the head and tell him he's a winner just for trying.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

JackMann posted:

That's adorable. You just kind of want to pat him on the head and tell him he's a winner just for trying.
"Any money collected is a donation and is used in the cost of printing the cards. I pay out of my own money any shipping cost from printer to me and me to donations participant. At no time do I make ANY money for this project. All funds are donations"

Yes, that ought to get the lawyers off his back. It also works with drug deals.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I almost want him to make it to funding just to watch him flail about wildly and fall to deliver because he clearly has no idea what he's doing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Peas and Rice posted:

Did you enjoy the Marvel OverPower CCG? Then you might like the Marvels OverPower Expansion!

He definitely understands licensing:

This window licker's gonna get taken to the cleaners and I love it.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Set of 96 cards (pictures ripped from comics) for $12 (includes shipping & handling)

Seems like a winner!

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

adhuin posted:

Set of 96 cards (pictures ripped from comics) for $12 (includes shipping & handling)

Seems like a winner!

I guess if you've been waiting since 1999 for a OverPower(s) expansion designed by some fan with no prior experience, that's a great deal.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I think it's perfectly valid to think that by paying $10 for a poster you get to use the picture that is on that poster. You just have to use a lot of magic words and the lawyers will be scared away.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's like, the word "copyright" has the actual meaning right in it. The "Right to Copy."

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
Been out of the loop for a bit around here but I wanted to mention some projects that could be of interest and definitely have piqued my own.

Dangers Untold is being published by Ginger Goat, Josh Jordan's imprint, but the author is Shoshana Kessock. This is not quite the LARP version of the earlier Heroine, but it is definitely related. You can pledge to get [i}Heroine[/i] - which successfully Kickstarted about 18 months ago, I think - and its supplements in addition to [i}Dangers Untold[/i] if you want.

The Clay That Woke is an RPG by Paul Czege, who did My Life With Master. This one is about Minotaurs who have become more or less grunts/second-class citizens for humans in a setting that may be post-apocalypse in the far future (which D&D pretty much is if you think about it) or something else entirely. If you go for any pledge level you get a chance to see fiction about it. Lots of people are buzzing about this game, saying it is likely to become something special if it holds up.

Mecha vs Kaiju is a Fate Core game coming out soon. Apparently this one originally happened in True 20. The page promises that this will have more to it than just what the name suggests, so it might be worth a look even if you don't think it will appeal based on the name.

Shadows of Esteren has its latest project, to fund a new book in the line. This one seems to be an adventure/module centered around an investigation/mystery. I don't know what I can say about this one that the page doesn't, if you haven't heard of it yet... but note that one of the pledge levels includes a full on investigation board game. Also, the art in these books is beautiful.

Scarlet Heroes has been mentioned in the old school thread I know but I don't think it has come up here in a while. This is another game that is getting a lot of good buzz. It reached its goal for funding a conversion to e-book formats and it's possible there will be more stretch goals but right now you are going to get your materials earlier than expected if you back the project. What is it? It's an OSR rule set designed to play with one GM and one player, making the PC more heroic than usual. It also adopts some freeform systems reminiscent in some ways of Fate Aspects, 13th Age Backgrounds/OUT, and so on.

Against the Dark Yogi has been mentioned here. I am following it at $1 right now, which if you do you can get a look at the current draft of what's available. I haven't changed my pledge yet because while I downloaded it I haven't gotten to look it over yet.

Mutant Chronicles and TimeWatch are also already mentioned here but they are both worth checking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

moths posted:

I found Journey to the Overland today. Sure, I'd rather play a solo tabletop game than a solo cRPG because I'm some kind of weirdo. But I cannot figure out why he's asking $90 for the final game. It's not miniatures-intensive, and by declaring the value as $90, offering a $15 PDF option is a steal.

...Oh God I just watched the videos and backed for $15. This guy's got a vision, and that vision is a more badass Barbarian Prince.

Looks interesting but without the cards and the map, can you use the PDF for anything, or is it just a rulebook?

• Locked thread